Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2016, 18:24   #21556
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

From what we've seen especially in the last one year or so, and not only on this thread but in any media, its a magical statistic of youngsters (20-somethings) having an eery tendency to display utter neglegance to the simple laws of physics during driving and all ending up becoming one, literally, with their machines in the form of crumpled sandwiches. Reasons may be many but no one has apparently been able to pin point any one or two most likely possible reason(s) for this alarmingly increasing and sad recurrence we can see these days.

Is it psychological? Is it it the latest fad to defy the laws or possibilities of physics come what may? Is it to do with the psyche of the younger "drivers" if you may call them so? Powerful motors and/or better roads may be indirect contributers but I dont think they are the main reason. Because logically if you ask any driver, they will all agree that if you jump off a bridge or do something equally stupid, you will most certainly die. Then what causes them to act this way?

I'm curious and waiting to have an opportunity to ask any lucky guy who has escaped this stupidity by some miracle, as to what was he thinking when he was going about doing it. Sadly almost none of them live to tell the story. If there is one.

Last edited by pixantz : 22nd August 2016 at 18:26. Reason: Correction in diction
pixantz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:00   #21557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Have a little intelligence. Have a little sense of self-preservation. Have enough consideration not to use other people in desire to kill oneself.
+1. Absolutely!
It doesn't matter who is at fault, ie, whether the 2 wheeler or 4 wheeler, it doesn't matter whether compensation is received or not. Nothing can ever restore an injured / or dead person!

In this context, I believe it is exactly same as the food-chain which we studied in biology in our school days.

Rat will get eaten by Cat
Cat will get eaten by dog
Dog will get eaten by Wolf
Wolf will get eaten by a Lion .. so on.

All animals will have a high degree of self-preservation when it comes to an animal which is higher than that in the food chain. They are doubly, nay, n-fold cautious when they sense danger - otherwise they will just perish.

In a similar way,
A pedestrain should be wary of ALL vehicles
A cylce has to be wary of all vehicles above it (viz, mobikes, cars, buses,etc)
A mobike has to be careful of all vehicles above it (cars, buses,etc)
A car has to be careful of all vehicles above it (tractors, bus, lorry,)
A bus or lorry has to be careful of train, etc.

Unlike the animal kingdom, the "road" users/kingdom does not seem to appreciate this fundamental truth.
It doesn't matter who is at fault. Chances of higher damage / injury is ALWAYS tilted towards the lower class of vehicle.

It is best to err on the side of caution, when you are interacting (be it crossing, overtaking, following, anything) with a class of vehicle which is higher than yours

The difference between the animals/food chain and people/vehicles is that unlike in the former, where there is no law to punish the aggressor, in the latter, in addition to the damages/injuries, you will also have to contend with the long arm of law and other related mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
Another Ecosport accident in which the Airbags didn't open.
Man, that's pretty scary. Slightly OT, how does one check/verify that AIRBAGS are fine ? I mean, we'll know ONLY when the darn thing is not working when an accident happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Hey guys, in this incident did the two wheeler guy survive? I did not find this information any where?
From what they were saying in the news channel, the person is injured and admitted to hospital.

Last edited by haria : 22nd August 2016 at 19:20. Reason: To avoid back to back posting
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:34   #21558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Drive safe, kiddos. Take your time to polish your driving skills. Cars are too fast these days, and the roads full of idiots.
+1 to this GTO.
When I was convincing my dad to get me a bike, he told me to spend two days in the casualty department of the govt. medical college. I had to give him a report of what I had seen to him. I was pretty much shocked/horrified by some sights and the screams and groans of the injured person when being treated made a damn strong impression on me.

Rather than giving kids advice, more effective way would be a mandatory session to visit the casualty dept of a govt hospital. The sights one will see of various accident cases, will ensure that they get a better appreciation of safety first, et. all. In the online world, I have told couple of my colleagues' kids to go thru this thread in team-bhp - about accidents in India, before even going for a DL test.
haria is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 01:50   #21559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
The driver must be stepping on gas, instead of break.
More than a newbie
Not using brake (must be the shock!) and the speed bump. The car rolled a bit while the driver is getting out of the car.
Old 23rd August 2016, 15:38   #21560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Today, I witnessed an accident and one which could have affected me too (fortunately it didn't)
...old lady riding pillion was not responding to anything. It was fatal.
It was clearly a bad overtaking move. two two-wheelers were already on the lane and this motorbike tried to overtake them by crossing the lane and he hit the mirror of the indicab.
Did you exchange any details with the Indica driver?

After watching the video, it's clear that it's not really his fault.

However, he doesn't have that advantage of a replayable 20-20 hindsight.

Poor guy is probably going through a horrible time right now with the police etc. Who knows what he's being blamed for and prosecuted for.

Is the number plate visible? Can you get in touch?
Rehaan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 15:48   #21561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Poor guy is probably going through a horrible time right now with the police etc. Who knows what he's being blamed for and prosecuted for.

+1 to Rehaan and mayankk.

Just this small video clip can save this poor soul from a lot of trouble. I also hope the lady pillion was doing okay! I have been through similar situation and it wasn't easy by any means!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
She sadly passed away!
EDIT: RIP. More bad news for Indica cab driver in that case. Sad.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 23rd August 2016 at 16:00.
Old 23rd August 2016, 15:57   #21562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I also hope the lady pillion was doing okay!
She sadly passed away!
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:02   #21563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Unfortunately no, I haven't been able to find any contact details of the cab driver. The Karnataka RTO Website is down.

The number is clearly visible and it is KA 51 9778. The only details I could get online is as shown below.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

I have asked a friend who has some contacts in RTO to get me the details.
He has told me he'll try but he also gave me a personal word of caution to not get into it.
I'm not sure what more I can do.

I hope he is not in a huge trouble.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:13   #21564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Since the accident resulted in a fatality, surely a criminal case would be registered at the area police station. You can pass on the video directly to the police in whose jurisdiction the accident spot falls.

Alternately, you can check with your local police station and let them know that you were witness to an accident and happened to have it recorded in your dashcam. You can check with them if the footage would be useful. They can take it further.
schakravarthy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:16   #21565
BANNED

Quote:
Today, I witnessed an accident and one which..Someone called 108 for the ambulance and it arrived within 5 minutes as it was very close to the town
May I know your speed? From the camera it seemed quite fast for that state road.
Also the video has a date as 2/1/2000 bottom left. Is it an old video?
In the second screenshot it looks like the bike center stand came down and rear wheel got lifted.

Last edited by hangover : 23rd August 2016 at 16:22.
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:53   #21566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I hope he is not in a huge trouble.
Why don't you put up the details on BTP page on FB along with the video explaining the sequence of events. It may get picked up by the concerned authority knowing how effective social media is.
Although the accident occurred outside Bangalore and fatalities occur on a daily basis , it may go un-noticed too.

Yes, there are chances that you may get pulled into it too if they decide to follow-up.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:05   #21567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
May I know your speed? From the camera it seemed quite fast for that state road.
Also the video has a date as 2/1/2000 bottom left. Is it an old video?
In the second screenshot it looks like the bike center stand came down and rear wheel got lifted.
It is a National Highway (NH948) and not a state road.
I probably was doing around 80Kmph. I distinctly remember being in the 4th gear after having overtaken a truck a few seconds ago.

I realised the date part after I saw it on my PC. Its been reset due to a faulty battery in the dashcam.
In year 2000, there was no car in our family let alone me owning this car, I didn't have a valid 4-wheeler licence, I didn't even have a MCWG licence, There was no dashcam at that time...
Dashcam videos appear/feel faster as per my experience(I don't know if Its only me)

Its not the centre stand IMO. I guess its the drain pipes. Not sure though.

All your questions are valid. Taking no offense to it, this is why my colleague is telling me to stay out of it and I might get entangled in unnecessary hassles.
It feels bad but our legal system is something that is not very people-friendly
hemanth.anand is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:54   #21568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Alternately, you can check with your local police station and let them know that you were witness to an accident and happened to have it recorded in your dashcam. You can check with them if the footage would be useful. They can take it further.
This sounds to be a sensible suggestion. Agree with you schakravarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Why don't you put up the details on BTP page on FB along with the video explaining the sequence of events.
Chances are very slim that the right pair of eyes will see it.

Quote:
Yes, there are chances that you may get pulled into it too if they decide to follow-up.
This could be a possibility. But, you will not be booked, I guess. You may be asked to visit the court, when the case comes up for hearing.

Quote:
I realised the date part after I saw it on my PC. Its been reset due to a faulty battery in the dashcam.
This could be an issue in proving the legitimacy of the video.
They could always argue that it is old video.

Quote:

Dashcam videos appear/feel faster as per my experience(I don't know if Its only me)
The information displayed at the bottom of the screen can be configured. By default it shows Lang/Lats, date/Time, speed of the vehicle. The speed can be suppressed. Please check if your speed is displayed. If not, nothing to worry.
PLEASE, for god's sake, see if you can help that cab guy.
Rarely we come across cab drivers that are not at fault. May their tribe grow.
I don't have any legal/police connections. Otherwise, I would have jumped in. But, I am still willing to come along, if you want to do something to help him. In the meanwhile, I will try in my friend circle to see if anybody has contacts.

Saw your video again. Your speed is not displayed.
Unfortunately, Lang/lats are also not displayed and date is wrong. Tricky.

Last edited by FORTified : 23rd August 2016 at 18:10. Reason: To add few more comments
FORTified is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 18:22   #21569
Distinguished - BHPian

I won't quote all of you but this should give you an idea on what reality can be!

I failed to prove a guilty as guilty and here Hemant has to try to prove an innocent as innocent.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hitrun.jpg

Dates back to around a month before when I captured an accident on my Dashcam:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4012665

I posted on the FB Wall of BTP including the vehicle number of the LCV that was verified using the functional RTO website then.

Unable to get any response, I emailed traffic police too and no response.

I then tried their so called "Public Eye" portal but that doesn't allow me to upload videos. So I saved a screenshot of the Video as an image file and uploaded this on Public eye and then Tweeted.

See that response above - I am supposed to give a WRITTEN Complaint. I gave up (which I usually dont)!

EDIT: Good Luck Hemant

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd August 2016 at 18:30.
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 19:32   #21570
BHPian

Hemant sahab, you may even send an email to the PRO at proctr-trans-ka@nic.in along with posted on BTP's FB page.

I'm not sure if he would be able to help though!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks