Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2016, 15:10   #21736
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

^^ I don't blame you but do note that 'post numbers' is mentioned. Page numbers are not a reliable guide for cases where someone might have chosen the option to display 10 posts per page, instead of the 15 that T-BHP has opted for.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 22:22   #21737
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: No more off-topic posts please. If you want to request a title change or anything else, report this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
The name distinctly says "Pics" which means ideally sharing the pics with a small detail, but in reality there are roughly 50-100 posts between every pic on an average
Further to what SDP said, if you only want to see the pics on this thread, click here .

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2016 at 22:24.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 10:09   #21738
BHPian

Got it on my Whats App

All the safety features fail in front of mother nature.

A tragic incident in Joshimath yesterday. Col and Mrs Sudip kumar killed in a car accident in the morning. 4y old son has survived. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

*Press Release*

आज दिनांक 11/09/2016 को गढ़वाल स्काउट के कर्नल सुदीप कुमार उम्र 42 वर्ष अपनी पत्नी smt शीतल उम्र 36 वर्ष , पुत्र शोभित उम्र 5 वर्ष तथा ड्राइवर प्रेम सिंह के साथ गाडी XUV 500 रजिस्ट्रेशन नं0 HP62-4272 से बद्रीनाथ जा रहे थे विष्णु प्रयाग से 3 किलोमीटर आगे समय 10:10 AM पर सड़क पर अचानक पहाड़ से पत्थर आ गए तथा उनकी गाडी पत्थरो की चपेट में आकर सड़क से नीचे गिर गयी जिसमे smt शीतल की मौके पर ही म्रत्यु हो गयी और कर्नल सुदीप को गंभीर चोटें आई ड्राइवर प्रेम सिंह और शोभित को हलकी चोटें आई सूचना मिलने पर थाना गोविन्द घाट पुलिस ins. Joshimath और SDRF ने मौके पर पहुँच कर घायलो को निकाला और अस्पताल भिजवाया और म्रतक के शव को मोर्चरी भिजवाया गया मौके पर सड़क को खोलने के लिये BRO काम कर रही है
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1473654168088.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1473654174236.jpg
nkghai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 11:16   #21739
Senior - BHPian

Gosh, the XUV has been crushed like a matchbox! It's a miracle the driver and the kid survived.

True, nothing can protect against mother nature's fury.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 12:13   #21740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Got it on my Whats App

A tragic incident in Joshimath yesterday. Col and Mrs Sudip kumar killed in a car accident in the morning. 4y old son has survived. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Very unfortunate incident and its a miracle that the driver and kid survived. Here is the English version of this news,

DEHRADUN: A planned visit to Badrinath turned fatal for a senior Army officer and his family after their car was hit by falling boulders in the landslide triggered by rainfall near Pandukeshwar in Chamoli district, on Sunday morning.

While Colonel Sudeep Kumar and his 38-year-old wife Sheetal died inside the car, their son and driver sustained serious injuries in the accident that occurred at a place called Pinola, located between Pandukeshwar and Joshimath, on Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway.

According to Santosh Badoni, deputy secretary, disaster management department, "The Colonel was going to Badrinath with his family when their car was hit by boulders and rocks rolled down from the mountain around 9:30 am on Sunday. The vehicle also rolled down into a 70-feet ditch by the landslide. Relief and rescue operation was immediately initiated by the SDRF and district administration."

A 15-member rescue team of State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) reached the spot and recovered the dead bodies of the Army officer and his wife, while the injured persons were given immediate medical attention. An Army rescue team also reached later to help the rescue team. "The injured persons were taken to hospital at Joshimath for treatment and are said to be out of danger," said an official.

According to authorities, the Colonel was posted at Lansdowne and was going to Badrinath with his wife and son. The ill-fated vehicle was being driven by Colonel's driver.

Meanwhile, many places in the state received heavy rainfall on Sunday, including Dehradun, which witnessed heavy downpour in the afternoon. The Met department also issued further 36-hour alert of heavy rain at isolated places especially in Dehradun, Chamoli, Bageshwar, Pithoragarh, Udham Singh Nagar and Nainital districts.

New Link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/54279607.cms
arun_josie is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 16:52   #21741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
never seen/heard of a 4 wheeler falling off a cliff from its "parked" position.

How this happened ??
I have a strong suspicion that apart from the errors and mechanical failures of vehicles, most novice drivers and even some experienced ones are unawares about the brake pedal becoming ineffective if the engine is not running. A few such incidents have been reported in kerala about cars landing in water and running off cliffs, while being parked or moved from parking.
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 18:11   #21742
BHPian

Witnessed an accident right in front of my home, on NH66 a few hours back. I was home for Bakrid leave when I heard a loud bang and screams. Ran outside and saw this:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture2.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture3.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture4.jpg

Here is a very badly drawn depiction of what happened:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg

The road is very narrow, too narrow for an NH. So any parked vehicles cause a bottleneck. Now this auto pulls up in front of my neighbours house to pick up some kids. Now a bus is coming in the opposite direction quite fast. The lorry coming up behind the auto tries to overtake it and squeeze in before the bus can cross. Obviously theres not enough space and the lorry has to swerve left, in the process clipping the auto, crushing it and spinning it around. The driver immediately tries to flee but is caught and gets slapped around. The cleaner was drunk and tries to intervene, yelling abuses at the people and for his efforts he gets his share of the crowds anger.

The auto driver is injured, his face all cut up and was bleeding. He was taken to a nearby hospital, the lorry driver sent along with him. Meanwhile this being an NH, huge jam starts to build up, with some private buses cutting lines, trying to get ahead and creating even more chaos. The cops came soon and were trying to restore some order.

One of the locals, a lorry driver himself, moves the lorry to the nearby police station. The auto was in no condition to be pushed aside. So me and a few others lifted it up and moved to a nearby empty plot. There was blood everywhere inside the auto. Thank God this happened before the passengers got in, or it could have turned tragic.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 12th September 2016 at 18:13.
GeneralJazz is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 19:11   #21743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got it on my Whats App

A tragic incident in Joshimath yesterday. Col and Mrs Sudip kumar killed in a car accident in the morning. 4y old son has survived.
I have goosebumps typing this as i travelled same road just three days back with my wife in a bullet on the way to Badrinath Ji and Mana. There are hundreds ( i am not kidding) of landslides right once you get down from Joshimath to river bridge at Vishnu Prayag.
Throughout my 10 days of riding throughout upper Uttarakhand we have saw countless landslides, in some stretches 12-15 in one kilometre. And i must have imagined the scene of a big rock hurtling down on me many times everyday.

Nature's fury :(
Deep condolences to family..........
Old 12th September 2016, 22:40   #21744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
... the brake pedal becoming ineffective if the engine is not running. ...
It doesn't become ineffective: it still works.

What is not there is the servo assistance that we are used to when driving. Instead of a modest amount of foot pressure stopping the vehicle, we have to apply a lot of pressure. Really a lot. A dramatic difference.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 23:26   #21745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
True, nothing can protect against mother nature's fury.
Its not so much, mother nature's fury or power, its poor road planning. Its already very well known that even the safest car on earth needs very little to be crushed into dust when it meets the right opponent > a stationary barrier or another car at formidable speed, heck even a Mercedes S-Klasse with all its airbags and assists met its match when it went under a trailer and had its A, B & C pillars straight chopped off.

In this case, well its always risky moving over mountainous terrain.. mountain rock is very uneven and since its always changing due to atmospheric conditions like snow, rain, heat and other activities like tectonic shifts, mild quakes etc the loose rocks will fall out at various stages.. no mountain is safe world over save for some really solid volcanic mountains existing in stable weather. That fall is enough to powder any vehicle, whatever remains of that mess would be pure luck.. or bad luck depending on the situation.

I've said it once I'll say it again.. g-forces are lethal enough, and they really don't consider even 10 airbags as remotely a challenge.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 18:15   #21746
Senior - BHPian

Good safety initiative from Hyundai. .

#BeTheBetterGuy

ecenandu is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 11:02   #21747
BHPian

This happened on 1st September in Vijayawada and all the passengers in the Safari escaped with injuries of various degrees. Again the damage could have been minimised if they were wearing seatbelts.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160903wa0002.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160903wa0001.jpg  

damodar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 11:17   #21748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Again the damage could have been minimised if they were wearing seatbelts.
Two factors played into the Safari's occupants being lucky:
1. Lucky they hit the rear wheel of the truck, instead of going between the wheels, where the truck's chassis would have been the point of impact at a greater height.
2. Lucky they were in a vehicle with high nose height - since I've rarely seen trucks here with side under-run protection.
arunphilip is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 11:23   #21749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

#BeTheBetterGuy
Really heart warming to see that few manufacturers are not just interested in numbers, but care about safety too. Use of a popular celebrity will also help drive the point to a wider audience. Really good initiative

While at it, I hope Hyundai also goes out of the way and advocates use of Helmets while riding too
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 11:59   #21750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

#BeTheBetterGuy
I like the tag line "BeTheBetterGuy". Very positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
This happened on 1st September in Vijayawada and all the passengers in the Safari escaped with injuries of various degrees. Again the damage could have been minimised if they were wearing seatbelts.
I am surprised by the momentum of the Safari. It threw the truck's rear wheels into the air and moved the truck around completely. It must have been traveling at high speed. Lucky for them the truck was not loaded, otherwise the damage to the Safari and its occupants would have been much more.
mustang_shelby is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks