Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2016, 20:01   #21331
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I doubt these cars have hit each other. In fact, I don't think the jetta has hit anything at all.
The lower part of the Jettas bumper has caved in. Looks like the cross member behind the Balenos bumper pushed it in.
Old 3rd August 2016, 20:02   #21332
BHPian

The Baleno, like many modern cars has quite light build quality like most "efficient" cars around. This one is from the "kitna deti hai" stable, remember?

But all in all it has not taken the hit really that badly. The Jetta maybe having a broad piece of metal behind that plastic bumper same like the front apron and the Baleno's bonnet must be in the same level so as to have come in indirect contact upon hitting it during the collision so the result is expected. Apart from that, the bumper is deformed but not cracked or torn apart, also the side fenders seem to be virtually untoucbed from this angle. Damage has not travelled upto the windscreen. Maybe the right headlight mounts behind it might be damaged enough to need the whole light to be changed. Airbag costs too. But not really bad, I think.

It also seems like the jetta got hit in another place and angle different from the way it currently stands and has been moved since and we people will write up paragraphs on end before we realise it. Just saying.

Last edited by pixantz : 3rd August 2016 at 20:05.
Old 3rd August 2016, 21:12   #21333
Senior - BHPian

Well, the 'J' in Jetta and 'I' in TDI seems to have fallen off with the impact.

On a serious note, probably the Jetta had slowed down and was clearing a speed breaker with its rear wheel on it when the Baleno collided with it, add to that the nose dive the Baleno would have had on hard braking.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 22:28   #21334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt these cars have hit each other. In fact, I don't think the jetta has hit anything at all.
If you see the lower part of Jetta's rear bumper, you can easily see that it has caved in. This old Jetta is really like one big cement brick, i have seen this car at a workshop with its rear bumper removed and there is a huge, i really mean huge metal subframe to protect it from rear impact.

No wonder that the Baleno has shattered and the Jetta stands strong with a dislocated/damaged bumper. The whole episode would have been unbelievable for the poor Baleno guy, even the airbags got deployed.

I was travelling in a Skoda Rapid with a friend at 100-110 on highways and a Santro hit us from behind at high speeds, we got a big jolt forward, we stopped to see the damages and only the boot got a small dent and the bumper had slight paint cracking on the boot lip area, it was a relief seeing the car. VAG cars are solid, no two ways about it.
Old 3rd August 2016, 23:22   #21335
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any idea if the Baleno has crumple zones in the front? Would it be possible that these crumple zones absorbed the impact and were, umm... crumpled?
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 23:42   #21336
BHPian

Hi All,

Need some advice. Last Thursday while returning from office my car was swiped by a cement mixer truck. The construction company people promised full compensation for whatever amount I pay over insurance. Now those cheats aren't picking up calls.

Here's how it happenned -
I was going from the passport office(mundhwa) area towards Mundhwa chowk. The road narrows since there are barricades placed by traffic police on the left, for people aproaching from KP road. So between the barricades on the left and the divider on the right only one car can fit through.

There is heavy traffic in this chowk as usual. Was driving at crawling speeds and almost driven out of the bottleneck. When this truck tries to squeeze in from the right. Apparently he had not seen my car at all. I stop seeing this and start honking like crazy, nevertheless the truck scrapes two doors. It's pretty bad, the sheet metal on both the doors has been torn open.

After noticing what had happened, the truck promptly stopped a few 100 meters ahead. That sort of soothed my anger. He said he was sorry about this and agreed it was his mistake(I have his confession on video), and that his company will compensate for the damages the next day, since it was late in the night.

I was skeptical about it, and asked him for some identity proof. And then he started acting funny. Calls to his bosses ensued, and none of them gave any assurances towards compensating. That's when I decided to report this to the police.

I took him to the Mundhwa police chowkey and informed the officers there. They weren't keen on filing an FIR and said that if possible we should sort if out. Since the police had impounded his keys and licence, I agreed to talking to his bosses the next day. Three chaps came after repeated calls and agreed to compensate me for anything I pay after doing insurance. My mistake I did not take a post dated check or any other assurance from them.

Now when what's-app'ed them the bill and tried calling them, they are trying to back out. What are my options? I don't think the police are going to entertain filing an FIR now, that my car has been repaired. My car is over 4 years old and depreciation cost is around 35%. Come to about 15K after insurance.

Just after theAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20160728_00_24_00_pro.jpg
Ph03nix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 01:11   #21337
BHPian

You should let them know that you have a video of their driver confessing.
Also, I don't get that why did you opt for using your insurance. I have seen this stated in other cases as well over here and I don't get why the victims don't ask the offenders to use their third party insurance and get the car repaired that way.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 01:58   #21338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post

Made with mettle Vs German metal!!!!!!
Seems the Baleno front end was crushed like a tin can with a huge hammer head.
Thanks to ABS and Airbags, all occupants are safe.
But seeing the picture of Baleno, leaves several question in head.
It's time the poor aluminium tin can stops getting compared to whatever space age light weight material Maruti uses for it's cars. If only cola cans are made with it, one doesn't have to crush and throw in the bin; just throw in the bin and it will crush in the impact. Why? "made of crumple zone bro"
Old 4th August 2016, 09:37   #21339
Senior - BHPian

Well, VW must have been made up of some rare metal. What about the paint quality? It did not even accept the Baleno's red pigments.

I think this is the impact point-

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-baleno.jpg Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-jetta.jpg

Is there some cross bar behind the Jetta's bumper ?
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 10:06   #21340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

I am not sure of the MK 5 Jetta but the MK 6 Jetta has one. But i am pretty confident that there will be one for the MK 6 too.

We faced a similar situation with my BIL's MK 6 Jetta. It was last year during rains on the National HW Between Chalakudy and Thrissur in Kerala. A car in front braked suddenly and my BIL was able to brake the car without hitting the car in front but we got rear ended by an Alto. We felt a solid thud and were expecting bad damage. On inspecting we couldn't find any exterior damage except hairline cracks on the bumper paint at the point of impact but i was expecting that there will be damage to the cross member behind. But next day on inspecting we found no damages, absolutely nothing!

The alto was pretty badly damaged and the radiator was leaking and not in a 'drivable' condition. Jetta is pretty well built.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 10:51   #21341
Senior - BHPian

This was caught on dash camera yesterday evening -

(Ignore video date time stamp - I haven't updated those for a long time!) The action starts at around 5 seconds only. And finished by 15 or so. Its just default loop video clip from dash-camera, uploaded to YouTube as is. I could not cut and upload video.

Peak hours in Bangalore makes everyone feel like stealing 3 minutes at Signals is equivalent to stealing Kohinoor
abirnale is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 12:48   #21342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
But seeing the picture of Baleno, leaves several question in head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Another example of what built quality means,
I am sure you guys have heard about crumple zones and their function i.e. is to absorb kinetic energy and keep occupants safe. And this is what Baleno did.
Rear of cars (irrespective of brand) are strengthened to avoid injuries during rear end collision and this is what happened with Jetta.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 13:23   #21343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Guys, any idea if the Baleno has crumple zones in the front? Would it be possible that these crumple zones absorbed the impact and were, umm... crumpled?
All cars have crumple zones, of varying though. But this incident doesn't look severe enough for them to come into play. This was more of a "car smooch". Impacts where your front end is completely obliterated warrants the action play of the "zones". In those cases total front suspension, windshield, engine bay,etc are compromised.
Old 4th August 2016, 13:53   #21344
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Well, VW must have been made up of some rare metal. What about the paint quality? It did not even accept the Baleno's red pigments.

I think this is the impact point-

Attachment 1537973 Attachment 1537974

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
All cars have crumple zones, of varying though. But this incident doesn't look severe enough for them to come into play. This was more of a "car smooch". Impacts where your front end is completely obliterated warrants the action play of the "zones". In those cases total front suspension, windshield, engine bay,etc are compromised.
Just wanted to share my experience related to this. I(in Punto) was once rear ended by Innova.
I was stationary while this Innovas hit me at some good speed. Result were:
1. Completely crumpled Innova with bonnet crushed, radiator out, smashed full face.
2. The car in my front had its bumper bend in
3. No scratch on Punto! Some misalignment on rear bumper.

Later when I got the bumper removed, I saw two massive cross sections mounted perpendicular to beam which were slightly bend.
The design of these cross section was in V shape;thus the bending is restricted due to the perpendicular beam.

The look on Innova's driver was priceless!

I will try to post the pictures of the same if I find it. There was no way to tell that my Punto was involved with that Innova.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 14:09   #21345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
Hi All,

I took him to the Mundhwa police chowkey and informed the officers there. They weren't keen on filing an FIR and said that if possible we should sort if out. Since the police had impounded his keys and licence, I agreed to talking to his bosses the next day. Three chaps came after repeated calls and agreed to compensate me for anything I pay after doing insurance. My mistake I did not take a post dated check or any other assurance from them.
Did you try posting this incident on facebook? Pune police has an official page on facebook.

Post the photos & video of your car and truck. Mention the police officer names who refused to take your FIR. They cannot ignore which has been shared on social media. Do take help of your lawyer in all this.

IMHO police refuse to take FIR to show low crime rate in their respective areas. Root cause of this can be the rating system which rates police stations based on how many crimes were "reported" in their area. It can be changed to "how many crimes successfully solved and how helpful police are" then only these police stations will take FIR without any fuss.
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed