Please don't watch if you are of the squeamish type:

RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 13:20   #20852
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Please don't watch if you are of the squeamish type
Horrific. I really don't like watching such incidents but still I did just to understand better what's out there and everytime it makes me that much more a careful driver.

Absolute disregard for lives, laws and a wanton thirst for destruction best describes the incident above. Drunk, speeding and shameless display of arrogance.. the driver must be booked for cold blooded murder at the very least. Every person out in the road is a parent, a spouse or a child of someone. Cars were made for transportation, not to be used as a missile of death in the hands of inebriated delusional beings.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 13:48   #20853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
Call me insensitive, but I'm relieved he's gone without injuring anyone else. Folks like him never learn a lesson and are a menace to the civilized society.
Call me insensitive too! He could have taken several few along with him, Maybe a small boy or an elderly couple, Marine lines is the place where families, Elderly couples like to spend their quite time, No matter what doing this on public roads is completely outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Another hit and run and another two people killed. How long before the government makes stringent laws to deter people from driving drink? You should be tried for murder if you are driving knowing you are drunk. An unfortunate loss of life yet again. How many more?
http://zeenews.india.com/news/delhi/...h_1895372.html
Isn't there police check post at nights in delhi? I mean isn't the check carried out on regular basis? Here in Mumbai a check is there almost everyday, At different times and different places, Which sometimes is a little irritating considering your stuck in traffic even late in the night but its a very good move from Mumbai police.

Quote:
That car was speeding!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:06   #20854
Team-BHP Support

The only thought I have when I see morons like these - and there are plenty of them on Bangalore roads - is when they finally meet their maker, they don't take along unwilling passengers. It's about time laws were updated to include drunk/stunt driving in the 'murder' category.

If you knowingly indulge in an activity that can kill someone, it should count as murder when it does. If you know you're going to get so drunk that you can't make a sane choice, throw away your keys before you grab your first drink.

I won't go around wishing death on anyone, but it's hard to sympathize with either the dead drunk/stuntman or the family that gave them homicidal tools without imparting an ounce of sense.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th June 2016 at 14:15.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:06   #20855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
.... Drunk, speeding and shameless display of arrogance.. the driver must be booked for cold blooded murder at the very least. Every person out in the road is a parent, a spouse or a child of someone. Cars were made for transportation, not to be used as a missile of death in the hands of inebriated delusional beings.
The driver has committed a heinous crime by his reckless driving, no doubt.

The two victims are also at great fault for walking on almost the middle of the road before one of them is flung by the car are and have put themselves in harm's way, call it total and deliberate disregard for the rules, or ignorance about the consequences of jaywalking, or absolute moronic behavior. Unfortunately such people who jaywalk on roads as if it is their living room are in the majority in our country.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 14th June 2016 at 14:10.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:29   #20856
BHPian

When someone feels unwell and they get into an ambulance, they feel relieved that help is at hand and they will soon reach the hospital where they will be attended to and feel better. All that is in for a change with this particular accident-

Quote:
81-yr-old patient dies as SUV rams ambulance in Gurgaon

Gurgaon: An 81-year-old woman being rushed to hospital died after an SUV crashed into her ambulance near Huda City Centre early on Monday, leaving her with fatal injuries. Saawri Devi was being treated for a cardiac ailment at Arvy hospital and was being transferred to Fortis because her condition had deteriorated.

Instead, when she was wheeled into Fortis, Devi, a resident of Sector 17A, had multiple injuries. She succumbed three hours later.

Police said a Toyota Fortuner hit the ambulance near Huda City Centre Metro station around 5.30am. Saawri Devi's grandson was accompanying her but escaped unhurt.
An FIR was lodged at Sector 29 police station under sections 279 (rash driving) and 304A (causing death due to negligence) of the IPC against the driver of the SUV, who fled the spot, leaving the vehicle behind. The Fortuner, with a Delhi registration number and a BJP flag mounted on it, has been impounded, police said. In his complaint to the cops, Saawri Devi's grandson Hemant Yadav said his grandmother had been suffering from a heart ailment and was under treatment at Arvy hospital for some time. On the advice of doctors, she was being shifted to Fortis.

The accident, he said, happened just as the ambulance was about to reach Fortis.
"Suddenly, out of nowhere, the speeding SUV came and rammed into our ambulance. The driver fled the spot," Yadav told police.

No arrests have been made. Police said the SUV is registered in the name of Kuldeep Lamba, a resident of Khara in Delhi, and they were trying to get in touch with him, assistant sub-inspector Kanwar Singh, the investigating officer, said.
Source
Another ghastly accident where in a techie lost her life. Got to know from a friend who stayed nearby that both the cars were an i10.

Quote:
Woman techie killed in racing accident in Pune

Pune: A high-speed race between two cars claimed the life of a 25-year-old woman software engineer in Ambegaon on the Katraj-Dehu Road bypass early on Saturday.
Seven others in the two cars also sustained injuries in the accident. The Bharati Vidyapeeth police have identified the deceased as Krutika Nandlaskar, a Karvenagar resident.

The injured friends — Sunny Tapase, Sumit Wanjari, Arti Sonawane, Saurabh Shinde, Ganesh Gaikwad, Chaitanya Joshi and Tushar Jadhav — are being treated at a private hospital. "We have booked Tapase and Wanjari for rash driving," assistant inspector Subhash Jadhav of the Bharati Vidyapeeth police station said.

On Friday night, all eight friends partied at Wanjari's residence in Dattanagar, Ambegaon. Early on Saturday, they decided to go for a long drive till Lonavla. "They left in two cars around 2.30am. When the cars were on the Katraj-Dehu Road bypass, they decided to race against each other. Both drivers revved up and drove at high speed," Jadhav said.

As both drivers attempted to take the lead, their cars brushed against each other. They lost control and Tapase's car crashed against the road divider and turned on its side.
The other car, which Krutika was travelling in, went off the road and crashed into a restaurant along the bypass. "The impact killed Krutika on the spot," Jadhav said.
"The speedometer of the car which Krutika was travelling in had stopped at 100kmph," Jadhav added.
Source
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 15:04   #20857
BHPian

Jaguar T-bones a wagon R and sends it crashing into a electric pole. The wagon R driver sustained serious head injuries,while the Jag occupants fled the scene. Car was allegedly driven by the owners young son.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-120616-8-09-17-am.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-120616-8-09-22-am.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-120616-8-09-27-am.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-120616-8-09-32-am.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-120616-8-09-37-am.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-120616-8-09-43-am.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-120616-8-09-48-am.jpg  

Old 14th June 2016, 15:18   #20858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The two victims are also at great fault for walking on almost the middle of the road
I looked at the video a few times, looking to see if there is indeed a footpath, and whether the pedestrians should have been on it in the first place.
As is the case for most narrow roads in India, there is no well-defined footpath. While they "could have" ducked into whatever could be called a footpath behind the Polo, force of habit meant that they didn't.

Why "force of habit"? I have observed this many a time, and even sometimes found myself (as a pedestrian) beginning to follow this pattern of behaviour. Since a footpath is not present/not clear most of the time, people will just take the easy way out and walk along the side of the road.

Also remember, the two were walking with their backs to the traffic, not facing traffic. A norm in India, since we tend to drive around people going in the same direction and push people off who are going in the opposite direction.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:22   #20859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The driver has committed a heinous crime by his reckless driving, no doubt..
That was a serious reckless driving.

But I don't understand why pedestrians walk on the road. Do we want to be sitting duck? Already the road is quite narrow, and they were walking quite close to middle of the road. I agree most of the footpath are bad, but road, its hell out there
Old 14th June 2016, 15:32   #20860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Also remember, the two were walking with their backs to the traffic, not facing traffic. A norm in India, since we tend to drive around people going in the same direction and push people off who are going in the opposite direction.
Still they were knocked down by a car coming from the opposite direction in the wrong side of the road. The driver of the car was drunk and would have hit whatever was in his way in whichever direction. Even footpaths are not safe when such drivers are on the road. Apparently the driver was supposed to drive for only five minutes to reach home from the place he partied. I am sure the parents of this murderer are now trying to find faults with the three victims.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:48   #20861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
This is the stunt video! Just don't get it
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If only the fool had worn proper gear he may have still been alive.
No doubt he "knew" he could do all this, and more. No doubt he "knew" that nothing is going to happen.

The trouble with nothing is going to happen, is that it is true... until it does. This sad video is a perfect example of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
Call me insensitive, but I'm relieved he's gone without injuring anyone else. Folks like him never learn a lesson and are a menace to the civilized society.
Well, yes. There were plenty of pedestrians in early scenes. There could easily have been more than one casualty. Other vehicles could have been involved.

Is it over-reacting to talk about prison? I don't think so. seen on BBC recently: guy sent to jail for leading police on a car chase in which he reached 150MPH. On a busy road with a 3-yr-old child in the car. Seems just to me.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 15:48   #20862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Isn't there police check post at nights in delhi? I mean isn't the check carried out on regular basis? Here in Mumbai a check is there almost everyday, At different times and different places, Which sometimes is a little irritating considering your stuck in traffic even late in the night but its a very good move from Mumbai police.
This one was early morning and I am pretty sure nowhere in the world does the police check for drunk drivers early in the morning. That aside where is personal responsibility? If you cannot stand on your feet, how do you expect yourself to drive? There is no heroism in driving drunk.

I have no sympathy for monsters like these and wish he was lynched by the mob. Our justice system is a joke and this is a bailable offence.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 15:53   #20863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Why "force of habit"? I have observed this many a time, and even sometimes found myself (as a pedestrian) beginning to follow this pattern of behaviour. Since a footpath is not present/not clear most of the time, people will just take the easy way out and walk along the side of the road.
Not to forget walking with the direction of traffic with a kid ,with the kid on the right side and the adult on the left
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:15   #20864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
That was a serious reckless driving.

But I don't understand why pedestrians walk on the road. Do we want to be sitting duck? Already the road is quite narrow, and they were walking quite close to middle of the road. I agree most of the footpath are bad, but road, its hell out there
There are no footpaths left especially in local areas where they are either used by vertically parked cars or simply used by the home owners for other random stuff. You will also see that they are walking on the road because there is no usable footpath and cars parked on either side of the road.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 18:00   #20865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post

That car was speeding!
As rightly explained by extreme_torque below - the incident took place @ 6am in the morning.
Even in Mumbai, the check points are wrapped up by 3-3:30am at most! The odd ones that are in place till 5am - are just barricades with no policing around.

From the rare visits to Delhi - the cops don't seem as proactive. Also, unlike Mumbai where the check points are often changed - there are a lot more bylanes and escape routes and people out there are least concerned about drinking and driving.
Heck, I've seen people openly consuming drugs in certain 5 star hotels!

BTW - even in Mumbai, there are fewer check points for drinking and driving. Most of them are to harass bikers and 'suspicious' vehicles. They start early, and in the areas that are most prone to drinking and driving - they wrap up before some bars are even closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
This one was early morning and I am pretty sure nowhere in the world does the police check for drunk drivers early in the morning. That aside where is personal responsibility? If you cannot stand on your feet, how do you expect yourself to drive? There is no heroism in driving drunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Still they were knocked down by a car coming from the opposite direction in the wrong side of the road. The driver of the car was drunk and would have hit whatever was in his way in whichever direction. Even footpaths are not safe when such drivers are on the road. Apparently the driver was supposed to drive for only five minutes to reach home from the place he partied. I am sure the parents of this murderer are now trying to find faults with the three victims.
It's a stupid habit that we have - and it's evident across cities.
Early morning joggers will never walk on the foot path - even on roads like Marine Drive or Worli Sea-face which has a clean and wide footpath - they'll prefer to walk/jog on the road! Note - these are 6 lane roads, which often witness speeding. Doesn't help that in the early hours - the traffic lights are also on blink till about 7-8am.
This is exceedingly dangerous, especially given they start their health routine as early as 5am when it's still dark outside!
However, as a fellow member (Thad?) said in one of the earlier pages - you can never hit a human being irrespective of the situation. He may be in the wrong, but that doesn't give you the right to knock him down ever!

EDIT: Would public shaming be appropriate for such citizens? It will be insensitive no doubt, but if it can bring a change in other road users?

Last edited by lamborghini : 14th June 2016 at 18:20.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed