Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2017, 20:57   #23521
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Another (speeding ?) accident killing 3 people in Mumbai Ambernath-
Looking at the walls, the road looks downhill. We don't know what happened before the truck entered the cam, though.
Torqy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 23:02   #23522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yeah like today :( bangalore - turning sharp right into a t junction and suddenly see a long tailback of cars with the last one a few feet ahead of you because some fool decided to cross the road suddenly I guess.

Coming at 20 kmph and quickly but .. the pic speaks for itself
Was this a blind turn? I am not able to understand how this happened! And if that damage was at 20 kmph, doesn't that talk of Honda's build quality?
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 06:18   #23523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Was this a blind turn? I am not able to understand how this happened! And if that damage was at 20 kmph, doesn't that talk of Honda's build quality?
It is a t junction and fairly blind yes.

The amaze build quality is best described as paper thin, even though it's a fun car to drive.
Old 19th May 2017, 08:22   #23524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Is it just me, or is there indeed a surge in the number of cases where people/vehicles fall off a flyover? This is the second one this week (the Delhi kids on Monday was the other).

Does it say anything about the (lack of) safety features on our city flyovers?
There was one very interesting case in chennai a few years back where a cylinder full of AC gas being carried by a mechanic riding pillion on a scooter was dropped from atop a flyover.

It fell against the wall of a nearby office building and exploded, causing quite a lot of the building's windows to shatter.
Old 19th May 2017, 08:50   #23525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Another (speeding ?) accident killing 3 people in Mumbai Ambernath-

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/v...w/58728215.cms
This driver needs to be caught, and tried for murder ! this was not an accident, and the driver did not slow down even for a moment - which certainly means he wasn't surprised by the impact.

Only saving grace - the two people on the bike had the presence of mind to go off the road and stop, to avoid getting hit by that moron driving the truck. If not it would have taken the count to 5 !
Old 19th May 2017, 09:58   #23526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
What is that man doing in the middle of the road, just after the turn?
The man is standing on top of the rocks. The camera angle makes it looks like he is on the road.
Old 19th May 2017, 10:32   #23527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Oh my God, it is brutal! What was the truck driver thinking. He did not even slow down. He also seemed to be speeding in the narrow lane.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
this was not an accident, and the driver did not slow down even for a moment
Looks a bit like brake failure / ineffective brakes to me...

Maybe he started off too fast on the downhill, and then couldn't reign it in.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2017 at 10:37.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:01   #23528
Team-BHP Support

If that truck had a full load of concrete in the mixer, no brakes in the world would've stopped that much momentum without incident at short notice, not that trucks are handling-friendly even when empty.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:06   #23529
BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

A few months ago my Duster AWD was involved in a 7 car pile up on the west-bound Patlipada flyover on the Godbunder road, Thane. It happened on a weekend about 7:30 pm.

I had been tailing a white Rapid from the previous signal at steady speeds of ~ 40 KMPH and he had a red Getz ahead of him. On the flyover incline we were just beginning to pick up speed when one biker suddenly came in front of the Getz to overtake a rickshaw in the second lane. The Getz screeched, slowed to let the biker pass, and continued. But the Rapid ahead of me screeched to a halt.

We were ~50 KMPH and about 2 car-lengths away when I floored the clutch and break pedals. ABS shudder kicked in and I think the vehicle stopped in the next 3-4 seconds. I couldn't immediately tell at that point if I had hit the Rapid.

But I can recall a few details from those few seconds:
  • I recall flooring the clutch and break pedals together.
  • Instinctively eyed the rearview mirror and saw that the headlamps of a silver Swift were too close for comfort - somewhere my mind was bracing for impact at the rear.
  • Then glanced further left towards my wife, who thankfully was aware and was bracing for possible impact (I never roll without passenger wearing seatbelts).
  • The Duster, lightly loaded with some groceries in the back, shuddered a few times with the ABS kicking in.
  • The flicker of ABS light on dashboard drew my attn to the instrument panel, I think I was still at >30 KMPH at that point.
  • When the Duster stopped, but I wasn't sure if I had nudged the Rapid in front of me (later I realize I may have mistook the ABS shudder for bumping into the Rapid).
  • Within fraction of a second after that, I felt the Swift hitting me. Then there were three more jolts. First I thought I had slotted into the wrong higher gear in panic instead of putting in neutral.
Didn't move for a few seconds, asked wife if she was OK - she said she was. She was more worried about damage to her dearest Duster.

Looked at the rear view, I could tell the Swift had a lot of people and then a fluidic Verna behind it (you can also make that out in the pic). Killed the engine, pulled the hand brake, turned on the hazard lights, took the key out, I got out asking wife to stay in. I walked toward the Rapid driver ahead and asked him if he was OK. In reply he accused me of ramming into him and damaging his vehicle. Irritated, I told him he had panic-braked and I tried my best to stop.

Then I walked back and looked at the front of the Duster - there was a gap of at least an inch between it and the Rapid - no contact! Pointed it to the guy.
Then walked further back to witness the carnage behind the Duster. Five other cars had run into each other, starting from behind Duster - Swift, Verna, Octavia, Altis, and one more that I didn't bother to identify. There was a dent on the Duster's tail gate below the rear number plate (seen in the pic). At this point returned to pick my cell phone and took a few snaps.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pic2.jpg

The three jolts were the impact of three cars behind the Swift ramming into each other transmitted right through. The Verna had two ladies, both were apparently not wearing seat belts and were hurt, the passenger banged her head on the windshield. I could see bonnets of all four cars crumpled to different extents.

Tempers flared - the Swift driver and a lady from the Verna were already manhandling the Rapid driver. I and a few others separated them, asking to be calm - no point in hitting each other (only results in claims and counter claims with the police).

The Rapid driver soon drove away. I looked under the Duster - no leaking fluids. Then moved the Duster a few meters ahead to give other vehicles some space. Opened the tail gate without any problem. Rear bumper was scratched at a few places. I have a rear parking camera installed on the rear bumper, which had popped out a few millimeters. Went in and slotted into the reverse - no rear view so some damage to the camera.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pic3.jpg

The Swift had a family - 5 adults and 2 kids - all had stepped out. It had bore the brunt of the collisions - bonnet severely crumpled and smoking, rear severely dented. The toddler in the rear seat had popped out of a lady's hands and banged against the front seat head rest. He was crying inconsolably, but no visible wounds. They were worried about the car and getting home. Asked the Swift guy to call Paramount in Mira Road (dealer) for advice on insurance.

I never understand this psyche - the Swift driver and his wife were adamant they want to continue driving the damaged vehicle to reach home in Bhayandar! She said they were returning from a day trip to Shirdi (how velocitized would he be at that point - I was wondering?). Whoever they contacted on phone apparently advised them to bring in the vehicle to the showroom and they wanted to drive in that condition!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pic1.jpg

I looked underneath the Swift to see if there was any fluid leaking - I couldn't tell if it was just some water drops from the AC or more. Again told the guy better to take a taxi. But he had already cranked the engine and moved a few feet. He said car felt OK to drive. I told him to drive slowly till he gets off the flyover and clear the traffic behind (which stretched as far as I could see behind the pile up and some idiots on the east-bound lane had stopped to watch the 'tamasha'), but not to drive another 25+ KMs to his home. I offered to drop the women and the kids since I lived only a couple of Kms away. Reluctantly they boarded the Duster. I drove move cautiously than usual for the rest of the road but the Swift driver with the other male passenger in their thrashed vehicle had reach Paramount ahead of me driving at 70+ speeds!

Somewhere on the way, one of the ladies quipped that I should have installed front and rear bull bars to protect the Duster. I mustered a smile.
subuiyer is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 12:13   #23530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
+

Looks a bit like brake failure / ineffective brakes to me...

Maybe he started off too fast on the downhill, and then couldn't reign it in.
You can see that the passenger side of the truck door opened. Not sure what happened here..
raghuram.cg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 12:28   #23531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
We were ~50 KMPH and about 2 car-lengths away when I floored the clutch and break pedals.
During an emergency braking situation, don't depress the clutch fully, you will lose engine braking. It's similar to putting the car into neutral and braking!

Related Team-BHP Discussion: LINK (Shifting to Neutral or Pressing the Clutch when Braking - Is this right?)

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2017 at 12:49. Reason: Adding link for further reading/discussion. :)
esoticoreventon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 12:53   #23532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
You can see that the passenger side of the truck door opened. Not sure what happened here..
It's possible that on seeing things get out of control, the passenger 'abandoned ship'.

Quite a common thing for drivers / cleaners to jump out of trucks when they begin to lose control -- especially on hilly routes.
Old 19th May 2017, 15:46   #23533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
It's possible that on seeing things get out of control, the passenger 'abandoned ship'.
I dont think anyone abandoned the truck there. Even the truck driver and cleaner died as the truck crashed into a swamp at the end of the road.

Ambarnath, my hometown, is infamous for such accidents. Many parts there are hilly roads and accidents happen because of improper signage and speed breakers, narrow lanes, and corner to corner buildings that don't let you know of traffic beyond the intersection.

My understanding is that the truck was full and avoided the police checkpost on the main road to avoid paying money/bribes and took the alternate road. Inertia force caused the accident.
avingodb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 17:34   #23534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
During an emergency braking situation, don't depress the clutch fully, you will lose engine braking. It's similar to putting the car into neutral and braking!
Don't depress the clutch pedal at all. Don't even touch the clutch pedal.

In theory, of course, one depresses the clutch just before the car stops. But this is an emergency stop. It's an emergency! If you do stall, nobody is going to laugh at you.

You need every ounce of braking power you can get right up to the last moment. Especially if your emergency stop wasn't actually successful.

If you have time to change down, fine. But in that case, it wasn't that much of an emergency
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 19:25   #23535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
We were ~50 KMPH and about 2 car-lengths away when I floored the clutch and break pedals.
Practice this in an empty parking lot or any ground: take your car upto speed, then release the accelerator, get a feel of the engine braking and squeeze the brake pedal in try getting a feel of it (this will prevent the need for abs to kick in early which is a good thing because if it kicks in too early it drastically increases your stopping distance) when the revs drop too low, quickly engage and disengage the clutch to shift to a lower gear and finally into neutral when you have stopped. Use the clutch only to shift gears or when the car is about to stall, to shift into a lower gear. Spend atleast one hour every now and then whenever you are free doing this and you will get the hang of driving without overly relying on the clutch.

The immediate effective benefits of this as you will notice yourself (yes there is a drastic benefit), is that you will have more braking power due to the combined stopping force of the brakes and the engine braking, you will be able to stop in less distance, which in this case would have helped you to dab the brakes just to engage the brake lights and flash them as a warning to the person behind you before you fully deploy all braking power (what I always do in the event of an impending rear-ending). The car will also feel more taut when in gear. To give you an example, try going at 60kmph in 3rd (or 2nd if the revs permit) and steer zig-zag (making sure the road is empty ofcourse) then try going at the same speed in 6th and do the same maneuver and see how much more roll there is and how lazy the car feels to shift direction. Now imagine how much worse it would be in neutral which is exactly how it is like when you engage the clutch. So effectively, in such a situation or a similar one, you will have better evasive cornering abilities as well. You can change direction more precisely and quickly if the need arises.

Long term benefits would be longer replacement cycle for brake pads and rotors as there is reduced dependence and wear on them, as well as better clutch life. All in all a win-win wouldn't you say?

You don't have to take my word for any of this, please practice what I told you to try out and trust me if you actually do, you will pm me saying how much more confidence you have gained from god knows where behind the wheel

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th May 2017 at 19:30.
IshaanIan is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed