Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2016, 20:42   #21361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The trucker, perhaps bored of taunting you, at the same time decides to let you overtake. He also moves abruptly to the left lane when you are about half-way into your manoeuvre. Knowing the kind of trucker you are talking of, he doesn't use his indicator and probably does not even have a left ORVM.
Personally, I would honk intermittently as long as I'm doing the overtaking maneuver which is a regular feature of my driving/riding. And the intervals of my honking is directly proportional to my speed. The more speed Im at, more honking Honking.

Most people understimate the importance of honking. Especially on highways and/or other high speed situations. Some also think its something like bad manners or something and needs to be done only once if one wants to overtake or something and then shut up. I use it to make sure that all my fellow road users know that Im coming through. Whether they can see me or not. Its much safer for everyone. And a bit of good honking never hurt as much as a crash.

Of course you don't have to overdo it. Its like a language with good words and bad words. So there's good honking and bad honking, but honking is a must I feel.

As we all know most people behave as if they are blind on the roads, be it drivers or pedestrians and tend to think that the other person is the one supposed to adjust. So honking is like making sure that you get their attention through the other one of their 5 senses. Just to be double sure.

Just my two cents. :P honk honk
pixantz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 20:43   #21362
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Read a safety report : Most accidents on the highway are while doing lane change maneuvers.
Old 5th August 2016, 20:50   #21363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Its not only about having crumple zones, its also about having bumper protection, which most of the newer generation cars don't have. But the VW designs being on bit conservative side, they still have bumpers. Though if the bumper-less VW Ameo encounters such situation then it will take no time to turn back into the shape of Polo, but Polo having proper bumper will be bit more safer in the 'low speed rash test'.
We need cars with "solid" bumpers in India.. Low speed crashes are often encountered here. Especially when we have bumper to bumper traffic in cities and lot of impatient drivers around, compounded also due to drivers maintaining no buffer space between vehicles in city driving. Quite many accidents, especially the frontal collisions damage the radiator and headlamps.
Old 5th August 2016, 21:40   #21364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nothing is wrong.

Pedantically, everything is, but in practice, as long as we make every effort to make the overtaken vehicle aware of our presence, nothing is.
Completely agree. And thats my rule for highway - make sure that the other vehicle is aware of your presence and your intention.

There is not guarantee that overtaking from right is 100% safe. You show the intent to overtake and then the trucker sees something on his side and he moves right. I have experienced this personally myself multiple times. One can relate this scenario with overtaking a state SRTC bus on 4 lane highway - All it takes for the bus driver to change his lane is to show his hand from the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Personally, I would honk intermittently as long as I'm doing the overtaking maneuver which is a regular feature of my driving/riding.
I try to honk in a different pattern than others to catch attention of pedestrians and other drivers. Say Bip Bip Beep or Bip Bip Bip Bip etc

Last edited by arjithin : 5th August 2016 at 21:43.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 22:17   #21365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Read a safety report : Most accidents on the highway are while doing lane change maneuvers.
Yeah! Which should include changing to the opposite lane as well.
Jumping the median being one of the most sought out maneuver.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 01:20   #21366
Distinguished - BHPian

No surprise that it scored ZERO stars in NCAP tests.

Brand-new Scorpio vs slightly older tree = 1 dead, 5 seriously injured. And this was a fully-loaded variant too!

Sharing from Facebook:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1_0_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2_2_o.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3_3_o.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4_4_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5_5_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If the FB post has details of what actually happened, could you post an attributed quote please?
Only what I described above. Upon asked if the OP's friend (the owner) was safe, he replied that his friend was not in the car.

The OP's words:

Quote:
build quality of Scorpio. My friends car. One casuality 5 seriously injured.

it's a new car too still the number plates not fixed.

ncap tested basic model with out airbags. But my friends car was a fully loaded version.

Is your friend safe?

he is not in d car

Last edited by RavenAvi : 6th August 2016 at 01:37. Reason: added reply
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 01:28   #21367
Team-BHP Support

The Facebook link isn't working, but the extensive damage overall and the second pic specifically suggests a rollover ending in a bottom-first wrap around the tree?

If the FB post has details of what actually happened, could you post an attributed quote please?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th August 2016 at 01:30.
Old 6th August 2016, 03:35   #21368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Brand-new Scorpio vs slightly older tree = 1 dead, 5 seriously injured. And this was a fully-loaded variant too!

... ... ...
Can't argue with the unimpressive NCAP rating, but frankly, the best of cars tend not to do well versus trees.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 10:36   #21369
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this one today, but not much detail in this report.
Source:One Wrong Turn

Quote:
A 32 Year-old woman escaped with minor injuries after her speeding car fell into the dry patch of Yemlur Lake in HSR Layout on Friday.
Old 6th August 2016, 11:06   #21370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
No safety stars would save a maniac drive.

All safety ratings including NCAP, should be used as a 'guide' for informed buying. A 5 star NCAP doesn't 'guarantee' safety, but would lower the consequences of an impact.

Ultimately all it boils down to how a person drives his vehicle. Looking at the pictures, I assume that the car has toppled multiple times before coming to halt. Being a new car, yet to be registered, I also suspect that the driver would not have gaged the power of the vehicle while doing few manoeuvring.

When it is a new vehicle it’s necessary to ‘get used’ to the vehicle before hitting the metal hard!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 11:16   #21371
BHPian

This happened last Sunday on ORR, Chennai. Superbly constructed 3 lane road with very less traffic and this happened at a mild curve ( not even a corner ).
Its Ertiga BTW and it was fully loaded(7 people on board). Happened 15 minutes before i reached the spot and according to the witness, it went out of control on the curve and rolled many times before coming to stop. There was no blood anywhere and i thought all survived. Sadly 2 people died on spot and others were being enquired ( Damn, i don't know why people cant understand their situation and leave them alone for some time). They were enquiring the guy and asking him to make calls with the bodies of 2 people lying down near him. I just cant forget his face. Felt sad for clicking these pictures after hearing 2 people died :(

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1470462260.296042.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1470462303.482345.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1470462325.111140.jpg
sid93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 12:04   #21372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid93 View Post
This happened last Sunday on ORR, Chennai. Superbly constructed 3 lane road with very less traffic and this happened at a mild curve ( not even a corner ).
This looks very bad. Lucky for others to have survived!

Quote:
Felt sad for clicking these pictures after hearing 2 people died :(
I understand, but it is necessary (most of the times) to showcase these pictures. It becomes a deterrent for others who drive rashly and be cautious. May the souls RIP!
LoneRidder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 12:16   #21373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
This accident happened to a friend of mine , it was a ford fusion diesel . My friend escaped the accident unhurt while the vehicle took all the brunt of the accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
All safety ratings including NCAP, should be used as a 'guide' for informed buying. A 5 star NCAP doesn't 'guarantee' safety, but would lower the consequences of an impact.
Adding a 4 Star Euro NCAP, 13 year older car from this thread. First the driver has to be 'careful' or 'awake', if not then it is upto the car and tree to decide their fate. The tree will always win this battle, but a higher rating may help the driver walk out safely.

Photos of the Ford Fusion available in the quoted post.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 12:48   #21374
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the car was doing very high speeds and hence lost traction at the curve.
Also not sure if all the car inmates were belted.
Saw 2 posts one from NPV and yours where cars have lost control on mild curves.
This situation mostly depends on the driver and driving dynamics of the car.

Last edited by SDP : 6th August 2016 at 12:49. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag
Old 6th August 2016, 13:59   #21375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Saw 2 posts one from NPV and yours where cars have lost control on mild curves.
As I always say: cars don't loose control: drivers do!

But the worst of cars, even with the worst of drivers, should be able to take anything the Chennai Outer Ring Road can throw at it, if it has not deteriorated since I drove on it a while back. It is a wonderful road!

I can't say, though, if it is immune from wandering dogs/cows/people/bikes or other things that might require a sudden swerve? And, however mild the curve, a driver is not going to make it if they loose attention. Or doze off.

Most Viewed