Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2016, 07:27   #19681
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
There was an accident today on NH8 where a RE Bullet rider hit a tempo and the bike immediately caught fire in a terrible way, since it charred the rider completely even before he could even get off the bike. The rider was fully geared. RIP, the departed.
More on this here along with the pic of the charred bike.

Very unfortunate, if people would have tried to lift the bike (got burned hands), BUT may be the rider would have survived his life with burns.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/delhi/...RdATAalvI.html
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 10:31   #19682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Not an accident in India but I can't help being struck by the contrast with what'd happen if this had occurred in India.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...t-1985069.html
What a fantastic story!! An eyeopener on how the civilized society should react in the event of an accident -- no false claims, no attempt to hit and run, no one losing their calm. Thank you for sharing it.
Masda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 11:04   #19683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

Very unfortunate, if people would have tried to lift the bike (got burned hands), BUT may be the rider would have survived his life with burns.

CNG vehicles are mandated to carry a fire extinguisher. Delhi having a significant number of CNG vehicles, could an extinguisher from a nearby vehicle have been used?
Old 15th January 2016, 11:07   #19684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Video of the aftermath. It is so unfortunate to see people with their mobile phones out making video's as if they were paparazzi. If they had the same zealously to help, he could have probably been alive. As per the comments on the video, he left behind a wife and a 2 year old daughter :(

Warning: Graphic content

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2016 at 08:58. Reason: Adding bold tags
Old 15th January 2016, 12:02   #19685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is a very difficult situation to be in when you want to help , but cannot.
It is not just burnt hands you will end up with when you try go even close to a full on fire, especially when it is something highly inflammable. And being petrol, it would not have started off as a small fire in which they would have been few seconds to help.

I am sure they would have been atleast one person in the crowd who wanted to help, but could not.

Unfortunate incident.
Old 15th January 2016, 13:35   #19686
BHPian

Very unfortunate & Sad incident.
Vehicles catching fire after an accident has become more common these days.
But RE bike incident (catching fire) is first of it's kind, I think.

RushLane

Last edited by iVento : 15th January 2016 at 13:49.
Old 15th January 2016, 13:56   #19687
Team-BHP Support

I won't comment on the possibility of providing assistance, but I do think it's really crass and highly insensitive of the onlookers how they're acting in the aftermath. Curiosity is one thing, this borders on inhuman.
Old 15th January 2016, 14:17   #19688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Vehicles catching fire after an accident has become more common these days ... ... ... But RE bike incident (catching fire) is first of it's kind, I think.
It is surprising that it doesn't happen more often. I wouldn't like to be sitting on a petrol tank when sparks are flying.
Old 15th January 2016, 16:13   #19689
Senior - BHPian

Biker killed in Borim Goa. He was wearing a helmet but looks like it came off. Helmet was totally destroyed. Did not post the other images as they are not suitable for posting in pubic.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12524202_931542916936597_4490903956156936095_n.jpg  

Old 15th January 2016, 16:21   #19690
Senior - BHPian

Sad, very sad. I am appalled at so many people clicking videos and photos of such accidents. Clicking a lone mangled car etc is another thing. But, this is just lack of empathy. And all these bike accidents affirm my perception of not buying a bike again, ever. It's just not safe on our roads with so many rash drivers. Buy a cheap car instead and be safe for yourself and your family.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 21:26   #19691
Senior - BHPian

Let me understand this: There is one rider, riding a 200 kg motorcycle at supposedly high speeds, so high that after hitting a stationary vehicle he was dragged quite a distance, trapped under his own motorcycle. This guy hits a stationary vehicle, the bike skids/falls and the petrol tank bursts, the fuel is ignited and the rider and his ride are charred to death.

What exactly did the pedestrians do to deserve so much flak? They surely didn't ask him to ride so fast that he could not avoid hitting a vehicle, they did not cause a petrol leak, nor did they ignite the sparks. So they are condemned because nobody dared approach a burning 200kg bulk that could have exploded and bereaved their children and wives of a bread-winner?

Come on, be sensible.

Once the bike and the rider have been charred beyond any help, it does not matter what the onlookers are doing. At least the photos will help in some evidence gathering and maybe someone shows them to some riders and some deaths could be avoided.

Please stop blaming people who could not help victims due to reasons other than apathy. They did not cause the accident.
honeybee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 21:56   #19692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
......Once the bike and the rider have been charred beyond any help, it does not matter what the onlookers are doing......
You're right it doesn't matter (practically), but the dead man surely deserves some dignity in death?

Call me cynical, but I have a hard time believing those cellphone pics & videos will be used for anything other than grabbing some social media eyeballs.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 22:19   #19693
Senior - BHPian

What do you expect they rather did?

At least those photos and videos may be used to spread some awareness and drill some sense into some heads.

And it really doesn't matter what they did, there was nothing else they could have done.
Old 15th January 2016, 22:26   #19694
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
What do you expect they rather did?
Where did I say they should've done anything at all?

Quote:
At least those photos and videos may be used to spread some awareness and drill some sense into some heads.
One would hope so, wouldn't they? Hope dies last, even in India I suppose.

Quote:
......there was nothing else they could have done.
They probably couldn't have done anything to save him (and I never said they could/should have), but they could've chosen to show a dead man some respect rather than act like it was some cheap circus trick. Personal opinion only, YMMV.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 23:18   #19695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

They probably couldn't have done anything to save him (and I never said they could/should have), but they could've chosen to show a dead man some respect rather than act like it was some cheap circus trick. Personal opinion only, YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It is a very difficult situation to be in when you want to help , but cannot.
It is not just burnt hands you will end up with when you try go even close to a full on fire, especially when it is something highly inflammable. And being petrol, it would not have started off as a small fire in which they would have been few seconds to help.

I am sure they would have been atleast one person in the crowd who wanted to help, but could not.

Unfortunate incident.
Depending on the photos of the incident that you see, you can see easily six or more small "car" fire extinguishers there, esp near the deceased. Guess (some) people did try to help as much as they could.

RIP poor biker. Sometimes it is just destined to happen that way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks