Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2016, 15:08   #20761
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Holy cow. That gash on the head is way too serious man. I am surprised Uber is allowed to operate without any emergency contact nos in place. Also the response by Uber to the mail was too casual. Its time the RTO takes a serious look into this case and make it mandatory for all radio cabs to have an emergency contact. Would Uber bear the medical expenses in this case?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 15:34   #20762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I am surprised Uber is allowed to operate without any emergency contact nos in place. [...] Its time the RTO takes a serious look into this case and make it mandatory for all radio cabs to have an emergency contact.
I'm not too sure what can be achieved by having an Uber emergency contact number. In an emergency you want the police, ambulance or other local disaster response teams. For this, the government has taken the initiative and implemented a single number India-wide. What more can we expect Uber or any other agency to do here?
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 15:40   #20763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I'm not too sure what can be achieved by having an Uber emergency contact number.
The number can be used to report the driver irregularities like rash driving, unavailability of seat belts for eg., bad behaviors etc. Voice communications is far more effective than written communications and the standard reply of "We will come back in XX days". Or else make arrangements in the app itself to report such things.

Last few rides on Ola and Uber recently, I had been regularly dropping a mail to them regarding the unavailability of rear seat belts in the cars I travelled. Till date no response from either Ola or Uber.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 16:22   #20764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I'm not too sure what can be achieved by having an Uber emergency contact number. In an emergency you want the police, ambulance or other local disaster response teams. For this, the government has taken the initiative and implemented a single number India-wide. What more can we expect Uber or any other agency to do here?
+1. In emergency call police or ambulance. Uber isn't going to be any better equipped in such situations.

Quote:
The number can be used to report the driver irregularities like rash driving, unavailability of seat belts for eg., bad behaviors etc. Voice communications is far more effective than written communications and the standard reply of "We will come back in XX days". Or else make arrangements in the app itself to report such things.

Last few rides on Ola and Uber recently, I had been regularly dropping a mail to them regarding the unavailability of rear seat belts in the cars I travelled. Till date no response from either Ola or Uber.
When Uber started it's services I also felt the same. But after interacting with them over mail for billing or driver related complaints, I've experienced only prompt and positive response from their teams. Much much better than many of the call centre dumbos that telecom companies and banks employ.

Having said that, I do understand that a good number of people don't have a clue on how to send a mail even if they have a smartphone.

P.S: Try Uber X and above and they should have rear seat belts for sure.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 16:40   #20765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
....we noticed that the driver .. he wasn’t wearing his seatbelt.

..All the doors had locked in, our driver was jumping around trying to get out and he finally jumped out of the window.
Quote:
Holy cow. That gash on the head is way too serious man.
The driver is extremely lucky that he got out uninjured inspite of him not wearing a seatbelt. Just hitting his chest on the steering wheel would have been disastrous.

99% of the time, these taxi drivers drive like maniacs, Its almost always a heart in the mouth experience to take a taxi to the airport early in the morning for instance.

Majority of the road users drive in such a state of hurry (hurry to overtake, to cut across lanes, to pass through the narrowest of gaps, to jump across signals, hurry and great risk taking in every action with absolutely no patience just to gain a few minutes or an hour at most) its the main cause all the mishaps that occur.

The gash is quite shocking and painful to view.
Did the head injury happen even inspite of her wearing a seatbelt?

Last edited by for_cars1 : 8th June 2016 at 16:55.
Old 8th June 2016, 17:16   #20766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The number can be used to report the driver irregularities like rash driving, unavailability of seat belts for eg., bad behaviors etc.
The question was, what do you expect Uber to do? You will agree that in these cases too, they can't do anything to mitigate the risk in your current trip - so your best option is to simply walk out.

In my view, Uber needs to be castigated and face severe consequences if Mr. Gangaram Santosh Ugale is back driving a cab for them in a few months time.
Old 8th June 2016, 17:16   #20767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Original License, Registration Card and Insurance documents had to be submitted which again I did. But I find this pretty weird. Why original license ? Still, submitted it and will collect it tomorrow.
Original license / Registration card or Insurance need not be submitted at that time. I have had a recent experience with insurance claim wherein my Sister-in-law's Honda City was rear ended by a Figo near Hero Honda chowk in Gurgaon. The impact was high as she could hear the screeching sound for about 5 seconds before impact as well as she saw the Figo skidding in her IRVM. What surprised all of us was what happened later, the gentleman in Figo got down and apologized for his mistake and gave his visiting card to her and agreed to pay the balance amount after insurance. He even spoke to service center people. The car was drivable and taken to service center where the documents were to be deposited. Due to some work, her car papers were not with her, no registration or insurance. I then sent her RC via Whatsapp and she showed her insurance in mail. The service center accepted it. The work took about 15 days and the cost was over 50K, not sure though. Once the bill was raised, the service center informed the gentleman and he promptly paid the difference amount.

Now if you look at the damage to both vehicles, Honda City has suffered quite a bit, the boot was not closing and bumper was broken, rear fender was bent. Whereas the Figo has a seemingly small dent on bonnet. We did ask him if he had suffered any damage to which he replied in negative.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160608_143936.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160608_144041.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160608_144117.jpg  

BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 19:23   #20768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Now if you look at the damage to both vehicles, Honda City has suffered quite a bit, the boot was not closing and bumper was broken, rear fender was bent. Whereas the Figo has a seemingly small dent on bonnet. We did ask him if he had suffered any damage to which he replied in negative.
Thats surprising. The rear parts of the cars are generally tougher than the front. Normally the front of cars suffer much more as they are designed for pedestrian safety, and so many low speed shunt have caused damages as can be seen in many pictures before.

Here is the opposite case where the boot of a sedan has suffered much more than the delicate plastic front of the tiny figo!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2016 at 22:21. Reason: Quoted content trimmed - inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Old 8th June 2016, 19:32   #20769
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Thats surprising. The rear parts of the cars are generally tougher than the front. Normally the front of cars suffer much more as they are designed for pedestrian safety
No Sir, The rear of Sedans is more delicate or soft compared to that of hatchbacks. I remember reading somewhere that the rear of Jazz costs much for the company than that of City in manufacturing. Coming to this collision incident, I feel old Figo is solidly built and also as the boot is hollow in City is the reason for more damage.

Last edited by Doylthippo : 8th June 2016 at 19:35. Reason: Addition of more info
Old 8th June 2016, 19:45   #20770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Thats surprising. The rear parts of the cars are generally tougher than the front.

Here is the opposite case where the boot of a sedan has suffered much more than the delicate plastic front of the tiny figo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylthippo View Post
No Sir, The rear of Sedans is more delicate or soft compared to that of hatchbacks. .
The rear boot area of a sedan is designed to crumple (crumple zone) since that is part of the passenger cabin safety . I am guessing that is the reason we see more damage on the City.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 09:56   #20771
BHPian

Received this on whats app. Baleno collides with RE. Both airbags deployed. Hard to believe how much damage a RE can cause to Baleno.

And here is RE pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1465446326926.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1465446455436.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2016 at 17:31. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post. Thanks! :
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:02   #20772
Senior - BHPian

Ouch! That looks bad for both vehicles. With a bent wheel, forks, handlebar and frame, I hope the rider is fine? Also from the impression on the Baleno's windsheild, it looks like someone seated between the passenger and driver on the middle of the rear-bench, was flung forward due to the impact hope both parties were uninjured.
Old 9th June 2016, 10:04   #20773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Also from the impression on the Baleno's windsheild, it looks like someone seated between the passenger and driver on the middle of the rear-bench, was flung forward due to the impact hope both parties were uninjured.
Or it was the bike rider who got thrown on to the windshield due to a head-on collision?
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:05   #20774
BHPian

Quote:
Ouch! That looks bad for both vehicles. With a bent wheel, forks, handlebar and frame, I hope the rider is fine? Also from the impression on the Baleno's windsheild, it looks like someone seated between the passenger and driver on the middle of the rear-bench, was flung forward due to the impact hope both parties were uninjured.

Looks more like the rider of the RE was flung on top of the windshield. The windshield seems to have caved in. Really hope he's ok.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:05   #20775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could more likely be the rider, and his helmet that did that.
Look at the handlebars! Secondary impact or the riders arms? Ouch!
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks