Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2016, 20:06   #19756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is worth knowing, (it can be checked with the car, using reflections from something behind it) how much pressure is needed on the pedal to turn on the brake lights. It is then a very good idea to give that touch, as a signal, even if actual braking is not required.

But there is nothing that really deter the tail-gating idiots.
I also learnt it the hard way. There is a stretch near my place where I always used engine braking to slow the car down a bit. One day, I was rear ended (in Alto) by a Verna as the guy was travelling through that stretch for the first time and didn't know that I was slowing down. From then onwards, I use brakes always and do not use engine braking anymore. With brake lights lit up, the person following prepares to stop his car and basically tries to increase the distance from your car. This is a good technique to keep tailgaters at bay and is very natural for followers to stop or slow down after seeing the brake lights lit (especially third lamp, and it happens with all of us).
Old 24th January 2016, 20:18   #19757

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Dense Fog Leads To 20-Car Pile Up On Yamuna Expressway Near Delhi

Link: http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/dense...-delhi-1269411
Some more pics http://www.ndtv.com/photos/news/delh...1#photo-190023

And here's a horrible case of car ramming into a truck without under-run bar (same pile up). Doesn't look like driver would have survived.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-yamunaexpresswaypileup_650x400_41453615761.jpg
StringerBell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 20:39   #19758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
That is sad to see. I hope that no one was injured.

One advice I would give is to use the brake pedal everytime you slow down or turn or stop (obviously) because it not only makes a confident stopping move but also warns the driver behind you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is worth knowing, (it can be checked with the car, using reflections from something behind it) how much pressure is needed on the pedal to turn on the brake lights. It is then a very good idea to give that touch, as a signal, even if actual braking is not required.

But there is nothing that really deter the tail-gating idiots.
Quote:
I also learnt it the hard way. There is a stretch near my place where I always used engine braking to slow the car down a bit. One day, I was rear ended (in Alto) by a Verna as the guy was travelling through that stretch for the first time and didn't know that I was slowing down. From then onwards, I use brakes always and do not use engine braking anymore.
Simple solution to all this is just to be more aware of your surroundings . Looking into the IRVM and ORVMS every now and then should be enough to asses what kind braking is needed.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 22:00   #19759
BHPian

Reportedly 20 or 25 cars crashed on Yamuna Expressway today due to dense fog. No lives were lost but many cars were damaged.

A link to related article -

http://m.ndtv.com/delhi-news/dense-f...-delhi-1269411

Anyone has more info about this?
Old 25th January 2016, 10:54   #19760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Happy with the Rapid because of her stability during the impact. My wife said it was quite a severe ram, and other lighter cars would have been in worse condition at best.
Sad to see the damage done to the car, but happy that you folks are safe.

Quote:
One advice I would give is to use the brake pedal everytime you slow down or turn or stop (obviously) because it not only makes a confident stopping move but also warns the driver behind you.
Second that. I consciously use the brake pedal whenever I slow down - be it a speed breaker / slow moving traffic or even during crossing an empty inter-section just to let the vehicles behind know of that I am slowing down or might slow down (in case of someone crossing the empty inter-section suddenly from no-where). This could avoid some potential rear-endings since most of the people I know of used to follow the tail-lamps of the preceding cars for braking.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 12:47   #19761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Second that. I consciously use the brake pedal whenever I slow down - be it a speed breaker / slow moving traffic or even during crossing an empty inter-section just to let the vehicles behind know of that I am slowing down or might slow down (in case of someone crossing the empty inter-section suddenly from no-where). This could avoid some potential rear-endings since most of the people I know of used to follow the tail-lamps of the preceding cars for braking.
Completely agree. Also, I do put on the parking lights while i am approaching the speed breakers to make my intentions of slowing down clear while driving between 12 am -6 am on any stretch. Have found this practice very useful till date.
Old 25th January 2016, 13:02   #19762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleash_thunder View Post

Completely agree. Also, I do put on the parking lights while i am approaching the speed breakers to make my intentions of slowing down clear while driving between 12 am -6 am on any stretch. Have found this practice very useful till date.
Not clear. Between 12am and 6am in any case headlamps will be switched on. So by default parking lights will also be on. Maybe you meant to say hazard lights??
rajivr1612 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 13:15   #19763
BHPian

Quote:
Parking lights, at a mere 5w, mostly go unnoticed during day or early evening time. Brake lights are 3 or 4 times as powerful and are a safer solution. Brake lights are rated at 21w IIRC and you get additional benefit from third stop lamp (high mount one). Drive slow and brake early (and lightly). Some of my friends even make fun of me for this practice, they say "You stop like Delhi Metro!!".

And yes I am also not clear why one won't use parking lights (+ headlights) during night hours. Using hazard lights (i.e. blinkers) is also a wrong practice.

Last edited by swift_guy : 25th January 2016 at 13:20.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 13:19   #19764
Senior - BHPian

While I am speechless at the use of hazard lights for slowing down as these self thought rules make our roads and traffic more unpredictable and dangerous, but as there is nothing which can indicate engine braking or slowing down, that's the only way to go. But it is the duty of the driver to switch them off as soon as the job is done else it will create a potential dangerous situation.

Last edited by carwatcher : 25th January 2016 at 13:20.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 13:20   #19765
BHPian

Quote:
Parking lights, at a mere 5w, mostly go unnoticed during day or early evening time. Brake lights are 3 or 4 times as powerful and are a safer solution. Brake lights are rated at 21w IIRC and you get additional benefit from third stop lamp (high mount one).

And yes I am also not clear why one won't use parking lights (+ headlights) during night hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Not clear. Between 12am and 6am in any case headlamps will be switched on. So by default parking lights will also be on. Maybe you meant to say hazard lights??
Sorry for the typo and thanks for pointing the same out. I meant the hazard lights. I usually put on the same while approaching the speed breakers and put it off once i am ahead of it.
unleash_thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 16:59   #19766
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the typo and thanks for pointing the same out. I meant the hazard lights. I usually put on the same while approaching the speed breakers and put it off once i am ahead of it.
Thank you for your clarification. However, I would highly recommend you to stop this incorrect practice.

The best way as suggested earlier would be to drive slow and brake early and keep watching your rear view mirrors for any signs of "danger" coming from behind you and take evasive action if necessary.

Use of hazard lights is best left to when there is an actual hazard.

Cheers and drive safe.
anvara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 18:27   #19767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvara View Post
Use of hazard lights is best left to when there is an actual hazard.
In particular, there is usually no reason to switch on the hazard lights in a moving vehicle. Usage of hazard lights should restricted to stationary vehicles.
Old 25th January 2016, 18:31   #19768
BHPian

This is from an accident that happened today in front of my house. The power company had dug up the trench that you see. I was inside the house when this happened, so no idea what actually occured. The driver apparently had run away. There was a lady there, giving her version of the events. Since I cannot understand the local language if spoken too fast, I can't elaborate.

What got my goat was what happened in front of my eyes. There were two guys that were standing around the vehicle, calling the cops and all. One guy turns to the other and asks 'shall I break (it)?' and the other guy goes 'Sure,go ahead, also break the others too' nonchalantly. To my horror, the first guy picks up a basketball sized stone and throws it at the rear window!! I was like 'Woah, woah, brothers, why??' He replies in Hindi, "that guy has hit several other cars on the way" I was on the relative safety of my balcony, so didn't venture with more questions. The guy who threw the rock didn't break any more windows and slinked away.

Can we even term this vigilante justice? Or is it perverted fun at someone elses expense?

I looked again at the windshield closely, because I was thinking that the car had hit somebody due to the round indentation in it. I could see fresh mud trailing from the indentation to the ground ending up to a rock. I'm not going to draw any conclusions.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p_20160125_083258_1_p.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p_20160125_074034_1_p_1.jpg  

Old 26th January 2016, 10:06   #19769
BHPian

20 car pile up accident caused due to fog on Yamuna expressway

http://www.hindustantimes.com/delhi/...vyVVPeVfN.html

Check the video here
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...14060312026650
Old 26th January 2016, 11:19   #19770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I was thinking that the car had hit somebody due to the round indentation in it. I could see fresh mud trailing from the indentation to the ground ending up to a rock.
Yep, along with the indentations, there are visible scraping marks (presumably fresh ones) over right rear door and fender. The driver must've done shambles, trying to flee away only to end up in that trench!

Just my speculation!
Pferdestarke is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed