Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:14   #19741
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Without a fwd scanning sensor to keep track of oncoming elements, it lulls one into a sense of security or 'job done'. Whereas it actually demands more awareness/alertness on the driver's part. I don't think that's one feature I'm getting used to anytime soon. lol
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:47   #19742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
A majority of these seem to have happened with probably cruise-control activated. I tried using it a couple of times on the NH4, and it has always scared me.. the constant speed that the vehicle tries to maintain irrespective of the terrain. It is artificial(It is meant to be so). Driving is more of a tuning-in with the other elements on the road. You see an '!' somewhere ahead of you and you lift your feet off the accelerator marginally. Vehicle starts reducing speed. Once the '!' is clearer, there is time enough to push the pedal back or apply brakes and evade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
OT:: Agree with you, it can be quite unnerving at times when inspite of an incline and no accelerator input, the same speed is maintained . I have never got the courage to use the CC for more than a km at a stretch. Guess it is a matter of getting used to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Without a fwd scanning sensor to keep track of oncoming elements, it lulls one into a sense of security or 'job done'. Whereas it actually demands more awareness/alertness on the driver's part. I don't think that's one feature I'm getting used to anytime soon. lol
Usually hear of cruise control being a scary feature to use only from folks who are new to it or trying it out for the first time. I find it immensely useful and as long as one has their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road, I don't think it is unnerving at all. Can't imagine buying a car that might be used for highway travel, without it. Infact I am so accustomed to it that I flick it on everytime I am travelling between cities. I just brake when I need to or for intersections and then flick it back on and let it gain speed and cruise on its own. Makes for a far less tiring journey especially on the boring Bangalore-Hyderabad highway. I find cruise control more useful on larger cars with more powerful motors because it is better than having to modulate throttle input gently over the course of a few hours on a straight road.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:49   #19743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
The speeding Mercedes rammed into two other vehicles before climbing on the pavement and running over the persons sleeping near Masjid Bunder.

However, the police managed to trace the driver and have detained him for hit-and-run accident
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle8138556.ece
He did take the time to strip the license plates of the car before he decamped. No particular use - engine block and elsewhere in the car will have all the information required. I wonder why they all do the same thing.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:57   #19744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
He did take the time to strip the license plates of the car before he decamped. No particular use - engine block and elsewhere in the car will have all the information required. I wonder why they all do the same thing.
True but perhaps the plates were never on the car. I have seen plenty of exotics running on the roads without number plates. They may be registered and everything but a lot of people seem to not want to put plates on such cars
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:20   #19745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
True but perhaps the plates were never on the car. I have seen plenty of exotics running on the roads without number plates. They may be registered and everything but a lot of people seem to not want to put plates on such cars
Possible. But even that guy in Calcutta who mowed down the air force man (Ambia Sohrab) did much the same thing, had a temp registration sticker on his car that he took the time to peel off before running away.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/116011...p#.VqIlXu995QM

Quote:
When the Audi hit another barrier and had to halt, near the South Gate of Fort William, the driver got off, peeled off the temporary number stickers from both ends of the vehicle and ran away. No policeman stopped him.
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:15   #19746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Usually hear of cruise control being a scary feature to use only from folks who are new to it or trying it out for the first time. I find it immensely useful and as long as one has their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road, I don't think it is unnerving at all.
I've used it on a lot of cars internationally, and locally - still not comfortable with the idea though.
It's great when on an empty highway and you want to cruise, but in the Indian context - there is not even one road I can see myself using it on!

Even in Switzerland, where we rented a 730Ld with Active Cruise Control, it just didn't inspire as much confidence.

The only place I found myself using CC comfortably was in the US when driving on the highway.

Thing is, with the cruise control off, the feet are a lot more closer to the pedal to react to something unexpected. With cruise control on, even if you are paying attention - I just feel it takes a second longer to react which can be a game changer in a lot of accidents.
Even Active Cruise Control is a lot more jerkier than I would ideally like it to be.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:55   #19747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
OT:: Agree with you, it can be quite unnerving at times when inspite of an incline and no accelerator input, the same speed is maintained . I have never got the courage to use the CC for more than a km at a stretch. Guess it is a matter of getting used to
Quote:
Usually hear of cruise control being a scary feature to use only from folks who are new to it or trying it out for the first time. I find it immensely useful and as long as one has their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road, I don't think it is unnerving at all.
I have very little experience of it, but actually found one British-motorway trip extremely entertaining, watching how the combination of auto transmission and cruise control kept the car speed constant. You still have to steer: I could not forget that I was driving leading to attention lapse.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 14:07   #19748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
No particular use - engine block and elsewhere in the car will have all the information required
I just hope no "to-be-offender" gets to read this post. If he/she does, then they might just become more careful, taking measures by going through and erasing all the things that could give away their identity before fleeing

Jokes apart, if the offenders ever become perfectly aware of all details, we would start having situations similar to the ones shown in movies like Dhoom
Old 24th January 2016, 14:37   #19749
Senior - BHPian

Accidents in India with Pictures

Had an eventful morning, and my car had it's first major shunt today.

My wife was driving from Doddaballapur Road, Yelahanka towards Bangalore at just after 5 this morning. After turning right at the Yelahanka Police Station towards the newly opened railway flyover there is a speed breaker for which one has to slow down. My wife slowed by releasing the accelerator, and a Bolero rammed into the left rear of the car.

The Bolero was coming from Old Town, and didn't brake at all apparently, because my car was pushed 20 degrees sideways, and my wife steered to the left of the road and stopped.

Damage assessment, a broken bumper, rear left panel outer and inner are damaged, and it seems to have been pushed forward a bit. I haven't tried the rear left door to see if it still opens. The boot lid is jammed. There are scratches leading all the way to the bottom of the rear left door.

Traffic police advised that I compromise, so wrote out letters and both parties signed. The police have given a note for the insurance claim, and I'll be giving my car to the service centre tomorrow.

Some pics of the sad state:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453625966.196415.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453626025.549788.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453626044.602467.jpg

The skid when the car was pushed by the Bolero during the shunt:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453626078.805218.jpg

The vehicle on the left is the Bolero. This is the damage to the Mahindra:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453626194.930464.jpg

Happy with the Rapid because of her stability during the impact. My wife said it was quite a severe ram, and other lighter cars would have been in worse condition at best.

Last edited by VeluM : 24th January 2016 at 14:42.
VeluM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 16:43   #19750
BHPian

That is sad to see. I hope that no one was injured.

The Bolero's bull bar took 90% of the impact, as can be seen in pictures. Bonnet and bumper is intact, and that is surprising after seeing the damage on your Rapid.

One advice I would give is to use the brake pedal everytime you slow down or turn or stop (obviously) because it not only makes a confident stopping move but also warns the driver behind you. I agree that your wife was not at fault here but maybe a flash of the brake lights would have made the Bolero driver dodge your car. I also know it is not always possible to tap the pedal when you don't slow down that much but in this case, the accident could have been avoided (or impact would have been lesser) if the Bolero driver had seen the Rapid brake. Conditions apply, that the other driver wasn't drunk or something.
swift_guy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 17:13   #19751
Senior - BHPian

Was the Bolero tailgating your wife? Especially if it is a petty politician's vehcle (asis possible from the flagpole on the bull bar) or an overloaded office cab those guys tailgate a lot, and try to squeeze past and overtake especially if they see a woman driver ahead.

More often than not, they rev their engine and nose in to overtake from the left, between your vehicle and the road divider.

Was that the case here?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 17:22   #19752
Senior - BHPian

Just out of curiosity did you point out the bull bar on the Bolero to the police? I am sure it's an aftermarket and therefore illegal fitment.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 17:36   #19753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Just out of curiosity did you point out the bull bar on the Bolero to the police? I am sure it's an aftermarket and therefore illegal fitment.
Bullbars, probably bald tyres so it wouldn't brake in time, strobe lights etc etc are standard features on any of those office cab or mofussil taxi type vehicles.

The cops immediately tried to make you compromise with them, which was the easiest way out for the cops, paperwork wise, I expect. Plus try to file a FIR and you'll be neck deep in shouting cabbies from the guy's union.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 18:29   #19754
BHPian

Last month my Skoda Octavia got its first battle scar, a very big one at that! I was two houses down from home and turning into my lane when a Yamaha Fazer(!!) sped up and slammed into the left rear door at full throttle.

Luckily the guy was just shaken but my heart sank! Just 4 months ago I brought this baby home and because of this idiot I'd lose my 5 year NCB(carried over from the previous car).

Anyway, the guys excuse was that some stray dogs started barking at him so he got so scared and tried to evade them by twisting it all the way. What a guy! Turned out he's a neighbour's driver. Tried speaking to the neighbour to get atleast the 20k NCB amount id lose but she totally made a grandma move by inviting me and my family over for dinner as as apology! What could I even say!

Total damage caused: ₹65000
Parts replaced: door and underbody lining

Some pictures-
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453640167.554423.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453640323.014905.jpg
Old 24th January 2016, 18:35   #19755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
One advice I would give is to use the brake pedal everytime you slow down or turn or stop (obviously) because it not only makes a confident stopping move but also warns the driver behind you.
It is worth knowing, (it can be checked with the car, using reflections from something behind it) how much pressure is needed on the pedal to turn on the brake lights. It is then a very good idea to give that touch, as a signal, even if actual braking is not required.

But there is nothing that really deter the tail-gating idiots.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks