Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2016, 17:50   #22216
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Is it common behaviour by two wheelers only or is it common behaviour of all of us. ... ... ...
I'm guilty of much imperfect and some downright bad driving. Regularly!

But taking a blind turn, on the wrong side of the road, possible straight into oncoming traffic, is not one of them. As I said before, I am not that brave.

What you say is correct: it is all down to attitudes. Or 90% attitude and 10% education. Change in our lifetime?

Well... how about declaring all driving licences void from midnight tonight and making it mandatory for people to take lessons and proper test. It would take something that big.

I saw a lady on a scooter drive into the rear wing of a car today. Frankly, I am not sure that the car did not cut in front of her. She fell off, but was quickly put back on her scooter by a couple of guys.

Nice thing: the two lanes of traffic waited those few minutes patiently, with no honking. Thankfully the traffic was slow at that spot.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th November 2016 at 17:53.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 18:50   #22217
Senior - BHPian

Today's such specimen was a guy on an unlit lane, driving a black Activa scooter without headlights, and dressed in a dark shirt and trousers. Dark complexion too. A perfect storm.

And he's like "I didn't hit your car right? Get lost"
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 19:45   #22218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Today's such specimen was a guy on an unlit lane, driving a black Activa scooter without headlights, and dressed in a dark shirt and trousers. Dark complexion too. A perfect storm.

And he's like "I didn't hit your car right? Get lost"
I got the puzzle....You didn't say it is day or night
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 20:11   #22219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I got the puzzle....You didn't say it is day or night
Neither. Very late in the evening and after sunset.

There's always a third option available
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 21:01   #22220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Very late in the evening and after sunset.
Which is the most dangerous of all the options!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 23:53   #22221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see such specimens regularly. While it may be possible that they have inherited night vision capability, people like us with normal vision need to see the lights for safe driving
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 08:38   #22222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Which is the most dangerous of all the options!
I second that. I find that this time of the day has the worst possible light conditions for driving. Visibility is badly hampered as the other's headlights are usually not on, and there is not enough natural light. Even our headlight gives minimum effect at dusk.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 09:02   #22223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well... how about declaring all driving licences void from midnight tonight and making it mandatory for people to take lessons and proper test.
I've often daydreamed about this. That we will have a uniform, tough to pass licensing test whose on-road component would take about an hour to complete. And that everyone who didn't get their license via this test is given a period (2 years?) to re-certify themselves or lose their license.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 10:28   #22224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I've often daydreamed about this. That we will have a uniform, tough to pass licensing test whose on-road component would take about an hour to complete. And that everyone who didn't get their license via this test is given a period (2 years?) to re-certify themselves or lose their license.
I have also thought about this since I was 11 years old, but we still see bad driving, though not in similar numbers, in countries with tougher licensing system in place. So may be the trouble is with the species as a whole, with intelligent drivers being an exception rather than the rule?

I even thought about mandating a system in cars that are programmed to swear at the driver if he does something stupid, and a similar display system that gives a rider an idiot badge every time he does something stupid. But that will hardly be a deterrent in our country!

Anyone know how the licensing system in Italy is? Similar to India?
Old 13th November 2016, 23:02   #22225
BHPian

Heh heh. I think you guys have gotten more than a bit carried away by the re-licencing dream. Please jolt back to reality and remember, this whole country runs "Bhagwan Bharose". Why, nowadays even for things like draught, floods, excess smog, tsunamis, financial issues, etc, instead of endeavoring to find a solution, this country believes in invoking God instead! Nothing less. In such times, even dreaming of some intelligence is overkill. Please snap back to reality, believe in your luck by which you are majorly hale and hearty uptil now and concentrate on your steering dudes
pixantz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 23:20   #22226
BHPian

On the eve of Children's Day, 4 kids of Class 9 were killed in Lakhimpur, Assam when the Scorpio they were driving (yes you read that right) hit the railing of a bridge of a 2 lane undivided highway. While 3 died on the spot, the fourth was declared dead by the hospital. According to witnesses, the car was doing 100+ .

While it is saddening that kids lost their lives, it is more a case of irresponsible parenting. Why were they allowed to take a Scorpio all by themselves? Why were they even allowed to learn driving before the legal age or for that matter mature age for driving?

Will post pics if I'm able to get any.
TD_GHY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 02:29   #22227
BHPian

http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/...=nov1516/at052

Here is the link of news. Looking at scorpio, its clear that speed was high. At the same time roof of car seems to be disintegrated totally.

Sadly all of them were 15 years old, Class X students.
karansm4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 09:49   #22228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/...=nov1516/at052

Here is the link of news. Looking at scorpio, its clear that speed was high. At the same time roof of car seems to be disintegrated totally.

Sadly all of them were 15 years old, Class X students.
The car *may* have been cut up at places after the accident to retrieve the children. Which makes it look a lot worse than after the impact. Just guessing.

Really unfortunate to see young children perish like this. When will the parents realize it's not money kids need the most.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 09:59   #22229
Team-BHP Support

There is something seriously wrong with our society.

Young kids who are in Class 9 or 10 are handed over keys to fast bikes. None of them wear helmets [don't even carry one] means, parents don't force them and to top it, have seen schools letting them in riding w/o any helmets.

It is all wrong and is rooting in, fast.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 10:27   #22230
BHPian

When will the Bangalore auto rickshaw wallahs learn?? Yesterday when I was riding to work around 8:30am in Jail road, I witnessed a near miss accident. If you have used the Central Jail road then you may be aware that there will be queue of cars from Sarjapur main road till / after Play Arena during peak hours. The autos here drive in the opposite direction or drive like maniacs. One of the autos was driving like a maniac like his auto is on a fire! He didn't calculate the braking distance properly and had to brake suddenly when he reached the queue of cars waiting patiently to reach the Sarjapur road. While braking he had to swerve to the left to avoid hitting a car. In the process of it, the auto skidded and was almost toppled to its right. Thanks to the men in the auto, who sat on both the sides of the driver, they balanced the auto by quickly getting out ( Like Bruce Willis in the movie RED). All the ladies in the auto were shaken and used their choicest of abuses at the auto driver and left the auto!!
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks