Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 00:53   #22801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
We often cite places like North America or Europe where traffic management works and motorist comply with rules. In these places the biker following the ambulance through a red light is a traffic offender and the person that slapped him after the accident is guilty of battery/assault, period.
Well said. I don't understand why everyone cites places where the entire scenario is much more mature wirh better compliance to laws and other stuff all around. Everything is different. Well, except that it concerns a motorist and a.... Jaywalker. How many pedestrians in India even look at the signals made for them? Ever? Go figure. Why, we don't even have the concept of jaywalking in place as per law in India. Do we?

I have a two and also a four wheeler and drive as well as walk a lot. The way I look at it, a pedestrian should be a responsible person when being on the road,no matter how much the law protects him/her. Because:

1) Stopping dead in your tracks or sprinting across a road while being sure to be well in view is much easier and safer for a walker than for a motorist who is travelling at speed and so has to consider multiple aspects while driving/riding. So I am more considerate and give them more space than the common Indian because I know that though the law may back me, I'm not God. I feel lucky to be able to keep my ego in check while being a pedestrian. And you know what, it's not hard at all. It's a good habit, I think. Because I also understand how irritating and/or ridiculous a pedestrian can be and behave from a motorist's POV. I think as pedestrians we should give the poor motorists a break. They're going through hell already. Why serve them some more.

2) Another bad habit is that people deliberately look the other way and cross blindly knowing very well that they're crossing plumb in the middle of the line of a fast moving vehicle and leave the rest to the poor driver knowing that if he as much as grazes them like a whisker, they can make all hell break lose and the other onlookers will be more than happy to lend a hand in thrashing. Not good.

My take is, even if the pedestrian is "always right" and can cross whenever or whever the hell he/she pleases, what would happen if the motorist genuinely didn't see him/her because of whatever cause like maybe another smart pedestrian/s or some other reason? Like a brake failure for example? Ok, maybe the driver will be beaten/persecuted/sued or whatever, will that be enough? Who is going to be hit? Who is going to break a bone or worse? The vehicle will be able to get perfectly repaired if damaged in the accident with all spares available. There are no genuine human spares in the market as of now.

I distinctly remember, for another example, two out of many such accidents some months ago in Bengaluru/Karnataka where a truck in one accident and a tanker in another, ran over 10 and 15 people respectively who were IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. The vehicles had suffered brake failure. They had not run off course or into any crowd or overspeeding etc.
Can anyone imagine as to why not 1 or 2 but 15 people faild to see the honking tanker/truck coming towards them? I bet all of them were aware. But people don't know what is the meaning if the simple phrase that is to "MOVE OUT OF THE WAY"!!

I think, I as a pedestrian, I am primarily, most responsible, for my own life and limb. Not the motorist speeding towards me. All other things come after that. I think there should be a clear distinction in everyones mind between a road and a garden.

Sorry for the rant 😉.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps somebody. Please take with two pinches of salt.
pixantz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 12:15   #22802
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Good for them and to TATA for building a safe car.
But, any update if there were people injured due to the drivers high speed testing which seems to look like ended in a shop?
Yes, the shop was open but empty. The shopkeeper might have gone someplace near for a tea or to meet someone.

The car swerved to avoid hitting a motorcycle rider at a sharp curve and spun out of control on the sand by the roadside, before entering the shop.

Thankfully, no one was injured.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 12:58   #22803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Yes, the shop was open but empty. The shopkeeper might have gone someplace near for a tea or to meet someone.

The car swerved to avoid hitting a motorcycle rider at a sharp curve and spun out of control on the sand by the roadside, before entering the shop.

Thankfully, no one was injured.
Not to be judgmental, but the car was fast enough to have spun despite the sharp curve?
Old 13th February 2017, 13:03   #22804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Not to be judgmental, but the car was fast enough to have spun despite the sharp curve?
~90 kmph speeds, when the motorcycle rider suddenly appeared in front.

The car swerved to avoid hitting the motorcycle rider, went into a sideways drift, skidded on the sand on the roadside and crashed into that shop.

Interestingly, despite the extensive damage seen on the Hexa's outside, the cabin has stayed more or less intact. The two occupants walked out of the car without any help.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 13th February 2017 at 13:04.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:03   #22805
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
My take is, even if the pedestrian is "always right" and can cross whenever or whever the hell he/she pleases, what would happen if the motorist genuinely didn't see him/her because of whatever cause like maybe another smart pedestrian/s or some other reason? Like a brake failure for example? .
I grasp the spirit of your comments and agree that it is in our benefit to take extreme caution while walking / crossing roads. But I do not fully agree with the 'genuinely didnt see him/her' comment. Its the responsibility of a motorist to ensure a clear view of the road. And when the view is unclear, be it on account of pedestrians or chaotic traffic it is upto the motorist to slow down sufficiently to a speed at which the vehicle can be brought to a halt in an instant. This is integral to defensive driving.
In India the tendency is to get into the us (motorist) Vs them (pedestrians) mindset and then literally jostle for the same space. I can recall plenty of instances when I tried to cross the road, at a legitimate zebra crossing, and motorists would increased their pace when they noticed me. Others would simply ignore the pedestiran. And maybe 1 out of 50-100 motorist would be kind enough slow down for a pedestrian to cross at a Zebra. Which, by the way, is the rule.
Zed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 16:48   #22806
BHPian

Brakes-less truck creates havoc in Vizag city.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Old 14th February 2017, 11:13   #22807
Senior - BHPian

There was a cement mixer which had overturned near the fire station on Sarjapur road towards Wipro office. This had created a huge traffic jam as the police were trying to remove it with the help of a crane. I did not see any ambulance. Hope there was no injuries to anyone. No pics as I was driving.
Old 14th February 2017, 11:31   #22808
BHPian

My experience when I met with an accident - Mysuru Kollegal road (Muguru, Karnantaka)

On 28th January, I was returning to Mysuru from a one day bike ride trip to Shivanasamudram waterfalls. I had a pillion as well. Around 8:30pm, I was on Mysore-Kollegal road as you can see on the map.
It was a two lane state highway with proper road signs and reflector strips. I was cruising at 70kmph at least for a stretch of 10km. Suddenly all the road signs, reflector strips vanish, and as soon as I could notice this, at 70kmph, not more than 50 meters away I see the T-point joining the highway.

There was very less time to react. There was a lot of loose gravel on road. There was no chance I could have taken a right/left turn as the speed was quite high to act.

I tried step braking and could bring the bike to 30-35 kmph before falling into a 10 feet deep ditch. As the speed was reduced, the bike fell down and the front wheel was obstructed by a huge rock. The bike toppled and along with the bike I toppled too.

Fortunately, when the bike toppled, the pillion fell on the right side away from the bike. But for me, it was not the case.
The bike fell over me. Giving me a fracture in the spinal cord.

But there were few important things that I learnt that day:

1. The place where I fell was having no lights or even a signboard. It was a sharp turn on a state highway. The roads are definitely not meant for the riders at night.

2. This place looked deserted at night. When I regained consciousnesses in about a minute, I realised getting any kind of help would be a miracle. But that miracle happened. Within 5 minutes, a bunch of people in the farm and few passerby stopped. They were the nicest people I ever came across. Without knowing my identity or language, they helped me all the way through this and until I got into the ambulance, they were there.

3. I left my rented bike in the ditch. Next day they called and told me to get the bike from their village. Instead of asking for money, they offered me tea and snack and when I offered that person some money, he simply refused saying that what he did was on humanitarian grounds. Haven't seen someone help a stranger to this extent.
Cheers! to the people of Muguru village, Karnataka

4. I learnt how important the ATGATT rule for riders is.
Luckily I had a helmet on as well as gloves and riding boots.
The only injury I faced was wedge compression fracture in my spinal cord.

5. T Narasipura road is the name of the highway and it is highly accident prone. When you google it the first news you see is about accidents.

I actually want to put a warning sign there but unfortunately I had to leave Mysuru and come to my hometown Delhi. I am trying to get in touch with the local authorities to get this done.

If someone knows the process, do let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.png  

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th February 2017 at 14:48. Reason: Adding some formatting :)
4k_jz is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 14:40   #22809
BHPian

Two Killed in Ghastly Accident

My 17yr Old Cousin Brother & His 19yr Friend(Driven by him) perished in this accident, which happened on 11th Feb around 1am on Chandigarh-Patiala Highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1487063363614.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1487063384659.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1487063408278.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1487063439679.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1487063461527.jpg  

Last edited by ScorpMan : 14th February 2017 at 14:43.
ScorpMan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 15:38   #22810
BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Two Killed in Ghastly Accident

My 17yr Old Cousin Brother & His 19yr Friend(Driven by him) perished in this accident, which happened on 11th Feb around 1am on Chandigarh-Patiala Highway.

Condolences to you and your family mate. May he RIP. God bless.
aayushnair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 15:55   #22811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
In India the tendency is to get into the us (motorist) Vs them (pedestrians) mindset and then literally jostle for the same space. I can recall plenty of instances when I tried to cross the road, at a legitimate zebra crossing, and motorists would increased their pace when they noticed me. Others would simply ignore the pedestiran. And maybe 1 out of 50-100 motorist would be kind enough slow down for a pedestrian to cross at a Zebra. Which, by the way, is the rule.
Completely agree with you. I have no idea why do people accelerate when they see someone actually crossing the road - they make the pedestrian even more nervous.

I used to live in Shantinagar (Bangalore) and actually see this in action when people tried to cross the road near Shantinagar Bus Depot / HDFC Bank - you needed a lot of courage to try the Zebra crossing - people would invariably huddle together and cross. All the while motorists would try new ways to cross cross them and the bikers being the absolute worst of the lot.

In that place I was so ashamed of my fellow drivers that I made it a point to stop and sometimes occupy more than a lane to help people cross. Unfortunately these people would then get stuck on the median and wait for some kind sole to stop or risk life and limb.

The only peeve I have with pedestrians is that a lot of them don't look on the correct side of the road while crossing and/or are busy fiddling their phones. I truly wish they stop that.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 17:02   #22812
Senior - BHPian

Like i keep saying, we can only improve if we start this in school itself. The number of vehicles and pedestrians is only going to increase till it reaches tipping point. Until then, the youngsters need to be taught the basics of road safety and few common laws.

We generally might be a lost cause but maybe next generation or the next can make things right.

Remember in school we had to learn about signal lights? and i used to love being taken to the traffic park for kids where you could pedal cars around the "track" and you had functional lights and stuff.

I give way for pedestrians at zebra crossings freely and jaywalkers if i know there is no zebra crossing anywhere close. what i cant stand is when they know you have stopped for them to cross, they slow down and catwalk across the road! such people are the opposite of drivers who speed up when they see pedestrians crossing

Too many factors to talk about but point is simple. Proper enforcement. Even for the "trivial" rules. Stopping at stop line at signals, waiting for signal to turn green, slowing down and stopping for people on zebra crossings, not honking, maintaining proper space instead of swalpa adjust madi attitude and squeezing in at all types of angles.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 17:19   #22813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
The only peeve I have with pedestrians is that a lot of them don't look on the correct side of the road while crossing and/or are busy fiddling their phones. I truly wish they stop that.
My big peeve is when they ignore the signal and take up our precious green time by flooding onto the road. Can't they wait until it is red again?

Otherwise I am really with those who want to make the roads safer for pedestrians. Cars do tend to bring out the worst in us (yes, me too) but we don't have to be monsters.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 09:28   #22814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Try being a pedestrian in Bangalore, and you will be a jaywalker in no time at all.
Au contraire, I'm very much a Bangalorean and I'm proud to say I've never jaywalked even in my college days where immature classmates used to run helter skelter to the other side to catch a bus or auto. I waited till the red was on, then crossed at specific junction points. Even today I do the same and wait for all lanes to either clear off, or cross when the incoming vehicles are a decent distance away (100+ meters). I also look for speed-breakers and cross 20-30 meters away from it so that vehicles can see me and I have some control of the situation when I'm crossing. My primary goal is to have a clear path ahead and second, not cause any obstruction of even a tiny portion to an oncoming vehicle.

It was my nature to do so, perhaps that is why I expect others to do the same for when I'm driving. I understand the vagaries of the human mind, but I will NEVER count on popular behavior or habits and model my own behavior on the same lines, that is an excuse that has gone on for long enough in this nation and I will not bend to that path ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Man that Fortuner is mangled, among the worst I've seen. Any idea what caused this utter destruction? (EDIT: to your reply after this post, I intended to ask as to whether you have any idea of how the head-on collision happened with the lorry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Otherwise I am really with those who want to make the roads safer for pedestrians. Cars do tend to bring out the worst in us (yes, me too) but we don't have to be monsters.
Yes, even in the previous page I never argued that pedestrians require safety, I actually want them to be safer by crossing safer and not counting on the public buses and water-carrying lorries that imagine themselves to be locomotives without rails and come barrelling down the city roads at 60+ kmph with zero intention of stopping.

Also I've seen more than my fair share of jaywalkers who imagine themselves to be sprinters and try to cross two major roads (each with opposing flow of traffic) in one quick run.. its fashionable in movies perhaps, to see the crook escape the police by doing so but in real life such sequences aren't choreographed for lack of a better term, so frightened have I become of these outright criminals that I keep a lookout on even the opposite lane for them to materialize out of thin air. This is prevalent in Bangalore in all the roads, to top it off two-wheelers are increasingly jumping the median however high they maybe and then the jaywalkers use them as a shield as sort of a mutual crime-syndicate thingy, only they realize that the median jumping bike has abruptly turned at the fast lane and vanished and they're stuck in the middle facing oncoming traffic.

I will never support these sort of actions, never. I don't care what the law book says, and I don't need a law-book to tell me that looking out for others safety is essential, its a human trait after all. However exploiting that human trait and pushing the laws of physics increasingly by the day, by jaywalkers is a crime that deserves nothing short of hard jail-time. You can easily see by my writing, just how such actions are affecting the city roads.

Edit: Forum, this discussion of jaywalking maybe slightly off-topic but yet I really am making my case for its relevance because once curbed or controlled, it will help mitigate a large number of incidents on our country roads. However keeping in mind that this thread is for a slightly different purpose I shall stop with this post.

Last edited by dark.knight : 15th February 2017 at 09:39.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 09:36   #22815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Man that Fortuner is mangled, among the worst I've seen. Any idea what caused this utter destruction?
A head-on collision with a truck (you can see in the last pic).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks