Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2017, 16:09   #23626
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw a brezza that rear ended a parked trailer on a 6 lane road. The left size airbag was deployed and there was footwell intrusion. People were claiming that it had rolled over couple of times after impact.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170528_064250.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170528_064258.jpg  

shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 16:27   #23627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
A baleno crash. 1 passenger died inspite of airbags being deployed
Yes the airbags were deployed, but do airbags guarantee that one will walk out of a crash alive and unhurt? So many factors decide what happens to the passengers in the event of a crash. Were they belted? What was the speed of the vehicle? It helps to exercise maximum caution on the roads, but sadly no one seems to bother! But yes, I do have my suspicion on the relative safety of the new Baleno.
esoticoreventon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 16:40   #23628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Yes the airbags were deployed, but do airbags guarantee that one will walk out of a crash alive and unhurt? So many factors decide what happens to the passengers in the event of a crash.
Relax mate. My one liner exactly meant this. Just airbags dont guarantee absolute safety and this crash was testimony to that. This topic has been discussed to death here(on TBHP) and hence, I assumed it wasn't required to pen down the obvious explicitly

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
But yes, I do have my suspicion on the relative safety of the new Baleno.
We all share that thought.

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th May 2017 at 16:44.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 17:16   #23629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Disagree. An ABS would have easily saved. Thats why we want every bike with ABS. A skilled rider may not even need brakes because he is skilled to survive. On the other hand ABS is must for morons so their mistake is not pronounced and the bike tries to compensate for the nincompoop'ness of the rider.
Is ABS magic? Can it stop a person from driving straight into something?

I don't think it can compensate for that much nincompoop'ness
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 17:41   #23630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Disagree. An ABS would have easily saved. Thats why we want every bike with ABS. A skilled rider may not even need brakes because he is skilled to survive. On the other hand ABS is must for morons so their mistake is not pronounced and the bike tries to compensate for the nincompoop'ness of the rider.
Can you explain in detail how ABS would have prevented that accident from happening? I own an RC390 with ABS and I feel what PrasannaDhana was saying is absolutely right. ABS or not, if you brake in a corner your bike will want to stand up. The only way for him to have prevented that accident is either not carry so much speed into the curve or lean in more.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 17:57   #23631
Senior - BHPian

This was shared in FAcebook by a friend.

Quote:
Ford Aspire Crashes after being crumpled between two trucks.

In this particular case, there was this Ford Aspire following a container lorry which braked hard to avoid a cyclist. The Aspire is said to have stopped well in time, but the container which followed the car could not stop in time and car got crushed between two containers. As brutal and disturbing as it sounds, all 5 of the adult occupants survived this crash with just minor injuries.

Read more at: http://www.thrustzone.com/ford-aspir...board-survive/
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fordaspirecrashmadurai1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fordaspirecrashmadurai2.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th May 2017 at 13:34. Reason: Adding quote
arjithin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 18:13   #23632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
This is an article that has been circulated in whatsapp group during the last day.

Attachment 1643491

I will try to give a short context of what it is about for those who cannot read it. Please ignore and excuse if it is too much off-topic.

Hmm.. Quite interesting!!
Absolute crap in the way the article is written and hints at a darker motive behind the accidents. Few simple reasons

1. Drivers from Kerala are used to ripping on 2 lane highways but not used to driving on the 4-6 lane expressways. So lack of familiarity on these roads with an intent to experiment with speeds on these roads is one factor. All one has to do is take an inter-state KeSRTC / TNSTC / KaSRTC journey to know. The TNSTC / KaSRTC drivers are at home on the 4 lane toll roads but struggle to maintain any good speed within 2 lane roads of Kerala. The reverse for KeSRTC folks who are experts in the curvy narrow roads in Kerala but not exactly at home driving at triple digit speeds on these GQs

2. Most of these pilgrimage / marriage trips are undertaken on commercial vehicles, usually private mini buses or TTs, and none on T-BHP needs to be educated on the driving patterns of these morons on yellow boards. I recall reading a humorous article some years back on these vehicles that routinely go to Palani, Sabarimala etc and how the author made a statement of how these pilgrims go in search of God and quite often, do end up with God. No offence meant

3. Lastly, Fatigue, as someone pointed out, as it does take a few hours to get into TN from Kerala and after encountering narrow roads for a bulk of the distance, one does get motivated to use a heavy right foot to reach the destination fast and then you end up in a bad situation
aroonanand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 18:55   #23633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
This accident happened near Mysore on a state highway and was caught on my dashcam.
Oh man. This is terribly scary; and a driver's nightmare.

A hypothetical scenario I'm scared to even imagine is, what if:

- You didn't have a dashcam to prove that you were nowhere related to this accident. Better sense would have eventually prevailed but by then, your peace of mind would have gone for a toss and cops would take some chai-paani just for the trouble you caused them

- Unfortunately, you were incapable of avoiding running him over, what is your role/liability in the accident. Worse, if you didn't have a dashcam

I've seen a car run over a drunk guy who in the process of crossing the road, tripped over the divider and fell on the road a fraction of a second before the car went by.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3890397
Old 29th May 2017, 19:56   #23634
BHPian

Accident in sec 17 Vashi, Navi Mumbai. Bus driver jumps the signal merrily. Vento/Jetta looks like it was trying to beat the signal, couldn't brake in time and T-boned the bus. Both drivers survived.

mahesh_sn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 07:32   #23635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
Accident in sec 17 Vashi, Navi Mumbai. Bus driver jumps the signal merrily. Vento/Jetta looks like it was trying to beat the signal]
That looks like a swift Dzire/ Ciaz.
Old 30th May 2017, 08:40   #23636
Distinguished - BHPian

That Ford Aspire in Madurai accident seems to be bent in the middle as it was stuck at both front and rear end. But how six airbags were deduced by media is baffling.

All five survived with minor injuries. God works in his own mysterious ways.

Last edited by sudev : 30th May 2017 at 08:43.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 09:28   #23637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
Accident in sec 17 Vashi, Navi Mumbai. Bus driver jumps the signal merrily. Vento/Jetta looks like it was trying to beat the signal, couldn't brake in time and T-boned the bus. Both drivers survived.
Why seat belt rule is not enforced for bus and lorry drivers, I cannot understand!!

I hope innocent pedestrians were not injured by the driverless bus.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th May 2017 at 09:29. Reason: Removed video from quoted post
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 09:43   #23638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Why seat belt rule is not enforced for bus and lorry drivers, I cannot understand!!

I hope innocent pedestrians were not injured by the driverless bus.
Erm, I think what he means is that the bus driver jumped the signal... I don't think he jumped off the running bus, to abscond.
Old 30th May 2017, 10:28   #23639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Erm, I think what he means is that the bus driver jumped the signal... I don't think he jumped off the running bus, to abscond.
Watch the video closely and you'll see the bus driver is thrown on to the road due to the impact. And in case you understand Marathi, you can also listen to the news reader describing what happened.
Old 30th May 2017, 11:04   #23640
Team-BHP Support

The bus driver should thank his stars for miraculously escaping getting run over by his own vehicle.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks