Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 09:52   #23326
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

1 Killed As Delhi Schoolboy Celebrating Last Exam Rams Car Into Pavement

Yet another incident !
Old 20th April 2017, 10:37   #23327
BHPian

It occurred on 19th April 2017, at Kotkapura town of Punjab, three 10+2 students riding a motorbike, the driver of the parked car, opened the door, hitting the bike, and they were thrown under the rear wheel of a truck coming from the opposite side. Sadly two of them died on the spot, third is in the hospital. Attached is the cctv recording of a nearby shop, as recieved on WhatsApp.
gsratta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 10:59   #23328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
It occurred on 19th April 2017, at Kotkapura town of Punjab, three 10+2 students riding a motorbike, the driver of the parked car, opened the door, hitting the bike, and they were thrown under the rear wheel of a truck coming from the opposite side. Sadly two of them died on the spot, third is in the hospital. Attached is the cctv recording of a nearby shop, as recieved on WhatsApp.
That's just horrible! A major blunder by the car driver.
When he started to open the door, the bike was already close to the car. He should've looked behind before opening the door which he clearly didn't, costing two lives
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 11:59   #23329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That road has enough width to have two lanes on each side and a footpath/parking lane. It's sad to see such accidents happen. A bit more civic sense and construction is needed.

Last edited by bblost : 21st April 2017 at 00:14. Reason: removed embedded video from quoted section of this post.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:38   #23330
BHPian

Quote:
Extremely sad. How can people be so careless and irresponsible? In this case both the car driver and the bikers are at fault. The car driver should have made pretty sure that no vehicle was approaching from the rear before he opened the door and the bikers too should have followed a simple rule of passing a stationery vehicle from a distance of at least six feet.

Last edited by bblost : 21st April 2017 at 00:15. Reason: removed embedded video from quoted section of this post.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 13:15   #23331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
the bikers too should have followed a simple rule of passing a stationery vehicle from a distance of at least six feet.
Seems to me if they had tried to keep a distance of six feet they'd have been directly in front of the oncoming truck.

That car driver is surely guilty of causing death by negligence. One reason I always drive with the right rear door child lock on (the driver door I hope I am careful enough).
binand is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 13:39   #23332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Seems to me if they had tried to keep a distance of six feet they'd have been directly in front of the oncoming truck.

That car driver is surely guilty of causing death by negligence. One reason I always drive with the right rear door child lock on (the driver door I hope I am careful enough).
Absolutely...Couldn't agree more. The car driver is definitely guilty of negligence. Without doubt the six feet distance rule wouldn't have worked in this scenario but nonetheless in the hindsight had the unfortunate bikers been more defensive, the things would have been different. While on the road always be prepared for the unexpected and be a defensive driver at all times.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 20th April 2017 at 13:57.
Old 20th April 2017, 13:43   #23333
Distinguished - BHPian

Even as a pedestrian, I take care when walking past parked cars with a person in the seat I am passing. Drivers should always know the risk. Even from the most selfish point of view, they do not want to have to invest in a new door! Non-driving passengers, however, often do not have a clue. I have upset family harmony once or twice by sharply telling my wife off !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
... ... ... Wisen up guys, we're enthusiasts, remember? Not politicians.
Well said, Pixantz. We are not politicians, and we are not a lynch mob either.

Sometimes, though, it is hard to repress expression of the shock that some of the incidents in this thread naturally cause. But lets keep it a little cool. And lets not "thrash" people when we don't even know what happened.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 20th April 2017 at 13:50.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 14:20   #23334
BHPian

Quote:
The footage indicates that the bikers were riding without crash helmets as such severe head injuries proved to be fatal. The video footage also points to the fact that how detrimental it can be to ply a heavy vehicle on narrow lanes.

Last edited by bblost : 21st April 2017 at 00:15. Reason: removed embedded video from quoted section of this post.
Old 20th April 2017, 18:34   #23335
Distinguished - BHPian

The driver of that car should never have opened the door with the truck approaching.

The result is horrific.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 20:02   #23336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It occurred on 19th April 2017, at Kotkapura town of Punjab, three 10+2 students riding a motorbike
Not passing judgement at all (we all know how much we hate that don't we?) but allow me to play a lawyer for this post :

1) Is triple riding legal in India?
2) Are all three wearing helmets? If no then what's the legal take on that in Punjab?
3) The 3 boys are 10+2 students, if so, is the rider under 18? If under 18 does the rider possess a valid LL? If over 18 does the rider possess a valid DL/RL?

Now let me come out of lawyering mode and state that prevention of any accident/incident is about more than legal precedence, its about safety, humanity and pure-survival. The car driver is obliged to look out for the safety of pedestrians/motorists before he flung open the door and the riders could've followed the procedures to protect themselves just as car drivers use seat belts, also while its humanly possible to triple and quadriple ride on a 2 seat bike, it really doesn't speak very highly of their intelligence in doing so, any one of them could've opted out of the ride citing safety, couldn't they have?

Lastly this isn't criticism, no one understands better than me that hindsight is 20-20, but somehow in some way, examples have to be used to give present & future lawbreakers a 20-20 vision.. its the only way. Paranoia is your best friend over the Indian roads, keep it close always.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 20:04   #23337
Senior - BHPian

Un-beleivable the number of accidents in Goa.

https://www.goaprism.com/two-deadly-...olice-challan/

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/58250413.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accidentmain.jpg  

Old 20th April 2017, 20:08   #23338
BHPian

I think most accidents in this 2000 page long thread can be prevented if people use a little common sense. India is probably the only place on earth where despite everyone being in a rush, no one ever gets there on time.

Yesterday, I saw a helmetless biker on a pulsar trying to impress the lady sitting helmetless behind him by zig-zagging at high speed on a crowded road. He almost fell inside the rear of a garbage truck when it suddenly braked. Instead he fell onto the road and had to be helped up by people behind him (me and a few other bikers). This same chap took off half my rear number plate on the bonnie with his antics.

So who was at fault? The biker with absolutely no regard for his own life as well as the lady behind him. The garbage truck which had no brake lights, no lights for that matter and who's driver was willing to brake suddenly to send out his assistant to the pan shop? The traffic police which can't be bothered to catch these hooligans but doesn't fail to stop a biker in riding gear? The municipality which has deemed that sidewalks should be for selling things, forcing pedestrians to use the road and consequently causing gridlock in the half lane that remains?

The simple answer is nothing will change because life is cheap in India. No one cares to secure their own lives, no one bothers about the other. As a result, we have the world's deadliest roads. Don't expect any new laws to change things unless we change ourselves. Apologies for the rant but I just feel we keep flogging the same dead horse.
djpeesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 21:20   #23339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I think most accidents in this 2000 page long thread can be prevented if people use a little common sense. India is probably the only place on earth where despite everyone being in a rush, no one ever gets there on time.
Be fair: 2,000 pages over thirteen years, and many of those pages were of discussion beyond the necessary

Quote:
Yesterday, I saw a helmetless biker on a pulsar trying to impress the lady sitting helmetless behind him by zig-zagging at high speed on a crowded road.
A great deal will be achieved if the young ladies would stop being impressed by this stuff. Ladies: If your guy can't drive safe, find one who can! This would really shake things up.

Sadly, this is not going to happen. Instead, the ladies are learning and practising the same nonsense.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 21:39   #23340
BHPian

Forty five die as bus falls into river in Shimla District of Himachal Pradesh.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...aj8ZmFzUO.html

The accident occurred when the driver lost control over the bus while negotiating a curve and the bus fell by the river side 200 meters below . A passenger and the conductor of the bus are the only two persons who survived the mishap by jumping out of the bus moments before it plunged into the river. As per the eyewitness account the leaf spring on the rear axle broke which resulted in bus tilting towards the gorge.

Following is the video footage from the accident site. Viewer discretion is advised due to disturbing visuals.

youtube.com/watch?v=
89ApspywQRg

Note from Support:
Please copy paste the youtube link in your browser window.
The http part was deleted as the default image displayed was very disturbing.

Last edited by bblost : 20th April 2017 at 21:47. Reason: Broke up the youtube url. Explained in the post. Thanks.

Most Viewed