Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2017, 22:21   #23431
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
CCTV footage of a school bus blasting through a bunch of pedestrians in Visakhapatnam, killing 1 and injuring 9 others.
Looks bizarre. The bus was obviously speeding, but were the people crossing doing so at the right place? The traffic seems to be stopped on one side at a signal, but there should be a pedestrian crossing ....
Old 5th May 2017, 23:21   #23432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Looks bizarre. The bus was obviously speeding, but were the people crossing doing so at the right place? The traffic seems to be stopped on one side at a signal, but there should be a pedestrian crossing ....
Yeah, doesn't look like they were using zebra crossing. It looks like it's near a beach, and the Traveller went straight towards the barrier. Yeah, bizarre, indeed.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20170505-7.45.35-pm.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20170505-7.44.41-pm.png
Old 6th May 2017, 08:46   #23433
BHPian

Read this in news today morning.

Quote:
Kannada television actress and model Rekha Sindhu died in a car accident near Natrampalli in Vellore district, about 215 km from Chennai and 130 km from Bengaluru, on the small hours of Friday.

The 22-year-old was travelling in a car from Chennai to Bengaluru when her car crashed into the centre median on the Chennai-Bengaluru National Highway near Natrampallai around 1:30 am.

Police said R Abhishek Kumaran of Chengalpett was at the wheel. A report suggested that the actress was dating Abhishek Kumaran.

Police suspect the crash may have occurred because the driver dozed off at the wheel.

"The Nissan Sunny car crashed into the median and turned turtle near a Hanuman temple in Sunambukuttai. The actress who was sitting in the front seat suffered serious injuries including on the back of her head and died on the spot," police said.

The actress was reportedly returning to Bengaluru after a shoot in Chennai.

The other two people inside the car - including the driver - suffered serious injuries and were rushed to a hospital in Chennai.

Rekha's body was received by her brother Anand Prakash after postmortem at Thirupathur government hospital. Natrampalli police have registered a case.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-58528006.jpg

News Source: http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/

Image Source: Google
Old 6th May 2017, 23:48   #23434
BHPian

Yet another accident in front of my home on NH66. Happened around 9AM today morning. The NH section here is kinda wide 'C' shaped with both bends being almost blind. We are used to hearing tyres screeching on a daily basis as people take the blind curve way too fast and end up standing on their brakes. As usual, heard screeching, but it was followed by a loud crash and a thud. Ran out and saw this:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170506_095522.jpg

Heres the story:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident-06052017.jpg

Theres a small section, about 3-4 meters long, dug up on the NH for god knows what. And this section comes immediately after one of the blind turns, so sudden brakes are the norm. Interestingly, this section witnessed another accident a few months ago, which I posted on this very thread.

Now a lorry slows down for this dug up section and almost comes to a halt. A crazy impatient biker wildly swerves into the opposite lane to overtake, end up coming right in front of a Swift. The Swift guy swerves onto the gutter slabs to save this biker. But the slabs crack and the Swift is bounced back onto the road. Biker as usual, no helmets tries to ride away but is caught in the traffic a couple of meters ahead. Locals gather and bring him to the Swift. Driver and passenger (a kid) are unhurt, though shaken.

The crazy biker was a mechanic at Fortune Motors nearby. The wheel has jammed against the well.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170506_095756.jpg

Even with the jack maxed out, the wheel wouldn't budge.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170506_100125.jpg

There was an oil leak too. Closer look revealed that the wheel was bent outwards at a small angle. Shock springs were intact. The car was in no condition to be driven. There is an Indus Motors service centre around 2 kms away. Called them and asked for a tow. Huge traffic jam starts to form. Cops arrive soon but ask the two parties to sort it out, as they were trying to get to a bigger traffic jam in the town, due to the All Kerala Fish Merchants samsthana sammelanam being held here.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170506_100706.jpg

Sadly, we became prisoners in our home till noon as the traffic was slow to clear.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170506_100926.jpg
GeneralJazz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 09:05   #23435
BHPian

Saw this on the news, 1 dead and 4 injured. RIP
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0196.png
Ruchir031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 10:01   #23436
BHPian

In the morning, there was an accident between a truck and an Indica at the junction of Himagiri meadows and Bannerghatta​ road. It seems to be an overtaking gone wrong with the Indica trying to overtake the truck, while heading towards Gottigere. The truck swerved to avoid the Indica and ended up demolishing a part of the Himagiri road and the parapet, before ending up in the weeds.

Traffic was building up, however the cops were there in about 5 minutes and dispersed most of the backlog. There still seems to be minor backlog of gawkers and starers, but nothing major.

Though based on the angle of the truck, there might be a major jam, when they are trying to pull the truck out.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1494131090724.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1494131102150.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1494131114544.jpg  

Aiel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 10:17   #23437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
What does it say? Please translate.
Old 7th May 2017, 10:26   #23438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
... When we met for coffee, people were calling him a genius, and I had to bite my tongue.
Hopefully our next generation will make seat belts a habit rather than think of it as a nuisance.
I feel jittery when taking a cab that does not have a rear seat belt.

I make my wife take the rear or middle seat as the kid should not be on the front seat of an airbag equipped car. I always belt up even when driving to a shopping mall half a km away through narrow lanes.

Alas, safety must be ingrained. I have to teach this to my wife and my kid so that it becomes second nature to them.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 10:35   #23439
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1636702
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
What does it say? Please translate.
It says, an SUV fell in Hindon, 1 dead.

Not sure where it fell, and also, is that a Team BHP sticker I see on the back?
Old 7th May 2017, 10:45   #23440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
It says, an SUV fell in Hindon, 1 dead.

Not sure where it fell, and also, is that a Team BHP sticker I see on the back?
It seems to be, I was watching the news on the tv when it caught my eye. Tried searching everywhere but cannot find much details or articles regarding this accident.
Old 7th May 2017, 12:01   #23441
Senior - BHPian

Happened around 445 pm on May 5th@ NICE road, thanks to a dog which decided to cross the road all of a sudden !!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170505_165311544.jpg  

Old 7th May 2017, 12:09   #23442
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1636702
"SUV falls(in an accident) in Hindon. One person killed"(verbatim translation)
BTW, it looks like an LTD stickered SUV

Last edited by noopster : 9th May 2017 at 17:46. Reason: Added quoted post for more context
Old 7th May 2017, 21:26   #23443
Senior - BHPian

Witnessed a horrific accident past Satara before Umbraj today between 5 and 6 pm.

There has been a hailstorm and a heavy downpour, leading to waterlogging on the highway. As I was cruising along merrily, there is a WagonR tailing me. There is an ambulance tailing the WagonR. I clear out from the traffic and open a lead of a few seconds over the waggie. The ambulance is still far behind and everything is fine.

Then I notice a biker moving from the leftmost lane to the rightmost one - an almost disaster! I honk, honk and brake to allow him to get into the rightmost lane just as I see why.

There is a huge water body formed on the road and the only safe way for the biker is from the rightmost lane. There is a rickshaw in the middle lane, trundling along. As it enters the water, the biker passes it from the right and goes ahead, moving back to the left lane. As I enter the water body, with speed dropped, I see in my IRVM the Waggie which - seeing my car in the rightmost lane - decides to push ahead through the middle lane. Just when I pass the rickshaw I hear a thud and as I pull ahead and to the middle lane my worst fear has come true. The waggie has hit the rickshaw, has stopped, one of the men from the rickshaw tumbles outside and falls on the road and the poor vehicle careens off the track into the roadside, giving off ominous quantities of smoke.
I pull over safely to the side - I am now at least a hundred metres from the spot - and see the ambulance slow down and stop halfway between my car and the overturned rickshaw.

By now another woman from the rickshaw emerges on the road and looks injured. Following vehicles stop and people are rushing to help. I tentatively open my door, in two minds as to what I should do. Finally I shut the door and drive off. My wife and my daughter are blissfully unaware of the severity, and the fact that the waggie could have hit our car too. The hit occurred almost a foot or two to our left.

The ambulance didn't wait around much, it left before I did. I decided not to wait around as already people had started the rescue work.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 22:51   #23444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Happened around 445 pm on May 5th@ NICE road, thanks to a dog which decided to cross the road all of a sudden !!
This is why you never swerve when you encounter an animal in front of you. In all likeliness, the animal you hit may die but your manoeuvre might just kill somebody else on the road. It just isn't worth the risk.
createrkid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 08:29   #23445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Similar solution, hope it won't end up like the one you posted.
On a different note.
Yup, we are providing 500 liters daily from our well.
It would be great if you could educate this driver about the perils of driving with such tanks on bed. I am sure you would have seen such small vehicles used for sewage collection from Aircraft's in airport. They too do same job, but they have a proper tank built on their chassis.

Either your driver needs to drive slow with water up to the brim or rent a vehicle made for this purpose.

P.S. May we know what is the cause for your donation ?

Last edited by prithm : 8th May 2017 at 08:33. Reason: Grammar
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed