Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 12:20   #19951
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This is the entry from APPA on the Hyderabad ORR.

Its a two lane road with the toll guy sitting in a booth in the middle. The left hand side is entry. The right hand side is blocked. There are concrete barriers kept there. There is NO way anyone can enter from that side.
Every car that enters from the left has to take a toll ticket.
They then proceed in the same left lane towards the ORR.
The lane merges about 300 meters away.

To come next to my car, a driver will start from 0 kmph. Then after 3 meters turn a sharp right.

When I go down for lunch, I can get my dash cam video. That will show this much clearly.

Attachment 1480332

If you refer my zoom out picture from before you will realize there is a long way to go before the road merges into the ORR.
now it is clear on what exactly you were trying to tell. i had a look into the picture again and it is pretty clear from the 'color shade' of the road between those two lanes. the lane where you have parked your vehicle looks 'unused' lane for may be another 100m or so.
kavensri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 12:24   #19952
Senior - BHPian

For those who say the Sail is parked haphazardly, please also note the difference in shade of the road which clearly shows the path that is used compared to were the Sail is parked.

Also it is clear that this is a entry road to join the ORR and is soon after a toll booth and not a high speed section.
If that was the case, I think the authorities would have had the mind to not leave the Tavera parked there either.

A picture is posted to highlight the use of seatbelts and the poster gets flamed .

Last edited by tharian : 25th February 2016 at 12:25.
tharian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 14:22   #19953
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Maybe not buying your kid a powerful, light bike as his first would be a good start.......
+1.

I remember the time dad bought me my first 'bike'. The first-gen Pulsars were all the rage right then, and I obviously was keen on one (the blue shade was lovely).

Dad's reaction to my demands: "You need to learn to stand and walk before you can run".

I obviously didn't need the Pulsar, I just wanted one. He bought me a - wait for it - Hero Puch Automatic! I was furious but he was firm. The day of delivery, we stopped at a helmet store and he let me pick a (pricey by my standards) Schuberth for my first helmet. I was still grumpy, the old guy selling helmets was obviously no stranger to the scene and asked me what 'bike' I'd got. He smiled at my reply and sent me off with an enigmatic "You're pissed now, but you'll thank your dad for the Puch and the helmet one day". Dad had only one condition: "I ever find out you rode a two-wheeler without a helmet even once, that would be the last time you rode one while living under my roof".

Youthful exuberance soon took over and I rode that lovely contraption of a moped everywhere I went for TWO years, my Schuberth strapped on. I also rode his (unused but well-maintained) Vespa T5 occasionally (lovely pice of kit, that scooter). Second year in college, Dad made up some excuse on a weekend and took me to the local Bajaj showroom. Turns out he'd booked a Blue Pulsar 150 UG2 for me! Neither of us actually liked the blue anymore, so we switched to a black one. His only words when he handed over the keys: "You're ready for it now, but the helmet rule stays unchanged".

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th February 2016 at 14:32.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 22:43   #19954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Found this beside the entry toll gate at APPA on Hyderabad ORR.

Toll gate guy said there were no fatalities. But this is such a classic example of no seatbelts worn.
As I can see from the map, the road is one way. Did the Tavera hit the toll/concrete barrier on that stretch or was the driver coming the wrong way? Asking because the Tavera is strangely facing the toll/barrier.
Old 25th February 2016, 22:55   #19955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
As I can see from the map, the road is one way. Did the Tavera hit the toll/concrete barrier on that stretch or was the driver coming the wrong way? Asking because the Tavera is strangely facing the toll/barrier.
No idea on where exactly the accident happened. There was no other car involved or at least none in the vicinity.

There are police tow trucks that keep a watch on this sector and keep the ORR free of debris.
I once came across a tire that had fallen off a truck and even as I pulled over to the side, a patrol had reached the spot.

A kilometer later I came across a truck loaded with tires and a driver tying the ropes. So I told him he had lost a tire some distance back and to go and pick it up.
Old 28th February 2016, 12:43   #19956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Or might be it is a relatively safe parking space, where the authorities park vehicles that get into accidents before being towed away. We often see this near toll booths in roads across India.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 13:36   #19957
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday morning when another BHPian and I were riding to Salem, near Hosur we saw an accident which was causing a block on the road heading towards Salem. There was glass everywhere on the road.

The accident seemed to have happened during the night - two TNSTC buses had a head-on collision. The one coming from the Salem side was on the wrong side of the road. Not sure about the casualties.

What's there any news of this?
Old 28th February 2016, 14:09   #19958
Senior - BHPian

Bus runs amok in Banjara Hills

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-155958-1.jpg

A TSRTC bus rammed a car, an auto and a two-wheeler at Banjara Hills owing to brake failure, which also led to a massive traffic jam there on Saturday evening[/center]

A city bus ran amok extensively damaging a car and an auto-rickshaw moving in the same direction at Care hospital on road no. 1 of Banjara Hills on Saturday.

Two other cars and a two-wheeler were also damaged but fortunately no person was injured. The bus was going from Punjagutta side to Banjara Hills when its brakes reportedly failed. The driver lost control and rammed the vehicles in the front crushing a car and another auto-rickshaw.

Traffic flow went out of gear for over an hour following the road accident on the bustling Banjara Hills main road. The driver was detained and being questioned.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...ece?ref=tpnews

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th February 2016 at 14:42. Reason: Image uploaded. Please upload images to the forum's servers directly instead of image hosts. Thanks!
Old 28th February 2016, 20:00   #19959
Senior - BHPian

Saw an accident that happened on the new airport road flyover between Yelahanka and ITC factory around 4p.

Looked like a KA Govt registered Ford Classic had lost control and side swiped a LCV which probably was on the fast or middle lane. The Ford had extensive damage on its right starting from the headlamp to the rear door. The headlamp , right side of the hood , fender and drivers door was completely damaged.
From the pattern of damage on the car it looked like the car had rammed its side on the LCV either due to the LCV cutting lanes or the car driver loosing control.
There were cops and an ambulance and not much traffic held up being a Sunday.
Old 28th February 2016, 22:12   #19960
BHPian

There were two accidents, each involving multiple vehicles near vikravandi toll gate.
One(happened in the afternoon) involved a mini Lorry overturning and being hit the three vehicles closely tailing it.
The next one,a bit later tonight, involved 4 heavy trucks with the leading one crashing on the steel median and the other following ones hitting it from behind. Traffic was held up for about 30 minutes in both cases and I couldn't take any pictures as I was driving alone.
Old 29th February 2016, 00:12   #19961
Senior - BHPian

Here's one way to avoid accidents,

Stick a loved one's photo on the speedo.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12790937_849109385211452_7769954679878726747_n.jpg

Will make you think twice before you have the itch to do a top speed check.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 06:56   #19962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

More than sticking one's kids photo onto the speedo, the very thought that you have a family back home waiting for you (and not for your dead body) assumes prime significance.
Even on 6/4lane highways, the difference between going at 120+ and 80-85 kmph consistently does not result in a drastic time saving.
In fact in the former, stress levels will be on the higher side due to concentration levels, reaction time is all the more less in the event of sudden braking. Let us leave aside the vehicle fuel efficiency aspect.
As a person who has driven long distance routes by adhering to the latter speed levels, I can say with a degree of confidence that from the safety point of view on Indian highways, driving at preferably below 90 kmph is desirable. You will never know when some moron will drive in the wrong direction, suddenly cut in your driving lane, some pedestrian suddenly ventures in your driving path, vehicle ahead of you does not have tail lights working and is forced to come to a stop as a result of which you are not able to control your vehicle's driving speed...and the list continues
suresh_gs is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 07:35   #19963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks like he has kept the limit as 100kmh, the kids photo is stuck exactly there.

OT:Which car's speedo is this?
Old 29th February 2016, 07:56   #19964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's one way to avoid accidents, Stick a loved one's photo on the speedo.
I was on BM Road yesterday; there were many cars where the loved ones were actually inside the vehicle but that didn't deter the driver from driving rashly. In one particularly egregious case, there was this KL-55 registered A-Star with (my impression) husband driving, wife and child on front passenger seat and granny in the rear. The guy was shockingly bad; weaving in and out of traffic, squeezing between vehicles, occasionally going off the road etc.

Apparently the NTCP, with its pictorial warnings and short movies shown in theatres, is actually reducing tobacco consumption in India; that looks like a promising avenue to explore if MoRTH is interested.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 09:31   #19965
BHPian

CM escapes unhurt in car accident at Ettumanur

The Chief Minister’s car which fell into an open drainage near Kanakkari off Ettumanur.
Details:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...rue?w=alstates
Quote:Later, Mr. Chandy told media persons that a major accident was averted since he was wearing the seat belt. He was asleep when the accident occurred.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kerala.jpg  

Last edited by virgopal : 29th February 2016 at 09:32.

Most Viewed