Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 13:59   #20521
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

For safe overtaking, we need to observe not only the vehicles ahead of us, but the road and vehicles ahead of them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:03   #20522
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for putting the same thing in other words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sir, with due respect, in India our focus should be on survival first, and technical correctness later.
When did I say No! I have specifically mentioned that we have to give time to be safe ourselves

While driving on our roads, do you think I do all the theoretically right things-No.
But that doesn't mean that we write that whatever we do is the correct thing.

Quote:
I am not going to teach the CORRECT methodology to a trucker whose path will cross mine only for 5 seconds in our entire lives.
I'm not going to do that either. But we must know it right?

Quote:
I completely agree with Shubhodeep. I personally have a 5-second rule. When in doubt in overtake maneuvers, I take a deep breath, slow down and give it three seconds. Things often resolve themselves.
True.anyone with a sane mind will do the same and give some time to get more clarity on what the vehicle in front is doing.
Old 19th May 2016, 10:20   #20523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
If I recall the other accident thread right, then due to the relatively lesser weight of the auto, it will suffer greatly because the accident impulse acts on a much much lighter vehicle.

With the unorganized market making the auto "body", you can be rest assured that every possible corner would have been cut and safety would definitely be in the dustbin.

IMHO, the governments should specify a high strength rollcage in autos from the manufacturer itself, though I'm not sure how much that would help. But if it saves even a few lives and avoids a few serious injuries, then so be it.
It's not just the autos, now there are e-ricks as well. All these are really risky modes of transport. What makes them even more dangerous are the drivers themselves!

Even if the govt. were to set such rules, each one of them would protest on the street and see to it that its rolled back. Safety is not a priority in this country, its almost an alien concept to most folks.
Old 19th May 2016, 13:17   #20524
GTO
Team-BHP Support

India doesn't have a concept of 'right of way'. Hence, I'd expect bikers to be extra cautious at junctions.

Look at these idiots

GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 13:57   #20525
BHPian

Both idiots are at fault and driving like they own the road. Why is the car driving on the right, is it a one way street? Doesn't look like either woman is wearing a helmet either. Lesson learnt the hard way.
Old 19th May 2016, 19:54   #20526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
Both idiots are at fault and driving like they own the road. Why is the car driving on the right, is it a one way street? Doesn't look like either woman is wearing a helmet either. Lesson learnt the hard way.
And, did you see the speed at which both of them approached the junction, a blind one, that too? If there is a helmet, it only would have collected some dents, nothing more than that
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 20:43   #20527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
India doesn't have a concept of 'right of way'. Hence, I'd expect bikers to be extra cautious at junctions.

Look at these idiots
Common sense says that whenever approaching a main road from a lane, right of way is reserved for the main road users as the traffic here moves at a faster pace.

Many people just drive after acquiring their licence, without following traffic rules and proper road etiquettes and this is the result.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 21:26   #20528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'd expect bikers to be extra cautious at junctions.
Really, here, I need a many-times-rule-breaking string of smileys of the shock-horror-ohmygod kind!

From the relative safety of my 4-wheeled tin box, this is what I see as an increasingly-common way of joining a main road from a side road: the biker does not stop, does not look, and just turns. The major feature of this kind of riding seems to be bike-induced neck-muscle paralysis. To be fair, quite a few car drivers seem to suffer a similar disease.

The emphasis has to be on defensive driving.

EDIT... In that video, there is something about the road, some shadow or marking or something, that suggests that, in this case, the bikers might be or have good reason to think that they are, on the main road, with right of way, and that, although driving in the straight line, the car driver is the one who is joining and should give way. Other countries have clear road markings so that this ambiguity does not happen

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th May 2016 at 21:32.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 09:59   #20529
BHPian

Quote:
Very true. Its always better to be safe than sorry. Bikers be extra cautious, because more than your vehicle you getting injured is high. Four wheelers, why take the hassle and risk of public and police, drive slow and be cautious

Generally I see ladies being too casual and boys being over confident in junctions that end-up in collusion. Just my observation!
Old 20th May 2016, 10:14   #20530
OSH
BHPian

The Mumbai Mirror and TOI report an accident that took place on the Bandra-Worli Sealink. It involved a 19 year old boy, who only had a learners permit, taking his father's Toyota Fortuner for a drive along with his friends and then ramming it into the toll booth injuring four people. The police suspect the vehicle to be over-speeding due to which the driver lost control, it also hit two other cars before hitting the toll booth. Police claim that he was not drunk at the time of accident, he was arrested but is now out on bail. The driver has given a stupid excuse of the brakes failing (95% of the accused say this).

The police have seized the car for further investigation and also asked the Andheri RTO to take action against the learners permit he possesed.

I really hope that his license gets suspended and is never given a permanent DL. The RTO's were suspending licenses for jumping signals and using mobiles while driving, this case is much worse and surely some strict action should be taken. If you can't follow rules, you better not drive on our roads.

Last edited by OSH : 20th May 2016 at 10:16.
Old 20th May 2016, 10:20   #20531
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for OT but India does have the concept of "Right of way".

My way is always right :P
deathwalkr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 10:35   #20532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...EDIT... In that video, there is something about the road, some shadow or marking or something, that suggests that, in this case, the bikers might be or have good reason to think that they are, on the main road,
There is another UNSUNG culprit in the scene there. Saw the strategically parked Autorikshaw? Its bang in the junction, completely covering the view and making the bikers clueless about what is just around the corner. That guy needs a kick where it hurts.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 15:46. Reason: Edited quoted posts for better readability
FORTified is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 15:54   #20533
BHPian

Quote:

Look at these idiots
Fortunately for Bangaloreans, there are speed breakers (road humps) at all such major junctions (in all directions) inside the city. Although irritating most of the times due to their sheer size, these humps help prevent many such silly accidents. And as is the case with all Indian cities, there is no concept of 'right of way' in Bangalore too. But it doesnt matter since you would have slowed down considerably at the junctions and 'who has the right' question hardly arises.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 16:52   #20534
Senior - BHPian

A friend's Punto. Hit by a tourist bus in the wrong direction.

All occupants totally safe, except for a broken finger.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1a5e5a55644d1bc06016343bc6767682.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p9e72845f5ff923a775e0770c0da6a134.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p84bfe425aa090f61f34a63f1c335d8ab.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th May 2016 at 18:15. Reason: Adding pictures via our attachment system
DRIV3R is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 17:08   #20535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
A friend's Punto. Hit by a tourist bus in the wrong direction.

All occupants totally safe, except for a broken finger.
Being a Punto Owner myself, I took couple of minutes to realise that it is actually a Punto (even though you've written it).
Probably a wide angle photo would've helped.
I shudder to think how the impact would've been. Engine has fallen down
Good that the occupants are safe.
Looks like an active variant with those kind of black mirror caps. The occupants are lucky too to have survived this.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 20th May 2016 at 17:11.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed