Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:04   #20671
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Two killed and four injured after a Fortuner crashes into an electric pole.

Source & Link to news: Daijiworld

I guess they may have been doing really scary speeds by looking at the pictures. The fortuner is really mangled beyond recognition.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rjp_020616_kunjathur1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rjp_020616_kunjathur3.jpg

Last edited by Mahesh Prasad : 3rd June 2016 at 12:05. Reason: Adding hyperlink.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:30   #20672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
Sure thing

I'm not that rich to get it fixed myself. Also, if I take it to Adwaith Hyundai, they will quote 9k since the metal also is involved in the scratch. I would rather let him deal with it since he mentioned about a person who does a good job and that he would be taking me there.

Yep. That's the reason I have been cool with this incident.., no headaches.
All you would need is some fine rubbing compound to remove those scratches. The paint underneath will be fine, its just those scratches that needs to be removed. The black mark on the rear quarter panel (by the looks of it) is plastic, perhaps from the beat's mirror.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:22   #20673
Distinguished - BHPian

14 dead in multiple collisions in Krishnagiri. This involves a car, bus and lorry.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle8686678.ece

Quote:
A Krishnagiri-bound private bus carrying 33 passengers from Berigai was rammed by a groundnut-laden lorry from Karnataka.

Around 30 people are said to have been injured.

According to preliminary information, the lorry had breached the NH median and crashed into the passenger bus and a car. The bus was carrying 10 women and 22 men.

The death toll is expected to increase.
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:27   #20674
BHPian

Accident near Hosur

17 People feared dead and about 30 others injured in an accident between Hosur and Krishnagiri in Tamilnadu at about 3 pm today.

A lorry ladden with groundnut was coming down the slope (The road between Hosur and Krishnagiri is notorious for the ups an downs) and the tyre burst (suspected). The lorry lost control and breached the median and hit a bus carrying 30 or so passengers coming from the other side. Cars which were coming behind the bus, were also hit.

Two men in the lorry and 11+ people in bus have died.

Source: http://www.dinamalar.com/news_detail.asp?id=1534818

Last edited by Aditya : 6th June 2016 at 07:02. Reason: Deleting image - too gruesome for public consumption
Old 3rd June 2016, 18:55   #20675
BANNED

Ecosport goes under truck. I think the truck was of type where they have long overhang beyond the rear axle.

I also met a accident on 8th March. While I wouldn't want to repeat the story. I now firmly believe my thoughts and Cofidence that everything is in control was broken at a moments notice. While I was 5meters from the rear of the safari which overtook me and the truck besides it my sense and cool mindedness and luck saved me . I was at about 100 and safari was sure at 150plus as he had overtook me a moment earlier . The safari was on left of truck and truck suddenly turned left. Seeing that and over steering by safari to left at that speed I decide to brake and had to use handbrake with Engine braking and foot brakes. My city first tried turning 180degree to right but my senses told me I am gonna turn over so I turned steering to left and the city turned 180degree. The damage to city is from the curb on left of road over which the front left tyre went. The right tyre lost air on hitting the curb and the rear right axle bent upon hitting same. I had a fellow passenger who told me what happenend to safari storme. The safari hit the truck and went in air turning around crossed six lanes and the road divider to hit a oil tanker coming from opposite site and came to rest 15metets from the direction of jaipur. The truck, safari and city were going to Delhi from Jaipur on NH8. The oil tanker was coming from Delhi towards jaipur. When accident occurred truck was In middle lane, safari in left most lane near the truck rear axle , and city was just behind the safari. The oil tanker was in its left most Lane.

I heard from onlookers the truck turned to avoid running over a maruti 800 who stopped suddenly in middle Lane. Both the truck and maruti guy didn't stop and couldnt be located.

Safari guy was badly Hurt lot of blood, helper of oil tanker died on the spot, a person riding a motorcycle was crushed under the safari when it fell after hitting the oil tanker.

This has changed my perspective of driving forever.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1464960568419.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1464960588172.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1464960610327.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1464960657137.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1464960677966.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th June 2016 at 19:59. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks!
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:08   #20676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Ecosport goes under truck. I think the truck was of type where they have long overhang beyond the rear axle.

I also met a accident on 8th March.

Thank God you are safe. I've been always amazed at the way people drive these SUVs. They'll tailgate, honk your wits out, speed up without any reason, bully others on road, and seldom follow traffic rules. Many a times, it turns out to be last ride. Sad but true. People will not change.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th June 2016 at 19:59. Reason: Youtube URL removed from the quoted post.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:09   #20677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
14 dead in multiple collisions in Krishnagiri. This involves a car, bus and lorry.
That innocuous looking ghat section is very very dangerous and continues to claim so many lives. I am extra careful whenever I drive through it but if one's ticket is up, then no one can stop it.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:17   #20678
Senior - BHPian

Pics of two full-size and built-like-tank SUVs in above pics, a Fortuner and Safari, mangled beyond recognition is a testimony to the fact that no car is safe if driven rashly. BTW, a Safari doing 150? I believe 150 is way too fast on our highways even for low slung sedans. Our highways are recipes for disaster. People just materialise out of thin air in front of car.

I hear this all the time, "my car has x no. of airbags and so and so active/passive safety feature, so I am safe. Nothing will happen to me." Even the so-called safest car in the world has limitations. Pity, people do not realise this. We are very naive people.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:35   #20679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I also met a accident on 8th March. While I wouldn't want to repeat the story. I now firmly believe my thoughts and Cofidence that everything is in control was broken at a moments notice.
===========

Glad that you are fine.
Why will you use handbrake in emergency situation. Never ever touch the hand brake in emergency situation. I am guessing this is the reason your car went out of control. If you use hand brake the rear wheels will lock and drift sideways. Its very dangerous thing to do.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th June 2016 at 07:52. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 06:25   #20680
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Glad that you are fine.
Why will you use handbrake in emergency situation. Never ever touch the hand brake in emergency situation. I am guessing this is the reason your car went out of control. If you use hand brake the rear wheels will lock and drift sideways. Its very dangerous thing to do.
It is only the handbrake that saved the day as I used it knowing fully well I have to turn the car around 180degrees as I didn't have space in front and I know fully well Honda City ivtec will not stop when you need it the most as abs kids in way too early and the foot brakes are over modulated with no feel which I now know that city as the name means is for city area only.

Also using hand brake is an asset if you know what will happen and how the car will behave. However for those who don't know what will happen and better can happen upon using hand brake should avoid using it always.

I have always believed and continue to experience that ability to understand and be prepared to take on what car gives you back on your actions makes a difference of night and day in your ability to control the car trajectory in emergency situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Pics of two full-size and built-like-tank SUVs in above pics, a Fortuner and Safari, mangled beyond recognition is a testimony to the fact that no car is safe if driven rashly. BTW, a Safari doing 150? I believe 150 is way too fast on our highways even for low slung sedans. Our highways are recipes for disaster. People just materialise out of thin air in front of car.

I hear this all the time, "my car has x no. of airbags and so and so active/passive safety feature, so I am safe. Nothing will happen to me." Even the so-called safest car in the world has limitations. Pity, people do not realise this. We are very naive people.
Yes it was at 150plus since I was at about 100plus I think 110 it was. The safari cut me from middle Lane and was in front of me i.e leftmost Lane.

I did see a glimpse of safari storme which weighs I think about two tons twisting and turning around mid air like a toy. And now I can only imagine what my fellow copassenger saw when that safari flew turning around in midair for 6lanes and road divider.

https://goo.gl/photos/DzrYWJAqoTdmDt6V9
https://goo.gl/photos/ECRE26RsMKRQvuHMA

Another two pics I had In back up. What you see is all that is left, the other side and front and roof is all gone.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th June 2016 at 20:00. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 09:13   #20681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
That innocuous looking ghat section is very very dangerous and continues to claim so many lives. I am extra careful whenever I drive through it but if one's ticket is up, then no one can stop it.
Thoppur ghats nearing Salem is a more dangerous stretch. I think there is an accident every day on that ghats.
With the 6 lanes, the gradient cannot be seen, but the vehicles especially these loaded trucks pick up good speeds. They can touch a 100 no problem,just by coasting in neutral.

Now with multi axle trucks being more common they jump the divider and are able to continue to the other side with the same speeds.

Imagine a truck like that ramming a car in the opposite direction, no safety features or build can save anyone.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 10:19   #20682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thoppur ghats nearing Salem is a more dangerous stretch. I think there is an accident every day on that ghats.
With the 6 lanes, the gradient cannot be seen, but the vehicles especially these loaded trucks pick up good speeds.
Yes, Hosur till Krishnagiri and then thopur ghats are accident prone areas. Mainly because of sharp curves along the slopes. Adding to this, the truck traffic is on the higher side and cars try to play around with these trucks by cutting across them dangerously and unsettling them. Also some people keep changing the lanes dangerously without caring for the fellow road users. So, when one move goes wrong, its ends up being fatal.

Even though its a 6 lane, people use every inch of the road and make it look like a 8-lane road. Especially coming towards bangalore on a sunday after 4PM is like a race track with most of them racing towards bangalore.

Basically, its a very nice stretch to drive, but people have made it a dangerous one.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 11:46   #20683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is only the handbrake that saved the day as I used it knowing fully well I have to turn the car around 180degrees as I didn't have space in front and I know fully well Honda City ivtec will not stop when you need it the most as abs kids in way too early and the foot brakes are over modulated with no feel which I now know that city as the name means is for city area only.
Are you sure about that? Using the handbrake and locking up the rear wheels, won't equate to shorter stopping distances. It'll simply mean that your car spins and will continue ahead due to the inertia it carries. Rev-matching and using the brakes and steering to add more stopping path ought to have been enough without the unnecessary damage caused by swinging your car around IMO. Ofcourse I was not there so you may know best, just saying that locking the wheels is counter-intuitive if you found the abs too constricting.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th June 2016 at 11:51.
Old 4th June 2016, 11:49   #20684
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Are you sure about that? Using the handbrake and locking up the rear wheels, won't equate to shorter stopping distances. It'll simply mean that your car spins and will continue ahead due to the inertia it carries. Rev-matching and using the breaks ought to have been enough without the unnecessary damage caused by swinging your car around IMO. Ofcourse I was not there so you may know best, just saying that locking the wheels is counter-intuitive if you believe abs is constricting.
Absolutely sure if I don't have space in front and I need to avoid something only way I can move the car is sideways. And handbrake provides a controlled way of doing that against just using the steering to drift . ☺

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 4th June 2016 at 11:52.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 11:52   #20685
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Are you sure about that.
Ishaan, Look at the quoted part below:

That will answer why he used Handbrake in that situation.

Quote:
It is only the handbrake that saved the day as I used it knowing fully well I have to turn the car around 180degrees as I didn't have space in front
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks