Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2016, 01:26   #20491
BHPian

This incident brings up a question to mind; how come there is no regulations for safety parameters of at least one kind for fragile public transport like these flimsy Rick's? They are carrying passengers who are paying and not like a bike where the pillion is not a customer or is it just part of being Indian....? Bhagwan bharose?
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 09:59   #20492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
or is it just part of being Indian....? Bhagwan bharose?

Aptly said ! This is the main problem. Forget Bhagwan bharose, the main issue is "chalta hai attitude". I though with the rise of ola/uber, people would stop using autos completely, but that has not happened. I'm sure most people won't mind paying 40-60 bucks more for a safer and comfortable journey. More so if you are 4 people and will need 2 autos.

I've so much against autos (rash driving, over charging, etc) that'll I'll rather walk than take an auto. And in Navi Mumbai, if you ignore the base fare of uberGo, it is actually cheaper than auto per km!
Old 6th May 2016, 11:07   #20493
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I'm sure most people won't mind paying 40-60 bucks more for a safer and comfortable journey.
Ha. B-schools teach that Indians are inherently price-conscious, but to what extent - only life lessons can tell. In my opinion, a large percentage of Indians WILL compromise personal safety and comfort to save a few rupees.
Old 6th May 2016, 11:17   #20494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In my opinion, a large percentage of Indians WILL compromise personal safety and comfort to save a few rupees.

Agree. People wear helmets to save fines. And I've been constantly mocked for wearing helmet, gloves and jacket in this stifling heat. But at the end of the day I know that if I'm involved in a crash I have a higher chance of walking it away rather than being wheeled in the hospital with uncertain future!

But what I don't understand is why don't people buying 10+lakh cars with free seat belts not wear them? Sorry to say this but such people will learn only when they are involved in an accident by when it'll be too late.
Old 6th May 2016, 11:36   #20495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Aptly said ! This is the main problem. Forget Bhagwan bharose, the main issue is "chalta hai attitude". I though with the rise of ola/uber, people would stop using autos completely, but that has not happened. I'm sure most people won't mind paying 40-60 bucks more for a safer and comfortable journey. More so if you are 4 people and will need 2 autos.

I've so much against autos (rash driving, over charging, etc) that'll I'll rather walk than take an auto. And in Navi Mumbai, if you ignore the base fare of uberGo, it is actually cheaper than auto per km!
As Ola customers, my wife and I would normally prefer to take an auto. It is not just the money, although that is a consideration. They are generally more readily available, and they are only beaten by bikes in their ability to cut through traffic.
Old 6th May 2016, 12:12   #20496
BHPian

Looking from a safety perspective, even if Ola Micro kind of taxi's may work out cheaper, they are no more safer than the rickshaw. How many small cars in India have at least 3-star safety rating? And even if there are some, the taxi guys will always go for the cheapest bare bones version so you're not safety-covered anyways.
Again, no mandatory safety guidelines to be followed. But yes,at least you will get to your destination in AC hence a lot fresher and dust free. The gamble continues....
Old 6th May 2016, 14:42   #20497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
A Bit Off topic :
Well, there is a thread for that
Thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...-breakers.html

Last edited by msdivy : 6th May 2016 at 14:43.
Old 6th May 2016, 18:57   #20498
Distinguished - BHPian

Today evening near eco space...My friend sent this.
He was returning home from office. not sure what happened.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160506wa0031.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160506wa0030.jpg

hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 08:57   #20499
BHPian

Perfect parallel parking of a customer's car last night by Rayalseema Hotel Valet, Indiranagar, Bangalore. The car entered a narrow by lane corner at high speed, lost control, the driver panicked, slammed the accelerator!!!! The black mark on the wall is from it's front tyre and not bumper!!! Fortunately no injuries to anyone, including the driver who was a minor without DL. The stone debris from a renovation work of a 100yr old temple saved the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462590884.251361.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462590921.934183.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462591118.916473.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462591142.816624.jpg  

dr.dre is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 11:03   #20500
BHPian

Minister Babul Supriyo Injured In Road Accident, Admitted To AIIMS

Quote:
Babul Supriyo, Minister of State for Urban Development Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation, met with an accident near Delhi Cantonment Friday evening. Supriyo was on his way to pick up his daughter from the airport, said police.
The accident took place at 8 pm. Supriyo was on his motorcycle while his security personnel were following him in an Audi. “A car in front of him braked suddenly. His bike hit the car and he fell on the road,” said police.
Supriyo was rushed to AIIMS where he is being treated. AIIMS spokesperson Dr Amit Gupta, said, “Babul Supriyo was brought to Trauma Centre, AIIMS Friday evening. His vital signs were normal. He received injuries to his left elbow and the left side of chest.”
- See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/ind....P4U38oTU.dpuf
Old 7th May 2016, 18:31   #20501
Distinguished - BHPian

More details have emerged on road accident statistics in India.

States with the highest number of road accidents in 2015 are Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala respectively. These 5 states account for 29.66% of the total number of accidents recorded nationwide. The same states recorded the highest number of injuries at 275,873.

Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Rajasthan recorded the highest number of fatalities in 2015. These five states contributed to 46.45% of the total fatalities recorded nationwide for the same year.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg

http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...ccidents-17177
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 08:44   #20502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
More details have emerged on road accident statistics in India.
These numbers by themselves are meaningless. We need to normalize them to account for the various sizes, population, road lengths etc. of these states. Maybe if we compute vehicle density (vehicles per unit length of road) then the intuitive conclusion that higher the density, the more the accidents are could be proven with data (though I think time spent on roads also need to figure somewhere). There might be some states that would emerge as deadlier than the rest.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 08:59   #20503
Distinguished - BHPian

On hosur road, just half an hour ago, after the BETL toll gate, a truck had hit an Eon.
looked like it happened minutes before i was there.
There was a huge crowd gathered around it and hence i didn't stop.
looked like the truck had hit the Eon on one of it's corners and the Eon had turned 180° because of the hit.
Didn't seem like anybody was injured.
some colleagues in my office who saw it live told me that the Eon driver was rash
Anyone else has more details or photographs?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 9th May 2016 at 09:01.
Old 9th May 2016, 09:43   #20504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
On hosur road, just half an hour ago, after the BETL toll gate, a truck had hit an Eon.
looked like it happened minutes before i was there.
There was a huge crowd gathered around it and hence i didn't stop.
looked like the truck had hit the Eon on one of it's corners and the Eon had turned 180° because of the hit.
Didn't seem like anybody was injured.
some colleagues in my office who saw it live told me that the Eon driver was rash
Anyone else has more details or photographs?
So the Eon driver, if driving rashly, effectively PIT-ted himself?
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIT_maneuver)
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 09:53   #20505
Senior - BHPian

Lazy sunday morning saw me witness one near miss and one narrow escape for me but not so lucky for the car in front of me...

1) Busy T junction, a goods vehicle in front of me puts right indicator and starts to turn. An impatient swift behind me does not slow down for the junction ahead and speeds up straight. A two wheeler [man and boy standing in front] cuts through the junction not knowing or not caring and just misses the swift. A few seconds difference would have seen them flying off to kingdom come.

Don't understand why people fail to slow down at junctions especially ones where you don't have clear vision of the traffic around you.

2) At a very busy junction with a signal. Long queue of cars in front of me. There was some maintenance work going on the left lane so quarter of that lane was blocked off with cones. An impatient bus behind me starts to move to the left lane. I see him in my mirror changing lanes and knew the back of the bus was coming dangerously close to hitting me. Thankfully i had left a gap between me and the car in front so i moved ahead honking for the guy in front as a warning. The back of the bus narrowly misses my car and the bus driver oblivious to how close he is to hitting others on road, keeps on going only to scrape the entire left side of the poor fiesta in front of me.

Poor guy :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks