Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 16:59   #21481
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Look, both ways, before the crossing the road. Have a little intelligence. Have a little sense of self-preservation. Have enough consideration not to use other people in desire to kill oneself.
Good point. Where do you wait before the turn, middle of the road or on the extreme left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
The driver was showing her ID Card to the security folks. She was busy doing that and didn't notice the biker.

If those were ribbons on the Nano's bonnet then she must be a newbie driver as well.
Ah, yes, she was showing her ID card. Make sense, I thought she was shielding from the sun.
Old 17th August 2016, 17:44   #21482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

Blinded by sun? Not paying enough attention?
Newbie driver?
Thank God she was driving a Nano!
I can't imagine if it was a bigger car.

Notice the two security personnel in the beginning, wonder what took them long to react and one of them is holding the car from moving forward from behind?
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 18:00   #21483
Senior - BHPian

This happened to a colleague of mine in Vijayawada. He is still in hospital and so details are sketchy. It was said brake failure led to this mishap as it hit two lorries, head-on and from behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1471436919602.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1471436932517.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1471436999297.jpg  

Old 17th August 2016, 18:50   #21484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

If those were ribbons on the Nano's bonnet then she must be a newbie driver as well.
There are more clues than just those ribbons.
If you notice, even after hitting the lady, the car tried to inch forward.
After the security guys pushed the car back, it tried to move forward again.
The driver must be stepping on gas, instead of break.
More than a newbie
FORTified is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 18:53   #21485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Man, that i20 was travelling too fast.
I think the road where i20 is coming from is a straight one and vehicles come to this place at decent speed ( I am regular in this route). The biker looked to his front first, then to back, waited for 2 cars to pass and then immediately took a right turn without looking to front again. My view is that the i20 was coming not too fast, but failed to notice the biker; and biker also failed to notice the i20 coming from opposite direction.
Old 17th August 2016, 19:02   #21486
BHPian

Quote:

Blinded by sun? Not paying enough attention?
No sir. Not at all. I'd say: LACKING THE BASIC ABILITY TO DRIVE(ABSENCE OF BASIC DRIVING SENSE). The person issuing a licence to this particular specimen of a driver should be re-evaluated on his authority to do so himself.

If this driver is capable of doing this in broad daylight at not even 20kph and with a full grown up person with a scooter in front of her, just imagine what would happen to a small child or a smaller sized living being occupying the road! No chance of survival! Also, night time driving? Or what if that nano was a Scorpio or something as heavy? The poor scooterist wouldn't have live to tell the tale of her life. Period. Lets not talk about it. Totally unpredictable.

Just notice how she reacted after seeing that she hit someone. She was ready to totally climb all over her! Personally, I don't think there is any justification for this.

Last edited by SDP : 18th August 2016 at 08:10. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post for better readability
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 19:11   #21487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Security guard who was trying to push the car forward, when everyone else was trying to push it backwards... Where did you leave your brain at mate! :-|

Last edited by SDP : 18th August 2016 at 08:11. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post for better readability
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 19:18   #21488
BHPian

Quote:
Good point. Where do you wait before the turn, middle of the road or on the extreme left?
Personally, on such a narrow road, with fast moving traffic both ways, I always stop on the left, as far left as possible, and then only make the turn when both ways is free. I would also strongly suggest everyone to do the same.

Because logically, on a narrow road as the one in question, there is simply no room for one vehicle to stand proudly in the middle of the road and expect there to be enough room for other vehicles to comfortably keep zooming past both ways. Not happening. And either way, if there is even a slight error on anybodys part, the person who is waiting bang in the middle is the one who is going to eventually get banged up. Irrespective of which driver has more ego.

Of course, on broader roads, with dividers, you can do the usual maneuver. Remember all roadways, signals, signs, etc in our beloved country are far from acceptable construction methods. It's a sham, basically. So we are the ones who are left out to use the better part of our wit and stay alive in the process.
Old 17th August 2016, 19:25   #21489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Security guard who was trying to push the car forward, when everyone else was trying to push it backwards... Where did you leave your brain at mate! :-|
I assume that she was driving a Nano AT, coz if it was a manual, the car would've stalled, maybe she had given up on the accelerator but she didn't press the brakes and hence it kept on moving forward, after the guards had pushed it back.
Old 17th August 2016, 19:52   #21490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
I assume that she was driving a Nano AT, coz if it was a manual, the car would've stalled, maybe she had given up on the accelerator but she didn't press the brakes and hence it kept on moving forward, after the guards had pushed it back.
The fact the car moved forward twice indicate that its an AMT version and the driver not aware of how an AMT works if both legs are off the pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Just notice how she reacted after seeing that she hit someone. She was ready to totally climb all over her! Personally, I don't think there is any justification for this.
The lady driver cannot see the other lady in front of the wheels from her driving seat. On top of that she panicked. You can see that the driver was always looking to her left side to see what is happening ; not to the front.
Old 17th August 2016, 20:07   #21491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
The fact the car moved forward twice indicate that its an AMT version and the driver not aware of how an AMT works if both legs are off the pedals

The lady driver cannot see the other lady in front of the wheels from her driving seat. On top of that she panicked. You can see that the driver was always looking to her left side to see what is happening ; not to the front.
All good points.
But I have a query:
Was it just me or the victim didn't have the helmet fastened?
Old 17th August 2016, 20:08   #21492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
There was also a speedbreaker on which the car had stopped, probably why it took a while to push the car back.
Old 17th August 2016, 21:51   #21493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
All good points.
But I have a query:
Was it just me or the victim didn't have the helmet fastened?
She did not have it fastened. Just wore it like a cap. This also shows how unsafe these cap type helmets are. She is alive because it was a Nano. If it were a front engined bigger car, it would have run over her probably. And it looks to be an AMT nano. But I read somewhere Tatas dont come with creep mode?

One important emergency training for every driver is to press the brake pedal firmly under any panic situation and not let go of every control and pray that the car stops. Most people dont know what to do or how and end up in such situations. Ideally that lady should have stood on the brakes as soon as the initial impact happened. That would have been a lot smaller an incident than this one. Not sure how they settled this incident. If I were that lady on the two wheeler I really cant even imagine what I would have done to the car driver. Complete lack of situational awareness. She has not got her foot even close to the brake pedal. The creep function if present will shut down at the lightest tap of the pedal in my AMT Celerio.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 22:16   #21494
Senior - BHPian

Rear tire of a KURTC low floor bus burst, opening the floor beside rear tire and a passenger suffered broken leg on the impact.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kurtc1.jpg.image.784.410.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kurtc3.jpg.image.784.410.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kurtc2.jpg.image.784.410.jpg  

Old 17th August 2016, 23:27   #21495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Driver swerved to avoid a biker who suddenly came in his path and hit the divider. Car then moved to the left, hit the footpath and rolled. People rushed to help and pushed the EcoSport back up. Driver suffered injuries.

Airbags didn't activate.

Another Ecosport accident in which the Airbags didn't open.

A friend's friend and his family were travelling to Kodiakanal from Bangalore on Aug 13, 2016. They met with an accident at Dindigul by-pass, on the bridge that has a 'C' curve. It seems that they lost control and rammed into the bridge's parapet wall. The vehicle is badly damaged, the driver and a rear seat passenger suffered severe injuries and had to undergo orthopedic surgeries at a hospital at Dindigul. The surprising thing is that the airbags haven't opened up, even though the front end has lot of damage. Both the driver and the front seat passenger had worn seat belts.

The owner of the car is thinking of raising a complaint with Ford on the non-functioning of airbags in a major accident as this one.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160815wa00131.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160815wa00091.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160815wa00051.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160815wa00041.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160815wa00031.jpg

The Dindigul by-pass bridge, where the car hit the parapet wall:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160815wa00081.jpg
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks