Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 09:20   #23251
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont know anything on this. But it seems plausible. Can it alter the terrain to create such massive earth movements? If thats the case; are these aspects studied (I mean effect on existing terrain before digging)? Also during heavy rainfalls; such aspects can get ripped open even further.

Point is : How does one assess what the state on the ground would be once tunneling is completed (Assuming tunneling requirements are met).
This article mentions a few technical details.
http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...t-crater-60084

The area has loose soil, so is more at risk. Also they seem to have monitoring systems (at least theoretically) in place.
What irks me is that officials simply say "Such things happen" and nobody bats an eyelid.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 12:51   #23252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
What irks me is that officials simply say "Such things happen" and nobody bats an eyelid.
Simpson's accent: "Whatever!" Indeed it is irking. Ultimately, the metro just might be a blessing for Chennai, but, year after year after year it continues to be a curse.

I wonder how much damage the Honda suffered. I wonder who will pay for it, and how promptly.
Old 10th April 2017, 13:03   #23253
BHPian

A Maruti Baleno RS accident in Kerala:

https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-bale...-12239765.html

Old 10th April 2017, 15:48   #23254
BHPian

found an interesting article regarding road safety from stray cattle.

Cows and Cars: Ahmedabad engineers develop alert system to save their collision on Indian roads

The stray cattle has been an issue for both animals and drivers.

To save them from colliding with cars, Indian engineers have developed a real-time automatic obstacle detection and alert system.

The system uses a dashboard camera and an algorithm that can determine whether an object near the vehicle is an on-road cow and whether or not its movements represent a risk to the vehicle.

Complete article here

Thanks.
Old 10th April 2017, 16:36   #23255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To save them from colliding with cars
Isn't the problem the other way around? And if a driver can't avoid a cow, what chance does a child have? And, haven't Scandinavians done this with mice, or mooses or something, a few years back?

(given the month, I wondered if that article would be dated 1st. But it wasn't.)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 16:52   #23256
BHPian

Even I am quite skeptical about the idea. How a camera with motion detection algo will help when a stray cow suddenly appears out of the divider bushes on a higway at tripple digit speeds?
Old 10th April 2017, 17:22   #23257
BHPian

Lets see how long Chennai takes to repair the road

Japan fixed it in 48 hours. The race is ON!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...aired-two-days

Based on the video clips, the Chennai spot appears to have become a tourist attraction.

Last edited by aerohit : 10th April 2017 at 17:25.
aerohit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 19:07   #23258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
I agree with the last line of your post that as a Biker one has to be doubly careful as he/she is the more vulnerable person regardless of whose fault it was. But, I do not think it was the bikers fault in this case. The car was clearly at fault. It was the drivers responsibility to make sure that the overtaking maneuver, could be safely carried out.

With regards to bikers riding on extreme left side of the road. That is ok if the biker is going significantly slower than the traffic. But for this biker going at decent speeds, he was at the right place.
I attended biking schools in the UK and they have the concept called the 'command position' when riding bike on the road. That means that in single lane roads try and ride in the middle of your side of the road (as long as your speed is decent), to prevent exactly these kind of drivers from trying to unsafely squeeze through when the road is not clear, with oncoming traffic.

Common sense would dictate that , as a biker, one needs to look into mirrors and check over the shoulders to have situational awareness. It also means that if you see a maniac in a car coming too close for comfort, then anticipate the situation and slow down a bit to allow them to overtake.

But in this particular case, there is no doubt that it was the car drivers fault, even if he had honked and flashes lights etc, as somebody else suggested he might have!. There is no excuse for a hit and run. I hope he got his just rewards.
Well let me rephrase : The cardriver was definitely guilty. No doubt about it. The car driver is a cabbie and like every cabbie in india , has virtually non-existant road sense. This person doesn't even have the capability to develop road sense. This person is most likely not educated and probably graduated from 3 wheeler to 4 wheeler. His livelihood depends on him going from point A to Point B asap.

The Bike driver : Educated and possibly from a well to do family. This person has the capability to have road sense. This person's lively hood is not based on driving from point A to Point B. This person could have easily allowed the cab to overtake him and continue with his joy ride. But he choose to engage in either a) ego war b) road rage because of constant honking by cabbie c) choose not exercise road sense

In this aspect , I find the bike driver more guilty. You expect more maturity from an educated person when compared to a rustic cabbie.

You quoted UK law. it changes country to country. For example in US, the law states that if someone is tailing you for a while and unable to overtake, you are expected to pull over and allow that person to overtake.

Road-sense expected in this scenario and in every scenario is that if a vehicle is on your tail, allow it to pass by. The vehicle is on your tail not because it intends to tailgate you, it is because it is not being allowed to overtake you.
dreadknight5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 20:15   #23259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Lets see how long Chennai takes to repair the road

Japan fixed it in 48 hours. The race is ON!
Well, In my opinion, it will not be even a competition, even though the cave-in at chennai looks quite small as compared to the one you have posted which has happened in Japan.

It'd be great, if it gets repaired at least in a week. If this happened in Bangalore, it will take minimum two or three weeks. First one week will be only blame games, second week some cats will do some inspection and in the third week, something might happen.. Meaning no disrespect to my city, but I fear this is the reality. For clearing a simple clog in the underground drainage, it took the better part of 10 - 12 days near rammurthynagar
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 21:24   #23260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
found an interesting article regarding road safety from stray cattle.

Cows and Cars: Ahmedabad engineers develop alert system to save their collision on Indian roads

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
Even I am quite skeptical about the idea. How a camera with motion detection algo will help when a stray cow suddenly appears out of the divider bushes on a higway at tripple digit speeds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

Incident 3 : CBR 250 Vs Calf

I was going to my brother's home after office hours via Chennai - Tambaram by pass. I was a bit reckless on bike then, I was about to over take a bus in the middle lane. I was doing 85 Kmph and accelerating.

I just glanced at the median, there were cattle grazing there. I was like, guys don't cross the road now. Then as if this calf hear my thought, decided to jump right in front of me. I looked for the gap between the calf on my right and the bus on the left, braked hard, ABS kicked. My right handle hit the calf, on the face I believe. After getting hit it returned back to the median.

I have to swerve here, other wise you know what would have happened..

My little finger got swollen and as I was convinced that I got a fracture, I pulled over to a small lab to take X-ray. I felt quite dizzy, drank some water and left that place without taking X-ray. Went to Miot hospital and what happened there was quite funny, I will save rest of what happened there for another post.
Not sure how this system will be helpful in India, as an academic project it is good but practically, I see this system as a stand alone solution offer little value addition. Maybe couple this with AEB (Auto Emergency Braking). Software wise, an additional Control Strategy for animal detection.
Old 10th April 2017, 22:43   #23261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadknight5 View Post
Well let me rephrase ... ... ...
I wonder if you even watched the video.

I wonder at your description of tail-gating. First time I ever heard that view. No, it is not a good one. And no, nobody has a right to overtake, or to bully someone else out of their way, or to overtake in a way that is just horribly dangerous.

Like I said in my last post on this particular accidenL it is one of the clearest posted here. No doubts. But still people want to make and argue them.

I thought everybody was done and through on this particular accident. Sadly, I was wrong.

Anyway, I'm done now.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 06:49   #23262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Well, In my opinion, it will not be even a competition, even though the cave-in at chennai looks quite small as compared to the one you have posted which has happened in Japan.

It'd be great, if it gets repaired at least in a week. If this happened in Bangalore, it will take minimum two or three weeks. rammurthynagar
Anna Salai traffic goes back to normal 19 hours after cave-in

The road has been restored and open to traffic as per news report in TOI today. Looks like it even took Motorists by surprise

Quote:
Traffic was restored to normal on Monday on Anna Salai at Thousand Lights, almost 19 hours after a cave-in on Sunday on the arterial road, due to metro rail tunnelling work, left behind a large crater into which an MTC bus and a car had plunged. The traffic police opened on the stretch, opposite Church Park School, in a gradual manner.

Police officers first opened the road to autorickshaws and two-wheelers, around 9.30am, after a 2.1 metre stretch was repaired. They opened the section of road to cars and buses in the afternoon. A senior officer from the police traffic enforcement wing said, “At 2 pm, cars and MTC buses were allowed to use the stretch after the approval of Chennai Metro Rail Ltd (CMRL) officials.“

K Sathish, a motorist, said, “I didn't think the repairs would be completed so soon. I started from home a little early to avoid getting caught in traffic caused by vehicle diversions.“

Police sources said the traffic flow had reduced in the morning hours on Anna Salai toward Saidapet and Guindy as many believed that the road was closed to vehicles.
concorde24 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 08:55   #23263
BHPian

Wow, that's great. I was expecting at least a couple of days work to complete this. In the cave-in that ocurred last week, they put a ribbed metal plank/sheet to cover it. Wondering what they have done this time.
Old 11th April 2017, 09:10   #23264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content Reactor View Post
Wow, that's great. I was expecting at least a couple of days work to complete this. In the cave-in that ocurred last week, they put a ribbed metal plank/sheet to cover it. Wondering what they have done this time.
There are some fresh cracks along that road I hear.

My guess is that the entire length of the metro tunnels has to be heavily reinforced with metal and concrete. If it is like this right now it will be much worse when trains start operating underground.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 09:29   #23265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder if you even watched the video.
I did watch the video and what i observed was that this was not a full video. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more to the background.

At 24th second, the car was behind the bike. Till the 36th second, the biker was on the left side of the road giving the cabbie enough space to overtake. However when there is a bus comming from the opposite direction, the biker starts moving to the center of the road .

So basically he invites the cabbie to overtake and then tries to block him by moving towards center of the road on the 43rd second.

Why he did that can be anyone's guess. But that was strange in my opinion. I expect such nonsense from Cabbies , not from educated people like the bike driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder at your description of tail-gating. First time I ever heard that view. No, it is not a good one. And no, nobody has a right to overtake, or to bully someone else out of their way, or to overtake in a way that is just horribly dangerous.

Like I said in my last post on this particular accidenL it is one of the clearest posted here. No doubts. But still people want to make and argue them.

I thought everybody was done and through on this particular accident. Sadly, I was wrong.

Anyway, I'm done now.
Well about tail gating, thats what I follow, because that makes sense to me. Well you can say that part of US driving culture rubbed on to me.
In India, I consider everyone on the road except me as grade 1 idiots, hence I take precautionary measures.

Again, your comments are belaying the actual facts. The way the cabbies , autorickaw drivers, bikers(in city), bus drivers , other commercial vehicles drive is nothing short of bullying. Are they right driving that way ? Nope. Can you realistically do something about it ? Nope again

You have to accept the ground realities and adjust.Technically you don't need to . It is unfair, but such is life.

AGAIN : The car driver is guilty of running into the Biker. No questions there.
But it doesn't mean that the biker is completely innocent.

Last edited by dreadknight5 : 11th April 2017 at 09:36. Reason: Additional points
dreadknight5 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks