Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 12:16   #20431
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Yes. Just saw the pictures clearly. The car is on service road

He must have swerved to avoid something at high-speed and crossed over the divider (in that event he managed to break the axle) and got the car stopped on the service road

Whatever caused him to take such a diversion in a hurry, glad that he is fine and sorry that he has to pay through his nose for this incident
Old 26th April 2016, 12:56   #20432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
These pics were posted in Team Fiat Fb page. Reason cited: Careless and overconfident driving of TD car
I wish the author could have put some thought on it before writing it as the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Iam unable to understand why everyone here is so shocked?
Obviously the car has hit something and there is underbody damage, so consequently the RHS driveshaft and suspension arms are broken. This can happen to any vehicle be it a 3 series or a Punto.
Buddy, what are the objects coming to your mind when you say 'the car has hit something' and it caused this kind of damage? There is no visible damage to the front bumper. Objects which does not harm the bumper will obviously let rest of the car to pass over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I'm guessing this car went over some big potholes at high-speed resulting in this situation. Even if this guess is true, it is horrifying to know an axle can be broken just by going over bad roads at high speed
Agree with you. A deep pothole is the only external factor, I can think of, which can contribute to this kind of damage. And as you said, high speed can be an add-on factor here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asivan View Post
From my experience, it is not just going over the pothole that causes the damage, it is in fact compounded when you apply the brakes while going over it. Definitely causes more loads on the track rod, lower control arm and the suspension joints. In such cases, this scenario is definitely plausible.
Agree with you. Hard braking while hitting a deep pothole at high speed increases the possibility of such a mishap. But I'm surprised to see that there are no scratch marks on the road due to the underbody hitting the road. Also I am wondering how the rear tyre became flat!!
Old 26th April 2016, 13:25   #20433
BHPian

Very sad scene and obviously raises many questions, but I am happy that no one is hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Whatever it is, poor guy, he went to take a test drive and would now have to pay a 6 digit amount

Does the insurance not cover this kind of damages?
I think it should!

Last edited by Zappo : 27th April 2016 at 14:03. Reason: Please construct proper English sentences when you type out your posts. There were too many errors that had to be edited.
Old 26th April 2016, 13:28   #20434
Senior - BHPian

Test drive cars are insured and hence the driver should not have to pay a penny from his pocket.

But the message from these pictures is clear, people need to be more careful while doing a TD. Far too often, you see people driving rashly just because its a TD. That is ridiculous and a danger to people in the car, on the road, and to yourself.

Buckle up, drive safe.
Lalvaz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 13:43   #20435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchanna View Post
Isn't it the insurance covers this kinda damages?
I think it should!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Test drive cars are insured and hence the driver should not have to pay a penny from his pocket.
Need not be covered. Our law only makes a third party insurance mandatory.
So most of the dealers would have only third party insurance if any.
There are many cases where there is no insurance cover for a demo car.

Also before we take a test drive, many dealers take our signature on a sheet with our DL details. The fine print in this sheet usually mentions that the damages will be borne by the driver.
In lucky cases, there will be some cover too but a rarity in our country as far as I know

There are already discussions on this very own forum on this topic:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sured-not.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...need-help.html (Accident during Test Drive... Need Help)
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 14:28   #20436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post

Buddy, what are the objects coming to your mind when you say 'the car has hit something' and it caused this kind of damage? There is no visible damage to the front bumper. Objects which does not harm the bumper will obviously let rest of the car to pass over it.

Dear Sir, it's not obvious that an object that does not harm the bumper cannot harm anything else below it. Kindly look the the height of the divider and imagine taking any other hatch over it at 100+ kmph. The outcome would be similar.

Maybe we should wait for the actual reason behind this instead of jumping to conclusions.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 15:40. Reason: Edited quoted posts for better readability
Suraj25 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 14:53   #20437
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a thread about one ecosport axle issue. Owner had blamed it as car's fault but later it turned out be due to impact. I see something similar here.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 11:17   #20438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Need not be covered. Our law only makes a third party insurance mandatory.
Oops....Hope luxury car guys don't do it.
Am about to go for a TD of 3 series. Planning to keep my house beyond TD too
Old 27th April 2016, 13:25   #20439
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

My colleague's cousin sister and husband perished in a freak accident 2 days ago- they were returning from a function in Kadri (in Andhra Pradesh), and was on the way to Gangavati in Karnataka.

It was a brand new TUV 300(circa 6 months old)- my colleague's driver swapped places with his brother-in-law. The driver and kids are doing ok albeit one kid suffered a major injury and is now deemed out of danger. Let's pray for the deceased souls.

Pictures below:
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_7678.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_7679.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_7680.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_7681.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_7682.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_7683.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_7684.jpg  

jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 13:32   #20440
Distinguished - BHPian

What's freak about that accident? I cannot read telugu.
Old 27th April 2016, 13:36   #20441
BHPian

It bumped into a wall in the wee hours- could classify as a 'freak' accident albeit subjective.
Old 27th April 2016, 13:43   #20442
Senior - BHPian

Condolences to the grieving family members :-(
A very tragic moment for the kids. Losing parents would leave a mark in their lives forever :-( Hope they recover from this trauma.

I see that cabin intrusion is less compared to other gruesome accidents.
People sitting in the front would have been more impacted that the ones at the rear, had the rear passengers belted up. If not, the rear passengers would have been thrown towards the back of the front seats causing harm to both the front and rear passengers.

Indeed a freak accident where ramming into a wall causes such loss of lives.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 14:46   #20443
BHPian

This happened on Monday, near Electronic city, two days ago. I was an eye witness and was driving parallel in the service road. The tipper first hit the divider on it's right and there was a huge sound, next thing is he must have swerved left and went right into the Honda City on it's left. I tried to stop and help, however a large crowd gathered and I was a little shaken. Could not take pictures, received a picture on whatsapp from a colleague. Adding that photograph, does anyone have any news on this accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0294.jpg  

Old 27th April 2016, 15:06   #20444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
My colleague's cousin sister and husband perished in a freak accident 2 days ago- they were returning from a function in Kadri (in Andhra Pradesh), and was on the way to Gangavati in Karnataka.

It was a brand new TUV 300(circa 6 months old)- my colleague's driver swapped places with his brother-in-law. The driver and kids are doing ok albeit one kid suffered a major injury and is now deemed out of danger. Let's pray for the deceased souls.

Pictures below:
Cabin intrusion is quite less, so if all had been belted up, IMHO it was survivable. However, whats more alarming is the fact that the body has separated from the chassis. TUV300 is a body-on-frame construction, so could it be that there is some compromise in build quality on that front? If so, I would be very shocked! Or, is it normal for such a separation to happen, due to the nature of the design?
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 17:08   #20445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
This happened on Monday, near Electronic city, two days ago. I was an eye witness and was driving parallel in the service road. The tipper first hit the divider on it's right and there was a huge sound, next thing is he must have swerved left and went right into the Honda City on it's left. I tried to stop and help, however a large crowd gathered and I was a little shaken. Could not take pictures, received a picture on whatsapp from a colleague. Adding that photograph, does anyone have any news on this accident.
A colleague of mine who saw the accident told me that the tipper was in the AH43 road and it hit the divider on its left, crossed over and entered the BETL road and hit the car which was on the BETL road.

Yesterday the truck was still parked there to block the opening it had made in the divider so that people don't enter the BETL for free.

Most Viewed