Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2016, 09:17   #21391
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Happened this morning on ORR, B'lore, near Prestige Tech Park.
To add to it, the Eon was further rear ended by an i10. I think it was only the driver inside and no injuries to him. Looks like he was buckled up.

Must have caused a huge pile up towards Marathahalli during this peak time of the day.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-orr.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 8th August 2016 at 09:21.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 09:59   #21392
BHPian

Witnessed a Horrible accident on Sunday, around 8:30 PM on electronic city flyover. A speeding cab hit two two-wheelers on the flyover near Garvebhavipalya on the way towards Madiwala.
One of the riders was crushed between the wall and the cab and declared brought dead to the hospital. While the other rider was flown off the flyover and fell 40 ft down on the main Hosur road and died on the spot. The pillion driver was taken to hospital and is in critical condition.
Could not take snaps as did not want to be insensitive and add to the traffic woes.

The shocking thing is that the cab driver fled the crime scene, which is surprising given that he was on the flyover and should have fled on foot, with very few public transport available on the flyover (no bus stops or anything nearby). Also, allegedly the cab driver was drunk.
Terrible loss to the family of the victim.
Rabbit80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 10:07   #21393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
Witnessed a Horrible accident on Sunday, around 8:30 PM on electronic city flyover. A speeding cab hit two two-wheelers on the flyover near Garvebhavipalya on the way towards Madiwala.
One of the riders was crushed between the wall and the cab and declared brought dead to the hospital. While the other rider was flown off the flyover and fell 40 ft down on the main Hosur road and died on the spot. The pillion driver was taken to hospital and is in critical condition.
Could not take snaps as did not want to be insensitive and add to the traffic woes.

The shocking thing is that the cab driver fled the crime scene, which is surprising given that he was on the flyover and should have fled on foot, with very few public transport available on the flyover (no bus stops or anything nearby). Also, allegedly the cab driver was drunk.
Terrible loss to the family of the victim.
god! what a way to go :(

as for culprits fleeing the scene, it's usually to avoid mob fury and high risk of getting thrashed. safer for them to flee and then surrender to the cops
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 10:24   #21394
Distinguished - BHPian

More on the E-City Flyover accident:

Quote:
Another motorcyclist was crushed to death in the accident

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-08bg_mail2_jpg_2963171f.jpg

Motorists and passersby at Garvebhavipalya on Hosur Road were in for a rude shock on Sunday evening as they saw a man fall to death from the Electronics City flyover.

Shailas Jaikumar (40), owner of a chicken stall and resident of Austin Town, was among the two motorcycle riders who were killed when a cab knocked them down on the flyover.

The impact of the accident was such that Shailas was thrown off the flyover. He crashed on the road 40 ft below and died on the spot.

The other victim, Tirupati Reddy (40), who owns a PG accommodation in BTM Layout, was crushed to death between the cab and the motorcycle he was riding.

Shailas’s relative Das, who was riding pillion, fell on the flyover. He sustained injuries and was taken to hospital.

According to the police, the accident occurred around 8.30 p.m. when Shailas and Das were returning home from Electronics City. Tirupati Reddy was also coming towards the city on his motorcycle.

The cab driver lost control on the vehicle and rammed into both the two-wheelers.

Traffic on Hosur Road at Garvebhavipalya came to standstill for over half an hour, till the Madiwala traffic police shifted the victims to the hospital and cleared the mangled motorcycles.

Cab driver flees
The driver of the car fled from the spot, leaving the vehicle behind. The police are on the lookout for him.
Link to the Article
Old 8th August 2016, 11:09   #21395
BHPian

I think the police can easily trace the cab driver by looking at the CCTV footages. Provided that the cameras are working fine. It is really a horrific incident. Some roads like ORR, ecity flyover, airport road flyover are not safe for two wheelers.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 12:56   #21396
Distinguished - BHPian

That image of the bike above looks photo-shopped to me. Is that from the actual accident site?
Old 8th August 2016, 13:00   #21397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
That image of the bike above looks photo-shopped to me. Is that from the actual accident site?
It is from the newspaper report with the link referring to the same at the end of my post.

I think it seems like the bike that was involved than a photoshop. I am not really a good "investigator" there!
Old 8th August 2016, 14:44   #21398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
I think the police can easily trace the cab driver by looking at the CCTV footages.
They have the car, right? It either belonged to the driver, or he was an employee. Records should identify him

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser
Some roads like ORR, ecity flyover, airport road flyover are not safe for two wheelers.
When two- and four-wheelers are driven with anything approaching decent standards, all roads should be fit for both. They are driven on the fastest highways, world wide.

It is true that I find some 2-wheel behaviour on flyovers to be incomprehensibly dangerous, especially on narrow 2-way sections: overtaking on left, with leg-crushing wall and/or deadly drop inches away, overtaking between the two lanes of traffic, etc etc etc. Not to mention stopping to talk on the phone!

None of which implies that the dead and injured here were other than innocent victims of a rampaging lunatic cab driver. I hope there is cctv evidence, and that charges will be brought accordingly. Anyway there must be lots of witnesses, including our own Team-BHPian.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 22:21   #21399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I really don't like this thought that overtaking from the left is justifiable under certain circumstances and is not very dangerous. As it is our roads are death traps and we need to do everything that is in our control to reduce the threat to ourselves. If the truck ahead is not giving you way, what is the compulsion to overtake? The impact of having to drive at 30 kmph for 5 minutes during a 500 km journey where you average 80 kmph is only 3 minutes. Is saving those 3 minutes worth risking one's life and limb?
I agree that overtaking from the left is quite dangerous but the 5 minute delay won't happen once but probably 50 times which adds a 250 minute delay. The important question is "why our truckers don't drive in the left lane or atleast move to the left lane when asked to?"
Why is it such a big problem? I have observed trucks competing with each other hogging all lanes. When we feel one truck will complete the overtaking, the other fool will try to accelerate. Why should they not be penalised for this foolishness? They driving in the right lanes on city roads is understandable to a certain extent but on highways is not acceptable.

Last edited by rohanak1 : 8th August 2016 at 22:24.
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 23:13   #21400
Senior - BHPian

I have no problem overtaking from the left as long as the truckers keep to the right.

I have no problem overtaking from the right as long as the truckers keep to the left.

Take your pick.

If you expect that people who can cover a journey in 3 hours should waste another 3 hours because two morons want to test who is the slowest, you are going to be disappointed.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 00:01   #21401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post

The important question is "why our truckers don't drive in the left lane or atleast move to the left lane when asked to?"
Why is it such a big problem?
They driving in the right lanes on city roads is understandable to a certain extent but on highways is not acceptable.
Are our 'highways' any better than city roads? India is quite a densely populated country.
It's not easy to panic stop, or regain momentum, or even make a lane change every time you encounter an obstacle. The chances of you facing one is more in the left lane.
Also, its not easy to move to the left lane every time a vehicle intends to make an overtake; remember, not everyone will make the pass from right side either.
I find it easier to drive if the heavy vehicles stick to a lane. They are predictable.

Truckers in India are amongst the most overworked and stressed, yet, personally, I've found them to be by far the better lot among the 'highways users'. They stick to their lane, indicate turns properly, and even make way for faster moving traffic whenever possible.
I don't mind the truckers hogging the right lane as long as they don't perform any dangerous manoeuvres or intrude onto the other lane.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 9th August 2016 at 00:06.
schakravarthy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 04:37   #21402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have observed trucks competing with each other hogging all lanes. When we feel one truck will complete the overtaking, the other fool will try to accelerate. Why should they not be penalised for this foolishness?
Sure, penalise them by all means (though I find this idea of penalising only truckers for this behaviour a bit elitist). Let us have a law that "accelerating when you are being overtaken is punishable by fine of Rs. 300 and 6 months imprisonment, or both".

The original question was not about penalties, though. In any case I can't see how overtaking the offending driver penalising them in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If you expect that people who can cover a journey in 3 hours should waste another 3 hours because two morons want to test who is the slowest, you are going to be disappointed.
Oh no, you have quite misunderstood me. That is most definitely not my expectation. My expectation is that people - on this board, at least - are rational human beings who can assess the risks and rewards of their behaviour. That they can see the risks of a dangerous road manoeuvre is death or lifelong suffering; and the reward - a few minutes saved in a many-hour journey - is simply not worth that risk.
Old 9th August 2016, 07:12   #21403
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I have seen most of the truckers stick to the right which is a good thing considering our current traffic situation. The problem arises when-

1. One trucker at 41km/h is trying to overtake another truck which is doing 40km/h. This becomes a problem especially on 4-lane highways. At times it's so confusing as the trucker doing 40km/h accelerates and overtakes the truck trying to overtake. Sheer stupidity!

2. It's best when these people stick to a Lane because when they change lanes they don't use their RVM's nor their turn signals. 80% of the times they simply jump into the other lane. A few narrow escapes in the past and I make it a point to flash my headlight's and honk loud enough to get their attention so that the truck doesn't jump into my lane.

IMHO truckers are best on 2-lane roads.
Old 9th August 2016, 07:25   #21404
BHPian

Quote:
When we feel one truck will complete the overtaking, the other fool will try to accelerate. Why should they not be penalised for this foolishness? They driving in the right lanes on city roads is understandable to a certain extent but on highways is not acceptable.

It's very rare that trucks do this for fun. Mostly it's with not shifting gears in the interest of mileage, loads and gearing. I find there are 99 cars to every truck which does this. Sometimes I find it easier to cut lanes without signaling the indicator. Many a times, using the indicator alerts the car behind to speed up and close the gap.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 08:04   #21405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
IMHO truckers are best on 2-lane roads.
Quite ironic you should say that; given the raison d'etre of the NHDP is to connect the major ports, export processing zones and manufacturing locations with efficient road connectivity for cheaper and faster truck movement.

Most Viewed