Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 12:10   #21961
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Ghastly accident and horrific pictures. I feel it could be a classic example of the driver not realizing the power/limitations (in this case, Limitations) of the new car which he is not used to enough. Or the Truck rammed insanely on to the car, which is unlikely the case here.
That one is a ghastly accident! May the souls of the departed RIP and give strength to their near and dear ones to cope up with the loss.

The moment I noticed a neatly marked road and the fact that this was a Dajjiworld article & Location as Karkala, I was more than sure this would be the Padubidre-Belman-Nitte-Karkala stretch.

Good roads are a boon but my biggest scare is that these good roads are taking too many lives out with these accidents!

Driven on the same road couple of times now and I can easily say that it is one of the best single carriageways I have come across in the recent past - Well done, Super good surface, Long straights and usual curves (few of them sharp) and above all, very well marked road with a lot of signage/reflectors, adequate shoulder on every stretch of this road and more around the apex of curves and should I say, at par with international standards.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-c360_20151025111852749.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-c360_20151025111914781.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-c360_20151025112206691.jpg
When I drove on this last year in October, it didn't have a single speed breaker and when I did this last may, there were quite a few rumblers nearing villages and accident prone spots.

No amount of safety elements as part of the design of these roads is going to help reduce accidents in our country unless all the drivers are educated about following safe & defensive driving techniques.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th October 2016 at 12:18.
paragsachania is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 12:13   #21962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've taken the below image from the quoted article, because what confuses me is the bumper of the truck.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rjp_051016_nitteaccident7.jpg

The black bumper just below the headlamp has significant damage on the right side of the truck (on the left of the picture), but that's because its either plastic or sheet metal. However, below that is a metal bar that appears undamaged - you can see the 4" long reflective silver tape on both the left and right side of the bumper.

The thing that confuses me here is: How did this bumper get away without significant damage? It is at the correct height to safely impact cars (i.e. it is a frontal under-run protection bar) and runs the full width of the truck.

My only suspicion/fear is that the bumper was strong enough that it just picked up scratches and got slightly pushed down on the right side, yet ripped through the car, because it didn't meet an equivalently strong structure within the car - so it ended up going like a knife through butter. Going by the damage to the Nano, there isn't any noteworthy frontal damage, so the Nano wasn't hitting head on, but was at an angle with the impact point on the front right fender. Small overlap crash tests have shown how hard it is to reinforce vehicles adequately since there's very little frontal crash structure that gets engaged in such a crash.

The truck actually looks quite safe to ply on the road - apart from the frontal under-run bar I've mentioned, it also has side under-run protection. I've often been critical of the absence of crash safety elements on trucks on our roads - this truck is what others trucks should aspire to be!

Last edited by arunphilip : 12th October 2016 at 12:18.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 17:00   #21963
Team-BHP Support

Did that truck hit something else too? The car couldn't have inflicted the damage around the windscreen & immediately below (front right), isn't that too high up?

The windshield looks bashed in, not out, so it doesn't look like an 'un-belted truck driver slamming into it' scenario.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th October 2016 at 17:03.
Old 12th October 2016, 17:06   #21964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The truck actually looks quite safe to ply on the road - apart from the frontal under-run bar I've mentioned, it also has side under-run protection. I've often been critical of the absence of crash safety elements on trucks on our roads - this truck is what others trucks should aspire to be!
Extremely safe - it looks like a reasonably new Bharat Benz. So built with Merc technology though not the Merc marque and maybe far less frills than a Merc would have. Certainly has all the legally mandated protections available such as proper underrun protection that's integral to the frame instead of an iron rod that is welded onto an old Tata truck.

As for the windshield damage it could be some metal part from the nano coming loose and flying up to impact on the windshield? It was crushed nearly in half so wheels, or fender or something might have got thrust up in the impact and hit the windshield.

Last edited by hserus : 12th October 2016 at 17:13.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 17:26   #21965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well said. Also as mentioned in one of the above posts, together both the truck and road are on par with International standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Did that truck hit something else too? The car couldn't have inflicted the damage around the windscreen & immediately below (front right), isn't that too high up?
Considering the light weight of the Nano, could it be that the rear of the car tossed up and hit the wind shield, brushed up the driver door causing a dent on it and then back bang on the road.

It looks like an overtaking attempt terribly gone wrong by miscalculating the time to get back on the left lane.

If so, the lesson learnt again, if you are not 100℅ sure that you can overtake on a single carriage way, ABORT.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 12th October 2016 at 17:47.
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 17:53   #21966
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

As for the windshield damage it could be some metal part from the nano coming loose and flying up to impact on the windshield?.....
Possibly.

Quote:
Considering the light weight of the Nano, could it be that the rear of the car tossed up and hit the wind shield.......
This (rather horrifying) possibility crossed my mind a while after my initial post.
Old 12th October 2016, 17:59   #21967
BHPian

Quote:
It looks like an overtaking attempt terribly gone wrong by miscalculating the time to get back on the left lane.

If so, the lesson learnt again, if you are not 100℅ sure that you can overtake on a single carriage way, ABORT.
Probably, because the driver was a Learner. You can see the L sticker in the back wind-shield.

Many of these points will look a no-brainer on the hind-sight. But ground reality, many times we take a judgement call and it can horribly go wrong, as in this case.

We'll have to keep repeating the mantra "drive safe", "drive sensibly", such that it becomes a part of our "muscle-memory" and we do it instinctively.

Otherwise, no amount of reading or attending seminars will help.

Sad accident - Feel sorry for the poor family. May God help them tide over this huge loss.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 18:08   #21968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Possibly.

This (rather horrifying) possibility crossed my mind a while after my initial post.
Very likely, see this video.

Watch at 24 s.

The car driver might have been too late in an overtaking maneuver and the truck might have hit on the front right while he was cutting back to the left lane. The crack on the windshield is inward and so are the minor dents just below it suggesting that something has hit from outside and not the driver's head banging on it.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 12th October 2016 at 18:12.
--gKrish-- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 19:26   #21969
BHPian

Statistics revel than an average Bengalurean will most likely meet with an accident on Wednesday. This is as per an article in TOI. Take a look

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/54806420.cms
Old 12th October 2016, 19:31   #21970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
The car driver might have been too late in an overtaking maneuver and the truck might have hit on the front right while he was cutting back to the left lane.
It's the small overlap that got the Nano. Normally tests are done for a 40% overlap collision but recently tests have started for 10-25% overlaps in which many of the bigger brands have even failed.

Attached video is of a Chevrolet Beat undergoing the same test for a LHD model.

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 21:03   #21971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going by the damage to the Nano, there isn't any noteworthy frontal damage, so the Nano wasn't hitting head on, but was at an angle with the impact point on the front right fender.
I wonder if it would have made any difference if the drIver hit the truck head on, instead of the slightly side-on angle. Maybe there would have been more resistance from the front of the Nano.

I just drove on this road for the first time a few days back and I was thinking that an inexperienced driver + that high speed road was a recipe for disaster.
Old 12th October 2016, 23:21   #21972
Senior - BHPian

Since my last post got deleted, I'm attaching the videos which are relevant to the thread, i.e., accidents in India.

The first two accidents could have been avoided has he been more defensive with his driving technique.

Last edited by ecenandu : 12th October 2016 at 23:32.
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 12:45   #21973
BHPian

I came across a similar accident last Tuesday while travelling from Hunsur to Mysore. A cow had suddenly jumped out of a median, with heavy vegetation. The Etios was too late to change the course and had hit the cow resulting in its death. The car had frontal damages to its wind screen and bonnet. Its very dangerous some times to travel near the median!

Sometimes, you would have these giants waking in your way when you are in their territory. Specially night time travel would be quite dangerous.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20161011_122117.jpg  

LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 13:12   #21974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Sometimes, you would have these giants waking in your way when you are in their territory. Specially night time travel would be quite dangerous.
OT but that is one .
Dashboard is adorned by Ganpati idol & Gajraj in real on the road.

Night time indeed can be dangerous when animals get either frightened or angry due to headlights or some idiots even go to the extent of honking, piercing the serenity of forest areas.

Must again reintereate that, that photo is awesome.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 14:46   #21975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
It's the small overlap that got the Nano.
Wrong. The Small overlap frontal test is specific to IIHS (introduced in 2012) and not a part of Global NCAP (which is heavily based on Euro NCAP) who tested the Nano. Compare the below images of the tests and you can find that the Nano is tested @ 40% overlap and the Spark @ 25% overlap.

Name:  Offset Crash Nano.png
Views: 4917
Size:  351.5 KB

Name:  Offset Crash Spark.png
Views: 5350
Size:  318.3 KB

More information regarding the tests are given here.
EuroNCAP
IIHS
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed