Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2017, 11:03   #23041
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What your post says and what the link says are very different...?
There are other links telling the story. The hindu is telling it here from the Nigerian side. Here is a fuller story

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le17458959.ece
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 11:11   #23042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think/hope you're joking, but to clarify for anyone who is confused...

The Innova passengers are probably sitting at home drinking chai.
The Omni passengers are probably still in the ICU.
Of course I was joking (The smiley was for that). Sorry if the post conveyed the wrong message.

And you are right - the occupants of the Innova are unharmed, while the Omni driver is hospitalised.

Here's the report as in daijiworld.com
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/newsD...?newsID=442362

The car in which former minister and Kaup MLA, Vinay Kumar Sorake, was seated, collided with a Maruti Omni van at Urlandy near the bypass here on Monday March 13.

Both the vehicles suffered extensive damage in this accident. Driver of the Omni, identified as Raveendra Gowda Shantigodu (32), who suffered considerable injuries, stands admitted into a hospital here for treatment. The driver of the vehicle in which the minister was seated escaped with minor injuries.

Sorake and others in the car escaped unhurt, as per information gathered.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 19:01   #23043
Senior - BHPian

A KTM RC collided headon into a MNC transport bus yesterday morning in Adugodi, Bengaluru. The bus was taking a right turn into the bus yard when the bike coming in opposite direction did not anticipate this and ploughed into the bus.

The rider sustained injuries and was taken to hospital. Meanwhile in the melee, a passerby pocketed one of the broken projector lamp and walked away.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1489498248052.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1489498270146.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 14:53   #23044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Doesn't that look as if it was intentional?
That's very much an intentional one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Damn. Can't you send this video to the cops? This is unacceptable behaviour and the confidence with which the Innova driver continued after hitting them shows a total lack of any sense of intelligence or regard for law. He should be brought to justice.
I rely less on the local police station here. Is there any means through which I can send them the video link directly.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
That is most definitely intentional. And he was most probably drunk - why else would you damage your own car. But then anger and road rage have no bounds.
Quite true, mate. Either drunk or not, that's clearly a typical ego when you see a smaller vehicle ignoring your signal to give way .
E = mc˛ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 18:56   #23045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc˛ View Post
That's very much an intentional one.

I rely less on the local police station here. Is there any means through which I can send them the video link directly .
Some of the traffic police and cops have twitter handles and Facebook accounts. You can tweet to them or post on their Facebook page.
Old 15th March 2017, 21:06   #23046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Damn. Can't you send this video to the cops? This is unacceptable behaviour and the confidence with which the Innova driver continued after hitting them shows a total lack of any sense of intelligence or regard for law. He should be brought to justice.
Guys I found a good site whereby Bangaloreans can upload the violation image to the traffic police.
http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...icEyePost.aspx

Just upload the violation image and fill up the forms.

Last edited by redcruiser : 15th March 2017 at 21:09. Reason: Video uploads not supported in the mentioned site.
redcruiser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 01:20   #23047
Distinguished - BHPian

As received on WhatsApp. No additional details available.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image6.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image5.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image7.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 02:24   #23048
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
As received on WhatsApp. No additional details available.
Oh my God!!!

The Crysta's rear door sheet metal has been completely ripped out in the collision and rests on the bumper of the bus.

The bus has suffered minimum damage while the Crysta is a definite write off. The bus has side sliced the Crysta like a hot knife through butter

Toyota's flimsy build quality is evident here.
MAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 02:41   #23049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
You are joking, right?

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 03:08   #23050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....The bus has suffered minimum damage while the Crysta is a definite write off. The bus has side sliced the Crysta like a hot knife through butter ...
Bus has got considerable damage in my view. Anyway, this is an example for an accident which is not included in any safety assessment test procedures. So car with same safety rating may perform differently in these situations.

In situation like these, I believe physics wins. Bigger vehicles(trucks, buses) will have a definite upper hand. Only saving grace is this car is equipped with curtain airbags, don't know whether it would have made any difference to an occupant seated in second row without fastening the seatbelt.

Looks like an overtaking gone wrong, see the solid white line on the road, so someone was pushing their luck too much. .

Seeing this accident reminded me of an incident that happened to me before. Maybe eight years ago, not sure, I was approaching a 90 degree blind right turn (because of thick vegetation on right), I honked(not sure) before the turn I was expecting some vehicles to come from the opposite lane, so I was already a foot away from the solid white line. First I saw an ape auto, I was like, okay cool, the out of the blue a bloody blue(yeah blue) bus overtook the auto. I still remember, me and my mom literally froze. You have this big bus coming straight at you without any warning(he didn't honk, IIRC). There was an electric post on the left which was very near to the road, which made the situation even worse, I had to stomp the brakes hard, ABS kicked in and I managed to narrowly avoid the post as well as the bus.

Those where the times when I was taking it slow(driving), you know you are slowly gaining confidence. Thinking back now, had I been driving aggressively, I would have ended up like the Innova. By the way, I was driving the Honda City.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th February 2019 at 15:44. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 16th March 2017, 07:58   #23051
Senior - BHPian

Typical Kerala road accident with the Innova and the private bus.

Well paved and long curves with all vehicle in pedal to metal mode and the buses most of the time on the opposite lane regardless of traffic.

Looks like the Innova tried to get out of the way seeing the bus and the bus driver as usual expected everyone to just disappear in his path. I have had some many encounters like this on curves especially when driving in Kerala and it is just luck and lots of skill to avoid these guys.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 08:29   #23052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You are joking, right?
Actually, he isn't I suppose and I tend to agree with his point too, as far as flimsy outer build goes, I've no say on safety and I will refrain from commenting upon the safety of any car until and unless the India-specific models are tested within the nation itself.

It comes from my experience in a sheet metal-plant, not for automobiles though, something far less important but the physics of it do not change. The thinner they are the more easily they'd cut/shear/come off when subject to abrasion/force. We've all seen many Fiat Puntos survive worse with just dents and undulated/abraded panels, that's because they make the thickest sheets (VW doesn't stand a chance in comparison). The HM Ambassador will have a similar performance (again point to be noted that I'm making no mention of safety here, just outer shell rigidity). Typically the sheets are bent like a hook and stamped into the frame to hold on, and thinner sheets will just rip out since they do not have similar tolerance compared to thicker sheets.

One can ask anyone in the industry and the answer would come that thinner sheets are harder to repair, nearly impossible sometimes because they stretch/expand when pressure is put on them, and that factor would make them lose their original shape forever. Now many can call me an armchair critique who's pretending to be a know-all, maybe they're not wrong but my knowledge does come from some legitimate experience on how metals work.
dark.knight is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 11:22   #23053
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly !!!!

I am a Maruti DZire guy and looking at how well Crysta has taken this damage and still made sure that its structure and hull stay intact, I am appreciative of its build quality more than ever.

When my middle eastern friends used to say that people walk out of totalled Toyota, I used to laugh but they were serious the entire time.

Had it been the thin sheet metal of Maruti, I am sure nothing would have survived beyond the B pillar.
prithm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 13:49   #23054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You are joking, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Actually, he isn't I suppose and I tend to agree with his point too, as far as flimsy outer build goes, I've no say on safety and I will refrain from commenting upon the safety of any car until and unless the India-specific models are tested within the nation itself.
Looking at the accident seems like most of the impact came from the bumper of the bus which usually is the heaviest and the strongest metal part on the body. The bumper has scrapped the entire side with significant force. I dont think this points to poor build quality of Innova. Even the bumper of the bus is fairly damaged. Lets keep in mind that bus at that angle has lot more mass and force concentrating at one point causing more damage to the car. Any passenger vehicle would have had similar result. Atleast good to see side air bags deployed shows situations where they will come in handy.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2017 at 13:58. Reason: Shortening quoted posts :)
supertinu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 14:43   #23055
Distinguished - BHPian

Let this armchair expert also weigh in with a few points, backed up by no professional experience, just the usual scrapes I've done myself
  • This type of collision is a sideswipe, as far as the Innova is concerned. Notice how the front fascia as well as the front right fender are undamaged.
  • Sideswipes cause tremendous sheet metal (i.e. skin) damage over a large and visible area, since the impact force is spread over a greater surface area (unlike head-on collisions where a majority of the damage can be hidden away in the internal structure). Think of any instance where you've scraped a bumper/wheel well on a pillar while parking - the amount of damage would have been disproportionate to the speed.
  • dark.knight's comments come closest to my thoughts - thicker sheet metal would come off looking better than thinner sheet metal, but that doesn't translate to any conclusions about safety.
  • Its also hard to say whether the Innova handled the collision well or not, since the angle of impact means that the Innova would have been shunted aside, and a fair amount of energy gone in moving it (see the first picture, specifically the left-rear tyre where you can just about make out how the tyre has dug into the mud, indicating how the Innova was rotated/pushed off the road and onto the mud.)
  • Good the curtain airbags have popped, as the sideswipe would have definitely pushed the occupants to the right. For sure their head/facial injuries have been minimized by this, although their necks will be feeling sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Absolutely and even if this is a repost of an accident posted before, all that happenns after 35 seconds in this video should explain all that you troubled yourself to write Arun
A picture is worth a thousand words

Last edited by arunphilip : 16th March 2017 at 15:08.
arunphilip is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed