Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2017, 09:21   #23896
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Monk View Post
I wonder if majority of folks even know what aquaplaning is, since i spotted quite a few cars zipping past, doing triple digit speeds that too in heavy rain.
The average joe won't be able pronounce aquaplaning, let alone know what it is.

Today while coming to work, it was raining heavily. And the number of people just zipping on wet roads was too damn high. A month or so back, after a heavy bout of rain, I had to gather a few of my colleagues and make them understand not to drive fast on wet roads. These guys were clueless about aquaplaning. And this is your 'educated engineering-MBA' lot.
cataclysm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 09:46   #23897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
These guys were clueless about aquaplaning. And this is your 'educated engineering-MBA' lot.
You would think engineers would know about "Friction coefficient" and apply it in real life rather than just in a first sem engineering paper.

But then I just read in today's paper of an IIT graduate who ignored "beware of crocodiles" signs and decided to bathe his dogs in a lake in a reserve forest, with predictable results. So my faith in mankind is kind of low at the moment.
hserus is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 11:01   #23898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You would think engineers would know about "Friction coefficient" and apply it in real life rather than just in a first sem engineering paper.
Hahahahaha I feel there ought to be a separate thread itself for the number of occasions a desi engineering student is unable to understand practical instances of simple high-school science. I remember once seeing an engineering student having his car washed at the local garage. After all the shampoo was hosed off, he requested the boy cleaning the car to stop, pointed to the frosty looking windows and windshield, and asked the owner whether the shampoo that was used has eroded the glass the guy could not even comprehend the simple phenomenon of condensation in effect

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th June 2017 at 11:06.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 12:00   #23899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Monk View Post
... It rained constantly and I was hesitant to even cross 80 kph since the visibility was poor and I had a constant fear of aquaplaning.

I wonder if majority of folks even know what aquaplaning is, since i spotted quite a few cars zipping past, doing triple digit speeds that too in heavy rain. ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
... it's simple logic that a wet surface is slippery, be it you walking in chappals, or a car driving on it! It's surprising how so many people drive fast in the rain.
I guess they need to experience it to believe. I experienced it once, it was minor but still I realized just how dangerous aquaplaning can be. Even at speeds as slow as 40, I felt the steering go light just for a split second, and then back to normal
Quote:

... the number of people just zipping on wet roads was too damn high.
A very disturbing and dangerous trend indeed.
People have no problem associating "wet" with slippery, its simple common sense and it prevails, slowing them and being careful while walking or running on slippery surfaces, but while driving, the same common sense seems to be forgotten and majority seem to drive in "I'm invincible" kind of mode.

The problem is, they don't realize how easily the vehicle can acquaplane on a wet road even at slower speeds. Even 80kph iis far too high and could be dangerous in such situations. Have to be much much slower and even more careful while braking around curves (high risk of the rear fish-tailing on wet roads)

Until people have personally experienced acquaplaning, they'll always be in "it won't happen with me" attitude. The tyres feel grippy until it gives away suddenly and all control is lost in those scary split seconds (which feels like eternity) and anything can happen.

It's better not to learn the hard way by experiencing acquaplaning, people have to be educated through graphically chilling/disturbing video demonstrations regularly in all possible channels to make them realize how serious it is.
Just explaining the phenomenon verbally will fall through deaf ears "it won't happen to me" mode of listening.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 28th June 2017 at 12:11.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 12:51   #23900
BHPian

http://belarusfeed.com/tank-accident-minsk/

In the context of 'aquaplaning', reproducing the first lines given in the above and the video link for quick reference.

"A tank might be a weighty military vehicle, but it’s still a car. So it can get into accidents, just like civil vehicles do."

The above incident happened in Minsk, Belarus on June 24th during a rehearsal for their parade on July 3rd, when one tank was late and was speeding to catch up with the rest of the column.

Just look for yourself in the article to see what a lampost could do to a Tank!
batman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 12:57   #23901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Just look for yourself in the article to see what a lampost could do to a Tank!
Yes, the tank requires some repairs. Looks like the base of lamppost was made of concrete.
Old 28th June 2017, 13:28   #23902
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The average joe can't even pronounce skidding and stopping distance, but they have no trouble saying tailgating!

Aquaplaning is less likely than just skidding. A car does not aquaplane on a wet road: it only happens with a sufficient layer of solid water, such as happens in cloud burst (or any decent monsoon rain) But the difference is academic: skidding can kill too.

One can drive fast on wet roads. It takes good tyres and a modicum of skill, mostly knowing what you can't do, rather than thinking we know what we can do. Those who do not see any difference driving on a wet road are just deaths waiting to happen; theirs or somebody else's. Or, at least... bent cars. Or tanks.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 13:59   #23903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Aquaplaning is less likely than just skidding. A car does not aquaplane on a wet road: it only happens with a sufficient layer of solid water, such as happens in cloud burst (or any decent monsoon rain) But the difference is academic: skidding can kill too.
May be so in most countries but with our tropical climate, heavy rains are a default in the monsoon season and with our undulated roads that aren't really all that smooth and flat, "sufficient layer" of water is encountered quite often.
Old 28th June 2017, 14:53   #23904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
May be so in most countries but with our tropical climate, heavy rains are a default in the monsoon season and with our undulated roads that aren't really all that smooth and flat, "sufficient layer" of water is encountered quite often.
Add to it,

1. the slimy clay soil (collected over sides of roads) that mixes with water on the tarmac that causes uneven patchy locations.
2. Sudden ad hoc channels and canals dug by locals and departments to channelize water.
3. Departments breaking concrete manholes for water to get into sewers.

There is only one way we can drive safely in our country during monsoon.

DRIVE SLOW with Hazards and headlights on.
Old 28th June 2017, 14:59   #23905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
There is only one way we can drive safely in our country during monsoon.

DRIVE SLOW with Hazards and headlights on.
As long as you stick to the slow lane I hope. Some people travel unnecessarily slowly as soon as it starts to rain. Either they are not sure they have the skills to handle their car at normal speeds or they are unfamiliar with the road surface. Either way, please don't block the right lane going slowly. Also what is the need for hazard lights in the rain? Never understood this. It is very common in Bangalore. When one's headlights are on, isn't it easy to see the glow of their tail lights from behind? What is the need for everyone to have all their indicators flashing like as if it is a zombie apocalypse?
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 15:07   #23906
BHPian

Quote:
These guys were clueless about aquaplaning. And this is your 'educated engineering-MBA' lot.
While you keep your expectations and hope way up high, here in Bangalore I wonder why the educated idiots drive on the wrong side of the road / divider / jump signals etc. What education is required to achieve that level of common sense?
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 15:16   #23907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
While you keep your expectations and hope way up high, here in Bangalore I wonder why the educated idiots drive on the wrong side of the road / divider / jump signals etc. What education is required to achieve that level of common sense?
The basic mentality of Indians goes like this

1. Who is he or she to advise me. I know everything
2. I need to reach my destination (whether it is home or final destination of every mortal born on earth is subject to debate) early by hook or crook even if it means violating traffic norms
3. I have shelled out X amount of money for purchasing the vehicle. I need to break even sooner than later. Let me overload the vehicle and go fast.
4. If at all any problem is there in the vehicle, let us push further without spending too much on repairs and then we will see. Basically CHALTHA HAI attitude.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 15:23   #23908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
When one's headlights are on, isn't it easy to see the glow of their tail lights from behind? What is the need for everyone to have all their indicators flashing like as if it is a zombie apocalypse?
True and I agree. More than confidence on one's skills, its the other factors that I mentioned earlier contribute to be overly cautious. The road which was good before rain, would have been "modified" due to rain by unauthorized or authorized people with least care for safety.

Be it two, three or four wheels, driving in rain at slow or medium pace is much appreciated and not all drivers are equally skilled. If I have one more light to make people around and behind me as aware as possible, I think there is no harm. Especially in a scenario, where we are not sure if our tail lights are working or not. It happens to all.

Why take risk ? This works especially for slow moving cars cause the drivers behind can easily know that there is something wrong with the cars with hazards on and take appropriate decision.

Slow moving cars on fast lane, eating snacks, on mobile, watching videos while driving in rain is becoming usual sight now days. And along comes the necessity for hard braking and associated scenarios for such people.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 15:46   #23909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
If I have one more light to make people around and behind me as aware as possible, I think there is no harm.
How do you signal lane change/turn with your hazards on? Hazards are meant only to signal a stationary hazard on the road, nothing else.
black_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 16:01   #23910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
How do you signal lane change/turn with your hazards on? Hazards are meant only to signal a stationary hazard on the road, nothing else.
Yes, that's why it is banned too in few places.

But what other option do I have to make myself more visible in pouring rain and warn trailing traffic that I am moving at slower pace due to rain ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks