Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2016, 09:22   #21226
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I flash headlights as well. Now if he is deaf and blind...God save him...shouldn't be on the road
Jokes apart, I don't slow down especially crossing buses or trucks because it provides incentive to the moron driver to suddenly cut into my lane.
But quite honestly, honking in our overtly noisy roads raises no clear distinguished alarm for the 'not-so' focused pedestrian who is crossing the road in this manner. And flashing makes no difference during day time, especially for a person trying to cross from behind the bus.

Wiser to slow down, even if that means an idiot or two would jut into your lane, than killing someone and ending up spending hours at the police station, or worse still - facing the mob's fury !
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 09:26   #21227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But quite honestly, honking in our overtly noisy roads raises no clear distinguished alarm for the 'not-so' focused pedestrian who is crossing the road in this manner. And flashing makes no difference during day time, especially for a person trying to cross from behind the bus.

Wiser to slow down, even if that means an idiot or two would jut into your lane, than killing someone and ending up spending hours at the police station, or worse still - facing the mob's fury !
I think I didn't explain correctly. I said I mantain my speed. .which is about 30/40kmph within the city, I obviously can't drive at 10 kmph to help a Jay walking moron can I? On the highways luckily the visibility is always good to spot such people and slow down when needed. Also honking works brilliantly on highways.
Old 21st July 2016, 09:29   #21228
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a habit that helps me from not mowing down pedestrians who cross from the front of the buses. I look for the feet beneath the bus body at the front. It will visible if you aren't too close to the bus parked.

But primary belief is that when there is a bus parked at the side of the road, there definitely WILL be someone carelessly trying to cross the road without looking.

"Anticipate and drive"!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 09:42   #21229
Senior - BHPian

As recieved on facebook, I can't verify the authenticity of this. However a really shocking practice from a China. It's got to do with the fact that one has to take care of a cripple for a lifetime versus paying a one time settlement for a dead person.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...t_china_s.html
Old 21st July 2016, 09:50   #21230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
No pictures to share, but the accident is puzzling.
Happy all are safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Panic and subsequent reaction that might not always be right? - BRAKING abruptly!!.
To add, when a big vehicle is moving at a very high speed, air drag gets created around the vehicle. When these vehicle are overtaking a small vehicle at a high speed the drag leads to push the smaller vehicle slightly out of its course resulting in swing. If the the driver is in slumber and is caught unaware, the vehicle tends to move out of its trajectory and the panicked driver would end up hitting the break harder and loose control.

Whether highway or city, village or town, when behind the wheels always be attentive and aware!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 10:56   #21231
BHPian

One of our members did mention about this Skoda lying on the Nehru Outer Ring Road, Hyd, i was able to click a picture while waiting at the toll booth.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160721_073526.jpg

Hope the accident wasn't bad on the passengers. I feel the car should be left there or may be on a raised pedestal so that everyone gets to see while driving on this road. Similar to the pictorial warnings on the cigarette packets, we should have such warnings/sightings on the highways so that atleast 15% of the public will drive safer and saner. We can even think of a museum/art installation types along the road or near pit stops so that people will realize what will happen to them (again at least 15% will change) in less than sub second when they drive unsafe.
sunishsamuel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 13:17   #21232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I flash headlights as well. Now if he is deaf and blind...God save him...shouldn't be on the road
Jokes apart, I don't slow down especially crossing buses or trucks because it provides incentive to the moron driver to suddenly cut into my lane.
Whatever tactic we use, ultimately, it is our responsibility not to mow down idiots.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 13:43   #21233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
A relative was doing about 70 kmph in a Vitara brezza(top end model) towards Chennai in the 4 lane, while a volvo bus overtook it at insane speeds after which the car felt unstable and when braked, turned turtle and landed on the opposite lane.
Adding to the points mentioned by others. The slipstream of the heavy vehicle affects the aerodynamics of the car in the adjacent lane. For a big vehicle like Volvo, combined with high speed, there will be considerable disruption of air mass and if one is not holding the steering wheel firmly, it may cause to pull into the vacuum created. The braking and subsequent events may be due to the recovery went wrong.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 13:54   #21234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
A request, Coming from someone who frequently travels on this route, Please drive slow, Specially during the rains, There are water logging on the curves as well.
Couldn't agree more. Especially the water logging, splashes actually blind the car on which the water falls for a second or so. Has happened to me too a couple of times.
Old 21st July 2016, 14:02   #21235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
. For a big vehicle like Volvo, combined with high speed, there will be considerable disruption of air mass and if one is not holding the steering wheel firmly, it may cause to pull into the vacuum created
Just wanted to point out that this effect is significantly more if there is a cross-wind because

A. The heavy vehicle temporarily blocks the cross-wind effect,
B. Creates turbulent air patterns when alongside the slower vehicle, and
C. On passing by, suddenly exposes the smaller vehicle back to the cross-wind.

All of these can contribute to an accident!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 14:43   #21236
BHPian

Quote:
Hope you don't prefer to mow down a human to letting some other vehicle cutting into your lane. I would suggest you always slow down under such conditions. Always expect the worst, on our roads, and be cautious.
And regarding flasing light and speeding off, Don't do that as well. The thumb rule is- if you see somebody/a vehicle about to cross the road, you should start braking in such a way that if he really cross and come on to your path, you should be able to bring your vehicle to a complete stand still without hitting him and without creating discomfort for the passengers in your car with a hard braking (hence the suggestion to start braking early).
vpillai is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:34   #21237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Hope you don't prefer to mow down a human to letting some other vehicle cutting into your lane. I would suggest you always slow down under such conditions. Always expect the worst, on our roads, and be cautious.
And regarding flasing light and speeding off, Don't do that as well. The thumb rule is- if you see somebody/a vehicle about to cross the road, you should start braking in such a way that if he really cross and come on to your path, you should be able to bring your vehicle to a complete stand still without hitting him and without creating discomfort for the passengers in your car with a hard braking (hence the suggestion to start braking early).
Have I mentioned anywhere that I will run over a jaywalker to prevent someone else from cutting into my lane??
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:35   #21238
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A chain snatcher wanted in a case at Bangalore is traced to Pune. Cops apprehend him there and bring him to Bangalore. En route the Innova car in which they are travleing, meets with an accident and the accused escapes

Source (Mugger sneaks away as Cops' car crashes)

Last edited by NPV : 22nd July 2016 at 12:03.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:27   #21239
BHPian

Quote:
Have I mentioned anywhere that I will run over a jaywalker to prevent someone else from cutting into my lane??
Your below statement somehow managed to convey that meaning. May be that is not what you meant to say. My point is, it is always better to slow down when you pass a stationary/crawling truck. Because your visibility is limited and you do not know what is there in front of the truck, which can come right on to your path within a matter of seconds. And unless you have already slowed down your vehicle in anticipatory, you may not have anything much to do to avoid a collision.
Quote:
vpillai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 15:05   #21240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Was kinda expecting that. As far as I am concerned I do all of the above and also honk and flash to put the fear of God in those senseless creatures so that they get off the road.

Rules must be followed by the pedestrians too. If I have to wait for everyone to cross the road, everyone also must wait for a break in traffic before they cross the road.

Every pedestrian is always in a hurry. As soon as they get off a bus or rick, they want to immediately crossthe road. It's their duty and responsibility to allow the traffic to pass and then cross. Also morons joining the main road from a side riad should not park their vehicles in the intersection and then wait for a break. They should not enter an intersection unless there is a break in traffic.

If I decided to wait to allow every tom dick and harry to cross before I moved ahead without honking or flashing the lights, I would not only not move much, but would probably be beaten to death by motorists behind me.

So in a nutshell, please don't expect me to be civil when no one else on the road is civil.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks