Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2016, 08:53   #22051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Any thoughts on which car this is?
The seat cover has 'Swift' marked on it.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 09:21   #22052
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Looks like Swift/Dzire for Me, the headlight shape is the proof of it.

I would be very scared to drive the poorly built cars like these on Highways. Thankfully I don't have one.
Yes it's a swift (hatch back). Can you elaborate your second statement of poorly built cars in this accident's context ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
The seat cover has 'Swift' marked on it.
Yes, You have got good pair of eyes. I am not able to read what is on them.

The vehicle seems to be registered with a different persons name and from a different place than the person involved and his native. So, I guess it is a borrowed car and may not have a good control with the car and also a natural instinct of rash driving of someone else's car.
Old 24th October 2016, 10:01   #22053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any thoughts on which car this is?
Quote:
Looks like Swift/Dzire for Me, the headlight shape is the proof of it.
The car is mangled beyond recognition. Every part of the body panel is twisted out of shape, hence it is difficult to identify, which car it is. Initially I thought it to be Ecosport, but then I saw the other picture in the article (as can be seen below) and I have to agree with CarguyNish, it looks more like Swift. The tail lamps at least resemble more to that of Swift than Dezire. Also there is no separate boot.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident2.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 10:18   #22054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The car is mangled beyond recognition. Every part of the body panel is twisted out of shape, hence it is difficult to identify, which car it is. Initially I thought it to be Ecosport, but then I saw the other picture in the article (as can be seen below) and I have to agree with CarguyNish, it looks more like Swift. The tail lamps at least resemble more to that of Swift than Dezire. Also there is no separate boot.

Attachment 1570058
Its a swift VDI 2015 model, as per Kerala MVD site, hope the occupants survived.
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 10:26   #22055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
hope the occupants survived.
Either you haven't read the report, or you are extremely optimistic to hope that way seeing the state of the car, or did you mean to say , you "wished".
Old 24th October 2016, 10:46   #22056
BHPian

Quote:
Either you haven't read the report, or you are extremely optimistic to hope that way seeing the state of the car, or did you mean to say , you "wished".
Hope and wish are not very different, read the report now :(
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 11:34   #22057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate your second statement of poorly built cars in this accident's context ?
What I was saying is that the Swift isn't structurally strong compared to its segment. I have seen many Swifts involved in accident including a friend of mine who died on the spot. This was on the outskirts of the city.

This happened in August 2011,

My friend had accident when the Truck from opposite side was overtaking and straight away rammed into his car. His Mistake was Nil, but the Truck went out of control & it couldn't brake in time & couldn't get back to lane quickly. I noticed this after 15 minutes as I was behind him by a good 5 kms. Post Accident, I could see consider amount of vehicles piling up. I was thinking what could be the reason, but when as I inched closer, I was shocked to see my friend in that state. I couldn't control my emotion & tried my best to save him. By the time I had reached the spot, Ambulance was already called by people there & it came 5 minutes after I reached there. They immediately said "Dead". I called his father & informed the same.

He had a Swift ZDI, it comes with Airbags & ABS, he always wears Seatbelt & I hope he was wearing one here too. Seatbelt had done their job, but when it comes to head-on collision, stronger the car, lower the impact.

His car was a total loss, similar to the one above. Comparing Swift with other cars, this car feels very average built & also doesn't feel safe.

I feel cars should be structurally stronger rather then being more Efficient. Because, Stronger the car, lesser the injuries to passenger's & lower impact.
CarguyNish is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 15:49   #22058
BHPian

The Swift actually carries a 5 star NCAP rating globally, but this is applicable only to the export models. The models in India are not made to the same standard in order to maintain the price point and profit at the same time. Having said that in accidents like the one above I don't think the build would have helped much. It is clearly a case of irresponsible driving.
shaktisarangi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 20:53   #22059
BHPian

It was a relaxed drive with family, on that day. I had set the cruise control to 80 kmph, not even a drop of rain or fog, around 830 pm, just an hour or so to reach Bangalore, road having a gradual incline.

Suddenly out of the blue, there was some smoke on the road, nothing threatening, so my reactions was to switch the cruise off, lightly applying the brakes. Switched off the high beam as it aided better vision. Next second the smoke turns so black that i was blinded, so applied a bit more pressure on the brakes.

There was a mild curve to the right which i did negotiate and then i see a huge truck which was crawling at around 20 kmph, with no rear lights, reflective sticker, emitting dark smoke from behind (usually trucks have exhausts on to the right side). My next reaction; slammed brakes, tyres screeching, tried to steer the car onto the central road divider, then it was a big thud hitting both the truck and the divider on the right side.

With car loosing all electricals and stalled, the truck ahead still crawling ahead and driving off with black smoke as if nothing has happened, this is it, vehicle surveyed and recommended for total loss.

I just want to say to all from my experience, whenever there is smoke on the road, just remember my episode. For a second I did not relate the smoke to be from a truck, as I have never seen such dense, blinding smoke in my driving experience over 2,00,000 Kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2016 at 16:41. Reason: Correcting some spacing, punctuation & adding paragraph breaks. Thanks for sharing
manipal is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 21:22   #22060
BHPian

An accident between a Safari Storme and Isuzu DMax, Safari belonged to an Odia Actor (son of a Veteran Odia actor). No information on exactly how the accident happened.
3 guys injured in the accident.
Odia actor's son has grave head injury but is out of danger. He was in the rear seat. Driver and co driver have serious injuries.
Preliminary assumption : Overtaking went horribly wrong, Isuzu driven at high speeds
from various regional news channels : Overtaking went wrong due to presence of animals (cow/bull/buffalo) on road.

Both vehicles found at roadside ditch after accident.

Pics from Whats-app:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161025wa0014.jpg
this is the only pic of Safari
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161025wa0015.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161025wa0016.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161025wa0022.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161025wa0023.jpg

Last edited by Sudeep_Kimster : 25th October 2016 at 21:29. Reason: more info
Sudeep_Kimster is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 23:19   #22061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
I just want to say to all from my experience, whenever there is smoke on the road, just remember my episode.
I can very well relate this to an experience of mine. Pretty much the same situations. Between Krishnagiri and Hosur at night, there was a truck on an upward incline with heavy smoke on a straight road. I cross the smoke to find another truck stopped on the fast lane, and was lucky to squeeze through the gap between 2 trucks !!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th October 2016 at 13:33. Reason: Your post contained several grammatical errors. Please proof-read before posting, and avoid "...excessive...dots". Thanks.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 23:36   #22062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was a relaxed drive with family,on that day...
What an unfortunate accident!

This looks bad. Hope your family is fine. Looks like the front co passenger might have some injuries.
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 04:26   #22063
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know why these kind of youths always drive beyond limit.

I would be very scared to drive the poorly built cars like these on Highways. Thankfully I don't have one.
Its getting to ne a really scary statistic about these 19-25-ish aged drivers really losing it on the roads these days. It's a glaring reality about this age group of drivers. I don't know if it's just me but I think its pretty obvious that these youngsters are really missing something in their perception of driving.

The only statistics I imagine to be common about them is that they are mostly students living off of their parents ample money and don't currently have to earn for themselves hence dodging most of the wordly tensions. Also, what with most of education systems have all these people living off the "cloud" on the internet for education and other needs, I hope these lads don't literally leave there heads up there all the time, in the clouds, during driving. Sure seems like it. Clouds can severly obscure your sense of judgement and your sight.

As for your further take on "poorly built cars", I really don't see how that has anything to do with the results of this particular accident.

Allow me to let you on a secret.

In most of the accident scenarios in which we suspect the reason to be a "poorly built car" for fatalities, actually there is another stronger reason which is mostly more responsible for it. It's called a "poorly built driver". It means a driver who is technically a driver, but the way in which he learnt his driving, from whom he learnt his driving, how seriously he took the lessons, how successfully he interpreted the judgements, etc, were not up to the mark and hence led to him to becoming a "poorly built driver" as you can call it.

Agreed, poorly built cars are a reality, and all accident victims are not always the primary cause for the accident, but not all deaths result from the so called "poorly built cars". There are numerous other reasons as to why a death occured.
pixantz is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 09:18   #22064
BHPian

Quote:
It was a relaxed drive with family,on that day, I had set the cruise control to 80kmph,not even a drop of rain or fog,
so applied a bit more pressure on the brakes, there was a mild curve to the right which i did negotiate and then

huge truck which was crawling at around 20kmph, with no rear lights,

My next reaction, slammed brakes, tyres screeching,tried to steer the car onto the central road divider, then it was a big thud hitting both the truck and the divider on the right side.
Something didn't add up for me here. You said you were at 80KMPH, then applied brakes and then slammed them. Lets says you cam down to 60 [in fact, with tyres screeching etc., it should be a lot less] and the truck crawling at 20.
So, your relative speed should be around 40. Looks like there are no under run bars for the truck and you hit it at wherever you can contact.
But, the damage to the bonnet, engine, cabin and pillars doesn't look like a 40KMPH hit. The entire dash board is sitting in the passenger seat.
For that to happen at 40KM, the car should be made of cardboard. And XUV is a strong and heavy vehicle. Isn't it?
FORTified is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 09:33   #22065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
As for your further take on "poorly built cars", I really don't see how that has anything to do with the results of this particular accident.

Allow me to let you on a secret.

In most of the accident scenarios in which we suspect the reason to be a "poorly built car" for fatalities, actually there is another stronger reason which is mostly more responsible for it. It's called a "poorly built driver". It means a driver who is technically a driver, but the way in which he learnt his driving, from whom he learnt his driving, how seriously he took the lessons, how successfully he interpreted the judgements, etc, were not up to the mark and hence led to him to becoming a "poorly built driver" as you can call it.

Agreed, poorly built cars are a reality, and all accident victims are not always the primary cause for the accident, but not all deaths result from the so called "poorly built cars". There are numerous other reasons as to why a death occured.
Even if the car were to be built sturdy, I am pretty sure these lads would have driven rashly. More than the machine I would blame the mind for such kind of mishaps. The Indian mentality hinges on just one factor MILEAGE. Technically speaking to achieve a good fuel economy, basically the vehicle mass should be on the lighter side. There comes the compromise on the structural integrity of the car. To compound troubles further, the engines are designed keeping in mind the power factor.
Now aren't these factors namely lighter body and powerful engine a perfect recipe for disaster ?
Next comes the road condition. There is no control over the way how human beings drive /ride on such roads like coming in the wrong direction. What can one say if animals are spotted on the roads?
People drive on such roads as though it is an expressway. To sum things up, I would say there is a limit for everything. Just like we are all ready to blame the build quality of cars, poor road conditions, why dont we all stand united to point the finger on the poor driving quality of the driver as the major factor for all accidents.

Most Viewed