Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2017, 16:31   #22726
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
What if the person driving in the front does a panic braking due to a cow/dog/child jumping in front of him? Grazing cows on the divider is a common scene in our highways. In such a scenario, how will the guy in the front warn you before braking?
In my case, a private bus jumped in front of the car ahead of me. He had no option but to break hard. I ended up rear ending him.

Quote:
Maintaining 100m gap is not necessary to stop the car without rear-ending. A 20m gap is enough for modern cars with good brakes.
I really hope so. I drive C250D with all the 3 letter and 4 letter word technologies in it. It can't get any modern than that. It still didn't help.

Quote:
Let's assume that the guy driving in the front is travelling at 100kph. He will take 98m to stop completely. So if you are maintaining a 20m gap, you will have a total of 118m to stop safely. With a reaction time of 0.5s, you will need only 14m extra, i.e 112m, still 6m clear of the vehicle in front of you.

Anyway, most sane people travelling at 100kph will maintain a gap of 30m atleast.
Only assumptions that you are making here is that both have equal momentum, both have breaks of equal effectiveness.
Don't you?

And, you should already be knowing what happens if you keep a distance of 30 meters [90 feet] between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Everybody and their uncles will squeeze in between you two and you need to go further back, to honor your 30 meters
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 16:46   #22727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
..And, you should already be knowing what happens if you keep a distance of 30 meters [90 feet] between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Everybody and their uncles will squeeze in between you two and you need to go further back, to honor your 30 meters

Sorry to say this but, you should have maintained good distance between you and car ahead. Safety shouldn't be compromised because other people get into the gap you maintain. You should maintain such a gap that if the car in front of you comes to a standstill, you should be able to stop in time. I know it's not always easy to stay calm with other drivers cut into the gap you keep, but like most things in India, you learn to live with it.

It's another case if some vehicle crossing the road cuts you off, or strays into your lane.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th February 2019 at 10:19. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 16:54   #22728
BHPian

Yesterday, drove back from Hyderabad to Bangalore and saw two fatal accidents - One for the rider and the other for the car.

Right opposite to Bluemoon cafe, there is a fatal accident. Body was still there and there are too many people. As the scene is gory, did not take pictures. Looks like a 2 wheeler being rear-ended. Especially traumatizing for me as the body was covered with a bed sheet and I use exactly same bed sheet at home

Saw another one after Anathapur. By the time I reached, the car is resting on its roof and people were crawling out. Its some Maruthi thats beaten out of shape. Must be Celerio. 4 occupants. None of them wearing seat belts and lucky buggers, all of them are OK. Joined the crowd in pushing the car to the side and later turning it upside down, on to its wheels. Car is totalled for sure. Driver looked like he is going to run away as the owner may reach the spot any moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Sorry to say this but, you should have maintained good distance between you and car ahead. Safety shouldn't be compromised because other people get into the gap you maintain. You should maintain such a gap that if the car in front of you comes to a standstill, you should be able to stop in time. I know it's not always easy to stay calm with other drivers cut into the gap you keep, but like most things in India, you learn to live with it.

It's another case if some vehicle crossing the road cuts you off, or strays into your lane.
In my case, it was sequence of events. I was preparing to overtake. So, increased speed, came to the right lane only to see that the road is slightly veering to left and there is an RTC bus coming in the opposite direction. So, came back to left lane, waiting for the RTC bus to pass so that I can execute my overtake again. Suddenly out of blues, a private bus from behind the RTS bus, with ZERO visibility of what is there in the right lane - he is very very close to the RTC bus, just right behind him - came to right saw that there is a car coming in opposite direction and went back to his lane. The car ahead panic breaked. As that was a SUV and mine is a low slung sedan, I did not see that bus and could only react as soon as I sense the SUV stopping.
Could still change direction because of ABS etc but there is a ditch on the left side and the RTC bus+private bus on the right side. Only option is to use the car ahead of me to stop.

There is absolutely nothing that anybody could do. Got down, went and apologized to the gentleman. He also agreed that none of us could have helped the situation. My damages amounted to 7.85Lakh.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th January 2017 at 18:07.
Old 30th January 2017, 12:23   #22729
BHPian

3 dead in collison between car and bus on Dhampur Nagina road of Bijnor district, Uttar Pradesh. Looks like an Alto?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

MercFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 13:18   #22730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Happened today in Hyderabad. Triple riding costed them a huge price! Two of them died on the spot while the third person survived with injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
Added to their speed it's the fate of these guys that exactly a lorry with its rear axle ended up perfectly at the fall place of these students. This is seriously a deadly curve near tadbund junction. RIP.
The TV reporter said that the rider was actually on his mobile phone when this happened. A sharp curve + a bike with three riders on it + the main rider talking on the mobile phone while riding = Fatal accident. What else do you expect.
Enobarbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 13:58   #22731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Happened today in Hyderabad. Triple riding costed them a huge price! Two of them died on the spot while the third person survived with injuries.
Ouch!

IMHO can't our traffic police have giant screens at important junction/intersection showing such videos educating people on road safety?

I believe there's a wait time of atleast 2-3 minutes at key intersections. Our folks can afford to watch such safety videos instead of fiddling their mobile phones.
Old 30th January 2017, 14:13   #22732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
IMHO can't our traffic police have giant screens at important junction/intersection showing such videos educating people on road safety?
This video is hardly educational. It only has shock value, and there will be road users who will be adversely affected by viewing such videos.

For that reason, it is unlikely that this video will be certified 'U' by our CBFC for public exhibition. Without which it cannot be shown on such a screen as you envisage.
Old 30th January 2017, 14:25   #22733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Ouch!

Giant screens in the junctions that too in India. Highly whimsical
Old 30th January 2017, 14:25   #22734
BHPian

Insane people at it again!

Quote:
MYSURU: A police officer was severely injured after his official jeep was crushed in a head-on collision with a bus. But shocking, instead of helping him, the crowd which had surrounded the scene had only stopped to take pictures. The cop died in a hospital.
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/as-my...-lateststories
Old 31st January 2017, 09:30   #22735
Distinguished - BHPian

Today Morning at around 7:30AM, Saw this on the NECE road Towards EC.
I always wonder how people end up like this.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170131wa000301.jpeg
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 12:02   #22736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Today Morning at around 7:30AM, Saw this on the NECE road Towards EC.
I always wonder how people end up like this.
I am just speculating here. Maybe, this is what happened.

Faster moving 407 weaving through slower moving trucks, tries a "blind" lane change, sees lane blocked by another slow vehicle, has to brake & swing back. Viola! He has inadvertently attempted an elk maneuver.
The result is what you witnessed.

Alternatively, take a close look at the right rear tyre - it looks like it might have burst.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 31st January 2017 at 12:03.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 12:56   #22737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Alternatively, take a close look at the right rear tyre - it looks like it might have burst.
You are right. Even I thought that the tyre burst could be the reason for this. But for a tall vehicle like this to do a 180 degree flip, I felt that there should be something more. falling on its side wouldn't have surprised me.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 11:44   #22738
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on FB,
(Post: https://www.facebook.com/dukeshiva/p...55016126089357)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva Kumar
Dear Tata Motors,
You failed them. A crash which took 4 precious lifes. None of the airbags opened. This is why your cars come at a low price?
Everytime from now when i turn my car's engine this will come to my mind.
Think twice or thrice before you choose a Tata.
-- Share let the world know
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-16388112_10155016125959357_5158470170618849939_n.jpg

But I suspect it was the bullbar that impacted the airbag triggering.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 1st February 2017 at 11:48.
schakravarthy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 12:07   #22739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post

But I suspect it was the bullbar that impacted the airbag triggering.
Yes, that might be a cause. Also, from the pictures, it seems like a rear end crash where airbags aren't activated.
TD_GHY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 12:15   #22740
Team-BHP Support

Right side seems completely destroyed and the chassis is bent inwards (looking at the LHS bulge). T-boned or sideways hit?

The bull-bar would've potentially hindered airbag deployment even in a frontal impact. Not the manufacturer's fault customers cripple their car's safety features.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st February 2017 at 12:21.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed