Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2017, 15:32   #23611
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I don't think the biker saw the slow moving three wheeler as the car was directly in between his line of sight.
He should have seen it.

Overtaking should be done only when it is clear to do so. That involves planning more than one vehicle ahead. And if one doesn't know, then don't overtake.

Not only was the overtake done when the biker should have anticipated the car ahead moving to the right, it was done in the face of the oncoming biker. wrong, wrong and double wrong. Generally, overtaking on a two-lane road, in the face of another vehicle, even if it looks as if there is room, is just wrong. Simply: wait a few seconds or stay behind.

Quote:
Its important for anyone to watch their mirrors when changing lanes. I am sure even we car drivers are guilty of the same as we don't imagine there can be someone one driving so fast that they'll overtake us when we are trying to overtake another vehicle.
This is true too. One should not pull out without making that check. Awareness of the road behind is also vitally important.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 17:28   #23612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
He should have seen it.
To add to that, even if the biker hypothetically could not see the mini truck, as soon as the car he was trying to overtake started moving rightwards, it was time for him to abandon his overtake maneuver. If the vehicle ahead of you is moving rightwards, that is absolutely the worst time to attempt an overtake.
mustang_shelby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 17:50   #23613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
If the vehicle ahead of you is moving rightwards, that is absolutely the worst time to attempt an overtake.
Absolutely right. That is simple common sense but what is observed on the road is simply the opposite nowadays. If a bike intends to overtake a car and if that car starts pulling out to overtake a rickshaw in front, then most often than not, the biker will move along side the car thus dividing the car driver's attention between oncoming vehicles, the vehicle that he is overtaking and now this biker that wants to overtake him at any cost. Even rickshaws follow this pattern. A good recipe for an accident.

On the other hand, I have also experienced this - I am overtaking a car or any other 4 wheeler and I am now parallel to the vehicle. This is the exact moment that the driver chooses for moving out and forcing me to either speed up or give up on the overtake and stay back.
Old 26th May 2017, 18:33   #23614
Distinguished - BHPian

Catching up with a biker at the signal we both soon reached (at least he stopped at the red), I pointed out the danger of having overtaken me just as I was pulling out around a parked truck. I'm usually fairly polite, and point out that my paintwork really doesn't matter as much as their legs, head, life, and support for their family.

He said, "Yeah... I know.... But I'm ten minutes late."

Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 19:17   #23615
BHPian

Quote:
Catching up with a biker at the signal we both soon reached (at least he stopped at the red), I pointed out the danger of having overtaken me just as I was pulling out around a parked truck. I'm usually fairly polite, and point out that my paintwork really doesn't matter as much as their legs, head, life, and support for their family.

On the Other hand I have observed that bikers tend to become more aggresive when i point out that they might lose a limb or support of their family.

Now a days, I simply let these type of humans be to themselves, sooner or later fate will catch up with them and their tactics.

Personal rule, no more giving gyan to these bikers

Regards
Ritesh
Dieseltuned is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 19:29   #23616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds lame saying this; but next time someone comes up with this explanation, remind him that It is better to be Mister Late than Late Mister.

On a serious note, lack of punctuality is a major reason for bad/dangerous driving on Indian roads.

Many people drive aggressively because they think they can reach their destination faster that way. People are hard pressed for time and try to extract the maximum out of our roads. Leaving the house a couple of minutes early can have a calming effect and prevent a lot of accidents.

When I was in 8th standard, I happened to reach my classroom a couple of minutes after the bell had rung. I told the teacher that i came running to the classroom but was delayed because i had torn my slippers while running and hence she had to let me in. Her answer was simple, straight and hard hitting. She said:
Quote:
You are not late because of the torn slippers. You tore the slippers because you were late. Had you started in time, you would not have had to run in a hurry. Your slippers would have been intact and you would be inside the classroom by now.
dailydriver is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 21:53   #23617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
Looks more like a Mahindra KUV from the pictures
Yes it is. A taxi version.
Old 28th May 2017, 19:38   #23618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Clearly the bikers fault! The cammer luckily managed to control his bike. Looks like the biker that crashed had not strapped his helmet, lucky for him it flew off only after saving his head.

Looks like a case of target fixation, he seems to have froze seeing the Innova and hits rear brakes and skids straight into the Innova.

I owned NS200 for almost a year before moving on to CBR250ABS. NS rear brakes are holy crap. Before even you really have the adrenaline rush to press hard, it starts skidding already. I have no surprise when I saw this accident happen where the bike did not give a chance to the rider.

I remember my initial 500kms on the TVS tyres were very scary. First time in life I started using riding gears ONLY because of this even for an office commute! Later moved on to Michellins but improvement was marginal. That bike has an inherent rear skidding issue, probably a weight transfer issue to the front too. And the saddest part - RS came with only front ABS
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 20:58   #23619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
I owned NS200 for almost a year before moving on to CBR250ABS. NS rear brakes are holy crap. Before even you really have the adrenaline rush to press hard, it starts skidding already. I have no surprise when I saw this accident happen where the bike did not give a chance to the rider.
It is not about the brakes. The rider was too fast for that curve/his skill level. He wouldnt have missed the innova even if he had abs. He could have saved the crash by just leaning a bit more, ie by avoiding target fixation.

We go where we look at. Many riders dont realise it before pushing their limits.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th May 2017 at 20:59.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 10:39   #23620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not about the brakes. The rider was too fast for that curve/his skill level. He wouldnt have missed the innova even if he had abs
Disagree. An ABS would have easily saved. Thats why we want every bike with ABS. A skilled rider may not even need brakes because he is skilled to survive. On the other hand ABS is must for morons so their mistake is not pronounced and the bike tries to compensate for the nincompoop'ness of the rider.

Last edited by VW2010 : 29th May 2017 at 10:40.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 13:30   #23621
Senior - BHPian

A baleno crash. 1 passenger died inspite of airbags being deployed
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-balleno-crash.jpg
Link
Old 29th May 2017, 15:19   #23622
Senior - BHPian

This is an article that has been circulated in whatsapp group during the last day. Pardon me others, this is in Malayalam. I am not sure about the credibility of the information provided in this article nor the authenticity of the author. The only genuineness it can claim is that it was published in the leading and reputed newspaper of Kerala.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20170528-10.21.59-pm.jpeg

I will try to give a short context of what it is about for those who cannot read it. Please ignore and excuse if it is too much off-topic.

Quote:
The article titles “Malayalis to yamaloka via Tamil Nadu”. It highlights the numerous accidents that had happened in Tamil Nadu in the recent past in which the people or families killed are primarily Keralites. As per the statistics, Between 2004 and 2017, 337 Keralites have been killed in accidents in TN. Mostly the people involved are families travelling on pilgrimage, be it to spots such as Pazhani, Velankanni, Nagur etc. Be it places like Salem, Erode, Trichy, Thirunelveli, Madura etc, it is mostly the Keralite families who are being wiped out in ghastly accidents. Is this a scam or is there a lobby behind this, asks the author? The targets are primarily the group of people on pilgrimage who are bound to carry good amounts of currencies, and also will be adorned with gold ornaments. The accidents tends to be in similar fashions, where a truck or heavy vehicle rams on to a car. The isolated stretches where they takes place, the valuables of the departed souls that never seem to be returned to their relatives, the undisclosed identity of the truck drivers, the careless attitude of the police in registering the FIRs and closing the cases by putting the blame on the perished car drivers, the ambulance lobby, the coffin makers that makes use of this opportunity, etc are the attributes that the author brings on to this topic.
Hmm.. Quite interesting!!
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 15:43   #23623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Pardon me others, this is in Malayalam. I am not sure about the credibility of the information provided in this article nor the authenticity of the author. The only genuineness it can claim is that it was published in the leading and reputed newspaper of Kerala.
The author is a reporter in Mathrubhumi. That column is a long-running one.

But the article is very speculative and offensive if not downright libellous. He is accusing the denizens of villages all the way from Erode to Tirunelveli of staging accidents of Keralite pilgrims, with not an iota of proof to offer. Superlatives and statistics have been used without any basis. I think as a responsible site, this should be taken down and re-posted if it actually becomes newsworthy.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 15:51   #23624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
This is an article that has been circulated in whatsapp group during the last day. ...
I too received this as a forward. Read a bit and dismissed as some reporter letting his/her imagination wild. The numbers mentioned are indeed alarming, but I will attribute it to sleep deprived and tired drivers who end up driving long stretches. Adding to this the possibility that some of the drivers who are not used to interstate trips might commit mistakes while driving on high speed 6 lane highways one comes across in TN.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th February 2019 at 07:55. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 29th May 2017, 16:02   #23625
Distinguished - BHPian

That article is foolish. I have seen so many KL and KA registered vehicles being driven so rashly on the supersmooth highways from Trichy to Tanjore (to Vailankanni).

The roads in TN are wide and well laid, that new comers dont mind going hard on the gas. And another important factor is the fatigue. Imagine, it takes 4 hours for us to go to vailankanni from Trichy, if you are driving from Kerala, even to reach trichy you would have atleast driven 8 hours.

Good roads + high speeds + fatigue = not at all a good combination.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 29th May 2017 at 16:05.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed