Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2016, 23:20   #21871
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponbaarathi View Post
where:Vandalur signal (SH 121)
when: Sept 28, 4 - 4.30 pm
How: A Jeppiyar S.R.R engineering college bus rear ended three bikes which were slowing down for the signal. It seems that the bus ran over a bike and dragged it around 25 feet before it comes to halt. The bus driver escaped from the spot. One guy died on spot and six others were injured.
Gosh.... that's horrible, may the deceased RIP. The drivers of the buses belonging to the Jeppiar groups are notorious for rash driving everywhere. I guess this is while taking left towards Chengalpattu while coming from Kelambakkam and you can't be speeding at this spot, considering the signal and the narrow road.
Old 28th September 2016, 23:44   #21872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How: A Jeppiyar S.R.R engineering college bus rear ended three bikes which were slowing down for the signal.
That's really sad. R.I.P. Can't imagine the plight of the bikers...

These days, if am on a bike, and stopped at a signal, I keep on checking the RVM to ensure that some moron is not coming at a fast speed behind me. If it's early in the morning, I move as much to the left as possible.
W.A.G.7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 02:45   #21873
BHPian

Quote:
A Jeppiyar S.R.R engineering college bus rear ended three bikes which were slowing down for the signal.
Few months back some of my college friends were returning back from Haridwar to Dehradun. Two of them were on a Pulser and they slowed down as they were approaching a speed breaker. An Audi A3 came speedily from behind and the pulser was hit by the Audi. The pillion lost his right leg's bone after coming into direct contact with A3's bumper.The impact was so hard that after several operations and complete bed rest of almost 6 months, he has now become able to partially walk on his own.

I have developed a habit to check both the rear-view mirrors of my bike before slowing down on roads and avoid being at center of the road when possible.

Aakarsh
Old 29th September 2016, 06:37   #21874
BHPian

I always tell my colleagues that if you're able to afford a car, and if you have a car sitting at home, use it, rather than use your two wheeler. There's no point losing a limb just to avoid being stuck in traffic in a car.
bharat4ever is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 10:25   #21875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I always tell my colleagues that if you're able to afford a car, and if you have a car sitting at home, use it, rather than use your two wheeler. There's no point losing a limb just to avoid being stuck in traffic in a car.
I agree! But I always wonder, when the traffic gets bad on road, is it worth to take the 4 wheeler on to the road....that too in Bangalore?

Self safety is definitely the priority, but should I be chocking the roads. It’s been almost two months that I have taken my XUV out. My office is around 4 kms from my home. I have been using my two wheeler for my daily commute only to avoid additional burden on road. I have a WagonR too. Am I stupid? May be not, I am just trying by best not to over crowd the already crowded Bangalore roads.

I strictly follow disciplined driving, both on my cars and two wheelers; hopefully I am not on the radar of any road maniacs
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 10:53   #21876
BHPian

I look at it like this. Even though there's B2B traffic, a car is always safer. I understand that bikes can find gaps even in the tiniest places (Which I detest by the way), but all it takes for a serious injury is a careless bus driver, or even a novice car driver who lets go of the clutch when in gear. The car jumps, hits the biker, makes the biker fall. If he's lucky, nothing happens, if he's not, god save him.

There was an incident a while back where a biker got killed just by standing next to a stationary BMTC bus, and another BMTC bus sandwiched him. Horrible I know, but a car would have saved him.

I would like to see our nation get rid of two wheelers in general, or atleast have dedicated lanes with barricades on both sides for them, but until then, I'd prefer that people who have cars use them, or come by public transport.

Last edited by bharat4ever : 29th September 2016 at 10:54.
bharat4ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 11:29   #21877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I always tell my colleagues that if you're able to afford a car, and if you have a car sitting at home, use it, rather than use your two wheeler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Self safety is definitely the priority, but should I be chocking the roads.
There's actually a middle path - car pooling. Of course it means we have to sacrifice our ability to commute to work at our wish and need alone, but for someone who's ready to let go of the safety offered by a car over a two-wheeler, this would be nothing.

I'd bought a two-wheeler just for office commute. My colleagues found out that I take the same amount of time to reach office as with a car - maybe I ride the bike like I drive a car - not squeezing into gaps, waiting patiently behind others at signals and not snaking my way to the front of the queue, etc. A couple of months later, I sold the bike off when I couldn't get over that feeling of being too dangerous to ignore and a couple of close shaves involving some morons on two-wheelers that cut me off at speed.

Then I went back to car-pooling. Fortunately for me, I was able to make it work in terms of timings and the area, so I can proudly say that the middle path does work, making office commute safer, more economical and greener.
silversteed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 11:59   #21878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Now, have a question - Now, is it possible to replace the rear bumper under insurance again now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I believe there is no cap on the number of claims you can make within a year. So yes, he can make another claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Generally there is with many policies, if not all. Its generally around 3 claims in a year IIRC. Should be mentioned in the policy document
Claim 3 times a year and the insurer will not renew the policy. Your friend will have to take policy from another company and yes NCB is already gone if one claim is made. I believe claiming for such minor damage will be an expensive deal when we take compulsory deduction, depriciation and other charges in consideration.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 16:31   #21879
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi A3 skewered on a road side fence on the Mumbai-Pune expressway yesterday.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-audia3crash1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-audia3crash3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-audia3crash2.jpg

Quote:
The white colored Audi A3, MH 12 MF 1003 was seen with a metal sheet going in from its front windscreen and emerging from the rear glass. It literally got skewered on a fence at the side of a road and while details are awaited, it is hoped that all the occupants are safe. The accident occurred when the driver lost control during an overtaking manoeuvre. Little did the driver know that there was a protruding metal on the side of the highway.

Rush Lane
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 17:05   #21880
Senior - BHPian

ouch that pic hurts! driver mistakes and what not aside, is something like that supposed to be protruding on a road?
Old 29th September 2016, 17:42   #21881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
ouch that pic hurts! driver mistakes and what not aside, is something like that supposed to be protruding on a road?
Doesn't look like the barrier is protruding.
Seems the car took out the first piller [see the end of the barrier, there are holes suggesting it is fitted to a supporting pole] and stopped at the second pole
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 17:45   #21882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
In some ways, one of the most horrible crash pics I have ever seen.

I am the biggest downer on people who drive straight into things, but in this case, the road engineers/officials should be punished severely.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 18:04   #21883
Distinguished - BHPian

And how can we forget this one:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...undai-i20.html
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 18:09   #21884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Seems the car took out the first piller [see the end of the barrier, there are holes suggesting it is fitted to a supporting pole] and stopped at the second pole
Infact the pillar can be seen on the ground itself in the same pic.

EDIT- I think the pillar had fallen/been dismantled before itself because the places where the nut-bolts are fixed have not sheared off and neither has it bent. Probably that's the reason why it was found to be protruding.

Last edited by centaur : 29th September 2016 at 18:20.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 18:23   #21885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Seems the car took out the first piller
Barriers are supposed to start with an inclined section that slope upward. Seems like the A6 happened to hit an already broken section of the barrier from some prior incident.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed