Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2016, 13:58   #20986
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's a bizzare one!
A MiG fighter plane has crashed into a Tata Safari (and a house or two) in a residential neighborhood in Jodhpur, Rajastan.
I guess (ideas from the Safari picture) that a shortened Safari might look good.. Tata shall start working on a sub 4m Safari'ish' vehicle
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 14:21   #20987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a bizzare one!
From my limited knowledge in the area, I understand that the MiG-27 is a fairly old perhaps even outdated aircraft whose production ended decades ago and is only being kept alive by HAL who bought the rights to produce the aircraft. I also understand that is has been in several crashes. About 12 crashes between now and 2001. A lot of the crashing jets are also overhauled/upgraded versions worked upon extensively by HAL. I wonder what the reason for crashing is this time. If it is another defect in the aircraft touched by HAL and not pilot error, then it looks like either HAL should stop working on these things, or our airforce should retire these MiG-27 jets soon.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th June 2016 at 14:23.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 15:03   #20988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
might fetch a fortune later if someone picks it up a collectible! Talk about a fighter plane rear ending you!!
For that, the owner should pick up a few of those airplane parts as proof along with the car's wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Tata shall start working on a sub 4m Safari'ish' vehicle
I propose a name for the new car. It shall be called the "Tata Sub4i" (To be pronounced Sub-Four-e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
our airforce should retire these MiG-27 jets soon.
As per the wiki article on the MiGs, the MiG 27 is up for retirement between 2018 and 2020.
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 16:14   #20989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
I propose a name for the new car. It shall be called the "Tata Sub4i" (To be pronounced Sub-Four-e)
Thats bad.
That MIG was part of the birth of this new vehicle and it must have its name made part of the new one. SaMi-28? MigSaf? [After all, Mig ki safaai ho gayi ]
Old 29th June 2016, 16:30   #20990
BHPian

Lol! It gives Tatas a chance to make something like Bajaj 'V'. Maybe it could be Tata Safari 'M'
Oranger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 18:29   #20991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a bizzare one!

Thanks to @manishrajp for bringing this to our attention via twitter

A MiG fighter plane has crashed into a Tata Safari (and a house or two) in a residential neighborhood in Jodhpur, Rajastan.

Thankfully, the 2 pilots are safe, though 3 other injuries were reported.
The MiG-27 is a single seat fighter bomber. The media got it wrong when they reported that two pilots were onboard.

Based on the serial number(TU-657) , it was one of the Upgraded MiG-27s.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 18:30   #20992
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Got this through Whatsapp.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160629wa0000.jpg

Sounds like a crude analysis. But guess there will be a slight spike in the new Innova accident rates, since I feel that, for every new MUV/SUV that's popular and has more than average performance relative to it's rivals, there will be a spurt in accidents, esspecially since most are chauffeur driven and on highways.

Sumo in the 90s, Scorpio in the early 2000s and old Innova in mid 2000s.

Just my personal opinion.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160629wa0001.jpg
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 19:05   #20993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
The MiG-27 is a single seat fighter bomber. The media got it wrong when they reported that two pilots were onboard.

Based on the serial number(TU-657) , it was one of the Upgraded MiG-27s.
It might have been a trainer variant. Here is our Air Chief Marshal in one:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-32024726.jpg
Quote:
At Kalaikunda, the air force chief also reviewed various measures being undertaken by the station towards operational commitments.

He also visited No 18 squadron and flew in a MiG-27 trainer aircraft with Gp Capt Ashish Rana, Commanding Officer of the squadron.
http://articles.economictimes.indiat...ets-kalaikunda
darklord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 19:08   #20994
Senior - BHPian

Yet another school bus accident:

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/...news-1.1167739

Doesn't sound as if the bus or the driver was at fault, though. Apparently the road collapsed at the edge taking the bus with it.
Old 29th June 2016, 19:21   #20995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Thats bad.
That MIG was part of the birth of this new vehicle and it must have its name made part of the new one. SaMi-28? MigSaf? [After all, Mig ki safaai ho gayi]
I was sticking to the pronunciation aspect and Sub4i will be pronounced similar to Safari

But yeah, the ones you suggested also sound good. We can also consider something like "Tata MiG-Sub4i".., which can be pronounced as "Mix-Safari"

I hope nobody from Tata is reading these posts and seriously considering a new design and those names. If they're doing so.., it's time we both file a patent for these names!
Old 29th June 2016, 19:35   #20996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
It might have been a trainer variant.
Look at the serial number of the wreckage. The serial number of the crashed MiG-27 was TU657. The stock MiG-27s have TS series serial numbers. Upgraded airframes got their serial numbers upgraded to TU series(numerals remained same).

IAF MiG-23UMs, which serve as trainers for the MIG-27 pilots, have MS serial number series.

So definitely it was a single seat MiG-27 which crashed.
skanchan95 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 21:33   #20997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Yet another school bus accident:

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/...news-1.1167739

Doesn't sound as if the bus or the driver was at fault, though. Apparently the road collapsed at the edge taking the bus with it.
I would blame the driver. Unless he was new to the route, he should have had the common sense to understand that the road would cave in. Just one look at the 3rd photo is enough to understand that the soil is loose. Being a driver with a commercial license, he should have known better. When transporting school children, one ought to err on the side of caution, always.

I'm happy to hear that no lives were lost. Many students could be mentally scarred by this incident. They don't understand accidents like adults do.

Last edited by longhorn : 29th June 2016 at 21:35.
Old 30th June 2016, 07:52   #20998
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, this was indeed super close and would have killed the rider.

Happened this morning in Electronics City soon after the Phase 1 toll booth for BETL. She must thank her lucky stars.

I wonder how many seconds she would have saved by trying to squeeze that way when there were all hints as that truck limped back to reverse. And she wasn't lucky even after that fall as the Security Guard, till few seconds, never realised what had happened right behind!

I honked frantically to gain his attention so that he could see me and then I waved my hands asking "STOP" and pointed backwards. By that time few passersby also indicated this to the driver.

And when I moved ahead, I could see the same rider zip-zap-zoom.... as if nothing had happened.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th June 2016 at 08:05. Reason: Typo
paragsachania is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 08:17   #20999
Senior - BHPian

Most two-wheeler riders seem to leave their think capability at home. They seem to on a suicide mission once they're on the road.

Squeezing into gaps of this kind is very common in Banashankari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

I wonder how many seconds she would have saved by trying to squeeze that way
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 08:58   #21000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Well, this was indeed super close and would have killed the rider.
Lucky Idiot!

Everytime I see such things, I remember the Advertisement series from Ceat "The road is full of Idiots"
Its not strange that this thread has so many pages and posts...this is the 21000th post and the 1400th page!!!

Quote:
Happened this morning in Electronics City soon after the Phase 1 toll booth for BETL. She must thank her lucky stars.
This is one thing I hate about EC, it was a new layout completely made from scratch for big companies. And the roads are so tiny!
The worst layout planning possible

Quote:
I wonder how many seconds she would have saved by trying to squeeze that way when there were all hints as that truck limped back to reverse.
What she doesn't realise even now is that she wasted more time than she thought she could save.

Quote:
And when I moved ahead, I could see the same rider zip-zap-zoom.... as if nothing had happened.
This is another problem, people just don't learn!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 30th June 2016 at 09:01.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed