Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2016, 11:51   #22396
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
If you still feel I could've avoided a left-swerving car, while backing up, I honestly fail to see how. Even if I had stopped, he would've still hit me, no?
Any of us could be in this situation, and I believe this gentlemen did everything correct. It is the impatience of the vehicles following, who cannot make sense the reasons why the car in the front is slowing down, is at fault. Please note that Chakravarthy did not hit, it is the car that was following far behind is at fault. If this accident happened in a lane-discipline country, surely that media van is at fault.

So, what if this car has not commenced the reverse, wouldn't that media car changed lane appropriately? Which I still doubt!
Old 10th December 2016, 13:02   #22397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post

So, what if this car has not commenced the reverse, wouldn't that media car changed lane appropriately? Which I still doubt!

The media vehicle did not hit it, but just brushed his car. That would not have happened if he didnt reverse with his steering turned. The car's line would have changed, making it get into the path of the media car. It happens in all urban areas where cars dont have much space, but to move in spaces they manage to find.

The media car is also at fault, for not having noticed his reversing light, and sticking to the path. Our bhpian is also at fault for not noticing vehicles that were coming behind, that would hit his car while reversing. If he was just reversing without any change in direction, I am sure the media car wouldnt have brushed his car.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th December 2016 at 13:03.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 17:11   #22398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Er.. I thought the pause before the commencement of the reversing manoeuvre and the frantic waving of the passenger's hand in the other car were sufficient indicators. Anyway, let me clarify further-

1) I did spot the surroundings before starting to reverse. The traffic was sparse and the media van was definitely not behind me, it was in the right-most lane.
2) notice the double parked autos etc. The lane I was reversing in didn't exactly allow easy traffic flow.
3) the driver of the other car was too distracted and took a very sharp swerve to the left, as indicated by the waving of the hand. My guess, he was looking for some location or person and was in contact over the phone.

If you still feel I could've avoided a left-swerving car, while backing up, I honestly fail to see how. Even if I had stopped, he would've still hit me, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
... Our bhpian is also at fault for not noticing vehicles that were coming behind, that would hit his car while reversing. If he was just reversing without any change in direction, I am sure the media car wouldnt have brushed his car.
I've quoted my own post for your benefit, sir. I'm quite sure you have missed it.
Old 10th December 2016, 17:35   #22399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've quoted my own post for your benefit, sir. I'm quite sure you have missed it.
No offence. But the van was NOT in the right most lane. It was clearly seen overtaking an auto rickshaw which was moving in the right lane. I don't understand how you failed to notice that.

Anyways, I don't know as much as you do, regarding the incident. But i think you should be glad that the damage was minimal.
Old 10th December 2016, 18:33   #22400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

No offence. But the van was NOT in the right most lane. It was clearly seen overtaking an auto rickshaw which was moving in the right lane. I don't understand how you failed to notice that.
And, I fail to understand how you arrived at the conclusion that the van wasn't in the right lane! Lol
Look at the trajectory, for one. Even after brushing past my car, it continues to go left.
The 'overtake' you refer to, might be the auto moving past the car when he swerved to the left, right?

Anyway, I think enough has been 'discussed' about this incident. Time to move on. Thanks.
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 19:26   #22401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, I think enough has been 'discussed' about this incident. Time to move on. Thanks.
Sufficient dissection and analysis of this minor incident has been done. Lesson learned from the incident:

On city roads we are always at the mercy of others, however careful we drive. Defensive driving (and some luck) can prevent many minor and major accidents. So lets pledge to defensive driving.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 19:41   #22402
Senior - BHPian

A few minutes with a correctly wielded heat gun (found with all film installers) will result in the bumper popping back in to shape and a bit of cleaning will remove the yellow paint. If heat gun is not available, park the car under Sun and follow up with a hair dryer, though it will take longer given the comparative higher output of the heat gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
..........I am just hoping the car would look fine again, and not much paint would have been removed. As of now, I can only see yellow paint from the barricade on the bumper. And thankfully, the fog lamp is safe! It was just millimeters away from the point of impact.

Attachment 1583535
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 21:17   #22403
BHPian

This happened yesterday, early in the morning - somewhere between 4AM-5AM @ NIBM, Pune.
This road has medium pace traffic(30-40kmph) in the office hours. However, during late night and early mornings, this road is empty and since it is a decently long stretch and well banked, with steady decent - speeds of 80-120kph are easy.
This prompted PMC to lay down a speed breaker.

Unfortunately, there were NO "Caution" Sign-boards and the usual White stripes since some 4-5(maybe longer) days of its construction - PMC's sheer negligence and ignorance.

Fortunately, the man was not hurt, as claimed by locals.

What baffles me is, all this while I assumed - when a car jumps off a ramp, its final elevation depends on the length of the ramp and its height. This 1200kg Manza got onto a tree, through a generic and typical Pune speed-breaker(long ones with a height of 1 to 1.5ft)
Perhaps the suspension's opposite push -thanks to Newtons's 3rd Law- might've added to the elevation.

I think the driver was saved because of the trees!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161210wa0018.jpg  

Last edited by shree_shell : 10th December 2016 at 21:19. Reason: typos
shree_shell is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 21:55   #22404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
This prompted PMC to lay down a speed breaker.

Unfortunately, there were NO "Caution" Sign-boards and the usual White stripes since some 4-5(maybe longer) days of its construction - PMC's sheer negligence and ignorance.
What if he had died ? Would PMC accept responsibility? I think it's criminal negligence on their part for not warning drivers of the new speed bump.

I was similarly surprised once when a new breaker was installed on the airport road. Luckily for me I wasn't going too fast, and nothing like this happened.

Last edited by samaspire : 10th December 2016 at 21:57.
Old 10th December 2016, 22:27   #22405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
This happened yesterday, early in the morning - somewhere between 4AM-5AM @ NIBM, Pune.
Well, one more argument can be posited from this; i.e. more a car weighs, the better(in this particular scenario!) A lighter car will be more susceptible to such form of an accident, given such proper conditions for it to happen in the first place. The argument is open for debate, and moreover IF this is true, the potential Tata Hexa owners have something positive to take home along with that extra mass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
What if he had died ? Would PMC accept responsibility? I think it's criminal negligence on their part for not warning drivers of the new speed bump.

I was similarly surprised once when a new breaker was installed on the airport road. Luckily for me I wasn't going too fast, and nothing like this happened.
Good for you!
I think the incompetence of government bodies is widely known and it might've been discussed a lot on this thread. No need to -> It is absolutely hopeless to discuss sarkari kamkaaz and their efficiency.
Old 10th December 2016, 23:01   #22406
BHPian

Happened today on the Mumbai-Pune expressway at around 5 pm. Location was just a few kms before the talegaon toll plaza towards Mumbai.
The car was just a few meters ahead of me on right most lane when it suddenly veered went into the median, came onto the road again and went into the median and flipped over.
I stopped to the left and so did a few other vehicles who were following us.
I immediately called the helpline and described the accident and the spot. The operator assured that an ambulance will be sent to the spot.
Went to check the vehicle, where several people had already gathered. They had pulled out the occupants and possibly couple of them came out on their own.
Luckily none of the occupants had any serious injury. There was a little child and couple of ladies too as passengers. Didn't know who was driving.
The ambulance arrived within 5 mins of my call.
The cause of the accident seemed to be burst tyre.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1481390873905.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1481390891102.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1481390906942.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1481390921061.jpg  

sukhoi30 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 09:45   #22407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
The ambulance arrived within 5 mins of my call.
The cause of the accident seemed to be burst tyre.

Good on you sukhoi30 to call an ambulance immediately after a mishap.
Not sure if they checked the tyre pressure before venturing out on a high speed drive.
I normally reduce the tyre pressure by 1psi in winter and by 2psi in summer, than recommended pressure ratings, before venturing out on highways.
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 11:21   #22408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
I normally reduce the tyre pressure by 1psi in winter and by 2psi in summer, than recommended pressure ratings, before venturing out on highways.
Reducing pressure may not be the correct thing to do.

Do go through this discussion
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 12:32   #22409
Senior - BHPian

I guess the lesson learnt from both the Car-In-The-Tree and the Car-In-The-Median is keep your speeds in check. No matter what pressure I have in my tyres or if the municipal council is hopeless, I don't want to end up like any of these.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 14:00   #22410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Good on you sukhoi30 to call an ambulance immediately after a mishap.
Not sure if they checked the tyre pressure before venturing out on a high speed drive.
Reducing air pressure before a highway drive? If at all, you should be increasing it and not reducing. Lower tyre pressure will stress the sidewalls more leading to a higher chance of a tyre burst. I always maintain 1-2 psi more on my vehicles before a highway drive.
Seek is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks