Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2016, 16:06   #22036
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Yet another accident in Buldana district in Maharashtra.

http://abpmajha.abplive.in/maharasht...buldana-302001

Dad and daugher were on their bike and someone hit them so hard that the father died on the spot. Little girl was sitting beside her dad's dead body whole night (seems that the road doesn't have much traffic at night).

I think whoever had hit them, should at least help the victims! Poor girl must be in trauma! Moreover, the news states that the father was blessed with a baby boy and they were on their way to visit the hospital.

Shocking! Faith in humanity lost!
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 16:32   #22037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Yet another accident in Buldana district in Maharashtra.

http://abpmajha.abplive.in/maharasht...buldana-302001

Dad and daugher were on their bike and someone hit them so hard that the father died on the spot. Little girl was sitting beside her dad's dead body whole night (seems that the road doesn't have much traffic at night).

I think whoever had hit them, should at least help the victims! Poor girl must be in trauma! Moreover, the news states that the father was blessed with a baby boy and they were on their way to visit the hospital.

Shocking! Faith in humanity lost!
Earlier, kids were treated a little better if involved in a crash. These days, no one is bothered about crash victims (save for the moronic pics they take). However, in this case (being night and less travelled road), given the cases of highway robbery and dacoity we have come across, people would not like to take a chance I guess :(
Viv3k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 17:24   #22038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Actually the deceased was in passenger seat. The driver was not hurt.
Now that makes sense.
Passenger side is a mess.
Even if the air bags deployed, they can not prevent the inevitable, at very high speeds.
Sad way to check out of the world indeed.
Old 19th October 2016, 15:41   #22039
BHPian

A very sad story as a life is lost on the Kari Speedway.
Parents sue helmet manufacturer MT helmets. Scary especially considering I just bought a 5 star Sharp rated lid from them.

https://www.rushlane.com/rider-dies-...medium=twitter
Old 19th October 2016, 15:59   #22040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Parents sue helmet manufacturer MT helmets. Scary especially considering I just bought a 5 star Sharp rated lid from them.
Helmets are designed to prevent skull fracture, cuts. It can reduce concussions but cannot prevent it.
There is an element of risk involved in sporting activities. Nobody can be 100% safe.
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 17:09   #22041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
A very sad story as a life is lost on the Kari Speedway.
The article says the helmet cracked on impact. I think that is how it is supposed to be because only then does the skull not get impacted. The energy which could injure the skull, is spent on cracking the helmet and that's what should happen if I am not mistaken. If the helmet is rigid and does not crack to
dissipate the energy of the crash, it will impact the skull. I could be wrong but this is my understanding
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 17:43   #22042
Senior - BHPian

^^ Correct. That's why in industries a helmet has to be scrapped and not to be reused whenever it gets hit. It is supposed to have taken the energy of impact and dissipated. In the process it loses it's integrity, saving life.
Old 20th October 2016, 08:29   #22043
BHPian

The discussion on the helmets can be taken forward in the dedicated thread, lets keep this thread clean

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...elmet-145.html
Roomy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 15:17   #22044
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Early morning accident on outer ring road.
Today morning on the way to office from home, saw lot of oil spill on the road. This was near the mahadevapura bridge, near MORE, Outer Ring Road. Police were trying to put some variant of sawdust on the road to control the risk of slipping. Still I saw 2 bikers fall right in front of my eyes. My wife who came the same way little later also saw someone fall.
Just now found out the reason for this. Please see the pictures.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20161020_151139.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20161020_151141.jpg
sathya.bhat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 15:29   #22045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
This was near the mahadevapura bridge, near MORE, Outer Ring Road.
Bangalore and the usual accidents caused due to badly designed/placed medians - More so with the ORR between KR Puram till Silkboard.

Even as a daily driver who is aware of the placement of these medians, one needs to be super cautious. There are just too many cases I have noticed where cars have climbed the median even inside the city only because the medians were wrongly placed and they never had any reflectors or warning signage.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 16:34   #22046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Bangalore and the usual accidents caused due to badly designed/placed medians
You said it! But not just in the Bangalore. I had a pretty scary experience couple of years back. This was in the 4-lane stretch between kolar and bangalore. I was returning back to bangalore, it was late in the night and there was hardly any vehicles on the road. I was going in a speed of about 75-85 kmph. Suddenly I see something on the road and realize that it was one of the big stones of the median, which was pushed out and jutting on the road, probably done by some people who wanted easy way to cross across on a two-wheeler. I was driving an Alto and I knew that applying sudden brake will most likely make it skid. I just made a fervent prayer, held the steering tight and just went over that stone. Fortunately, I came out of that dicey situation with nothing other than a bad scare. Nothing happened to the tyre, but the rim was bent a bit and after I came back to Bangalore, I replaced the rim.

Lesson learnt: Never drive on the extreme right, as these kind of broken medians are quite common also one may come across some suicidal two-wheeler just lurking around waiting to dash across!
haria is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 18:37   #22047
BHPian

Quote:
Today morning on the way to office from home, saw lot of oil spill on the road. This was near the mahadevapura bridge, near MORE, Outer Ring Road.
Cops were removing this tanker using a big crane at around 5:30 pm. They completely stopped the traffic going from kr pura towards marathahalli. Utter chaos, avoid this stretch if you can.
Old 24th October 2016, 08:43   #22048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BENGALURU: Two medical college students who were returning from a party in Bengaluru were killed on the spot after the car they were travelling in met with an accident on Saturday night. The incident occurred near the outskirts of Nelamangala, when the speeding car lost control, jumped off the median and collided with a truck, en route to Tumakuru, where they were studying.

The deceased have been identified as Mohammed Ashiq (21), a third-year dental student of Sri Siddhartha Medical College in Tumakuru, and Linu Maria Joy (21), an MBBS student of the same college. Ashiq was from Kozhikode, while Linu hailed from Hyderabad.

The accident took place around 12.15 am when the car was heading towards Tumakuru from Bengaluru. Ashiq was allegedly overspeeding and lost control while attempting to negotiate a curve. He then rammed the car into the median, which flipped over to the other side of the road and collided with a truck.

An ambulance driver who witnessed the accident alerted the police and said the car was speeding before losing control. With the help of passers-by, police shifted them to the hospital where they were declared brought dead. The bodies were sent for post mortem examination to Nelamangala distict hospital.

“We are awaiting the post mortem reports to ascertain whether the driver was drunk or had consumed any banned substance. Preliminary investigations reveal that the duo had gone to attend a party in Bengaluru and were returning to Tumakuru,” police said.

The Nelamangala rural police have filed a case and investigations are underway.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...u-1531047.html

Any thoughts on which car this is?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 08:50   #22049
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Swift/Dzire for Me, the headlight shape is the proof of it.

Don't know why these kind of youths always drive beyond limit. If one of them had survived, he would have learnt the lesson the hard way for sure.
I would be very scared to drive the poorly built cars like these on Highways. Thankfully I don't have one.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 08:51   #22050
BHPian

Quote:
Today morning on the way to office from home, saw lot of oil spill on the road. This was near the mahadevapura bridge, near MORE, Outer Ring Road. Police were trying to put some variant of sawdust on the road to control the risk of slipping. Still I saw 2 bikers fall right in front of my eyes. My wife who came the same way little later also saw someone fall.
Just now found out the reason for this. Please see the pictures.
Few years back, I had discussed this wrong alignment of flyovers on ORR with a diagram in this forum. When these flyovers between hebbal and silkboard were being constructed in 2011, i was worried about such accidents due to misalignment of flyovers. But unfortunately, that is exactly what is happening since the flyovers got opened. Loaded lorries climbing on the edge of the flyover has become way too common on ORR. I saw one in July near Manyata.
n_naik is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed