Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2017, 02:00   #22846
mxh
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Well i obviously cannot be certain if the car was speeding towards the truck or the truck was speeding towards the car, In any case i feel the end result would be the same? Maybe, Some articles are usually written for the sake of it, I have read several articles where one accident is described differently in all of them, Even getting the name of the car wrong is pretty common, Considering the amount of accidents that happen because of speeding trucks and buses's these days, Anyone would at first assume it was the lorry/bus/Truck driver at fault.
As it turns out, it was the car's fault : http://www.deccanchronicle.com/natio...-in-crash.html
"When the car reached Gajarampalli in Pamidi mandal about 30 km from here, its front tyre burst. The driver couldn’t control the vehicle which was doing around 110 kmph, and it crashed into the road divider, went through the median and rammed into a lorry coming from the opposite direction."
It's a good thing the Innova was found on other side of the median, else they might have found a way to still place the blame on the lorry driver!
Invariably the bigger vehicle is blamed and the injured are not questioned. Same thing happens in almost every 2 wheeler accident where bigger vehicle is involved.
mxh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 03:29   #22847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
As it turns out, it was the car's fault : [
..., its front tyre burst. The driver couldn’t control the vehicle which was doing around 110 kmph, and it crashed into the road divider, went through the median and rammed into a lorry coming from the opposite direction."...
Similar narrative, every time. How they concluded all this has always intrigued me. Believe me, as a rider who had a low side accident, even I'm not fully aware what mistake I did to end up in that accident.

On that note, I think as a responsible community we should allow posting of videos by fellow members who had near misses or minor accidents even though they were doing speeds well above the speed limit. Lets not be pedantic here, we can have a disclaimer on those posts, if it deems to be educational in nature.

Last edited by ecenandu : 23rd February 2017 at 03:38.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 07:19   #22848
Senior - BHPian

Didn't see this number mentioned in this thread. It vindicates many people's stance against speed breakers:

http://www.outlookindia.com/website/...in-2015/297949

Predictably, Karnataka tops this list.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 08:30   #22849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
No wonder it topped the list.

I am also wondering if authorities first release a Tender to construct speedbreakers first and then invite bidders for building the road!

I don't recollect a single Highway (NH) without a speedbreaker.

In fact, states with more density, more traffic and similar roads also do not have speedbreakers passing every town or village but we certainly have it the next day after road is laid.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 08:47   #22850
BHPian

Was there an accident in Bengaluru in last 2 days (20 Feb 2017) onwards ?

A schoolmate of mine met with a fatal fate and is no more.

I don't have strength in heart to ask his family at this time about details of accident and neither have I come across any reports from newspapers.

Car might be Tata Safari (Black) and other vehicle was a Water Tanker.
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:58   #22851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
RIP. Andhra Accident

Pictures as received on WhatsApp.

The Driver is wearing Seat Belt, but No Airbags.
Attachment 1611669
From the photos that are taken from the other side, seems Airbags got deployed.
But, what is the use? The lorry almost reached the third row of the car.
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:20   #22852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Didn't see this number mentioned in this thread. It vindicates many people's stance against speed breakers:

http://www.outlookindia.com/website/...in-2015/297949

No doubt a lot of those people died because of unmarked, wrong-design, downright dangerous speed breakers, but many of them would have died because they were simply not looking. And, maybe, going too fast too.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:46   #22853
Senior - BHPian

Belief is Relief

This incident happened on Apr 21 2013. I was scheduled to fly to NJ on 27-Apr, so, before leaving, I thought of taking a good long ride. Woke up by 3:00 AM, was contemplating where to ride for over 1 hour & finally by 4:15 I was on road riding towards Yelagiri.

6:30 AM - Yelagiri foot hills; rode till top, caught some view, rode down

7:30 AM - Started heading towards Vaniyambadi; plan was to head towards Dharmapuri & if time permits towards Mettur then Salem & back home.

Around 8:00 AM, while I was cruising in 75ish, I observed a adolescent boy in the middle of the road with his bicycle. I thought he would move, but he didn't & my brakes didn't work as expected either.

*** Bang ***

I fell on the road, right side of the face down on tar & nothing else; fortunately helmet's visor didn't break & took all the scars.

First thing was to laugh inside that nothing really happened. And then I started to recall where I am, what's my name, what happened, why am I here. While everything was coming good; trouble appeared in form of crowd...village crowd. Now I started thinking what all could possibly go wrong & what should I be paying, would they seize my motorcycle; surrounded by these thoughts, I forgot to even get up.

Looks like most people thought I was kind of dead or severely injured, gave support & lifted me from side of the road to near by tea shop. Crowd started blaming that boy who was on the road; looks like he was doing some free stunt on the road or whatsoever.

Then I realized I had a super duper pain on my left wrist & no where else; couldn't remove my gloves either. By now, people helped remove my helmet & gloves & started pouring water on my left wrist.

Now some intelligent opportunistic creature emerges examining my bike & asking where it belongs to. I sense their next move & slowly slip away from the place despite extreme pain in my left wrist.

After a Km or so, I called up HVK, narrated what happened & ask him what to do.

He suggested I might be having a fracture & in that case book a hotel room, park the bike inside hotel campus & take a bus back to Chennai.

I was quite determined not to abandon the bike + I was positive that I didn't have any sort of fracture & worst case it might've been a ligament tear & all I wanted is to reach home ASAP. So with those thoughts, I started riding towards Salem, refueled at Salem & came home. Way back, I observed a slight, very slight swelling, but excruciating pain. So rode all the way from Salem to Madras just with right hand & putting down the left hand. Anyway traffic wasn't that high in the afternoon & I could make it up for all 346 Km with a FE of 40 Kmpl!!

Came home, soaked my wrist in hot water & voila pain vanished significantly!!

Next day, thought, I'll get doctor's opinion anyway & went to nearby Ortho who confirmed I had both bones cracked on my wrist I simply couldn't believe that (and refused to believe that up to few weeks too). Had POP in hand for 6 weeks & even traveled with that broken hand.

Lessons learnt...
1. Never be in a hurry to ride for the sake of it; it ought to come naturally - I was probably riding for the sake it
2. Your body, mind & determination has to be in sync - I think I wasn't applying my mind completely on road because I still could not believe how the whole incident happened
3. When you believe in something strong, just go for it - I strongly believed that I didn't have a fracture & it was probably a ligament tear & that belief gave me a lot courage to ride back home
4. Lessons learnt are stronger than hear say - After that incident, I learned to ride when I'm in sync & stop when out of sync
aargee is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 16:29   #22854
BHPian

Another lesson to learn is not to ride a bike at high speeds in dark without clear visibility of at least 300mtrs .
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 16:49   #22855
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
Hey Audioholic, a little I'm in love with the music in the video, can you please help me on which track this is! Must admit you've an apt handle for sure.
The audio track was a hot topic (and opinion splitter) when this was posted on Team-BHP's facebook page : LINK

I believe it is : Dhanashree Thillana by Agam.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2017 at 17:13.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 17:07   #22856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RIP. Andhra Accident

The Driver is wearing Seat Belt, but No Airbags.
Surprisingly, the lorry has not got any damage except probably front bumper. How is it possible ?
Old 23rd February 2017, 21:01   #22857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RIP. Andhra Accident
I think this is same one - there is more info on the accident of innova and truck here -
http://www.cartoq.com/ghastly-toyota...sts-truly-are/

Last edited by abirnale : 23rd February 2017 at 21:08.
Old 24th February 2017, 00:01   #22858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I think this is same one - there is more info on the accident of innova and truck here -
http://www.cartoq.com/ghastly-toyota...sts-truly-are/
I have picked up this para straight from the article "The trio were travelling in an Innova. While they were driving, one of the front tyres that were on the car burst. According to news reports, the car was travelling at above 100 kmph at that time. Due to the tyre burst, the driver lost control of the car and hit the median. Due to the speed the vehicle possessed, the car went onto the other side of the road and crashed into a truck that was coming in the opposite direction. "

The author states as per news the speed was >100 and gives sequence of events, I am yet to comprehend how someone could piece together all this. If there were any survivors probably to a certain extent some conclusion can be drawn. Generally other motorists and onlookers tend to exaggerate or misinform. If you carefully look at the photos you can see some tread marks are clearly visible under the truck indicating that either the truck driver saw and braked hard to avoid collision or the truck has dragged the innnova after collision. From the pics it is difficult to make out if it is a single road or road with divider. if it is a single road it may be an overtaking gone wrong though I can't be certain.
Old 24th February 2017, 08:24   #22859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
From the pics it is difficult to make out if it is a single road or road with divider. if it is a single road it may be an overtaking gone wrong though I can't be certain.
NH44 is 4 laned road. Basically this connects Kanyakumari - Srinagar.

These days most of the accidents on the highway are tiedup to tyre burst as the cause. A tyre burst can also happen when the car goes over the divider, which people ignore. Even in this case the cause could be something other than tyre burst, only the driver will be knowing it.

Last edited by arun_josie : 24th February 2017 at 08:26.
Old 24th February 2017, 08:33   #22860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I have picked up this para straight from the article "The trio were travelling in an Innova. While they were driving, one of the front tyres that were on the car burst. According to news reports, the car was travelling at above 100 kmph at that time. Due to the tyre burst, the driver lost control of the car and hit the median. Due to the speed the vehicle possessed, the car went onto the other side of the road and crashed into a truck that was coming in the opposite direction. "

To add further information regarding the accident , one of the deceased is the Vice-chancellor of the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Ananthapuramu, one of the prestigious Universities in Telugu States. [ the other two were his P.A. and Driver]

But truly speaking, a tyre burst is my ' Sum of all Fears' that I dread on my highway drives. This is one such scary scenario where we absolutely cannot do anything.

I only can hope it doesn't happen to anyone.

Most Viewed