Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2017, 23:35   #23851
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post

Lady in an alto exits her apartment basement which has a very stupid entrance btw, right in front of the road. While she was on the incline, her seat slid back and she tried to brake but in the confusion, she hit the accelerator instead.
Seems a pretty low-speed impact so hopefully no bad injuries.

What's with the driving away though? Did she stop outside the CCTV's field-of-view?

She got onto the pavement and nearly rammed the other biker too who had the good sense to get out of her way.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:56   #23852
BHPian

Quote:
This happened in front my house, the CCTV's were recording luckily.

Lady in an alto exits her apartment basement which has a very stupid entrance btw, right in front of the road. While she was on the incline, her seat slid back and she tried to brake but in the confusion, she hit the accelerator instead.
I appears that she knocked down 2 bikes rather than 1. While I understand she may have lost her footing, I think she should have stopped and not driven away.
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:12   #23853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Destroying the vehicle is becoming more and more common these days
Its very dis-heartening to see a car being damaged by the mob. There are few folks in the crowd who might have come for daily chores (can see one man with a carry bag in his hand) and venting their "anger?" or opportunity to damage someone else's property. Not sure if they are directly related/connected to the accident, but they are just using the so called opportunity to give way to their hidden anger and jealousy against those having more money/resources.
I am not commenting on as to whose mistake led to the accident, but there is no reason for anyone to damage a vehicle just like that.

Hope our law enforcement agencies were empowered enough and have willingness to act against these goons, who are clearly visible in the video, infact many are recording the incident themselves while pelting stones on the car.

Quote:
.... her seat slid back and she tried to brake but in the confusion, she hit the accelerator instead.
Doesn't look like the seat slid back, as she was able to drive the car (when she crossed your home) after hitting the bike. I would say ts sheer confusion or lack of experience that led to putting the foot on accelerator instead of "the brake".

Last edited by trave11er : 22nd June 2017 at 12:16.
trave11er is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:51   #23854
Senior - BHPian

Came accross this accident : http://www.daijiworld.com/news/newsD...?newsID=457426

As per the report in above link, driver of Eeco lost control of vehicle after tyre burst.

I am surprised at how much damage can the Eeco, atleast a decade old design, do to a relatively modern car like Celerio.
Or is it due to the bull bars ?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-udipi-accident-eeco.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-udipi-acident-celerio.jpg  

aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:57   #23855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am surprised at how much damage can the Eeco, atleast a decade old design, do to a relatively modern car like Celerio.
Eeco : People carrier, more occupants (Assume), heavier mass, more momentum --> Inefficient Braking. Before I forget, the Bull Bar too!

Celerio: May be driven at slower pace than Eeco, or even stationary? May be the Celerio Driver either hard braked or braked harder soon after this impact in panic resulting in more damage than the Eeco?

A lot of such possibilities and we will never be able to conclude unless we know what really happened here.

EDIT: I has attended a similar accident where a M800 rear ended a parked Swift on the shoulder of NICE Road here. Very less damage to M800 but it had ensured to protrude into the Swift, almost all the way till the second row seat like you see here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd June 2017 at 13:02.
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:28   #23856
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Eeco : People carrier, more occupants (Assume), heavier mass, more momentum --> Inefficient Braking. Before I forget, the Bull Bar too!

Celerio: May be driven at slower pace than Eeco, or even stationary? May be the Celerio Driver either hard braked or braked harder soon after this impact in panic resulting in more damage than the Eeco?
Both cars share their share of anomalies here. On the Celerio's part, the rear quarter panel is made of thin steel and is a crumple zone, which has done its job. Hatch door has taken the beating of the bull bar, but due to thicker metal, you can notice that the crumpling effect is less. The quarter panel OTOH has twisted like paper.

The Eeco could have taken some of the damage if it didnt have a bull bar, and its false bonnet would have absorbed most of the force of the collision. But due to the bull bar, the physics involved in the design of the car seems to have been overridden. Also like Parag mentioned, if the driver of the Celerio had held the brakes tight, it would have aggravated the issue. Maybe if the road ahead was clear and if the celerio was not braked, the damages would have been limited to a ripped off bumper and a dent on the bootlid

My Cousins SX4 was rammed head on into by a police vehicle when parked and the force was such that the vehicle was moved off its initial position by a good 10-15ft. This was due to the handbrakes being weak. However, the damage was contained to a fender, headlight, front bumper and bonnet and did not affect the structural members. This was because the car moved after the impact dissipating some of the force.

Last edited by audioholic : 22nd June 2017 at 13:31.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:30   #23857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trave11er View Post
I am not commenting on as to whose mistake led to the accident, but there is no reason for anyone to damage a vehicle just like that.

Hope our law enforcement agencies were empowered enough and have willingness to act against these goons
What you said is just one aspect of that.
From a car owner's perspective it may seem right.

But not every car that creates accident is vandalised by the mob like that.
When a whole mob is acting in such an infuriated way, there are chances that there would a valid reason behind that.

Overspeeding, drunken driving, or racing on the streets and then causing casualty due to sheer negligence is not something that would always be dealt with patience by the mob.

The mob fury is instantaneous and has nothing much to do with the size or value of the car.

Cops have their own limitations in controlling such incidents, and in our country by the time the cops reach the accident scene, the mob would have already dispersed.

You can't expect the mob to greet you with garlands after running over a kid or knocking down a senior citizen due to your own negligence.

And the attitude of the driver also counts.
If he or she is not polite,unapologetic or indifferent to the accident victims, or tries to flee from the scene without stopping, that is just like inviting the mob to vandalise his/her own car.

Doing careful and vigilant driving is the only option left open to avoid such things from happening.Rest everything is one's destiny.
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:45   #23858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post

But not every car that creates accident is vandalised by the mob like that.
When a whole mob is acting in such an infuriated way, there are chances that there would a valid reason behind that.

Overspeeding, drunken driving, or racing on the streets and then causing casualty due to sheer negligence is not something that would always be dealt with patience by the mob.

The mob fury is instantaneous and has nothing much to do with the size or value of the car.

You can't expect the mob to greet you with garlands after running over a kid or knocking down a senior citizen due to your own negligence.

Doing careful and vigilant driving is the only option left open to avoid such things from happening.Rest everything is one's destiny.
Agree with most of the part. Just that few questions came in my mind
If mob fury is "instantaneous ", it may not "always" be correct, right?
How many times mob show patience while handling accident cases, before the violent reaction?
If if we assume the driver is drunk, is there a possibility that the accident victim is not drunk? Or how many people from the crowd are not drunk or are they simply enjoying the scene?
How many times does the mob takes a constructive decision ? Why should it always be destructive ?

I am not taking sides, just that in such cases,I feel that people attack and try to vent their anger (not at all related to the incident in most of the cases) by taking undue advantage of the situation.
trave11er is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:17   #23859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trave11er View Post
How many times does the mob takes a constructive decision ? Why should it always be destructive ?
Very true. No one has a right to destroy some other person's property. It is, by definition, illegal. I see mob violence in such cases as opportunity-based vigilantism. Even if a vehicle knocked down a person, no one has the right to damage the vehicle. If such things happens, it means there has been a failure of law enforcement to prevent such an occurrence. At the end of the day, people are emotion beings. I can understand some would want to vent out their frustrations. This is why, there needs to be a more responsive police force to ensure such things don't happen. Unfortunately, our police force is often understaffed or insufficiently trained to take effective steps to prevent such things.
DriverR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:46   #23860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Unfortunately, our police force is often understaffed or insufficiently trained to take effective steps to prevent such things.
While we understand that police department is under-staffed, but would it help taking action against the people on the basis of video evidence? Ofcourse these are "post-incident" actions, but atleast it could set an example in front of the mob - that some one is watching their act and action will be taken against them as well. This may make the so-called mob in the mood of doing justice to the victims, think twice before taking law in their hands.

I know this is a dream and their is no ideal way of this happening in our land!
trave11er is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:49   #23861
Senior - BHPian

Came across this article regarding a KTM duke accident. A 15 year old lost his life in an accident involving a duke which he was riding. According to eye witnesses and police, the teenager Mohammad Umar Sheikh studying in 8th standard had got this bike as a present from his parents and was doing dangerous stunts at high speeds. He lost control and was injured critically. His neighbor who was riding pillion with him is in critical condition.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ktm390duke2017.jpg

Dont know how parents can provide the kids with these kind of powerful machines. I used to see even during my college days , school kids riding activas, scootys and such when the LL used to clearly say that it is for <50cc and min age limit being 16 years. Its more a bad parenting than anything else here.

More source and info from India.com
TorqueyTechie is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:33   #23862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
got this bike as a present from his parents.
Dont know how parents can provide the kids with these kind of powerful machines.
90% fault is with parents. How can they be so irresponsible to present such a gift to a kid. There is a reason to have age limit to get licence. At least the parents have seen the world and know what can go wrong when an immature kid drive this, that too on an Indian road. Until a tragedy strike us or someone close to us, most people think that these accidents happen only to others.

My mom used to say that she will never let me buy a motorbike before I turn 35. After seeing many people whom I know getting injured or losing their lives in bike accidents, I myself became paranoid and don't ride two wheelers.

These parents will regret their decision for their entire life. I guess we should make everyone go through this thread when they are learning to drive just as a reality check. Our roads are full of overconfident drivers who don't even know/care about basic road manners and traffic rules.
Midas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:41   #23863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came accross this accident : http://www.daijiworld.com/news/newsD...?newsID=457426

As per the report in above link, driver of Eeco lost control of vehicle after tyre burst.

OMG, That Celerio turned into Renault Twizy.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:20   #23864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
90% fault is with parents. How can they be so irresponsible to present such a gift to a kid. There is a reason to have age limit to get licence.
On the contrary, it's 100% fault with the parents. Case should be filed against them. It's criminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
My mom used to say that she will never let me buy a motorbike before I turn 35..
On a lighter note, that's too harsh
Vasuki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:59   #23865
BHPian

I think its very common for small town kids to learn driving at a tender age. I, myself, learned riding 2 wheelers at the age of 8-9. But I was not allowed to take the Bajaj Chetak without any adult supervision. At the age of 15-16 I was allowed to go alone with a 2 KM restriction. My father taught me about the importace of road safety first. I was taught the basic rules and road signs before hopping on the seat.

I in neither way promoting underage driving
. But the fact is that almost 80% of small towners learn driving/riding at a very tender age but these kind of incidents are although rare, if you go by the number of underage drivers, yet alarming. Police should take this kids parents into custody for homicide and set an example.

Poor soul

RIP
Ry_der is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks