Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 18:08   #22516
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Does this mean he lost all the brake fluid in his system? Surely, this cannot happen in a car without the brake warning light come on well in advance?
Brake booster must have gone bad !

Shubhendra
Old 29th December 2016, 18:23   #22517
Distinguished - BHPian

Brake booster going kaput results in pedal becoming hard ..... usually four to six times harder. BUT it will not lose fluid pressure. This is fluid loss symptom.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 18:28   #22518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc˛ View Post
I saw a biker awaiting to jump into my lane from the opposite one (solid white line). I saw him staring at me for about 2 seconds, for which I realized that he saw me coming through and didn't slow down but took my pedal off the accelerator just to heed and avoid mishaps.

I think there's an element of misunderstanding in here. Maybe he interpreted your eye contact and slowing down as an invitation to make a run for it?

In Gujarat (circa 2004-07) the unwritten rule used to be that if you make eye contact with the other driver then it's okay for him to cross your path. Think of it like a messy blinking game. It led to a series of near misses but once I figured it out, I would just proactively brake and let the other moron pass, traffic rules and yield logic be darned.

I reckon that if you did the same, the mishap may have been averted. No?

@GTO / sudev: shouldn't there be redundancy in the hydraulic systems to prevent exactly this issue? This sort of accident should simply not happen. The driver should thank their stars s/he didn't end up running someone over in this state.

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th December 2016 at 18:30.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 18:36   #22519
Distinguished - BHPian

There is dual circuit system. The master cylinder is actually two cylinders with each cylinder feeding one front and one rear tyre in cross pattern. So if one circuit pipe leaks/gets damaged the brakes still work.

However if the inner seal of master cylinder goes then......

Has happened to me racing downhill where gears and handbrake saved life. Story elsewhere on forums. But that was case of brake fluid overheating and causing vapour lock. Brakes worked perfectly after cool down.

Last edited by sudev : 29th December 2016 at 18:41.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 18:49   #22520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A driver's worst nightmare - Brake Failure! Someone sent in these pics of an XUV500. Just look how the pedal is buried in the floor. Happened after Meghamalai Hills.
Hmm. I see a straight road, the XUV is run off the right and climbed up a ramp of logs.

Q.How did he get at this 90 deg off the road?
A: Maybe he wanted to take that right
Q : Ok, but then how did he slow down for the right without brakes? or in case he was already slow enough on the road, how did he end up so high up the logs?

I feel he must have punctured his brake lines after the impact, leading to drain and the resulting brake pedal position. I had a similar experience on my Nano, after a frontal collision with a bike broke the brake line from the brake cylinder. There was no braking available from the foot brake. After the accident and resulting procedures, to take my vehicle to the side, around 100 metres away, I was using the handbrake to stop the car from rolling too fast.

Last edited by nijelj : 29th December 2016 at 18:50.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 19:10   #22521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
If I were you, I would try pushing that small dent from the other side to see if it gets back to shape. ...

Be glad that it was an activa instead of some bus or truck. Stuff like this happens very often inside urban areas. If we lose our peace of mind over this, every minute on the road will be frustrating.

Sorry if my opinion irritates you more. I just want you to relax and heed to your parents in this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This isn't worth either a legal case or insurance.

Try the following - You don't need to remove the bumper the way he does it - just hot water and a push from the other side should do the trick
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Goswami bro,

Do go ahead and file a case. By the time you finish preparing the legal documentation and paying the associated bribes, you'll forever internalize the wisdom of your parents' will meaning words!

PS: This is truly small stuff. Don't sweat it man. Enough troubles in life already, no? Have a happy 2017 man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Hi aaggoswami,

I dont think this major damage - something that you would put in a claim for. Would suggest that you use hot water / heat gun and ... It gets back in proper shape and if I recall costed me around 100 Rs to get it fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Sorry to hear about the incident but it is quite a minor one.

No gain in wasting time, energy, money (in case you go legal) and not to mention peace of mind on such minor incidents. Had it been something major, then you are right in going the legal way.
True. Yesterday's anger of mine was probably due to the way rider behaved.
Mom and Dad were pretty tense about my "Legal" way out. I invited unnecessary trouble for them too. And eventually figured out that a legal way out is like hitting a brick wall and injuring myself.
Today morning took the car to a person Joel who has a small workshop in same area as I live, barely a km. from my residence. He had a look, Rs. 500 is what he quoted, and repair timings from 1:30 -4:00 PM. All things done at 4 he gave me call, thats it. Done.

The quality of job is reasonable for the amount and also the fact that it saved me insurance or expenditure.

Attached is the image.

There is a slight tear on bumper due to impact and probably thats the reason why hot water didn't work. I did try, but gave up at night. I wanted to push from behind the dent, but bumper had gone into mudguard. So no space, and was afraid of doing more damage.

At the end of the day, it cost me Rs. 500/- and peace for a night.

For the benefit of members, I am taking liberty to post Jeol's cell number, just in case anybody from Vadodara wants to fix a dent or two : +91-9427591014. He did work on my Baleno Sedan earlier too for fixing bumpers and odd dents.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rear-.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st January 2017 at 19:31. Reason: Removing video from quoted post.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 20:36   #22522
Team-BHP Support

If the tear in the bumper isn't too big, you could fill it up carefully with industrial-grade adhesive (Araldite?) from behind the bumper, let it set in for a couple days and get the paint touched up.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th December 2016 at 20:38.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 20:43   #22523
BHPian

Just happened to read this news online. Fortunately no one got injured. http://localnews.manoramaonline.com/...-accident.html

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-idukkiksrtcbusaccident.jpg.image.784.410.jpg

This is the second or third time i am reading about KeSRTC bus accidents where some "joint" breaks midway and the bus ends up in an accident.In spite of all the poor maintenance, the KeSRTC buses are rashly driven most of the time !

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 29th December 2016 at 20:50.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 21:13   #22524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think there's an element of misunderstanding in here. Maybe he interpreted your eye contact and slowing down as an invitation to make a run for it? ......
He could have passed past me without endangering us both. That's the reason why I took my pedal off the accelerator and let the car gradually slow down. But what he did was something stupid. Waited for me to come closer and did the move.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th February 2019 at 10:08. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 30th December 2016, 14:16   #22525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
True. Yesterday's anger of mine was probably due to the way rider behaved.
This happens, whether one likes it or not.

I was travelling from Tirupathi to Bangalore, day before yesterday.
One Creta was going ahead of me. I was maintaining 4-5 cars distance between us and was priming to overtake. Its a two lane road, near Palamaner. I came to the right lane and saw one RTC bus coming in opposite direction. So, came back to the left lane. As I was executing the overtake maneuver, distance between the two cars reduced to 2 cars length.
While the Creta is passing the BUS, another private bus which is just 5-6 feet behind the RTC bus, suddenly came to its right, bang in front of the CRETA
He had no choice but to hard break. And I have no choice but to hard break too. With all the technologies built in, I could still change the direction but there is a ditch on the left margin of the road and the bus on the right. I banged into the CRETA and damaged that beautiful car.

Went down, apologized to that gentleman. He also agreed that there is nothing much anybody can do. I am sure he has loss running into thousands. My loss is 3.75 Lakh [I drive C250 D and the front Grill and bonet cover are damaged and need to be replaced].

Getting angry is fine, only if there were other choices available and we chose the wrong one.
FORTified is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 14:52   #22526
Senior - BHPian

Saw this horrible aftermath today. Happened near Pangala bridge, Udupi. One side of the highway has been blocked for some repair work and this happens.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20161231_125400.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20161231_125436.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20161231_125450.jpg

Impact is on the wrong side and car has landed on the divider.
Old 31st December 2016, 15:39   #22527
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this halfway through my ride to kanadukathan today.

Happened at 4 30am it seems. No fatalities on the spot. But i don't have any updates on it.

Trichy to Pudukottai NH210 , near Keeranur. It is a two lands NH, very smooth and usually buses do 100-110 kmph easily on this stretch. I guess either of the drivers dozed off. It isn't a big curve or something.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20161231_11_41_12_pro.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20161231_14_05_28_pro.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 31st December 2016 at 15:46.
Old 1st January 2017, 08:25   #22528
Senior - BHPian

It is not a very happy new year for 2 people at least.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170101_082243.jpg

Just happened in front of Greenview hospital in HSR Layout
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 09:13   #22529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
It is not a very happy new year for 2 people at least.

Attachment 1590383

Just happened in front of Greenview hospital in HSR Layout
Actually it is a very lucky year for them. What better place to have an accident than right in front of a hospital.
samaspire is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 18:21   #22530
BHPian

Saw an accident on Mysore road a little after Ramanagaram, involving an i20 and a Tempo Traveller. Happened at about 4:30. Anyone got updates on that?

Most Viewed