Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2017, 17:46   #22966
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Find it difficult to believe that the bus driver did not notice him. Or maybe the bus driver assumed that the biker would get out of way in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Not sure what the circumstances were, but feel that it could have been avoided.
Very difficult (or easy) to judge an accident based on literally 5 seconds of footage before impact.

The bus driver must have seen him, as the bus was clearly braking to slow down. It's not easy to stop a massive bus on a dime.

Like you said, any normal person would expect the bike guy to make his move to get out of the way (turn into a lane, etc). It's a common occurrence on Indian roads everyday, and I doubt it would have even crossed the bus driver's mind that this fellow was do drunk mid-day that he'd drive head-on into a bus!

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th March 2017 at 17:48.
Rehaan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 17:52   #22967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Ideal case: Bus driver must have stopped in his path, as soon as he saw the rider coming in opposite direction.
I guess you are overly optimistic.
From the video it seems the bus was at some speed though not very high. But it is really difficult for bus drivers to swerve at the last moment. Just to save a moron he can't put other lives at risk (assuming the driver is on the right side of the law).
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 18:04   #22968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvara View Post
Believe he is already arrested.

Although I have no great sympathy for these TNSTC / PRTC guys considering the way they drive through this stretch, I pity the poor driver.

At best he had only a few seconds to even preempt this disaster let alone react and try avoiding. It must be traumatic for him as well.
Not sure why the driver had to be arrested other than driving a bigger vehicle and there are fatalities. Its amply clear that both the bike riders were at fault, inviting fate onto themselves, with very little scope for the bus driver.

They could have simply filed a case and released the driver. Having gone over a human body by itself should be traumatic over and above being arrested. His family would also suffer the pain for no fault of theirs. I am hoping that the court would free him, and should not affect his job, but there should be some statistics on accidents and fatalities against his service, and that would definitely be affected.

During my college days, I spoke to the driver of the then PTC bus from whose bus footboard traveller fell off and subsequently died in the hospital. He lost moving to the next level of senior driver (blue uniformed as against the normal Khaki), because it impacted his accident free record over the last 5 years, which also impacted the salary and other benefits!! It was no fault of the driver since the footboard traveller lost his balance and his head hit first on the road causing internal injuries in the head, and subsequently lost his life(thanks to the apathy of the government hospitals). Sometimes I pity their job, when the innocent is victimized. On the other hand, it scares me since I drive down this road daily, and cannot imagine the fate of the driver if it was a private vehicle.
raghu.t.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 18:04   #22969
BHPian

Quote:
Bone chilling accident at Chennai on ECR.

Happened yesterday.

Am lost for words at this total disregard for personal safety and safety of other road users.

Sad indeed

Viewer discretion recommended
I hope the videos help the drivers prove their point. Regardless of how they drive (and the overall recklessness in India) the bus drivers are not at fault in both the videos. I see these kind of riding daily (wrong side, cutting in and out) and all these folks think is that the stupid act of flashing headlights will save them.

I generally stop or slow down when i see trucks and buses coming against me. I am no super man to handle the weight of a truck or bus ! Death or disability is so painful.

For the next few years, during primetime play these videos instead of ads. While it will hurt a few, i am sure it will instill some sense in the majority.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 18:13   #22970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

But, even though the deceased is driving on the wrong side of the road, the one who crosses his path, to me, is absolutely guilty of causing his death.
Who crossed whose path here?
Both are on wrong direction and doing some kind of air show stunt on road.
In this case, one idiot is more luckier than the other.

If you are referring to the bus driver, I am NOT with you.
If one drives like those bikers, one deserves that end.
I might sound harsh but I think thats the way it should be.
FORTified is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 19:10   #22971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Who crossed whose path here?
Both are on wrong direction and doing some kind of air show stunt on road.
In this case, one idiot is more luckier than the other.
When I was in Chennai, I used to go for long solo rides to ECR and I have encountered guys like these on those trips. Maybe they are doing all these stunts for the buzz, I wish they had different area to channel their energy.

I met a chap who was doing street racing while I was giving my bike for servicing. We had a nice chat and asked him the motive behind the racing on streets. Mostly its for recognition among their group members as well as there is money involved, he didn't say how much. But he told he is not doing it anymore because of an accident he had recently.

*Fast forward few weeks*

I was coming back from regular go-karting session and near IIT - Madras, at least five bikers overtook me at great pace. Its not break neck speed, these chaps will be doing 30-50 Kmph over the regular traffic flow, often very close to other motorist.

When I reached near ITC Grand Chola, the police has caught few of themb and the riders were standing nearby, then I saw a chap there looking at me, I was like, I have seen this guy before. It was that guy I met at service center. I immediately looked away and rode as usual.

Normally police have affinity to stop guys riding their bike in full protective gear, you won't believe how many times I have been asked if I am racing or not on the street.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 19:19   #22972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The..... Snip....
Ideal case: Bus driver must have stopped in his path, as soon as he saw the rider coming in opposite direction.
Your ideal case scenario will move the bus a distance of just 3 km in 5 hours if the driver keeps stopping for every moron driving on the wrong side. The Indian driver mentality that he/she is invincible has to undergo a drastic change along with the " sab chalta hai attitude". It has to be drilled into the minds of all what Thad says and I quote "In arguments with trees and poles, the car never wins" and I would like to add bigger vehicles, cattle and morons on wheels to that quote.
RajeVenu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 22:34   #22973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
If you are referring to the bus driver, I am NOT with you.
No no, I am not. The poor bus driver is a victim, as you say, of the two idiots.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 10:49   #22974
BHPian

Quote:
I had a question - when there is such clear evidence of the 2 wheelers fault, wouldn't the bus driver be let off without any issues? Or is video evidence not considered as it does not give details of bus drivers speed, attempt to brake, etc

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2017 at 11:53. Reason: Thanks, removed duplicate video.
Old 10th March 2017, 10:52   #22975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was a KTM Duke, wrapped in pink. Just look at the speed at which he was trying to join the wrong from the wrong side. What audacity ! what gives these riders such a sense of invincibility and such super human confidence while riding like this is beyond me

I think the rider might have lost his life in this ghastly accident, but I don't feel sorry for him - as he was asking for this. However I sympathize for the close family he might have left behind...

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2017 at 11:52. Reason: Changing quoted post...
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 10:57   #22976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Similar accident, where the bus driver is innocent. Looks like drunk riding, the biker was riding on the wrong lane in this incident as well.
Quote:
At around 13-15 seconds of the ECR video one can see that the biker coming from the left of the screen is looking at the bus and trying to outpace it to the gap in the median. Very sure the other biker coming from the right of the screen also has the same intention and speeding towards the gap in the median. If they both waited and let the bus pass, none of this would happened. If they both went in the correct direction of traffic and took a U-Turn, it would have been utopian.

It's clear that no good comes from going the wrong way regardless of how much fuel and time it saves, yet regularly one will see even the so called "educated" doing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
another accident in delhi sonipat highway
The car is definitely over the prescribed speed limit, the biker is suicidal and lucky to be alive. The people in the Innova with luggage on top are just unlucky and hopefully none of them were seriously hurt. Innova at the beginning of the video is just asking for trouble by reversing that much into the traffic visually blocked by the Mini Bus parked on the side. As a practice just park facing the traffic, it saves time when you are heading out.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2017 at 11:50. Reason: Changing quoted post.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 11:08   #22977
BHPian

Accident at Jalandhar.
1. This accident happened on Amritsar - Jalandhar NH1A yesterday evening while i was returning from my village at about 0730 p.m. This area of road is well lit up sans almost a km of stretch on an flyover. A truck which had broken down was standing on the rightmost lane on the top of the bridge. the car (Swift) involved in the accident was traveling one ahead of the car next to me.
2. As we reached the top of the bridge, we heard a loud bang as the driver failed to negotiate the truck or perhaps noticed it at the last moment. The car ended up hitting the rear left side of the truck. It bent the rear bump guard of the truck and bent it. it finally came to a standstill after it hit the rear tyres (left) of the truck.
3. I immediately rushed to stop after safely parking the car with all lights lit up (perhaps being over cautious to guard against errant drivers over speeding). the driver was could be taken out only after opening the rear co - driver side door. The driver was not wearing any seat - belt and had hurt his ribs. blood was oozing out of his forehead. Nobody was willing to touch him, people were only shouting. Spoke to the driver (appeared to be an unmarried male of 22 - 23 years old) and called up his father. Informed him that his the car has brushed on the side with the divider (so that he didn't panic). Meanwhile somebody called an ambulance and thankfully ambulance was on spot in 2 mins.
4. Finally boy was despatched to the nearest hospital.

Few Observations
1. A policeman came initially when victim was lying on the road (after being extradited from the car) and pressed harshly on his chest while asking for his well being . The victim shouted in pain and the onlookers protested against this and then he stopped. He was probably as ASI. I am of the opinion every police personnel should have basic knowledge of First aid.
2. Is the body of swift so fragile. The chasis was bent and the car was raised from left rear by almost 2 feet. Perhaps?
please excuse for the poor quality of picture. Taken by my wife during the process of evacuation.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170309_193106602.jpg  

Victor-whiskey is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 11:23   #22978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
another accident in delhi sonipat highway
Lots of things have gone wrong here. First the bike rider who out of his senses crosses the highway despite visible traffic nearby. Not a safe zone for sure. Next, the Swift driver. He was driving at speed in lane which is supposed to carry traffic with minimal speed. Blame it on absence of lane discipline in our nation.

At the same time, I think that the actions of Swift driver saved the foolish bike rider. Given the speed, there was little chance of saving him. On the face of it there was time for Swift to correct his direction and not hit the pole, but practically its next to impossible. Swift was at decent clip and driver's reflexes are smart. The pole helped the overall scene and hopefully, all are safe.

Culprit : Bike Rider. Equal blame for lack of lane discipline.
What saved the day : Swift driver's reflexes, the Pole and sheer luck factor.

Quote:

Happened yesterday.

Here, the bus driver didn't lose his senses and kept the bus on road. Natural reaction could be to avoid the fallen bike/rider. That would have resulted into bus plunging into humans and objects on side of the road. Nothing the bus driver could have ever done to avoid fallen bike+rider.

The wrong side driving is now considered norm. If authorities had taken action when the trend started, the habit could have been controlled. Its horrible, irresponsible and downright dangerous leading to fatalities.

EDIT :
Once such incidence at Navsari around an year ago : Post 1, Post 2

Yesterday I had visited A'bad. Now, I am used to find wrong side traffic in urban confines. But just ahead of Toll Plaza before the expressway ends at A'bad I spotted a white Activa coming on wrong side. Yes, you read it right. A two wheeler on wrong side coming head on towards me on Expressway. Fortunately, I was barely doing 70 ( I usually start slowing down quite ahead of toll plaza to avoid harsh braking ahead of those tall speed breakers ) and spotted him on time.

Did raise this issue at toll plaza and first reaction : It would be of staff, though it didn't look like one. So staff is allowed to ride two wheelers on Expressway ? Told him he was on wrong side too. Blank Stare and no reaction. I wasn't having the entire day to argue as they guys cannot discuss anything. If I shift to A'bad, there is likelihood of doing so, a dash cam is first thing my car will have.

While returning it was 7:30 pm when I hit Expressway and it was a night drive till Vadodara. 80% of trucks didn't have rear lights working. The reflective tapes on such trucks helped identify those behemoths presence. Even SCV like Ashok Leyland Dost and Tata Ace didn't have working rear tail lights. Saving grace : Most of Bolero Pick ups had those working lights.

Driving is no longer fun, and no wonder cab market is flourishing. Leave the trouble of driving on chauffeur, enjoy the journey. Makes incredible sense.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2017 at 11:49. Reason: Removing YT link from quote to shorten it...
aaggoswami is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 12:10   #22979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey View Post
Accident at Jalandhar.
From the looks of it, I feel the swift guy saw the truck at the last minute and tried to avoid by swerving to his left but it was too late and there was not enough clearance for the vehicle to steer clear of the truck. While the swift guy can be blamed partially but the major fault is of the truck driver here.

From the pic, looks like there tail lights were broke on the truck, not even parking lamps. I assume he did not even bother to put a hazard triangle a little ahead of the spot where his vehicle broke down.

What the Heck! Maybe I am asking too much from the truck driver (hazard triangle) but definitely the desi way of putting in 2-3 big rocks or a tree branch could also have been done though it is equally dangerous but less damaging that hitting a truck head on.

The least he could have done is have the cleaner go and alert possible motorists till the truck is off the right most lane.

A heavy vehicle broken down on the right most lane is a common scene and adding to it the fact that most of them dont have proper and functioning blinkers/hazard lamps and tail lights is a big threat. Cops unfortunately turn a blind eye to these things who should rather be fining such truck drivers for non functioning lights especially in the rear
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 13:13   #22980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
and all these folks think is that the stupid act of flashing headlights will save them.
Every day, I see bikers come down the wrong side in a one way service road flashing headlights at high speeds. I flash my car's headlights also and ask myself, "What now?" When will they learn?
madhavgpai is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed