Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2016, 16:36   #22441
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Yamuna Expressway accident recorded live is trending now.

By seeing this one can only take one lesson "Never drive when there is dense fog".
If planes and trains can cancel their journey then why not people behind the wheels.
redcruiser is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 19:43   #22442
BHPian

Yeah, it even beats me as to how and why people come to think it to be safe enough to venture out on an e-way in dense fog! Personally, I always avoid that. Under any circumstance. To me it's as good as driving blind at high speed. Because no matter how much I look out, there's no telling how many fellow drivers are careless about the whole thing and could come hurtling towards me at any moment.

And further, keeping in mind that people are happy bashing into other motorists even on perfectly clear days in broad daylight, its pretty scary to even think of the equation in this situation.
Old 16th December 2016, 20:00   #22443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post

By seeing this one can only take one lesson "Never drive when there is dense fog".
If planes and trains can cancel their journey then why not people behind the wheels.
Thats is a massive pile up , I counted 34 cars in the video, a huge number.
But this is from last year it seems as mentioned in comments, found out the same video uploaded in Jan this year

I had done this stretch in a couple of years ago in December, and had delayed my journey due to dense fog. No point in taking undue risk .

Last edited by born_free : 16th December 2016 at 20:03.
Old 16th December 2016, 20:07   #22444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Not an accident, but a near accident captured on CCTV. Kerala SRTC bus driver miraculously avoids running over a careless biker
It's a miracle the bus didn't topple...and apparently no oncoming traffic on that fast road at that time.
Old 17th December 2016, 15:11   #22445
Senior - BHPian

The posted video has been doing the rounds of WApp groups but is not of a current incident but then this forum is not a WhatsApp group where anything goes, as mentioned by born_free, this is from last year.

It's important to ensure the credibility of the information/the authenticity of videos that are uploaded on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Thats is a massive pile up , I counted 34 cars in the video, a huge number.
But this is from last year it seems as mentioned in comments, found out the same video uploaded in Jan this year
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 18:48   #22446
Senior - BHPian

Pretty old video, from 2013. Don't know if it has been shared before.

You definitely know it is an accident waiting to happen, why not stop that guy or call the police, instead of following him with camera behind.

What would you guys have done differently. Maybe I am being too critical here.
ecenandu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 19:18   #22447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
why not stop that guy or call the police
Call the police- yes.
Stop the guy- I would think twice. Two friends have had threats of violence when then have tried to stop a drunk driver.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 13:02   #22448
Senior - BHPian

An accident in Kollam today. The car was taking a U turn. The Versys guy went off the road and crashed trying to avoid the car. The Daytona trailing the Versys hit the car. Sadly the Versys driver lost his life on the way to hospital. The car driver has sustained some injuries too.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1482046247064.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1482046260619.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1482046276699.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1482046290469.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1482046305332.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1482046327419.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1482046344189.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1482046357609.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1482046369409.jpg  

Last edited by unk9ja : 18th December 2016 at 13:12.
Old 18th December 2016, 13:24   #22449
BHPian

The Alto has an L board on it. Taking a U turn means the speeds of Alto must have been really low. But damage on both the bike and car seems to indicate a high speed crash.

Looks like either the Alto driver was careless and took a U turn without checking. As the crash is on the driver side, I don't think its a case of being blind spotted. Or the car driver never expected the bike to be at high speeds.

Last edited by Ramon : 18th December 2016 at 13:29.
Old 18th December 2016, 13:34   #22450
BHPian

Since its a U-turn case and also the driver side being damaged, it seems the Alto driver started to take the U-turn from the left side of the road towards the gap in the median. The biker for sure might not have anticipated the same and crashed into the driver side of Alto. That's my interpretation.
rajivr1612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 14:34   #22451
BHPian

I dont know whose fault it is here, but the condition of the bikes suggest that it is a high speed crash. These bikes are so stable and mask speed so well as to give a false sense of control to the rider. I have ridden a friend's Daytona, it is so stable that i did not realise i was way above legal speeds. It was stupid. I felt really in control, but we all know it is too easy to lose control of the bike, especially in narrow roads like in Kerala.

Experience, though helps, doesnt matter much in such cases. These bikes need extra effort to be ridden at sane speeds in empty roads, how much ever experience you have. It is probably less draining to ride these bikes faster than ride them slow. That is why superbikes are not for all.

Once i was coming back from Pondicherry to Kerala. 2 guys in Z800 and Versys overtook me. I was around 110 and they were considerably faster. They were in full gear and looked experienced. In the chaotic Indian roads with non existent law enforcement, it was moronic.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 00:15   #22452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
An accident in Kollam today. The car was taking a U turn. The Versys guy went off the road and crashed trying to avoid the car.
Are you sure the car was on a U-Turn attempt ? It looks like a frontal high speed collision while an overtaking maneuver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
it seems the Alto driver started to take the U-turn from the left side of the road towards the gap in the median.
It seem this road does not have a divider, and like I said above, looks more to be not a rear end crash.
Old 19th December 2016, 00:38   #22453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Out of the five injured, four have been taken to a hospital in Mangaluru with serious injuries while one with minor injuries has been admitted to a hospital in Ujire.

The accident was the result of head-on collision of KSRTC bus and a Mahindra Xylo car. Three of the injured are from the car while other two are from the bus.

The car has been badly damaged.
No idea what the reporter was smoking, it's Avventura not Xylo. Occupants escaped with minor injuries.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161218wa0007.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161218wa0005.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161218wa0006.jpg

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=428245
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 01:42   #22454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
No idea what the reporter was smoking, it's Avventura not Xylo. Occupants escaped with minor injuries.
That looks like quite an impact, from the damage! Must have been doing decent speeds.
The fact that the occupants escaped with minor injuries speaks a lot about the Fiat's crash safety! Front has crumpled well, it appears.
Rohan24 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 09:33   #22455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
An accident in Kollam today. .
Multi mode traction control, wheelie control, power modes, ABS, excellent stopping power and electronic aids + sound riding gear + helmet + ability to hit illegal speeds in the 2nd cog + complete masking of the speeds + Indian erratic traffic

Now you see how assured super bike riders feel on roads where anything can happen in a jiffy.

We riders tend to forget that no matter how sophisticated our motorcycle is, we are out in a battlefield of guns, with but a polished knife.

Ride safe, anticipate and move. RIP :(

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th December 2016 at 09:34.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed