Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2016, 15:21   #21346
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I don't get why the victims don't ask the offenders to use their third party insurance
If you do that, you have to leave your vehicle at the police station for the paperwork. Basically you don't have access to your vehicle, while it is at the mercy of vandals.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 16:15   #21347
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm a great believer in VW build quality, which is why I drive one, but they have crumple zones too, and I'd feel less safe if they didn't!
Old 4th August 2016, 16:31   #21348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm a great believer in VW build quality, which is why I drive one, but they have crumple zones too, and I'd feel less safe if they didn't!
Its not only about having crumple zones, its also about having bumper protection, which most of the newer generation cars don't have. But the VW designs being on bit conservative side, they still have bumpers. Though if the bumper-less VW Ameo encounters such situation then it will take no time to turn back into the shape of Polo, but Polo having proper bumper will be bit more safer in the 'low speed rash test'.

Ofcourse no doubts about VW's build quality, but VW being VW, should avoid cars like Ameo.

Have posted low speed crash earlier as well, reposting again in reference of current discussion:

Here is low speed crash test of the 2006-07 Jetta:

Here is 2011 Jetta version:

Polo:

Swift, for a comparison:

You can find more tests of for more cars.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 4th August 2016 at 16:40.
tbppjpr is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 22:04   #21349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I am sure you guys have heard about crumple zones and their function i.e. is to absorb kinetic energy and keep occupants safe. And this is what Baleno did.
Rear of cars (irrespective of brand) are strengthened to avoid injuries during rear end collision and this is what happened with Jetta.

Shubhendra
You mean strengthened like this?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4021747

You can be 100% sure that if the Baleno was rear ended by the Jetta, the scene wouldn't have been any different from what you see in the above post.

Last edited by vpillai : 4th August 2016 at 22:06. Reason: .
vpillai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 22:28   #21350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Have posted low speed crash earlier as well, reposting again in reference of current discussion:
Its interesting you've posted these CESVI videos here, as I'd just created a thread about them earlier today : Related thread
Old 4th August 2016, 23:21   #21351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
Overtaking from left is a bit risky but not life threatening
Is there any alternative on Indian Highways?

I did the Hyderabad-Bangalore trip last weekend and had to overtake from the left several times. The truck and bus drivers leave no other option for faster vehicles. They drive like they own the roads. They just refuse to move, come what may. Sometimes I feel like stopping them and abusing them.

I have gotten stuck behind trucks moving in parallel as if they are chatting and driving. Madness!!

Last edited by SDP : 5th August 2016 at 22:41. Reason: typo
rohanak1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 08:21   #21352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
Is there any alternative on Indian Highways?

I did the Hyderabad-Bangalore trip last weekend and had to overtake from the left several times. The truck and bus drivers leave no other option for faster vehicles. They drive like the own the roads. They just refuse to move, come what may. Sometimes I feel like stopping them and abusing them.

I have gotten stuck behind trucks moving in parallel as if they are chatting and driving. Madness!!
Lane discipline is lacking in India. Take for eg the 6 lane stretch between Hosur and Krishnagiri. We have lorries plying on the left, middle and right lanes
When it comes to overtaking, cars criss cross at high speeds due to this.
In such cases we have no other option but to overtake from left wherever required but exercise caution while doing so as there will be a moronic driver overtaking you from the left at high speed.
Old 5th August 2016, 13:56   #21353
Senior - BHPian

The Baleno and Jetta incident reminded me of this which I had posted in 2011. Just like the current incident, not a scratch on the Jetta but the other two cars in question - Honda City and Porsche Panamera, had some considerable damage.
Old 5th August 2016, 15:46   #21354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
The stretch between Kurnool and Hyderabad is really good. Overtaking from left is a bit risky but not life threatening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I did the Hyderabad-Bangalore trip last weekend and had to overtake from the left several times. The truck and bus drivers leave no other option for faster vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Take for eg the 6 lane stretch between Hosur and Krishnagiri. We have lorries plying on the left, middle and right lanes [...] In such cases we have no other option but to overtake from left wherever required
I really don't like this thought that overtaking from the left is justifiable under certain circumstances and is not very dangerous. As it is our roads are death traps and we need to do everything that is in our control to reduce the threat to ourselves. If the truck ahead is not giving you way, what is the compulsion to overtake? The impact of having to drive at 30 kmph for 5 minutes during a 500 km journey where you average 80 kmph is only 3 minutes. Is saving those 3 minutes worth risking one's life and limb?
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 16:27   #21355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I really don't like this thought that overtaking from the left is justifiable under certain circumstances and is not very dangerous. As it is our roads are death traps and we need to do everything that is in our control to reduce the threat to ourselves. If the truck ahead is not giving you way, what is the compulsion to overtake? The impact of having to drive at 30 kmph for 5 minutes during a 500 km journey where you average 80 kmph is only 3 minutes. Is saving those 3 minutes worth risking one's life and limb?
except that it won't be for 5 minutes.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 18:15   #21356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
except that it won't be for 5 minutes.
Right. Then how much would it be? 10 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 hour? Ultimately one has to look at that number vis-a-vis being a number in the annual road accident statistics and decide for oneself.

I used to drive 2-3 times a month between Bangalore and Chennai a few years back. While others in my F&F circle used to boast of 5-hour trips, I would take anywhere between 6 to 8 hours, but have never been the worse for it. Most others had some scrape, some heart-in-the-mouth moment to relate; mine were the most boring trips ever.
Old 5th August 2016, 18:20   #21357
Senior - BHPian

Scenario: Trucker in front, on a long straight highway, you are behind him at slow speeds indicating your intent to overtake him on the right. A few honks, a few flashes, he does not budge even though he sees you in the mirror. You take a look in your rear view mirror, note that there is no vehicle behind you, you switch on left indicator, take to the left at sufficient gaps and then proceed.

What is wrong?

Oh and nothing wrong in boring drives. Better safe than worry
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 19:13   #21358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You take a look in your rear view mirror, note that there is no vehicle behind you, you switch on left indicator, take to the left at sufficient gaps and then proceed.

What is wrong?
The trucker, perhaps bored of taunting you, at the same time decides to let you overtake. He also moves abruptly to the left lane when you are about half-way into your manoeuvre. Knowing the kind of trucker you are talking of, he doesn't use his indicator and probably does not even have a left ORVM.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 19:33   #21359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is wrong?
Nothing is wrong.

Pedantically, everything is, but in practice, as long as we make every effort to make the overtaken vehicle aware of our presence, nothing is.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 20:03   #21360
Team-BHP Support

I would be the first to agree driving entirely by the rule-book is practically impossible in this country, but I also can't deny the fact that a lot of unnecessary dangerous driving happens on our roads plainly down to people's reluctance to waste a few moments (sometimes barely seconds!) holding their horses.

Also, just because a dangerous maneuver is rendered necessary in certain situations doesn't legitimize it. If something goes wrong while we're executing such a maneuver, it's still our fault irrespective of what caused one to try it in the first place.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed