Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2016, 18:37   #22171
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
There's a perilous section on the BNG-HYD highway just after crossing Ananthapur where you meet a mammoth of a spread breaker!!
=======
Observed this on NH67 as well near Hampi. Wonder who came up with the idea of this. Sure shot way to hell at night!
The Ananthapur speed breaker is right after you come down a flyover. Right? Whoever planned it there is a pure genius. Must be running a Tyres and axels business in the vicinity.
The humps on Humpi road are more than humps
They are built in such a way that even lorries may have under belly hits

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th February 2019 at 08:46. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 7th November 2016, 14:13   #22172
Senior - BHPian

Was passing by today when I spotted this accident at Vadakkumthala (between Karunagappalli & Chavara - Kollam, Kerala). Looked like it happened only a little while ago - don't have details. Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478508054.353335.jpg
Old 8th November 2016, 07:55   #22173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Responsible driving, it simply doesn't come at a young age (for most). Whenever I say that people will argue that even the government doesn't seem to mind or even the government has set the adult age as 18
Yet, most of the western world fixes minimum age for driving between 16 and 18... going down as low as 14 in Canada and some US states. Despite that, these countries seem to be able to hold road accidents and fatalities down.

In all these countries, the "adult age" is indeed around 18 - age when you are able to vote, get married or enter into binding contracts. Seems to me that adulthood and ability to drive are not related, at least in the opinion of policymakers in these countries.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 22:53   #22174
Senior - BHPian

Bad driving or bad pedestrian.
Old 9th November 2016, 00:23   #22175
Senior - BHPian

That's because traffic rules/safety on road is built in to their education system. My nephews ever since they were small kids would raise a storm if anyone sitting in the car would even delay to buckle up. I have observed them on several occasions pointing out to their parents for driving past the posted speed limits. Not just them but their friends, neighbourhood kids were/are vey much on their toes when it comes to traffic rules and road safety. A huge demonstration of this can be had in front of any school every morning & afternoon where kids volunteer for safety patrol and manage traffic (at least in TX) in the drop and pick up zones around their schools and heavens save any parent that steps out of line.

Unless the rules and the importance of following them are ingrained in to the younger generation's psyche especially when they are of an impressionable age, this problem will exponentially multiply and devour many more victims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Yet, most of the western world fixes minimum age for driving between 16 and 18... going down as low as 14 in Canada and some US states. Despite that, these countries seem to be able to hold road accidents and fatalities down.
khoj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 03:28   #22176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That's because traffic rules/safety on road is built in to their education system. ....

Unless the rules and the importance of following them are ingrained in to the younger generation's psyche especially when they are of an impressionable age, this problem will exponentially multiply and devour many more victims.
Absolutely well said

Wonder when will our education system/ministry realize this simple common sense to incorporate traffic and road safety/rules and mould young minds in the budding stage. Our next generation will be a changed (for the better) lot.
Old 9th November 2016, 07:34   #22177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That's because traffic rules/safety on road is built in to their education system. [...]
Precisely. And in my view, the "education system" is not just their schooling, but also at home and environment; by observation of the conducts of their own parents.

Here is how I think about it. Every time a positive message like, "do not break the red light" is told to a child, a counter goes +1. Every time the child sees someone breaking a red light, the same counter goes -1. It is the duty of us parents to ensure that the counter stays in the positive zone - both by oral messages and own conduct.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 10:28   #22178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

ouch! Bad pedestrian mostly. Video not conclusive enough to blame the driver.

Reminds me of that old arcade game. Jumping frog was it?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen5.jpg  

Old 9th November 2016, 10:37   #22179
BHPian

Quote:
Car is definitely at a very high rate of speed permissible for a city and overtaking from the left. Pedestrians are crossing at a place where there are no markings, and the road is extremely wide. It's a recipe for disaster.

The driver does come around and stop towards the end of this video. The complete video gives a clearer picture.

Mods please feel free to remove video if needed.

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 11:02   #22180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Bad pedestrian. One needs a huge load of luck to cross EIGHT lanes (considering both directions) without getting hit. Towards the end, it seems both the pedestrians and the car moved in the same direction to avoid each other.
kiku007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 12:14   #22181
Senior - BHPian

And the lady did not survive:-

Quote:
In a scary incident of rash driving in Ahmedabad on Tuesday, two women crossing the busy highway road were knocked down by a speeding car. The CCTV video showed the 63 -year-old woman and her granddaughter hit by the car, and flat on the floor.
The two were on their way to a shopping mall when the accident took place. The grandmother was declared dead on way to hospital and her granddaughter suffered major injuries and was taken to a near by hospital.
Crossing in that way was suicidal. The younger lady got up and ran to her grand mother in-spite of the severe injuries she may have had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Car is definitely at a very high rate of speed permissible for a city and overtaking from the left.
Yes, car is definitely at higher speeds comparatively, but is there a restriction in overtaking from left on divided lanes ?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 9th November 2016 at 12:19.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 14:24   #22182
BHPian

Quote:

While the loss of life is very sad, i think it is the pedestrian's fault for trying to cross the road at a dangerous point. If one sees the full video below (see from 2 mins mark when they are at the median, they tried to cross at a time when possibly they should not have, assuming they saw the incoming line of cars. I personally feel the red car had no visibility of them crossing, plus he was sandwiched between two vehicles. By the time he noticed them he had nowhere to go but straight. It is to his credit that he stopped and drove back to the scene when he could have easily fled.

That said, if this is such a wide multi-laned road, shouldn't there be a foot overbridge for pedestrians? I expect there will be cars driving pretty fast on this stretch as it looks well paved and spacious.

Last edited by DriverR : 9th November 2016 at 14:27. Reason: Added information
DriverR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 14:48   #22183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
shouldn't there be a foot overbridge for pedestrians?
In our country that is only waking up from slumber when it comes to loss of human lives due to accidents, this is Wishful thinking.

Tenders for construction of speedbreakers on a super fast highway take precedence over plugging the gaps in the median or providing access to pedestrians to both sides of the road via foot overbridge!

Despite the recent ruling by the Honorable Supreme Court on speedbreakers, I have witnessed new ones coming up!

For Pedestrian overbridges to be constructed and functional, it takes an accident that takes away lives hapless victims followed by a week of sensational journalism and CSR activities by holding placards and Dharnas.

Unless we have such sacrifices, we wont see such results that easily! That's the sad reality.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 14:56   #22184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
That said, if this is such a wide multi-laned road, shouldn't there be a foot overbridge for pedestrians?]
A foot over bridge for pedestrians. Hmm that sounds nice!

Well, my college is on OMR Chennai and I go through this road every other day. Mind you, it has a big board at the beginning of the road which says 'IT EXPRESSWAY'. It has a number of these foot over bridges you're talking about. But guess what, engineering graduates still prefer to jump across the road! Mind you, they know the basic equation of momentum!

Another classic example is our cars! They all have seatbelts standard! But only a few choose to use it. I guess you got my point.

What we really need, is a change in our mindset and attitude. It all starts from within!
Note: No offence meant in any way.

Last edited by Turbohead : 9th November 2016 at 15:19. Reason: Complete restructuring
Turbohead is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 17:26   #22185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pedestrian.

The place where this accident took place has been frequented by me. Its a downright dangerous place to cross the road like this, absolutely dangerous.
Car driver could not have done anything to prevent this, and in this case I wont blame car's speed. On SG highway, one must not expect vehicular traffic moving at slow speeds.

Also, note that when the pedestrians ventured out to cross the road, Wagon R itself was not very far. It was a wrong move to step out when a car is so near, and at the cost of sounding a bit rude considering what has been the outcome, the decision to cross the road was illogical.

The road where this accident took place observes very high traffic density and traffic is generally moving at high speed. Spending 2 minutes around that road is enough to drive home the dangers of cross the road at wrong place.

Another fact is highlighted by this video : lack of lane discipline. Slower vehicles often tend to occupy the high speed lane and wont move. Infact, most of them feel offended when somebody undertakes them as they wont budge for faster moving traffic. I have observed this even on vadodara-ahmedabad expressway. Till general discipline of citizens undergo an awakening, these type of accidents, unfortunately, are likely to continue.
aaggoswami is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed