Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2016, 09:43   #21001
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Well, this was indeed super close and would have ----SNIP-------And when I moved ahead, I could see the same rider zip-zap-zoom.... as if nothing had happened.
As much fault can be defined for the girl, ie, not waiting till the truck passed, etc, legally she was on the right side of the flow, she went through the gap the truck made, and very unfortunately she fell, as happens to a LOT of riders.
I mean,yeah, youve got to watch out for yourself on Indian roads, and it was "stupid" for her to not wait for a minute.

What I don't understand what the heck was the truck doing? He's already facing the wrong side, and if at all, he was the one who should have waited till the lady, and you, had gone through. And what was he reversing for??
Days of our lives.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 09:51   #21002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
And what was he reversing for??
Days of our lives.
To get inside that gate of the Building. So now we know who exactly was at fault. And No, the driver of the truck would have hardly dreamt of this lady's acrobatic skills.

Security guard helping the trucker to get inside the gate, whistling etc were good hints too.

And nope, that gap was too close to pass through even if the truck was moving ahead.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th June 2016 at 09:53.
Old 30th June 2016, 10:10   #21003
Senior - BHPian

How did she fall? She's seen going behind the truck and bam just falls. Did she hit the footpath?

Again signs of impatience and borderline recklessness. Please wait for a vehicle to complete its turn right or wrong before proceeding. It's a common sight on road when a person is taking a right turn to squeeze in through his left even before he has completed the turn.

Why are we in such a rush all the time?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 10:12   #21004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
How did she fall? She's seen going behind the truck and bam just falls. Did she hit the footpath?

Again signs of impatience and borderline recklessness. Please wait for a vehicle to complete its turn right or wrong before proceeding. It's a common sight on road when a person is taking a right turn to squeeze in through his left even before he has completed the turn.

Why are we in such a rush all the time?
Lost balance as she rode over the edge of the road where it ends.
Old 30th June 2016, 10:21   #21005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
How did she fall?
Quote:
Lost balance as she rode over the edge of the road where it ends.
Adding to that, it should have been wet & slippery after entire day's rain yesterday. More importantly the scooty's do not have road grip with those flimsy TVS tyres. Make a small turn on a wet slippery surface, you will end up waking up from the tarmac.
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 10:39   #21006
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder how many seconds she would have saved by trying to squeeze that way when there were all hints as that truck limped back to reverse.
When you drive on roads doing similar maneuver hundred times everyday, you start believing that 'its perfectly safe'. What most two-wheel riders don't realize that it just takes one wrong move and your life is changed forever.

How I wish they value their 'years to come' far more than 'few seconds/minutes', which they save by doing such stunts on roads everyday.
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 11:58   #21007
BHPian

Quote:
Well, this was indeed super close and would have killed the rider.

I wonder how many seconds she would have saved by trying to squeeze that way when there were all hints as that truck limped back to reverse. And she wasn't lucky even after that fall as the Security Guard, till few seconds, never realised what had happened right behind!
Typical 2 wheel commuter, they value those almost non existent gaps more than their lives as if it can save them hours of riding and fuel.

A few years ago, when my mom had just got her license, an incident happened. She parked the car behind a then parked truck (not a wise thing to do) leaving sufficient gap in front. After sometime, the truck guy started to reverse and we flashed the lights and honked but it was too late. He stopped when a passer by shouted out to him and by the time we had a nice dent on the front guard. There was no way he could spot us in his irvm or orvm.

I know my suggestion might not be practicable, but I think reverse cams are needed by these Truck/Bus drivers and should be made a standard fitment from the manufacturer. The drivers should be made aware of why one should use the same. If that lady on the scooter had not come out unscathed, the innocent truck driver would have been in trouble for no fault of his.
--gKrish-- is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 12:21   #21008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's a bizzare one!

A MiG fighter plane has crashed into a Tata Safari (and a house or two) in a residential neighborhood in Jodhpur, Rajastan.
Only in Team-Bhp : Crashed into a Tata safari (and a house or two : meh)

In any other news or forums, safari would not be mentioned at all , if at all mentioned, "crashed into a house, car also damaged".
Asish_VK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 12:39   #21009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
The MiG-27 is a single seat fighter bomber. The media got it wrong when they reported that two pilots were onboard.
This is India. Didn't you see 5-6 people coming out of an auto rikshaw that is meant for 2 people?
FORTified is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 13:28   #21010
BHPian

Quote:
And nope, that gap was too close to pass through even if the truck was moving ahead.
Driving in Bangalore has taught me that no gap is too close for a Bangalore biker!
They are like water leaking out from a container with holes. If one hole is closed, they go through one of the remaining holes no matter where the hole is!
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 14:05   #21011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post

Didn't you see 5-6 people coming out of an auto rikshaw that is meant for 2 people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post

They are like water leaking out from a container with holes. :dead horse
People say that Life and Fashion invariably come a full circle. But being born & brought up in Bangalore and having seen it destroyed by the IT revolution, I can safely say that:

Evolution also comes full circle

It is believed that early humans were herd animals just like sheep and rats. So basically, irrespective of how many heads were in the herd, there was only one brain, and everybody else just followed the thought that came out of that !! :dead horse

I couldn't find any other way to understand the herding instincts these morons have, where one retard enters a blocked junction in the opposite late to beat the traffic and the rest of the dodo's just follow, leading to a mayhem.

I am not being sadistic here, but I guess this is what cheap education & cheaper social etiquette can do !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 30th June 2016 at 14:06.
Vik0728 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 14:09   #21012
BHPian

The problem is that most people, esp. bikers, drive on the roads that 'it is everyone else's but their responsibility to ensure their own safety'. No indicators, no following the rules, no helmet etc.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 14:20   #21013
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The MiG-27 is a single seat fighter bomber. The media got it wrong when they reported that two pilots were onboard.
You know, at first i wrote "pilot/s" because I had the same doubt. (Also if there were 2 on board, would they both be called "pilots"?)

Then I saw that every single article mentioned that 2 pilots were safe, and figured it was the real story!

Here's one picture i came across, showing one pilot:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pilot-ck0us9vuoaa9vbk.jpg
Source

Quote:
Look at the serial number of the wreckage. The serial number of the crashed MiG-27 was TU657. The stock MiG-27s have TS series serial numbers. Upgraded airframes got their serial numbers upgraded to TU series(numerals remained same).

IAF MiG-23UMs, which serve as trainers for the MIG-27 pilots, have MS serial number series.
Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
One off case where seat belts wouldn't have made any difference
I guess you've said this jokingly, but just wanted to say that in this case the seat belts would probably save the person from being thrown around a lot during the impact!

Watch some of the slow-speed side impacts in this video (eg. 1:50) and compare belted vs non belted (and how much each one gets thrown around)

Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 15:43   #21014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, this was indeed super close and would have killed the rider.

Happened this morning in Electronics City soon after the Phase 1 toll booth for BETL. She must thank her lucky stars.

I wonder how many seconds she would have saved by trying to squeeze that way when there were all hints as that truck limped back to reverse. And she wasn't lucky even after that fall as the Security Guard, till few seconds, never realised what had happened right behind!

And when I moved ahead, I could see the same rider zip-zap-zoom.... as if nothing had happened.
One word comes to my mind - INCORRIGIBLE. One thing I have seen with most two-wheeler riders of late is that they seem to have a penchant to keep moving uninterrupted, oblivious to the vehicles around. Just like how water is known to find its own level, majority of the bikers I encounter everyday seem to find their own way irrespective of the traffic condition with their criss-cross maneuvers and zero patience attitude. From the above incident, what is more appalling is that the biker failed to learn her lesson.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 16:30   #21015

I stay 400 m from a school in my establishment. Everyday I see at least 10-12 Omni/Eecos overloaded with children drop them off. It is a pitiful sight, not only in terms of safety buy also in terms of comfort for the children.

When will MSIL stop making such fragile vehicles. The worst part is, they build such tin cans and then allow them to be registered as tourist vehicles.

On one trip between Jamnagar to Ahmedabad, was overtaken by an Eeco probably doing >100 kmph. The vehicle doesn't look fit to even be doing 80 let alone 100.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks