Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2017, 18:36   #22891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayankara View Post

God on earth knows why there was no sign board that the Work is in progress
There will be kids playing here and lots of two wheelers plying by this road yet no safety taken care. This happened in Begur link road
Clearly this picture explains the illusion here. One cannot judge what is coming next. And a whole patch of road missing is something we don't come across everyday.

But again the Indian roads leave the drivers/riders to drive at their own risk at night. A reflector tape or a signboard would have helped avoiding accidents at this place.

Last edited by bblost : 27th February 2017 at 23:16. Reason: Fixed broken quote tags.
4k_jz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 23:13   #22892
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I'm always blaming people for driving into things, but there is no excuse whatsoever for digging a trench across a road and not putting up very visible barriers
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 07:51   #22893
Senior - BHPian

I may be wrong here......
But if someone drove over that at usual speed, won't there be more damage to the wheel and possibly the bumper?
Was the driver gently trying to ease himself through the trench assuming that the car would be able to drive through it?
Old 28th February 2017, 08:10   #22894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayankara View Post
Mishap for not the mistake of driver

Attachment 1613757
Attachment 1613758
Attachment 1613759
Attachment 1613760

God on earth knows why there was no sign board that the Work is in progress
There will be kids playing here and lots of two wheelers plying by this road yet no safety taken care. This happened in Begur link road
Clearly from the pics it can be concluded that it isn't an overnight or day job as the amount of mud/gravel/construction shows that work had been in progress for a few days. So any localite would be aware of this road being unserviceable, for an out of town/locality driver from the seating position in Fabia the trench would have been clearly visible in night from the headlights even if we assume that the well illuminating street light was off.
My opinion is that it was the drivers fault, maybe as someone has already pointed out that he was probably confident of making it through the trench but couldn't.
RajeVenu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 08:16   #22895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
Clearly from the pics it can be concluded that it isn't an overnight or day job as the amount of mud/gravel/construction shows that work had been in progress for a few days. So any localite would be aware of this road being unserviceable, for an out of town/locality driver from the seating position in Fabia the trench would have been clearly visible in night from the headlights even if we assume that the well illuminating street light was off.
My opinion is that it was the drivers fault, maybe as someone has already pointed out that he was probably confident of making it through the trench but couldn't.
The driver is not from the same locality. She had come to visit her friend. From the pic it looks like
Road is visible but it is not the case when you come to the spot.
Old 28th February 2017, 09:57   #22896
Senior - BHPian

From the first pic the trench looks like a shadow of a overhead board or something like that. The angle of the drivers sight in any low slung vehicle will make it look like a shadow until the vehicle is too close for any evasive action.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 10:10   #22897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
And a whole patch of road missing is something we don't come across everyday.
Sorry for a longish post

This incident brings back a very vivid memory. It was the year 1993. A close friend & I had left home quite early in the morning in our Maruti 800 and returned at around 11 in the night.

The road our house was situated in was an extension of the main road in a Colony. Right at the T Junction of the main road and the road leading to our house, there was this tree which acted as a divider. The colony guys had placed some stones leading into the road to separate the lanes, which meant that there were 2 lanes for exit and entry.

We were tired after a whole day of driving and wanted to crash out at home and were generally discussing the day when we approached this spot and I started my turn in. I turned in only to find the entire road blocked with about 4 feet of sand in front of us and nowhere to go.

It was divine intervention that my reflexes were still good and I managed to not land up just like the Fabia in the picture.

We were shaken out of our wits.

That is when I learned a valuable lesson early on. If one has to drive in India, be prepared for absolutely anything - road / no road / 2 legged canines jumping in front of you (pedestrian / otherwise) / 4 legged canines / bovines(actually they are a lot more disciplined these days) and anything else that one can imagine and cannot.

To this day, I drive armed with the knowledge that at any point in time, I might be swallowed by mother earth thanks to negligence of a fellow human being.

Drive safe guys. It is a jungle out there and it is left to the person driving to save him / herself.

Cheers

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2017 at 18:13. Reason: Post edited. Please see rule #11
anvara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 11:36   #22898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
Was returning home after dropping friends and family at Marriot and this guy on a goods carrier from the left lane, grazed the bumper.
Unfortunately for both of you, the real cause of the accident seems to be that fellow walking on the road (as opposed to the ample footpath just beside him).

The goods carrier seemed to swerve to avoid him at the last minute, and it happened to be at the same time the road was narrowing...
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 11:41   #22899
BHPian

There was a ghastly accident in Andhra today morning. Between Vijayawada and Hyderabad, a VOLVO bus jumped into a culvert. 11 perished. Many wounded. The culvert is so narrow that getting the victims out of the crucible itself is very difficult now.
Old 28th February 2017, 11:42   #22900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Not that whoever did that is not at fault, but the place looks lit well enough to know there's a trench or at least some work is in progress. The driver is at fault too.
Quote:
Clearly from the pics it can be concluded that it isn't an overnight or day job as the amount of mud/gravel/construction shows that work had been in progress for a few days. My opinion is that it was the drivers fault, maybe as someone has already pointed out that he was probably confident of making it through the trench but couldn't.

Why are we always submissive and have that attitude of 'chalta hai'. This is a clear case of poor execution of civil work. Whether it is a well let road or not, a regular road or not, work done over few days or not, the person in-charge of this particular civil work should have simple blocked the road with necessary signage.

It would be a 'matter of discussion' if the driver after seeing the necessary signage still had dumped the car in. Till the time we keep pointing fingers towards the other direction, the culprit would be digging one more hole!

This happened just in front of me last Sunday near the Rainbow Hospital ORR. The road is well lit, wide etc. This cab was going in from of me at around 50-60 km. Due to the construction of flyover they have placed huge cement blocks (around 1 feet high) across the road. This fellow was new to the place and he was not able to differentiate the block and road and simply jumped over the bock and landed in front of the second set of blocks. He was alone and was wearing seat belt. The frontal part of the car was badly damaged including a ruptured tyre. As always the police there was blaming the driver instead of telling the contractor to put some signage.

None of the flyovers in the ORR have any reflector signage. I am sure there would be at least one vehicle mishap per day. Still authorities would not be bothered as there is no accountability. Few years back, from my previous company, we had donated few reflectors to the traffic police/BBMP to place near the flyovers and nothing happened for nearly for a month, and then we collected it back and did it our self through a private vendor, after a week, our BDA guys came and promptly removed it saying we did not take permission them. The signage did not even contain sponsor names on it
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rainbow.jpg  

LoneRidder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 11:51   #22901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
There was a ghastly accident in Andhra today morning. Between Vijayawada and Hyderabad, a VOLVO bus jumped into a culvert. 11 perished. Many wounded. The culvert is so narrow that getting the victims out of the crucible itself is very difficult now.
Yup,it was a Volvo B9R doing Bhubaneshwar--Hyderabad. A case of driver dozing at the wheels possibly!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20170228110321.jpg  

Old 28th February 2017, 12:48   #22902
BHPian

Quote:
Not that whoever did that is not at fault, but the place looks lit well enough to know there's a trench or at least some work is in progress. The driver is at fault too.
Yeah you are right, but many times these kind of road-cutting happen sort of suddenly! If you are frequently using a particular route, many time, you sort of go on "auto-pilot" mode and may miss the new obstacle/changes!

But again, this doesn't look like any sudden construction work - one can see the drain is cleanly constructed. But still a warning or some sign would have been welcome and it would have saved this mess!
Old 28th February 2017, 13:27   #22903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
... ... ... But still a warning or some sign would have been welcome and it would have saved this mess!
Some steel sheets laid over the trench would have made the road usable and safe. But it would have cost something, so hey, let the motorist pay. Some years ago, in this city, there was an incident where a biker fell into a deep excavation on an unlit road --- and paid with his life.
Old 28th February 2017, 14:47   #22904
BHPian

Averted a major accident over the weekend. I was driving sedately on ORR along with my family (wifey and toddler). I noticed that the fuel indicator was nearing the red line and promptly pulled to the left lane ready to enter the fuel station around 1 kilometre further.

Around 500 meters from the station, I noticed a RE bullet (fart machine or the slowest bullet India has ever invented) on my RRVM. The rider was having a helmet but was weaving through traffic with a devil may care attitude. I turned on my left indicator and started making way for him towards my right (legal) side.

Right near the entry of the station, just when the steering started to turn left, the moron decided to overtake me from the left with his motorcycle. I had slowed down because of the ramp at the entrance of the station and stopped the car right away. There was barely enough room for him to pass (which he did quite scarily) and brushed across the front bumper.

Right after passing, he stopped the bike and came to me; ready to throw a punch. Sensing hostility, I pulled into the fuel station and got out of the car. The attendants at the station who had witnessed the accident came to us and started abusing him for dangerous riding. Seeing that he was out numbered, the moron left the place scowling.

I pity these idiots who don't understand their ride and feel they are super human. While arguing, he mentioned that his motorcycle is fast and I, driving the bigger vehicle should have given him way. I ride a fast motorcycle and I knew for a fact that even the Duke 390 would have crashed if I had not braked.

Luckily, the car has no damage (except for a black rubber scratch) and the guy survived as well.
Viv3k is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 16:33   #22905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to this point. If you see the first photograph which is taken around 10 m away from the car, the drain is clearly visible. If the car was under speed limit + driver was awake, he could have just controlled the car and stopped before he hits the drain

Am not saying "Not keeping the Men at Work board is right". But, definitely, driver could have been more alert while driving in small roads

Or probably, he might have underestimated the width of the drain
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks