Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2017, 15:39   #23806
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The fortuner wanted to save the bikes. He slowed enough and tried to get away from the bike which he did well, but the bus clipped him and basically did the pit maneuver and had no chance as he was basically trying to use the momentum during his swerve.
Yes, the Fortuner wanted to save the bikes, but from himself. He slowed enough but he should not be driving that fast and he should not be overtaking from extreme left at the first place. Bus did not clipped him, he scraped the bus while trying a stunt. He did not know the limitations of driving a SUV and others paid the price of his ignorance and stupidity.

Quote:
Poor XUV had no chance to spot, brake or escape. Even worse was the two motorcyclist following that XUV. Hope they escaped with minor injuries. XUV i hope he was lucky enough to walk away from this unfortunate incident.
3 persons in XUV were killed and apparently all were belted at the time of accident.

Quote:
Lesson to learn is just take care when you overtake in a two lane from the left.
To add to list of lessons learnt:
  • Drive sensibly, insane speeds are for tracks only.
  • Overtake from left only when you do not have a choice and be 100% sure that there is no risk in doing so.
  • SUVs have limitations and we shall not expect them to handle like sedans.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 15:40   #23807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Many people misjudge overtaking maneuvers and think that the driver of the vehicle being overtaken is thinking on similar lines like them.
Many people think that overtaking gives them right of way and, prejudices admitted, the bigger the car the more they seem to think that. It doesn't. It is the overtaking vehicle that should be ready to drop back, change plan, get out of the way, not the other way around.

In fact, most people think like that
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 17:42   #23808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
To add to list of lessons learnt:[*]Drive sensibly, insane speeds are for tracks only.
May I know why do you think this is ? Not sure if I misinterpreted.

Speed, no matter how big or small the vehicle has to be limited and to the extent where the vehicle will behave within the parameters of safety.

The rule of thumb that many of us would have learnt from parents is "The bigger you grow (Age and in society), so does your responsibilities.". Same applies to vehicles.

A motorcyclist may swerve to avoid pothole and get away with it, where as a car driver cannot do same maneuver and get away with it. It impacts more people.

Increase in Speed = Increase in Responsibility
Old 16th June 2017, 18:04   #23809
BHPian

Quote:
3 persons in XUV were killed and apparently all were belted at the time of accident.
It was surely a case of T-bonned accident. And it is very difficult to survive such a crash.
redcruiser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 21:41   #23810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
It was surely a case of T-bonned accident.
It was a Head on collision not a T-Bone.
Old 16th June 2017, 22:54   #23811
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the Fortuner wanted to save the bikes, but from himself. He slowed enough but he should not be driving that fast and he should not be overtaking from extreme left at the first place. Bus did not clipped him, he scraped the bus while trying a stunt.
Totally agree. Irrespective of what the Fortuner driver did to save the bikers or cart or rickshaw, whatever it is, this chain of events is his responsibility. Whether the bus clipped the tail of the Fortuner does not matter either. At those speeds, that sudden maneuver, there is a solid chance your rear would get clipped.

Even if we assume the bus driver was deliberately blocking him from overtaking, legally, I don't think he has any choice other than to wait and overtake from the right when the chance arises.

Forget legally, even if we go by what is normally safe / unsafe on Indian roads, overtaking from the left is risky business on any day. The only reason to overtake from the left is if some other dangerous circumstances force you to do it.
Old 16th June 2017, 23:36   #23812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
It was surely a case of T-bonned accident. And it is very difficult to survive such a crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
It was a Head on collision not a T-Bone.
Yes, it was head on collision. The airbags were also deployed on impact as seen in one of the videos. However, the impact was so hard that airbags and seatbelts were of little use.
Old 17th June 2017, 00:35   #23813
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Prelude:

Last week my car was involved in a small accident in Pune. In a busy square, a Mahindra pickup truck attempted to jump red signal but was refrained by a Traffic cop. Cop asked him to reverse his vehicle. The driver got scared & he hurriedly reversed his truck & banged on my car. I inspected damage immediately & asked the driver to stop after the signal. Initially, he tried to flee, but I intercepted him soon. At first, he tried to deny any damage of my vehicle. After we raised our tone, he immediately became apologetic. I was never intending to take any compensation from him as my car is a leased one maintained by Orix & ideally it should not cost me anything to repair. My car was sent for repair & delivered yesterday. I had protected the footage of DVR at the time of the incident. But I never bothered to check, as it was never my fault & matter was resolved.

Fast forward today:
I was going to install DVR back after the car came back from the garage. I thought just for safety I will take the backup of footage. For the first time, I checked it carefully. I noticed something which actually shocked me.

A boy selling stuff on signal was crossing my car from the front, while that truck was reversing at high speed. The boy had just crossed few seconds prior to the hit. That pickup truck had a bull bar, which did hit my car very badly. The boy was not looking towards tempo at all. So just by few seconds, boy was saved from a major injury. I recognize this boy very well as I cross the same signal daily since past 3 years. I particularly recognize him, because, I always find him chewing pan masala/Gutakha. I always feel sorry for him as he is quite young.

Thank god nothing happened to the boy. But if he would have been sandwiched between two vehicles, he would have suffered a major injury to his legs. I can not even visualize the further agony that even I would have to go through. Luckily nothing irreversible happened.
VaibhaoT is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 00:40   #23814
BHPian

One question. Why was the Fortuner at the left of the bus when he could have easily made a conventional overtaking maneuver from the right as there seems to be plenty of empty space (the bus looks like it's in the middle lane to me, from whatever I can make out from the video)and anyone could have had a much more sane overtake from the right? Why was he scrounging for space in a wrong space? Habit? Ignorance? Indifference? Or I can't see that there is something on the right and this guy really needed to be at the Parliament in time??
Old 17th June 2017, 01:10   #23815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
One question. Why was the Fortuner at the left of the bus when he could have easily made a conventional overtaking maneuver from the right as there seems to be plenty of empty space (the bus looks like it's in the middle lane to me, from whatever I can make out from the video)
From what I see, this is a 2+2 Laned Highway(with a sand shoulder on each side?) and the Fortuner driver expected the Bus to slow down and let him make a clean pass or misjudged the maneuver entirely.
Quote:
Or I can't see that there is something on the right and this guy really needed to be at the Parliament in time??

Sweet stereotype
Old 17th June 2017, 06:27   #23816
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Prelude:

Last week my car was involved in a small accident in Pune. In a busy square, a Mahindra pickup truck attempted to jump red signal but was refrained by a Traffic cop. ......
Thank god nothing happened to the boy. But if he would have been sandwiched between two vehicles, he would have suffered a major injury to his legs. I can not even visualize the further agony that even I would have to go through. Luckily nothing irreversible happened.
Thank god nothing happened to the boy!

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th June 2017 at 12:46. Reason: Post moved, please use report post in future. Thanks.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 07:28   #23817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
From what I see, this is a 2+2 Laned Highway(with a sand shoulder on each side?) and the Fortuner driver expected the Bus to slow down and let him make a clean pass or misjudged the maneuver entirely
Yes but he could have done that from the right too and looks like he would have had better chances of being successful there. The only reason I can think of him being on the left is that maybe he joined the highway from some left lane and was too lazy to move over to the right side or is a guy who doesn't like to take sides and just butts into any space he finds, and position be damned.

Would have been good if we had some bhpian in the area who could ask him later as to what is the name of that maneuver he tried to pull off and what was he thinking. Just so he could share it and help us other bhpians to possibly avoid thinking on those same lines​ in our driving in similar situations maybe....
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 12:31   #23818
BHPian

Quote:
Yes but he could have done that from the right too and looks like he would have had better chances of being successful there. The only reason I can think of him being on the left is that maybe he joined the highway from some left lane and was too lazy to move over to the right side or is a guy who doesn't like to take sides and just butts into any space he finds, and position be damned.

Would have been good if we had some bhpian in the area who could ask him later as to what is the name of that maneuver he tried to pull off and what was he thinking. Just so he could share it and help us other bhpians to possibly avoid thinking on those same lines​ in our driving in similar situations maybe....
I don't know about how things are in other states. But in Punjab, ego is the biggest factor here. These guys in their SUV's just thinks that they have a right to way no matter what the situation is. They presumes that others will manage and give space to them, if they want to overtake they'll just do it. In case they don't​ get a way then they take it as a personal attack on their huge egos. Living in Punjab, i see these kinds of crazy manoeuvres on a daily basis, situation is really pathetic. In the cctv footage also, i can cleary see this happening. He must have presumed that he will get away with overtaking taking everything for granted.

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 17th June 2017 at 12:32.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 23:11   #23819
Senior - BHPian

Strange sort of accident here - does the crysta really require Mae West bar / underrun protection like a truck does to avoid low slung cars from getting stuck under them? See this baleno shared from another forum
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2830.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2828.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2829.jpg  

hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 03:00   #23820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Strange sort of accident here - does the crysta really require Mae West bar / underrun protection like a truck does to avoid low slung cars from getting stuck under them? See this baleno shared from another forum
That much intrusion is quite common in rear-end collisions especially when the vehicle on the receiving end is stationary.
Even with an under-run bar it could happen because there is a chance that the Innova's rear would have been slightly tossed up in the air on impact , and landed back straight on the still speeding Baleno's bumper.

That is not the case with heavy trucks which can't simply be tossed up like that by a car and so, obviously an under-run bar serves the purpose well on a truck.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th June 2017 at 10:04. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed