Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2017, 02:43   #23416
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Water tankers are not only dependent on Centre of Gravity, but also on Fluid Dynamics. The ballast tanks inside the shell actually have flow control doors or perforated walls which reduce the slosh. Thereby minimizing the instability due to turns. Perfect examples are Fire Engines which can do amazing turns and sharp moves yet retain straight line and can stop in few meters length without swinging off the path.
This is useful information. I thought those liquids were usually splashing about when turning! So they too have their own seat Belts!

I'm guessing oil and gas VLCC Panamax tankers too have an equivalent system. I think however that the fire trucks (in addition) have a much lower centre of gravity than your common bunk suppliers.

Plus diesel does not ignite easily. It burns when lit for sure. A match won't light it. During holi we put in some lighter fluid for the trigger.

But a diesel spill (in general) is a degree or two less combustible than petrol.
Old 5th May 2017, 09:27   #23417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post

Plus diesel does not ignite easily. It burns when lit for sure. A match won't light it. During holi we put in some lighter fluid for the trigger.

But a diesel spill (in general) is a degree or two less combustible than petrol.
Both petrol and diesel have lower values of auto ignition temperature compared to alternate fuels like LPG or CNG. Any fuel burns when lit. That implies that the chances of petrol and diesel catching fire without being lit are more compared to LPG or CNG. Consider a situation wherein a truck rams into the diesel tank of another truck or bus. The chances of both the vehicles being gutted are more due to lower auto ignition temperature of diesel.
In the case of LPG or CNG tanks for a similar situation, CNG being lighter than air will disperse into the atmosphere. But LPG is denser than air. If the amount of LPG is between 2%-10% by volume, chances of LPG catching fire due to heat source is more. Outside this range the LPG mixture will either be too lean or too rich to ignite.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 09:30   #23418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
This is useful information. I thought those liquids were usually splashing about when turning! So they too have their own seat Belts!

Might be going a bit off topic, but ... Baffles are needed to negate the free surface effect - see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_surface_effect

In the 1980's, a ferry sank as a result of this.

Also, a diesel spill on the road is not dangerous due to the danger of fire, but diesel degrades tarmac road surface very badly, leading to issues for other vehicles after the accident vehicles are moved away. You see, diesel is a pretty good solvent for tar!!
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 10:52   #23419
BHPian

8 die in freak accident near Vijaywada, Andhra Pradesh.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Old 5th May 2017, 11:08   #23420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Hopefully our next generation will make seat belts a habit rather than think of it as a nuisance.
That can only happen when either the Government by legislation or automobile companies by default make a system wherein the car would start only after buckling up.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 11:20   #23421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
According to the police who spoke to the media, the protruding logs didnt have reflectors either. RIP those unfortunate souls.
May they RIP.

However, even if you leave out the protruding logs which caused the deadly injuries (and led to the fatalities), the Innova was obviously at speeds much too high for the road and visibility conditions.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:50   #23422
BHPian

Driver of a TamilNadu State Transport Corporation owned bus plying on Dindigul-Madurai route lost control and rammed into a stationary lorry. This accident happened near Dindigul when it was travelling to Madurai. Local channels report that 6 persons lost their life and some are in critical condition in hospitals.

Photos in https://twitter.com/MaduraiConnect/s...60193233780736
Old 5th May 2017, 13:16   #23423
Senior - BHPian

I don't know this actress (Rekha Sindhu), but it seems she was popular on TV.

http://www.firstpost.com/entertainme...s-3425336.html

Edit: Apparently Pernambut is between Gudiyattam and Venkatagirikota.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th May 2017 at 13:20. Reason: Adding name...
Old 5th May 2017, 13:34   #23424
Distinguished - BHPian

CCTV footage of a school bus blasting through a bunch of pedestrians in Visakhapatnam, killing 1 and injuring 9 others.

RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 13:36   #23425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I don't know this actress (Rekha Sindhu), but it seems she was popular on TV.

http://www.firstpost.com/entertainme...s-3425336.html

Edit: Apparently Pernambut is between Gudiyattam and Venkatagirikota.
The link says Chennai-Bangalore highway but apparently Pernambut does not come in the highway path. I guess the driver took the interior roads
Old 5th May 2017, 13:46   #23426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The link says Chennai-Bangalore highway but apparently Pernambut does not come in the highway path. I guess the driver took the interior roads
Says she lives in Banaswadi, so I imagine they were taking Gudiyattam-Hoskote route to connect from NH 46 to NH 4.

Though like always, it is utter confusion among media sites whether she was on her way to Chennai or returning, the number of people in the vehicle, whether it hit another vehicle or a road structure, the time of the incident etc.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 13:57   #23427
BHPian

Both the accidents happened near Katni, MP. The biker seems to be completely unheeded while crossing a NH. Unfortunately he succumbed to his mistake.

Pferdestarke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 13:59   #23428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
8 die in freak accident near Vijaywada, Andhra Pradesh.
What was the 'freak' bit in the accident?
I guess it was the 8 people stuffed in the car., if at all , all the dead were from the car.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 14:28   #23429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
A friend of mine has acquired an extra buckle clip (without the belt) that he keeps clipped in all the time to silence the seat belt alarm. Apparently his cotton work clothes get crimpled because of the seat belts. He had a big speech about risk and risk mitigation. And how he mitigates risk by wearing seatbelts only while on national highways. When we met for coffee, people were calling him a genius, and I had to bite my tongue.
Hopefully our next generation will make seat belts a habit rather than think of it as a nuisance.
There is no point in making grown-ups see sense. Chances are their minds are already made up and they are not receptive to new ideas. Reverse psychology can sometimes work though.

Compliment him on his smartness and wish him luck, coz he really needs it.
Old 5th May 2017, 18:01   #23430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
P.S.: With water scarcity (due to lack of rains for many months), it is common now to see folks pumping/transporting water from the river.
Similar solution, hope it won't end up like the one you posted.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20170505-2.13.46-pm.jpeg
On a different note.
Yup, we are providing 500 liters daily from our well.
ecenandu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks