Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2017, 21:28   #23881
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I don't know about everyone here, but every KTM I have seen on the road are driven rashly. It's as if the rider has a moral responsibility to drive like they are in a circus.
I think that generalisation with specific emphasis on the word "every" KTM is a bit harsh.

I have seen many KTMs being ridden quite decently, and I have seen equal number of Fazers and Pulsars being driven recklessly too.

The thing is that we specifically notice and remember some random biker only when he behaves recklessly and shows some madness on the road.
You surely would have passed by so many other KTM riders who would have been driving decently without any hooliganism, and you wouldn't have even noticed them since there was nothing unusual to take note of.

I agree that due to the aggressive and sporty nature of the bike, so many young wannabe-racers and bike-stunters are buying it and driving it quite recklessly on streets these days.
But this keeps happening.Previously it was FZ-16 that these crazy stunters used to buy and then modify it for street-stunting.
Before that it was Pulsar.It goes on like that.

But we can't generalize all riders of a particular bike as rash, just due to the fact that some irresponsible hooligans are also buying the same bike in huge numbers and riding it in their own reckless way.
It will be an insult to the other law-abiding riders.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 23:33   #23882
BHPian

I think every one is correct in his own right. I believe riding anything man made will have a group who are rash and one which is senile. Has any one heard a horse/bullock/mule being driven rashly. I think anything which has brains of its own will think of safety first. A brainless creature on any two/three/four/multi wheels is a security hazard for self as well as others.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 11:33   #23883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
I think that generalisation with specific emphasis on the word "every" KTM is a bit harsh.
I think the generalisation is pretty fair, every time I hear that sputter or whatever name is that exhaust sound called, I brace myself for some reckless maneover by the rider, and proven right almost always :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
I have seen many KTMs being ridden quite decently, and I have seen equal number of Fazers and Pulsars being driven recklessly too.
Maybe it was bumper to bumper traffic, they are comparatively restrained in that , The confidence that these guys have in the machines, must be emanating from superior pickup and braking ability of the bike, never ridden one, dont intend to either, just do your thing and dont scare the wits out of ordinary people, dear KTM bikers!
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 12:28   #23884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
I think the generalisation is pretty fair, every time I hear that sputter or whatever name is that exhaust sound called, I brace myself for some reckless maneover by the rider,

One think we should remember here is, reckless maneuvers aside, the sound of the KTM silencer(which I think is now subdued a lot in the BSIV versions due to revised silencer setup) is much louder than normal sound which tends to make one scared mostly out of irritation and suddenness. I don't have the correct word, but a louder exhaust sounds generally acts on the senses in a cautionary way so that might scare you into being more careful not to get in the way.

But believe you me, if all the vehicles around had their exhausts that noisy, you'd not even venture out on the road . So I think, the sound here makes a bigger impact than the reckless rider in this case. If you keep that in mind, you can be better prepared.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 16:00   #23885
BHPian

Telugu film actor Ravi Teja's younger brother Bharath was killed when his car collided with a lorry in Shamshabad area in Hyderabad, police said on Sunday.

http://www.timesnow.tv/india/article...amshabad/64198
gurudutt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 17:13   #23886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Telugu film actor Ravi Teja's younger brother Bharath was killed when his car collided with a lorry in Shamshabad area in Hyderabad
Apparently he was under the influence of alcohol and was overspeeding on the ORR. The speedo needle was stuck at 145KMPH. Fortunately, he didn't kill any innocent road users.

Pferdestarke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 08:33   #23887
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please avoid off-topic posts and also any stereotyping of KTM riders.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 08:33   #23888
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this Ertiga parked at JDP Junction at Cubbon Park Police Station this morning on my way to work:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170627_064551.jpg

Possible reason for this: I can relate only one as I noticed a Tall Lamp post including the concrete support holding it smashed and dislocated from its place right at the signal that I passed before here.

Presumably a case of DUI or beating that Green light before it turned read and eventually hitting this pole to avoid someone else approaching from the side.

Damage looks substantial but only till the A Pillar on the right hand side as I passed this soon after taking right here.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 12:59   #23889
Senior - BHPian

I crossed an accident site on Sunday on the Vellore Chennai highway close to ranipet.
Looks like the autorickshaw had been rear ended and then crashed into the median wall or a vehicle in front.
There was plenty of glass.
It looks like the accident had happened a while ago as there was no crowd, etc.
Hope noone was injured.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20170627124004157.jpeg
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 16:11   #23890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Are these allowed on the roads?
Attachment 1650519
These are all Road Illegal Quad bikes. These neither cant be registered under RTO/RTA nor does have any insurance. These are generally used for recreational or farm purposes, but definitely not Road legal. Cops can/authorized to seize such vehicles if driven ON ROAD.
kicksperliter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 18:10   #23891
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498567118.846047.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498567137.479787.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1498567152.380274.jpg

Saw this horribly crashed Kwid on ORR, Bangalore this evening. Not sure what happened, looks like a hit and roll over case.
Old 27th June 2017, 19:00   #23892
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this Scorpio on Lucknow-Agra Expressway, looked like a high speed roll-over accident.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170627_183822.jpg

This Rajasthan registered Etios being towed on the Expressway. The driver was sitting inside.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170627_183914.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170627_183944.jpg
Old 27th June 2017, 22:37   #23893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Apparently he was under the influence of alcohol and was overspeeding on the ORR. The speedo needle was stuck at 145KMPH. Fortunately, he didn't kill any innocent road users.
Yet another careless accident on the ORR claiming another life. I was on the same stretch that night on the way to the airport to drop my cousin. It rained constantly and I was hesitant to even cross 80 kph since the visibility was poor and I had a constant fear of aquaplaning.

I wonder if majority of folks even know what aquaplaning is, since i spotted quite a few cars zipping past, doing triple digit speeds that too in heavy rain. This guy apparently had quit drinking 3 years back, was driving on the extreme left lane of the freeway meant for the trucks at breakneck speeds and I bet he wasn't wearing a seatbelt just like many other drivers in Hyderabad. Whatever it is, is pure negligence and carelessness putting his own and other commuter's lives in danger. No sympathy for this person.

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2017 at 23:22. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
Travelling_Monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 02:42   #23894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Monk View Post
It rained constantly and I was hesitant to even cross 80 kph since the visibility was poor and I had a constant fear of aquaplaning.

I wonder if majority of folks even know what aquaplaning is, since i spotted quite a few cars zipping past, doing triple digit speeds that too in heavy rain. .
True! I doubt that most drivers know about aquaplaning. But even if one doesn't, it's simple logic that a wet surface is slippery, be it you walking in chappals, or a car driving on it! It's surprising how so many people drive fast in the rain.
I guess they need to experience it to believe. I experienced it once, it was minor but still I realized just how dangerous aquaplaning can be. Even at speeds as slow as 40, I felt the steering go light just for a split second, and then back to normal (There was a huge puddle of standing water).
I think tyre ads,etc. should enlighten people about aquaplaning as well.
Old 28th June 2017, 05:47   #23895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Monk View Post
I wonder if majority of folks even know what aquaplaning is
Definitely not. Even my own parents had no clue about it until a few years back. I remember how they drove from Hyderabad to Bangalore to see how I was doing in college, and in conversation they mentioned how heavily it rained and how I should deal with the car in the holidays because some lights were flashing on the console and the steering feel was inconsistent. I asked how fast they were travelling and the answer was 140-160kph I was absolutely shocked! I had to explain to them that firstly those speeds are dangerous even in the best of conditions especially in a country like ours, and secondly I had to explain how catastrophic aqua-planing could be and that the yellow flashing lights on the console was probably the traction control working extremely hard going mad. That said, my parents never committed the same mistake again. I feel like all of this just needs to be taught to people and while it is part of what ought to be learnt to get one's driving license, we all know how easily it is procured. I for one had a cop stop me, come up to my computer and select all the answers for me before sending me off from my theory test this country is so lazy and corrupt that people are no longer even interested in letting people know about such things before they are allowed to drive.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th June 2017 at 05:48.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed