Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 12:29   #19891
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The worst part of the news was that after the brave youth was lying on the road writhing in pain on the account of his body being sliced into two, onlookers were busy capturing videos of the same rather than attending on him immediately.
This guy had the mental gumption to think clearly with half his body cut and donate his organs for people who left him on the road. This is no ordinary guy.
A true yogi, to view his body without attachment. May this great soul rest in peace.
JediKnight is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 15:32   #19892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
Here, the guy did not have a helmet and fell face-on.
On reviewing this, it is a clear case of jay walking and rash/negligent riding. The road in fact appears to be good!

No - our country will never improve till some massive restructuring is done in the system and the issue is who will bell the cat!
Old 18th February 2016, 16:23   #19893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_wheel View Post
Fair enough question. This accident should be a reality check for bikers and scooterists. They are not invincible and their bodies are as fragile as eggshells.
All over the world, motorbikes are the most dangerous form of transport. Here, bikers treat them as if they are simply walking on the pavement. I'm sure they consider themselves as pedestrians, unable to do or suffer harm from simply colliding with someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
The below incident happened yesterday which shows a stark contrast from what happened to the departed soul Harish

Here, the guy did not have a helmet and fell face-on. Some people helped him get up and this guy gets up and walks off as though nothing happened. In this incident, you can see negligent behavior from both the rider and the pedestrian. ... ... ...
The pedestrian is carrying a helmet, so I guess he is a biker too. What is it with these people?
Old 19th February 2016, 16:15   #19894
BHPian

12 die in truck-lorry collision in Karnataka

Chitradurga (KTK), Feb 19, 2016, (PTI):
As many as 12 persons were killed in a head-on collision between a mini-truck carrying them and a lorry on a national highway near here in today, police said.
As many as 12 persons were killed in a head-on collision between a mini-truck carrying them and a lorry on a national highway near here in today, police said.

The victims, including a woman, were heading back home after taking part in 'Bhajans' at a temple the early hours when the incident happened near Chikkagondanahalli.
All the 12 persons died on the spot, police added.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...collision.html
Old 19th February 2016, 18:43   #19895
BHPian

I thought I would share a rather unfortunate incident where I was the victim of an accident.

About a month back, I had picked up cycling as a hobby. I consulted with a friend of mine who is a serious cycling enthusiast. Bought a cycle and all the necessary accessories including helmet, reflective bracelets, led and laser lights to alert other fellow road users about my presence.

Today morning at around 6:30 AM, I was calmly cycling along Thrissur-Shornur road. I was occupying the left most part of the left lane. I had all my safety gear on. I was just enjoying the rush of morning breeze across my face as I pedaled along when BAM! An impact from behind sent me and my bike crashing to the ground! The fall seemed rather long, as I can recollect the intricate details of what happened next. A Hero Splendor writhing away from me, swaying violently, sliding and finally crashing and grinding on to the tarmac that was ahead of me. It was then that I realised what just happened. A surging pain shot off from my right leg. I just lied and twisted in pain as people came rushing to the scene. They slowly picked up the two guys who were riding the motorcycle. One was bleeding from his face, and the other was apparently shaken. I slowly stood up, albeit painfully and was relieved to see that my leg was still in one piece. I had some abrasions and contusions throughout my body, especially my right side. I was wearing the team bhp jacket as well, which soaked up some of the road rash! But the worrying factor was the leg. The onlookers arranged an auto into which the motorcyclists were accommodated. They asked me to get in too , to which I politely refused, seeing that they're much more in need of medical attention than I am. I am a doctor myself so I decided to treat my injuries myself. Also, my parents were waiting for my arrival back home. They had come to visit me and was preparing to leave when I came back after my cycling session. I couldn't let them get anxious. I collected the numbers of the Splendor riders and their friends who were following on another motorcycle. Took some photos of the involved motorcycle and it's license plate. After some time, some of the riders' friends also showed up who apologised and was ready to settle any financial claim that I may have. I told them I will inform them later after evaluating the damage and sent them back to their injured friends.

Now, I wanted to be angry, really angry at these people for harming me (although accidentally) and ruining my cycle, my leg and my day. But the looks on their faces, it reminded me of myself a couple years back. They were apparently sorry (or at least looked that way), in pain, and afraid. Somehow I couldn't bring myself to boiling point. They were just a bunch of teenagers with lousy driving skills. But if I consider the big picture, I consider me and those boys immensely lucky. There was some traffic behind us and this could have ended really, really bad for the both of us. I later called them up to check if they are ok, which they were, luckily.

Now I ask my fellow team bhp members, was I too naive? Should I have been more stringent? I haven't yet informed the police either. Some of my friends with whom I shared this experience weren't too keen on me letting them go so easily. But to tell the truth, I almost thought that this was the end for me. It all happened so fast and so violently. And I really am grateful for me being able to pen this down over here today. And that kinda trumped whatever anger that was spooling up in my mind. I do feel upset, but not angry.

I hope this serves as a reminder to everyone reading this. No matter how skilled you are, how prepared you are, how safe you think you are, there's some unexpected incident waiting to unravel an unfortunate turn of events. That's the unpredictability of our Indian roads. Drive safe!

OT: Everyone asks us to be optimistic, so here's a light moment that happened in between all that commotion. While I was picking myself up from the ground, hazy, confused, and in pain, I noticed a white car which pulled over. I was just looking at those wavy LED patterns in the car's tail lights as if I were in a trance and wondered 'Hmmm! This seems familiar. Is that a BMW 3-er or a 5-er?' Suddenly one of the on-lookers shook my shoulders and asked me if I was alright. Reality stormed into my head and among my cries of pain and despair was a tiny bit of disappointment when I realised ' Ah damn! that's just a Cruze with a modified tail light!!'

Last edited by GKR9900 : 19th February 2016 at 18:47.
GKR9900 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 19:50   #19896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Now, I wanted to be angry, really angry at these people for harming me (although accidentally) and ruining my cycle, my leg and my day. But the looks on their faces, it reminded me of myself a couple years back. They were apparently sorry (or at least looked that way), in pain, and afraid. Somehow I couldn't bring myself to boiling point. They were just a bunch of teenagers with lousy driving skills. But if I consider the big picture, I consider me and those boys immensely lucky. There was some traffic behind us and this could have ended really, really bad for the both of us. I later called them up to check if they are ok, which they were, luckily.

Now I ask my fellow team bhp members, was I too naive? Should I have been more stringent? ... ... ...
You are a kind, generous and understanding man. What the bike driver did was only "accidental" in that he didn't run you down on purpose; lousy driving and negligence cannot be described as accidental.

I cannot fault your actions, but I hope they, and especially the driver, are sufficiently shocked to learn a lesson, and, at the very least, look where they are going.

Hope you are fully recovered now? And the bicycle?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 00:56   #19897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post

About a month back, I had picked up cycling as a hobby. .. Bought a cycle and all the necessary accessories including helmet, reflective bracelets, led and laser lights to alert other fellow road users about my presence.

...I was occupying the left most part of the left lane. I had all my safety gear on. ....An impact from behind sent me and my bike crashing to the ground! ......I just lied and twisted in pain as people came rushing to the scene.

Now, I wanted to be angry, really angry at these people for harming me .....But to tell the truth, I almost thought that this was the end for me. It all happened so fast and so violently. And I really am grateful for me being able to pen this down over here today. .....That's the unpredictability of our Indian roads. Drive safe!
While cycling is definitely an environment friendly option and would help in keeping fit, I want to highlight the dark side of cycling as a hobby on our Indian roads.

The fact as per statistics in India is cyclists (apart from pedestrians) are the highest risk group of getting hit by all other class of motor vehicles and ending up with serious injuries/fatalities.
I'm aware that cycling enthusiasts may have optimistic views but unless there are dedicated and safe cycling tracks, its better not to take cycling as a hobby for daily commute and increase the risk factor. The vast majority of cyclists in India are however doing it due to economic hardships and limited alternatives.

Its a different thing in Europe where there are dedicated cycle tracks and I've observed most people cycling on the foot paths/pavements in the UK which is safer compared to cycling on the road with all the fast moving vehicles zipping past.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 20th February 2016 at 01:03.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 10:53   #19898
BHPian

Today morning saw the pic of Maruti Baleno (brand new) in an accident at Faridabad.

Accident happened at midnight when Baleno driver was racing with a BMW car and lost control while trying to over take him. He was drunk at that time and was doing high speed.

After loosing control car went off road hit the tree from side and front of the car went up like its doing some short jump. Than it went straight into a wall before coming to halt. In this whole incident car rolled over as well.

Good thing that all people survived (Some folks were saying there was only driver, few other saying there were 3 people). However today everyone was bashing driver for being careless and negligent. Everyone standing there was also complimenting "Airbags" for saving his life as he came out with minor injuries.

No comment on Baleno build quality. I did not witness accident so i am not sure how well it has taken the damage, I am just glad that people understanding Airbags importance and all car should come with 2 Airbags + ABS as standard.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7fe4a22f786c4140a2859310ca150c06.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-0b8aa49b0cb344dabb05f68ea2d1a54e.png

Half the tree. It split in two and other half was lying someplace else
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-efce29923bf7409185665c3c891a9050.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4c5684d6e1384f7a820ed9aa28d9046a.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-425e7ee8832f4fc2a0647b8fd8466f9a.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-d90ec0f8b8af4fbea3d21ce0e1546522.jpeg

Last edited by karansm4u : 20th February 2016 at 11:04.
karansm4u is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 11:19   #19899
BHPian

A oil tanker crash near Lonavala on the Mumbai - Pune expressway, anyone has an update?
Old 20th February 2016, 13:30   #19900
BHPian

Just passed through. Huge pile up on both sides. Backtracked via Khopoli on the old highway which too was packed. However reached Pune in 6 hours.
Old 20th February 2016, 17:13   #19901
Senior - BHPian

Saw this image on facebook. It was posted mentioning it was an accident near ITPL/Whitefield. Is it true? or is it a photoshop?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12728840_930443713710119_5177715235386861636_n.jpg

If it indeed is true, wondering how on earth it must have happened?
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 17:39   #19902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Saw this image on facebook. It was posted mentioning it was an accident near ITPL/Whitefield. Is it true? or is it a photoshop?

Attachment 1478367

It is true. Happened quite sometime ago though and was posted here as well. Don't think it's Bangalore.
Old 20th February 2016, 21:30   #19903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It is true. Happened quite sometime ago though and was posted here as well. Don't think it's Bangalore.
This was posted in this thread, 5 years back. And its says, Trichy(Tamil Nadu).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2530776

Last edited by arun_josie : 20th February 2016 at 21:31.
Old 20th February 2016, 21:40   #19904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thanks tharian. I thought so too but didn't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This was posted in this thread, 5 years back. And its says, Trichy(Tamil Nadu).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2530776
Woah! I didn't know that. Just saw on facebook and was surprised seeing the car standing like that!

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 20th February 2016 at 21:41.
Old 20th February 2016, 23:57   #19905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
Just passed through. Huge pile up on both sides. Backtracked via Khopoli on the old highway which too was packed. However reached Pune in 6 hours.
That was the scene today... I got stuck for two hours. Many trucks and cars broke down on their lanes compounding the problem. Really bad situation...
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1455992728987.jpg  

Last edited by sukhoi30 : 21st February 2016 at 00:01.
sukhoi30 is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed