Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2016, 14:56   #21751
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
... surprised by the momentum of the Safari. It threw the truck's rear wheels into the air and moved the truck around completely. ....Lucky for them the truck was not loaded.
Shocking view of the forces in action.

Lot of things happened in favour of the Safari.

With the Safari around the 2.7 Tonne mark (with load) and the unloaded truck (at about 4.5 Tonnes), both vehicles were relatively closer in terms of weight.

In fact the Safari had higher momentum at the point of impact (the truck's momentum was in the side direction) as is clearly evident: The truck swung so hard like a pendulum and slammed into the side walk. The Safari was able to transfer most of its momentum to the truck (lucky that they hit the wheel of the truck). Any other lighter vehicle would have been at a serious disadvantage.

Had the truck been loaded (upto 16 tonnes for this Tata 1613), the rear wheels of the truck woudn't have budged sideways and the Safari would have absorbed all of its momentum and the results would have been catastrophic.

Except for the left A pillar, the Safari's passenger cell looks alright. Its very likely that Seat belts wouldn't have been used.

If you see most of the surveillance videos (either in this thread or elsewhere), its very alarming to see people just drive cross across junctions maintaining the same speed and not slowing down even a little to see if any vehicle is crossing at the same time. Everyone wants the other person to stop, the prevailing common attitude seems to be: "Safety is not My business" mainly due to lack of awareness (ignorance). Hope this awareness is brought about among our driving population in all ways possible.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 14th September 2016 at 15:06.
for_cars1 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 15:23   #21752
Team-BHP Support

Some people not only DO NOT slow down at junctions, they actually hold down the horn and speed up!

Of course, some of them learn the hard way that nobody really cares for a honk these days. Some just die ignorant.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th September 2016 at 15:24.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 16:27   #21753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Lucky they hit the rear wheel of the truck, instead of going between the wheels, where the truck's chassis would have been the point of impact at a greater height.
I am no expert, but still i feel the Safari did not hit the rear wheel.

From the video, though it is not 'very' clear, it shows that the Safari is hitting just before the rear wheels.

In the below picture it is very clear that the front bumper of Safari is almost intact! If the Safari had hit the tyre, the bumper would have completely come off. However, the bonnet is badly damaged, could be due to hitting below the trailer part.

I guess on seeing the truck, the Safari has hard braked, (tire marks evident on the road), however due to speed the vehicle still moved and ended between two wheels of the truck, and since the truck was empty the rear wheel after hitting or climbing over the left wheel of Safari jumped over like a swing and landed in the opposite direction.

Nevertheless all were lucky to have waked out alive!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident-pic-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident-pic-2.jpg  

LoneRidder is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 16:49   #21754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Good safety initiative from Hyundai. .

#BeTheBetterGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Part III against drinking + driving. Decent, but not as impressive as the first two. Also, didn't quite get the connection between ABS + rollover.
Yup, same.
ecenandu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 19:21   #21755
BHPian

Great initiative by Hyundai! At a time when most manufacturers are turning a blind eye to vehicle safety, this comes as a welcome initiative.
Quote:

Yup, same.
Not sure either, but IMO that guy represents the unacquainted or, partially acquainted youth of today who do not know completely about these systems, and think they make the car invincible. Hence the mention of "rollover".
Or maybe I'm thinking too deep?
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 07:57   #21756
BHPian

Quote:
Good safety initiative from Hyundai. .

#BeTheBetterGuy
Irony is that, in one of the older Santro Xing ads, SRK abruptly halts at exit of an highway, reverses the car to continue on the highway! Which we see quite often like those people missing the A2B on Krishnagiri NH or missing the entrance to NH44 (aka NH7) from NH544 (aka NH47) at Salem.

Glad SRK & Hyundai too became that #BeTheBetterGuy

sgmitr13 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 14:57   #21757
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

If you see most of the surveillance videos (either in this thread or elsewhere), its very alarming to see people just drive cross across junctions maintaining the same speed and not slowing down even a little to see if any vehicle is crossing at the same time. Everyone wants the other person to stop, the prevailing common attitude seems to be: "Safety is not My business" mainly due to lack of awareness (ignorance). Hope this awareness is brought about among our driving population in all ways possible.
Such incidents happen because these guys assume that everybody else is in bed and they are the only ones driving on the road at 2:42 AM (see time stamp on the video).

Last edited by SmartCat : 15th September 2016 at 15:00.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 16:30   #21758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, same.
I am guessing that the Creta being a vehicle with high CG - if you swerve while panic braking to avoid an obstacle - it could lead to the car rolling over.
The likelihood of this may reduce due to ABS not letting the wheels get locked.

This is what I gathered from the video - please do correct me if I am wrong. Haven't had the chance to experience the same (thankfully)!

I really like this initiative from Hyundai - it is the need of the hour, and very direct with it's message: We care for your safety, but do you?
Old 15th September 2016, 17:28   #21759
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Some people not only DO NOT slow down at junctions, they actually hold down the horn and speed up!
IMHO the signals with the numbers that countdown to red (or green, but red is the dangerous instance) are more dangerous than ones without a timer.

When the green light is counting down to red a driver will automatically speed up to beat it. If this timer was not there he will slow down knowing that it may change at any moment.

Cops sometimes take control of a signal changing the lights looking at traffic. This is the cause of huge and in India. He will wait to allow a huge chain of vehicles to pass through keeping all other lanes locked up.

If he would do only his job, like writing up challans at all no parking zones, the automatic timer on those signals will keep all roads moving smoothly.

If anyone is interested the Blr. police have a list of all signals in the city with their time intervals:
http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...AK%20HOURS.xls

Observation cameras which are dome shaped are at 180 places:

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...e&id=66&btp=66

Speeding cameras (you may be speeding, not the camera) are at four locations:

List of Speed Cameras:-
1. Hosur road - near Koodlu Gate towards Bengaluru City
2. Hosur road - near Koodlu Gate towards Hosur
3. Mysore road - R.V. Engineering College junction
4. BSF - Bengaluru International Airport Road
5. Canadinan Public School (International Airport Road)

Here is idea for you to steal: interface these camera locations with google maps. Warn users.

I noticed a couple of odd road signs on the Blr police website. I've never seen them. Have you? Last two at the bottom - "compulsory bus stop" and "restriction ends here".
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image.jpeg  

Last edited by hangover : 15th September 2016 at 17:34.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 17:43   #21760
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the update on the same -

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
List of Speed Cameras:-
1. Hosur road - near Koodlu Gate towards Bengaluru City
Not working
2. Hosur road - near Koodlu Gate towards Hosur
Not working
3. Mysore road - R.V. Engineering College junction
Haven't noticed it. However, I guess there is some metro rail related work ongoing at this junction. It may not be possible to speed here anyway
4. BSF - Bengaluru International Airport Road
Not working
5. Canadinan Public School (International Airport Road)
Not working. However, have noticed police interceptor vehicles stationed couple of KM's ahead of this sometimes.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 17:50   #21761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I noticed a couple of odd road signs on the Blr police website. I've never seen them. Have you? Last two at the bottom - "compulsory bus stop" and "restriction ends here".
That first sign used to be very common in Chennai some years back - streetside stops with no shelter where the bus would sometimes just accelerate past if he was on a deadline, regardless of any such sign.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 18:33   #21762
BHPian

Ok, I do appreciate Hyundai's new ads about safety; but I just can't forget how all their Indian cars so far crash tested faired. How about making quality cars before touting features like ABS, airbags in your cars Hyundai?
heavenlybull is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 08:47   #21763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You dont need the second sign in India. That sign should be carried by police when they are carrying out routine checks. Any restriction ends beyond that point. All restriction seem to apply only in places where there is some sort of enforcement activity.

On a serious note, they seem to have taken this from some European website. These signs are very common in Germany. The grey sign with no other text indicates no speed restriction which causes everyone to lose their minds and accelerate like crazy on the autobahn
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 09:12   #21764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've seen the "restriction ends here" in quite a few places Bangalore. Mysore road and Hosur road comes to my mind immediately.
After the Elevated road towards Hosur road there is one near Ananthnagar entrance.
There are not many but they do exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
On a serious note, they seem to have taken this from some European website. These signs are very common in Germany. The grey sign with no other text indicates no speed restriction which causes everyone to lose their minds and accelerate like crazy on the autobahn
Yes, a similar sign with the same meaning is very common in Germany.
The only Difference is here it is a black solid wide diagonal stripe. But in Germany it is 5 thin diagonal stripes and because it is thin stripes, it looks like Grey

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 16th September 2016 at 09:14.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 12:00   #21765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
This happened on 1st September in Vijayawada and all the passengers in the Safari escaped with injuries of various degrees. Again the damage could have been minimised if they were wearing seatbelts.
IMHO, both vehicles were too fast for an intersection, for that hour and with the amber light blinking. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks