Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2017, 11:03   #23476
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Found this Amaze inside Bandipur forest road yesterday morning. The place this accident happened is between 2 speed breakers which are just 500 meter apart and very sparse traffic and good visibility ahead, wonder how such a crash happened.
How did this happen? Most likely, the most common cause of accidents in India - "driver error".
Roads through the Bandipur forest are littered with speed breakers, and for good reason. Authorities require people to drive sedately through the forest. However, car drivers frequently try out 0-100-0 tests on the stretches between speed breakers. Speed breakers are also seen as overtaking opportunities - by way of out-dragging another vehicle.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 11:09   #23477
BHPian

Quote:
Found this Amaze inside Bandipur forest road yesterday morning. The place this accident happened is between 2 speed breakers which are just 500 meter apart and very sparse traffic and good visibility ahead, wonder how such a crash happened.
It's a Dzire, can be confirmed by looking at the front door badging and Suzuki alloys. I have driven on this road and didn't will to go anywhere above 45-50kmh, looks like the Dzire was doing a lot more than that and an overtake attempt gone horribly wrong. Hope for the passengers to be safe.
Old 15th May 2017, 11:17   #23478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
This appears as Maruti Dzire to me, the colour and the damages cover the identity of the car a lot...I know the spot, One would enjoy driving less than 35-40 kms/hr in tune with the serenity around but may not be the case with a few.
You are right, its DZire, not Amaze. Not sure why i typed Amaze, but Dzire was in my mind
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 11:42   #23479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/newsD...?newsID=451660

Attachment 1639056

Vehicle seems to be lying on the opposite lane in some videos. Mostly a case of overtaking gone wrong, or the driver of the scorpio dozed off. Most likely the latter, due to the long and tiresome journey they have taken up, and he took 6 innocent others with him.
How many similar accidents have we been seeing- cars being eaten up by the mammoth trucks. Just the cars and people who perish changes, the kind of accident continues.
The trucker would be wrong only if it was he who came up the wrong side and hit the Scorpio head-on, which I doubt in this case. It certainly doesn't seem so in this scenario. In all other possibilities it's the Scorpio guy totally at fault.

Very ghastly. May their souls rest in peace.

Still, hard to digest that people have the sense to cram so many of his own family into one unsafe car in the first place(these people look well-to-do and educated but apparently car safety ratings don't matter much to them). Why, this model is not even safe enough for 5 people, if I'm not mistaken. In small towns people don't take all this seriously.

Not wanting any brand bashing here, but in all practicality, I, personally believe that the Scorpio is the most un-dynamic and wallowy car that I have ever come across and I would never personally have anyone, not even my enemies to be travelling in one on our highways, or any highway for that matter. Please note, this is my strong personal opinion and not all may agree to it but that's the way it is.

You can go and cross-check anywhere. Anyone caught in the wrong foot in one, cannot end up in any other situation except all dead situation. No two ways in this vehicle.

Coming to this particular incident, we don't yet know really what happened so I don't want to comment on who's fault, hence sounding like just another senseless ranting guy without any facts, but my views on the Scorpio stand firm.
Old 15th May 2017, 12:12   #23480
Senior - BHPian

Let me repeat: every car is only as safe as the driver driving it.

On my recent drive from Kolhapur to Mumbai I had a Dzire loaded to the gills with people and luggage being driven at 100+ speeds by a driver who wasn't belted trying to overtake everyone left and right.

So unless the driver understands and follows safety, no car in the world will be safe enough. Let's try not to compensate the driver's idiocy with the car's safety features.

PS: on the topic of the Scorpio - we have a member such as the HVK who has driven his Scorpio for a few lakh miles and hasn't had an accident like this. Talks a lot about who is driving the car.

Last edited by honeybee : 15th May 2017 at 12:14.
honeybee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 13:50   #23481
BHPian

Quote:
May be overtaking gone wrong? I crossed Bandipur yesterday at around 10-30 AM but did not see this. Where was this exactly?
Old 15th May 2017, 14:03   #23482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My guess was the Dzire driver missed seeing the speedbreaker and jumped it, which would have most probably made him loose control and hit the truck.

Looking at the trucks position , the truck driver must have seen this coming and tried to avoid the car.

I once missed a speedbreaker here in the dark and hit it at around 50-60kmph. I was sure something would have broken in the car. Thankfully apart from shaken passengers, only the mobile holder broke.
Old 15th May 2017, 14:14   #23483
BHPian

http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/car-f...-lateststories

"NEW DELHI: Two college students were killed and five badly hurt when a car fell off a flyover in Punjabi Bagh in west Delhi this morning. The seven students were on their way to an exam, say the police.

The students in the car, a Honda City, were all from the Delhi Institute of Professional Studies and Research. The car was allegedly being driven at a very high speed and the student at the wheel lost control."

I just wish people start connecting the dots between rash driving and their lives. I somehow feel that some people just are not ready to accept that accidents kill and they might die one day. May the force be with the families.
Old 15th May 2017, 14:23   #23484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
May be overtaking gone wrong? I crossed Bandipur yesterday at around 10-30 AM but did not see this. Where was this exactly?
This was on Bathery - Gundlupet road, 10 minutes before the Gundlupet side checkpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My guess was the Dzire driver missed seeing the speedbreaker and jumped it, which would have most probably made him loose control and hit the truck.

Looking at the trucks position , the truck driver must have seen this coming and tried to avoid the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
How did this happen? Most likely, the most common cause of accidents in India - "driver error".

Speed breakers are also seen as overtaking opportunities - by way of out-dragging another vehicle.
All are possible causes, I checked with the mechanic who was attending the Truck and he wasnt aware of the situation of passengers.

There is another possible reason - DUI. Lot of people travel from Kozhikode/Malappuram/Wayanad district to Gundlupet to buy Alcohol.

There was an Innova which overtook me in front of the Gundlupet fire station on my way to Kozhikode. It was driven very rashly and I noticed the car was full of very young people. The driver veered out of the road on a curve and hit a tree inside the forest. When I reached the spot around 3-4 minutes after the accident, those people were trying to push the car back to road; and most of them cannot even stand on their own.

I left the scene after watching the fun for 2 minutes, didnt think its a good idea to leave the family in the company of some drunkards inside a dense forest! (Time was around 9:10 PM)
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 14:31   #23485
BHPian

This is a tragic freak accident.

Bike rams into Skoda, kills class 1 child

The freaky/tragic part of this accident is that the child was inside the Octavia and died when the bike's wheel broke through the windshield and struck him! Maybe the car was old for the glass to give way like this.

RIP.
DriverR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 17:55   #23486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
This is a tragic freak accident.

Bike rams into Skoda, kills class 1 child

The freaky/tragic part of this accident is that the child was inside the Octavia and died when the bike's wheel broke through the windshield and struck him! Maybe the car was old for the glass to give way like this.

RIP.
Very tragic. I'm not sure how the family will ever come to terms with this loss.
Someone has to say this and I say it with sadness - Kids in the front seat without a seat belt is not safe​.
(I know that this particular incident had a freak aspect in that the bike apparently went through the windshield as per the news article. )
Old 15th May 2017, 20:58   #23487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Speed thrills but kills. Two students were killed and five badly hurt after their Honda City car rammed a divider in west Delhi's Punjabi Bagh. The car was flung in the air, after which it crashed through the side of the flyover and landed below on its roof.
The Honda City is a car for maximum of five people and even that is a stretch (same for any and all sedans), seating seven in it is an automatic risk which each of the passengers should assume. Now I wouldn't go about guessing the speeds or determine what exactly happened, I don't know that but I do know that for a car to go over a divider and turn turtle several meters away, one should be doing highly illegal speeds, otherwise the inertia created by the divider should've been enough to stop the car.

7 in a 5-seater car is the equivalent of triple/quadruple riding on a bike, there simply isn't enough space or facilities to accommodate those extra people comfortably and safely. Honda City is big in Delhi and so is rash driving (last time I saw a 12-13 year old kid driving an Endeavour fast in Delhi knocking over 2 parked bikes).

Its always the drivers responsibility to care for the passengers of the car and take adequate precaution for their safety, short of that and given a disastrous combination of overloading, over-speeding and over-maneuvering, it never was meant to end well. Hope one day, some motorists get it.
Old 15th May 2017, 21:42   #23488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

... apparently car safety ratings don't matter much to them). .. this model is not even safe enough.

the Scorpio is the most un-dynamic and wallowy car that I have ever come across
You can go and cross-check anywhere. Anyone caught in the wrong foot in one, cannot end up in any other situation except all dead situation. No two ways in this vehicle.

...my views on the Scorpio stand firm.
The Scorpio (like all SUVs) has a very high center of gravity that makes it relatively dynamically less stable (compared to Sedans).

Most people are not aware of the stability limitations of SUV/MUVs and drive them at very high speeds recklessly without realising that SUVs can topple/overturn/go out of control relatively more easily at higher speeds. People driving SUVs have to realize its stability limitations and drive them slower.

The Scorpio has directly ploughed into the chassis of the truck which is extremely rigid and resistant to deformation, even the glass panes of the truck has not shattered.
Agree that the Scorpio is old-gen in terms of passive safety features, but in this scenario the end result after impact with that deadly chassis of the truck would have been similar/catastrophic for any other Car/SUV. The bonnet would simply slide under the truck and the full impact taken by the pillars which no car/SUV is designed to withstand.

In the "developed" world, regulations in place to ensure that the Chassis and bumper height of trucks/heavy vehicles is significantly lower and better matched with the bumper/impact height of the typical cars/SUVs, so that the car/SUV can take the impact on its front rather than directly on its pillars and has a fair chance to engage its passive safety features to safeguard the occupants.

Hope people/enforcers in our country realize the same and such important regulations are put in place without further delay, to lower the bumper height of heavy vehicles to better match the smaller vehicles.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 15th May 2017 at 21:58.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 22:52   #23489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Found this Amaze inside Bandipur forest road yesterday morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar
This appears as Maruti Dzire to me.
It's a Maruti Dzire. The Chrome Strip on Front Grill has "S". Also the Black Door Strip on Driver's Door has its name on it as well.
Old 16th May 2017, 08:37   #23490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post

RIP.
Quite a freak accident. I think the bike must have climbed over the car's hood and then straight into the windshield, which means that the speed should be pretty high. But climbing over the hood is pretty unbelievable. I would visualize the bike toppling over and the rear wheel entering the windshield, which again should be controlled since the front windshield will be laminated and toughened. I suspect the windshield was not the OE windshield that came with the car compared to the age factor since glass doesnt age. Laminated glass can give way too, but the damage would be controlled, not so intense to reach a small child sitting on the passenger seat. To add to this, if the child which was already in the wrong place was not wearing seat belts, then this situation is pretty grave since the child would have come close to the windshield due to the sudden deceleration. That joins the dots.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed