Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2016, 20:36   #21766
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Celerio crashed near nagpur amravati highway. Saw it on fb just now (Know him because of the same online game we pass our time on). He was doing 130 and hit a container trailer (said it was running around 40kmph or so). He's safe though which I'm happy about.

Apparently the airbags did not open which is mind boggling
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image.jpeg  

Swarit19 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 21:18   #21767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
This is why:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg
audioholic is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 23:36   #21768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
Here is idea for you to steal: interface these camera locations with google maps. Warn users.
Waze app, which was an Israel Start up and later acquired by google maps, used to have these features. Essentially, it is a community based real time information gathering about happenings on roads. When I was in Israel, I saw this app was extensively used and everyone would get an alert if there is a cop stationed on the route, a speed gun, an accident etc and suggest alternate routes too, if any.
Old 18th September 2016, 00:20   #21769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Celerio.... He was doing 130...

130 in a Celerio - why!!

The airbags probably did not open because the driver might have braked and the speed at impact was a lot lesser than 130. That is also what the damage suggests.
samaspire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 00:33   #21770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
130 in a Celerio - why!!

The airbags probably did not open because the driver might have braked and the speed at impact was a lot lesser than 130. That is also what the damage suggests.
I agree 130 in a Celerio is not very wise. But the airbags? I dunno.

One of the first things that Maruti sales reps say to discourage people from opting for the airbag version is that those things deploy even if you nudge a biker in traffic (I'm not kidding; I was told this by a sales rep "Traffic il oru bike ne thatti ittalum airbags open cheyyum"). The car in the picture has no front end.

Something for them sales reps to think about?

Quick question: Will the airbags deploy if the car is off? In traffic, if you switch off the car, and then something rear ends you, sending you crashing into the vehicle in front.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 18th September 2016 at 00:37.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 00:57   #21771
BHPian

Quote:
130 in a Celerio - why!!
He says he does 150 as well and quite frequently. Completely unfazed by all of this too. People walk on the edges of 100 story buildings cause it's fun, who am I to interfere with that right? Regardless he is very happy everything will be fixed within 15 days with zero issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Quick question: Will the airbags deploy if the car is off? In traffic, if you switch off the car, and then something rear ends you, sending you crashing into the vehicle in front.
Good question I wonder if they would have cared about such a scenario in a cheap basic hatchback. Regarding the infamous maruti sales reps, I've faced no such issues atleast here in Delhi. They are actually very straightforward, helpful and encouraging regarding the safety aspect of the car.

Posted this in hopes that someone would shed light on the airbags not opening issue and seems audioholic came in clutch with the manual.
Swarit19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 04:39   #21772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Celerio crashed near nagpur amravati highway. Saw it on fb just now (Know him because of the same online game we pass our time on). He was doing 130 and hit a container trailer (said it was running around 40kmph or so). He's safe though which I'm happy about.

Was this version equipped with airbags?
Old 18th September 2016, 07:09   #21773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
130 in a Celerio - why!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I agree 130 in a Celerio is not very wise.
130kph... around 80MPH. Considered, legality aside (the limit is 70), to be a pretty mild speed on British motorways, and one that I have done often. But a British motorway may be a very, very different kind of road to the place where this accident happened. And, even on a British motorway, there may be [relatively] slow traffic. I remember nearly learning the lesson the hard way, not realising the car in front, a rather nice sports car, was only doing about 30 (maybe he had a mechanical problem) until it was almost too late. Awareness is the keyword: I lacked it that day . I really felt that, if I had rear-ended that guy, it would have been even more stupid than driving into a stationary vehicle!
Old 18th September 2016, 09:49   #21774
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This is why:
Attachment 1555467
As correctly mentioned by audioholic, the airbags do not usually deploy when a car rear ends a truck. The front impact sensors are often located in the front of the car near to the sides of the grill(badly marked by me in the pic) and in some cars at the middle at lower height too. As their name suggests, they are front impact sensors, they do not detect impact from above, as in when a car rear ends a truck and slides under it. But going by the pics,the car's right front end has taken enough impact to trigger the airbag. Either the sensors are located further below or non airbag version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Was this version equipped with airbags?
The car does not look like ZXi. However, MS is offering offering airbags as optional to LXi and VXi too.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-download.jpg  

--gKrish-- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 10:26   #21775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
a But going by the pics,the car's right front end has taken enough impact to trigger the airbag. Either the sensors are located further below or non airbag version.

The car does not look like ZXi. However, MS is offering offering airbags as optional to LXi and VXi too.
The airbag sensors are located towards the end of the front aprons. That is the place behind the headlamps for this car or rather the place where you see the two projections on the front bumper design. If this area is the primary point of impact, airbags are deployed immediately since the apron is the structural member that carries the force towards the passenger compartment and crumples. However, in this case the impact is on the front bonnet as seen clearly in the pictures and the rest of the damage is consequential. Hence the forces acting on the other parts are a all dispersed. For example the apron would have experienced a sideways force due to the buckling action from center. Hence, airbags MAY NOT deploy as correctly stated in the manual.

Regarding a bike triggering the airbag, yes it can if the first point of impact is the front apron area. Not if a bike lands on the bonnet after being scooped upwards.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 10:38   #21776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
I think this is a non option variant.

If you look at the front view of the car, you can see what I think is the brake distribution valve. It's the smaller variety that's seen in non ABS cars compared to the bigger ones on ABS cars that should have been here if the car was an option variant.

It would be better if Swarit19 could clarify if it was an option variant or not.
Ramon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 11:48   #21777
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

I am ready to bet that the speed at which the Celerio crashed would certainly be much less than 130. At those speed even the most safe or well built cars crumble very badly as witnessed from various Crash test videos at various speeds.
The driver is certainly bluffing to impress and shouldn't be taken too seriously or even if it's true even 0.01% then I admit I am really 'impressed' by Maruti's build quality as the passenger comes out perfectly safe which is a rare event with any car at that speed.

P.S. Even the windshield or any window didn't crack at such speed is really surprising.

Last edited by carwatcher : 18th September 2016 at 12:00.
carwatcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 11:56   #21778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I am ready to bet that the speed at which the Celerio crashed would certainly be much less than 130. At those speed even the most safe or well built cars crumble very badly as witnesses from various Crash test videos at various speeds.
The driver is certainly bluffing to impress and shouldn't be taken too seriously or even if it's true even 0.01% then I admit I am really 'impressed' by Maruti's build quality as the passenger comes out perfectly safe which is a rare event with any car at that speed.

P.S. Even the windshield or any window didn't crack at such speed is really surprising.
I agree. I think the driver may me doing north of 100 but then he would certainly have panic braked just before the crash, and that along with the fact that the trailer was doing some speed would have brought down the relative speed of impact to a much lower number. Also rear ending a moving vehicle would not lead to a transfer of momentum back to the Celerio in the same way a stationary object would have.
Old 18th September 2016, 12:42   #21779
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Saw this fatal accident at Hassan yesterday, on the way back from Shettihalli Church. It is an old man lying on the road in his pool of blood, motionless :(

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1474181923.375311.jpg

Not sure if it was a two wheeler accident or it was a pedestrian crossing the road. Couldn't make out anything, there was a big crowd. Looked like the accident had happened minutes before before we reached the spot.

When we stopped for fuel little ahead we saw an ambulance heading to the stop, followed by a NHAI vehicle.

Rest in peace, whoever you're.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 18th September 2016 at 12:43.
Old 18th September 2016, 13:10   #21780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
I think this is a non option variant.

If you look at the front view of the car, you can see what I think is the brake distribution valve. It's the smaller variety that's seen in non ABS cars compared to the bigger ones on ABS cars that should have been here if the car was an option variant.

It would be better if Swarit19 could clarify if it was an option variant or not.
Even I tried finding the ABS motor or distribution valve but couldn't find it. This is a Zxi and it should come with driver airbag as standard. The optional comes with ABS and a passenger side airbag extra. Hence either ways there would be an airbag

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks